Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread

vCash

Audio Edmonton Sports Radio Thread

If you've been missing the laid-back tones of local baseball brontosaurus Al Coates (and really who hasn't?), TSN 1260's weekend Edmonton Prospects broadcasts are for you.

Working without a colourman or much in the way of background knowledge about the Prospects or their opponents, Al Coates expertly describes the action and fills the gaps between batters with MLB scores & standings, live-read commercials and heavy praise for pitchers who work quickly. Between innings, about 90% of the commercials are voiced by Al Coates before you return to "Edmonton's downtown ballpark" (Al Coates doesn't call it Telus Field anymore) for plenty of loud throat clearing (I hope Al Coates is okay) and more WMBL action.

As odd and low-key as the whole thing is, it's still way more compelling than 1260's usual Sunday afternoon fare of endless ESPN podcast loops. Thanks for that, Al Coates.

vCash

Re: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx13 View Post
    If you've been missing the laid-back tones of local baseball brontosaurus Al Coates (and really who hasn't?), TSN 1260's weekend Edmonton Prospects broadcasts are for you.

Working without a colourman or much in the way of background knowledge about the Prospects or their opponents, Al Coates expertly describes the action and fills the gaps between batters with MLB scores & standings, live-read commercials and heavy praise for pitchers who work quickly. Between innings, about 90% of the commercials are voiced by Al Coates before you return to "Edmonton's downtown ballpark" (Al Coates doesn't call it Telus Field anymore) for plenty of loud throat clearing (I hope Al Coates is okay) and more WMBL action.

As odd and low-key as the whole thing is, it's still way more compelling than 1260's usual Sunday afternoon fare of endless ESPN podcast loops. Thanks for that, Al Coates.
    Good info. Didn't know their games were on 1260.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Hearing Dan Tencer filling in for Dustin Nielson on the TSN 1260 morning show is, for me, what it would be like to see Nik Lewis in an Eskimos jersey. The fact that the first thing I heard was Tencer chirping the CFL only made it worse.

vCash

Much like they did during the last NHL season, TSN 1260 will be offering pre and postgame shows when the Eskimos play. Dustin Nielson and Matthew Iwanyk will be providing an alternative to those of us who can do without listening to the inane natterings of Dave Campbell and the same 3 callers after every game.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-126...-show-1.312641
    Last edited by GREYx14; 06-26-2015 at 01:20 PM.

vCash

Much like they did during the last NHL season, TSN 1260 will be offering pre and postgame shows when the Eskimos play. Dustin Nielson and Matthew Iwanyk will be providing an alternative to those of us who can do without listening to the inane natterings of Dave Campbell and the same 3 callers after every game.

Good to hear.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Good to hear.
    I'll still listen to ched for pre and post game because they get all the interviews with players and coaches and Blake D. is involved as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    I'll still listen to ched for pre and post game because they get all the interviews with players and coaches and Blake D. is involved as well.
    With Jamieson working for 1260, they'll be no shortage of coverage for Neilson to work with.
    #PizStrong

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

"Inane natterings" is an awful polite way to describe the aural rimjobs her performs endlessly
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    "Inane natterings" is an awful polite way to describe the aural rimjobs her performs endlessly
    Yeah. When I'm at work, my political correctness mechanism clicks on automatically.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    Once Blake is done, which is always too soon, it's nice to have somewhere else to go to hear about the game, because Campbell is nothing less than painful to listen to. Not Hallsey painful, but painful. Good for the Team 1260.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Plus: Matt Dunigan among the guests on TSN 1260's pre-game show.
    Minus: No post-game show tonight because of the England vs Canada Women's World Cup broadcast.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Got to hear Blake Dermott (sp) on the pregame show today on CHED. Why he's not in the broadcast booth instead of Campbell is beyond me.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Got to hear Blake Dermott (sp) on the pregame show today on CHED. Why he's not in the broadcast booth instead of Campbell is beyond me.
    Pretty simple answer: CHED (CORUS) is and always has been a crappy broadcast partner for the Eskimos. That partnership is also responsible for the presence of CISN's Chris "WHO WANTS THE BALL BACK??!!" Scheetz on the mic during Esks home games.
    Last edited by GREYx14; 06-27-2015 at 02:24 PM.

vCash

Pretty simple answer: CHED (CORUS) is and always has been a crappy broadcast partner for the Eskimos. That partnership is also responsible for the presence of CISN's Chris WHO WANTS THE BALL BACK??!! Scheetz on the mic during Esks home games.
    Blame CHED all you want, no doubt it's a crappy product, but they offer more money... and that seems to be all the Esks care about. Though I'm sure that CHED has no problem being total sycophants I'm sure doesn't hurt.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    Blame CHED all you want, no doubt it's a crappy product, but they offer more money... and that seems to be all the Esks care about. Though I'm sure that CHED has no problem being total sycophants I'm sure doesn't hurt.
    Then I wish Bell would buck up. TSN 1260's ties to the CFL's TV broadcaster are a big plus to me. Also, I really like what I've heard from Dustin Nielson doing play-by-play on Golden Bears games.

vCash

Rod Black to talk CFL on Dave Jamieson's show in mere minutes. Gee, I hope TSN 1260 is prepared for the spike in ratings this will create.

vCash

Just as I suspected, TSN 1260's postgame show is far less insufferable than CHED's.

vCash

Just as I suspected, TSN 1260's postgame show is far less insufferable than CHED's.
    Caught some or their pregame show this week.

Nielson could easily do the play by play with a good seasoned former player doing colour. Iwanyk on the sidelines would be a good addition, if they ever got that contract.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Guys, if the Team was the official rights-holder of the Esks, they would become just as bad as CHED.

You can't broadcast the game, hype it up, etc. and then have a show which is critical of the team thereafter. It's just not good business sense to do so.

I prefer CHED to broadcast the games, and TSN for me to listen to the unbiased analysis afterwards.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Muley69 View Post
    Guys, if the Team was the official rights-holder of the Esks, they would become just as bad as CHED.

You can't broadcast the game, hype it up, etc. and then have a show which is critical of the team thereafter. It's just not good business sense to do so.

I prefer CHED to broadcast the games, and TSN for me to listen to the unbiased analysis afterwards.
    Not sure I agree with that. I think it's bad business to blow smoke up peoples' asses. Eventually they tune you out.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

^Hence why I avoid Oilers games on CHED like the plague...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Rod Pederson (greenwhites PPB guy), even worse then Rod Black for the record, honestly says that he is a homer. He says flat out it comes down to who is paying his check. He actually used to talk about the almost weekly meetings that he and Carm (colour guy) had with Roy Shivers when they would put the team down (this was after the management change obviously). My guess is that this is the same thing for all of the teams, regardless of the sport. The best commentary will come from other stations as they do not have a horse in the race so they really do not care what they say. If the Esks or Oilers suck 1260 can say it and get away with it, and the team can really do nothing about it.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Muley69 View Post
    Only if for years and years they staff their broadcasts with way, way, way past their prime geriatrics, displaced hockey broadcasters and know-nothings.

vCash

Only if for years and years they staff their broadcasts with way, way, way past their prime geriatrics, displaced hockey broadcasters and know-nothings.
    To be fair, past their prime geriatrics and know-nothings are pretty much their entire audience

vCash

There are many people on Esks fans that don't work in sales, clearly.

You kiss ass of your biggest client. That's just the way it works.

TSN1260 as rights holder for the Esks would do the same - guaranteed.

vCash

John Short just did an hour with Gregor and what a great segment. They touched on a pile of different subjects including the Oilers then and now, the departure of the Rush, which led to the feelings he still has towards the Esks for selling the Trappers. I always enjoyed listening to sportstalk growing up, and now I remember why. So much more palatable than Hall!

vCash

What were his feelings about the Eskimos selling the Trappers?

vCash

Even after all this time, bitter. He said he spoke with league officials that have said that the pcl wouldn't have pulled the franchise or forced a moved and that the sale was strictly about making money. Interesting to hear considering everything else you hear says that the club could no longer be sustainable geographically.

vCash

Just to supplement the above

https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-jason-g...ly23_Hour4.mp3

Trapper talk starts around 35:40, but as eskfan152 mentioned, the entire 40 minutes are well worth the listen
    Last edited by Inquiring Mind; 07-23-2015 at 09:40 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Even after all this time, bitter. He said he spoke with league officials that have said that the PCL wouldn't have pulled the franchise or forced a moved and that the sale was strictly about making money. Interesting to hear considering everything else you hear says that the club could no longer be sustainable geographically.
    John Short is right up alongside Rod Phillips as the Edmonton sports broadcaster I admire the most. Having said that, I never have completely agreed with John's take on the sale of the Trappers. Certainly the PCL was fine with being in Edmonton but the sad truth is that MLB was not, which is why the Trappers' last 2 affiliations (with the Marlins & Expos) were forced marriages when there were no other alternatives.