Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Sport/Athletes

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Re: Canadian Sport/Athletes

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I wouldn't say she always waits for it to bounce. Many times she doesn't. She also misses a lot of them when she doesn't wait. But her playing style is always going to lead to more unforced errors. In that way, she's like Serena.
    I didn't say she waits for it to bounce, she still usually volleys it. but she's giving up the angles everytime she does it and rather than putting it away her opponent is usually still able to get a decent racket on it
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    I didn't say she waits for it to bounce, she still usually volleys it. but she's giving up the angles everytime she does it and rather than putting it away her opponent is usually still able to get a decent racket on it
    Sorry, I misread. Maybe that's something she can work on.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Raonic advances to play Federer in the semi-final, 6-7, 6-2, 6-4, 7-6 with a well served, very poised performance.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Two Canadians in the semi-finals at Wimbledon. I honestly never thought I'd see the day.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Genie's semi tomorrow. Raonic on Friday. Respective finals on Sat/Sun.

This could be historic. Already is, really. Wow.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Regardless of how they finish, it is conceivable that after this week we could have a male & female both ranked inside the top 10 in the world.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

What a great match. Genie takes the first set in a tiebreak. One set away from the final.

Genie has to get Halep moving a little more. Too many points are being dictated by Halep.

vCash
    Blog Entries

10 winners and 16 unforced errors in that first set. If she can turn that around, she'll be golden.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Bouchard dominating now. Up 2 breaks in the second set.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well it took 6 match points, but Genie is off to the Wimbledon final! 7-6, 6-2

vCash

I know many have started slamming all the "bandwagon jumpers" that have arrived because of the success of Bouchard & Raonic.
    I guess I'm one of those, but I tend to look at it in a positive light. I think the last time I seriously watched tennis on TV, Evert, Connors & McEnroe dominated for the US. I'm intrigued by the magic our two tennis heroes have shown this year. Yes, I will be up early Saturday to watch TSN. No, I haven't watched a single match all year ('cept for the first set this AM). Yes, I will be cheering like crazy for Genie (and hopefully Milos) in the finals on the weekend). And because of thousands of people like me, recognition of what these two amazing athletes (and Tennis Canada) have achieved will shoot through the roof. And that's not a bad thing in my opinion, because they deserve it!
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

100% Tennis Canada deserves laurels (and the players too, I guess) for making me interested in tennis. I'm bandwagoning these two like crazy right now and I'm not about to feel bad about being a late adopter.

Super Moderator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I know many have started slamming all the "bandwagon jumpers" that have arrived because of the success of Bouchard & Raonic.
    I guess I'm one of those, but I tend to look at it in a positive light. I think the last time I seriously watched tennis on TV, Evert, Connors & McEnroe dominated for the US. I'm intrigued by the magic our two tennis heroes have shown this year. Yes, I will be up early Saturday to watch TSN. No, I haven't watched a single match all year ('cept for the first set this AM). Yes, I will be cheering like crazy for Genie (and hopefully Milos) in the finals on the weekend). And because of thousands of people like me, recognition of what these two amazing athletes (and Tennis Canada) have achieved will shoot through the roof. And that's not a bad thing in my opinion, because they deserve it!
    Chris Evert & Bjorn Borg....

I don't know what people expect? Until now Canadians have not had any reason to watch the sport. Now there is something to cheer for.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

As a longtime Tennis fan, I am fine with the bandwagon jumpers or whatever you want to call them. The more the merrier.

vCash

It reminds me of the Olympic bandwagon fans.... GUILTY!!! Good luck to the both of them!

vCash

Always been a tennis fan. Played it alot as a teen and early twentysomething. Amazing to finally see some Canadians involved at the high levels. Bouchard has been building on this since she won the junior Wimbledon title a few years ago. She has the makings of being something special in the tennis world. Canada should be very proud.

Athlete of the year !!! Go Genie !!
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

As a long time Federer fan (he's been my fave forever), it makes it a bit more palatable that Milos didn't win today.

Very proud of him for his accomplishment at Wimblefon - prior to Wimbledon he considered grass his weakest surface.

The semi-finals were symbolic in that 2 of the 'big 4' played 2 of the 'little 3'...I think we'll be seeing more of these match-ups in semis & finals to come.

vCash

Raonic played pretty well despite going down in straight sets... Federer was just Federer and didn't make any mistakes, and managed to get that one break every set to put it away. I like that Raonic never came unglued like he often has in the past when he got down, he played a very poised game, just made a couple too many mistakes on a day Federer wasn't going to make any. I think he'll know next time he has to play a bit more aggressively to force his opponent to open up more, cause I think he kinda played more of Federer's style game today.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I missed the match but saw a lot of criticism on twitter. I think losing to Federer in the Wimbledon semi final shouldn't be criticized.

What a douche this guy is.

Super Moderator

vCash

Him and Madani are running a dead heat for nozzle of the year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Him and Madani are running a dead heat for nozzle of the year.
    Funny how Madani completely ignored the CFL for awhile when NONE of his statements came to fruition
    #PizStrong

vCash

I missed the match but saw a lot of criticism on twitter. I think losing to Federer in the Wimbledon semi final shouldn't be criticized.
    No kidding. I didn't see the match either but losing to Federer in three close sets, on his best surface, is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I'd rather he went for it and missed than not go for it at all. From the numbers it looks pretty darn close - 89-75 in total points won, which isn't more than a point every two-three games or so.

If Raonic can carry the momentum into the US and the Aussie he'll get another shot.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Funny how Madani completely ignored the CFL for awhile when NONE of his statements came to fruition
    He's licking his wounds. I don't think he made himself any friends with all that crap...

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Damien Cox is doing his damndest to join the "Toronto Sports Media Clowns" circus
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Well... that was a whooping

Kvitova was just dialed in, and was hammering the ball deep and at great angles, and took away Bouchards ability to play aggressively... and Bouchard seemed off, which was probably at least partially a result of the the previous. Kvitova had a game plan and executed it beautifully, and Genie just had no answer.

Helluva run anyway, and I'm sure she'll learn a lot from it and the final

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    Raonic played pretty well despite going down in straight sets... Federer was just Federer and didn't make any mistakes, and managed to get that one break every set to put it away. I like that Raonic never came unglued like he often has in the past when he got down, he played a very poised game, just made a couple too many mistakes on a day Federer wasn't going to make any. I think he'll know next time he has to play a bit more aggressively to force his opponent to open up more, cause I think he kinda played more of Federer's style game today.
    Raonic will continue to improve. I looked up the stats from his match with Federer. He did really well against the best guy out there.

Raonic's fastest serve was 224kph vs 201 for Federer and he has 17 aces to Federer's 6. That's pretty sick. Where Raonic breaks down is his 17 unforced errors vs 11 for Federer and 55% 1st serve vs 65% for Federer.

You can see where he needs to improve and that he's really not that far away.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

What a clinic by Kvitova. That was as dominating a performance as I have ever seen.

vCash

Several Canadian boys and girls are gonna take up tennis after watching Raonic and Bouchard this year. We may see more Canadians in a final years from now.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

How about a little love for Vasek Pospisilas well.... Not only was he a big part of our Davis Cup success, but he & Jack Sock from US are currently in a very good men's doubles final vs Bryan brothers (US). Tied 1 set apiece with Podpisil & Sock serving for 3rd set.

Canadians made 4 of the 5 semi-finals in the marquee events at Wimbledon, as Daniel Nestor is doing his thing in mixed dounles.

So proud of our players & huge kudos to Tennis Canada. This did not gappen overnight, like what ESPN thinks.

vCash

How about a little love for Vasek Pospisil as well.... Not only was he a big part of our Davis Cup success, but he & Jack Sock from US are currently in a very good men's doubles final vs Bryan brothers (US). Tied 1 set apiece with Pospisil & Sock serving for 3rd set.

Canadians made 4 of the 5 semi-finals in the marquee events at Wimbledon, as Daniel Nestor is doing his thing in mixed doubles.

So proud of our players & huge kudos to Tennis Canada. This did not happen overnight, even if that is what some of the ESPN people think.

Add: up 2 sets to 1!
    Last edited by Smartie123; 07-05-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Must. Proofread. Better.