Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread

vCash

Re: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread

Because I'm having a flashback to Grade 8 today, here's the exchange for your reading pleasure.

Jamie nye is wrong. It's not the gm's job to tell the coach who to play.
    Till man is a horrible gm. Can't evaluate players worth sh*t. Doesn't watch film. Just employs nepotism with his agent friends. Throws stuff n the wall & sees what sticks.
    ......on top of being a creepy creepy man that has a thing for underaged girls.
    Thx!
    Smartie123

he finds talent. he made a bad trade here which i get made a lot of people angry, but anywhere he goes success follows.
    and if ya wanna bring up legal issues with someone in sports, i suggest you research craig mactavishs past a little more. no one is clean

Honey u need to talk to people who have worked with ET.
    And you're right, nobody is clean, but MacT owned up. ET deflected & did not hold himself accountable. ie the same way he conducts all his business. Gimme a break.

i have, honey. and i know people especially here hate him for what he did. i dont care who owned up for anything or not. point is...
    stop following sports. because most people associated with it, being athletes or execs, much like regular human beings, make mistakes or get into legal trouble. the specifics of each seperate case can be debated, but theres no end to it. -Lt.E

------------
    How ignorant. This has nothing to do with the Ricky trade. He has no clue.
    We need a 2nd sports radio station in this town.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-02-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Well to be fair Lt Eric did finally hit puberty this year
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post

How ignorant. This has nothing to do with the Ricky trade. He has no clue.
    wrong. He has a clue... well Had. His entire purpose here was to completely dismantle the Eskimos. He despised the Esks from day1 - even publicly saying he hated the Eskimos and that hadn't change. He set off to completely kill the Esks. He had no intention of making this team better, or actually doing any work.

vCash

I meant that Lt Eric has no clue. Just living up to his Sask fan-dom stereotypes.

vCash

Wow, no mention of the Mcnight trade, no mention of signing Joseph, no mention of the creepy attempted exchanges with media types at 2am. I was a fence sitter with him at first, because I wanted the Esks to win no matter what, but with what happened during his tenure and what became public afterwards, even sitting on the fence was the wrong damn side!! I hope he does end up back in Sask! They deserve each other!

vCash

https://athletics.ualberta.ca/teams/...st-on-tsn-1260

1260 to broadcast 4 Golden Bears football games this season. I know there isn't a lot of interest in CIS ball, but I'd certainly prefer to listen to football game action versus syndicated American talk shows, or MLB feeds.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    https://athletics.ualberta.ca/teams/...st-on-tsn-1260

1260 to broadcast 4 Golden Bears football games this season. I know there isn't a lot of interest in CIS ball, but I'd certainly prefer to listen to football game action versus syndicated American talk shows, or MLB feeds.
    Dustin Nielson does a really nice job on play-by-play as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx13 View Post
    Agreed. I liked former Bear Jason Milne on colour commentary too. Nice to have a knowledgeable football mind in that chair to add insight in the breaks, as opposed to Campbell during Eskimos games.
    Nielson had the benefit of a very exciting game to call on Friday. Went down to the last play of the game.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The big guns at TSN apparently like him too. He actually got a spot as a sideline reporter on the main TV broadcast tonight. Congrats to him!
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I notice the Sportsnet Radio Edmonton rumours died down, wonder if there's still interest at the top level to go ahead with it?
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blogger Avry View Post
    I notice the Sportsnet Radio Edmonton rumours died down, wonder if there's still interest at the top level to go ahead with it?
    I wonder if the Oilers rights being with a talk station and highly unlikely to within the grasp of an all-sports station keeps them out. In a market this size its probably overkill to have two all-sports station neither with any major rights. It's one thing if they can go back and forth with a TSN station cause you can either be the "voice" of the NHL team or the station able to talk freely about them... with CHED owning the all the rights and doing a fair bit of sports, it's probably not too lucrative to fight over the scraps with 1260.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    I wonder if the Oilers rights being with a talk station and highly unlikely to within the grasp of an all-sports station keeps them out. In a market this size its probably overkill to have two all-sports station neither with any major rights. It's one thing if they can go back and forth with a TSN station cause you can either be the "voice" of the NHL team or the station able to talk freely about them... with CHED owning the all the rights and doing a fair bit of sports, it's probably not too lucrative to fight over the scraps with 1260.
    It still blows my mind that Corus didn't turn 880 into a sports station 15 years ago. They could still probably do that and blow TSN out of the water.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blogger Avry View Post
    Maybe not so much now that CHED seems to have comfortably settled in as the place for Sportsnet personalities to be heard on Edmonton radio.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    It still blows my mind that Corus didn't turn 880 into a sports station 15 years ago. They could still probably do that and blow TSN out of the water.

Huh?

The number of folks interested in all day news has GOT to be way more than the number of folks interested in a SECOND all day sports station...

vCash

The Esks/Lions game on Saturday presented yet another example of what a crappy broadcast rightsholder CORUS Entertainment is. Because of the Oilers pre-season game that day, the Esks broadcast was bumped from CHED over to CISN. After the game there was no football post-game show available on either station. Personally I prefer to listen to the pre & post-game shows that are on non-rightsholder TSN 1260 but that's not the point. Why do the Esks allow themselves to constantly be treated as second-class by their broadcast partner?
    Last edited by GREYx14; 09-30-2015 at 04:06 PM.

vCash

The Esks/Lions game on Saturday presented yet another example of what a crappy broadcast rightsholder CORUS Entertainment is. Because of the Oilers pre-season game that day, the Esks broadcast was bumped from CHED over to CISN. After the game there was no football post-game show available on either station. Personally I prefer to listen to the pre & post-game shows that are on non-rightsholder TSN 1260 but that's not the point. Why do the Esks allow themselves to constantly be treated as second-class by their broadcast partner?
    This is Canada. There are teams a helluva lot further up the pro sports food chain than CFL teams that are still the red-haired step child when the NHL team as much as blows it's nose.

You don't have to like it, but denying it is futile... and the Esks are happy to go along with it because CHED writes the biggest cheque, and that's all the Esks care about.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

This is Canada. There are teams a helluva lot further up the pro sports food chain than CFL teams that are still the red-haired step child when the NHL team as much as blows it's nose.

You don't have to like it, but denying it is futile... and the Esks are happy to go along with it because CHED writes the biggest cheque, and that's all the Esks care about.
    That's likely true (or why would they put up with the disdain from CORUS year after year), but very short-sighted if you're trying to improve all aspects of the game day experience. The idea is to put bums in seats and everything that gets the Eskimos out to the paying audience is part of the marketing plan.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Then Bell (TSN) needs to do what it has already done in a number of CFL markets which is write a bigger cheque than CORUS.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    That's likely true (or why would they put up with the disdain from CORUS year after year), but very short-sighted if you're trying to improve all aspects of the game day experience. The idea is to put bums in seats and everything that gets the Eskimos out to the paying audience is part of the marketing plan.
    15 years ago I would agree with you... now, I'm not sure radio matters much any more. The only people that typically tune in are hardcore fans north of 30 (and the average one is probably well north). Behaviors of this group are already pretty well set.

If I'm marketing football, I want to reach casual fans and 15-25 year olds, and I don't think talk radio is an effective way to reach them, sports talk or otherwise.

Then Bell (TSN) needs to do what it has already done in a number of CFL markets which is write a bigger cheque than CORUS.
    It's sure easy to spend other peoples money

If they thought they could make money, they probably would. But they aren't going to lose money out of altruism. I actually wonder whether CHED makes money off it, or whether someone there thinks it's still the 80's and having these rights just means they have the biggest dick.

vCash

It's sure easy to spend other peoples money

If they thought they could make money, they probably would. But they aren't going to lose money out of altruism. I actually wonder whether CHED makes money off it, or whether someone there thinks it's still the 80's and having these rights just means they have the biggest dick.
    It's all about the advertising revenue generated by the broadcasts. No station would carry the games if they didn't attract advertisers. Even the Edmonton Prospects got enough businesses to come on board as sponsors that a handful of their games were on TSN 1260 this past summer.

vCash

15 years ago I would agree with you... now, I'm not sure radio matters much any more. The only people that typically tune in are hardcore fans north of 30 (and the average one is probably well north). Behaviors of this group are already pretty well set.

If I'm marketing football, I want to reach casual fans and 15-25 year olds, and I don't think talk radio is an effective way to reach them, sports talk or otherwise.
    Hey watch who you're calling "well north"! Okay, so I fit that demographic and as a fan of the team actually listen to games on the radio when I can't watch the Esks in person. I just think the Esks are doing themselves a disservice by settling for what CORUS has to offer. I was hoping when Hallsy retired they'd be more enjoyable, but...
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

I don't really care much about soccer but Wil Fraser's comments on TSN 1260 today regarding Leicester City's incredible accomplishment may be the weakest take in the history of broadcasting.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    I don't really care much about soccer but Wil Fraser's comments on TSN 1260 today regarding Leicester City's incredible accomplishment may be the weakest take in the history of broadcasting.
    5000-1 at the start of the season.... a drunken 20 dollar bet in Vegas would pay out 100 thousand dollars....how can someone not say that's the most amazing thing that's pretty much ever happened in all of sports

vCash

I think it's fantastic that a team not named "ManU", "Chelsea", "Arsenal", ManCity" or "Liverpool" has won the EPL. It's one of the best sports stories of the last 25 years.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I think it's fantastic that a team not named "ManU", "Chelsea", "Arsenal", ManCity" or "Liverpool" has won the EPL. It's one of the best sports stories of the last 25 years.
    Absolutely. It would also be fantastic if a team not named Celtic or Rangers wins this year's Scottish Cup final. Well, fantastic for me and some of my relatives on one side of Edinburgh anyway.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    I stopped listening to the am show 2+ yrs ago. He exceeded my daily moron quota by the time I was done wiping my morning dump.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I stopped listening to the am show 2+ yrs ago. He exceeded my daily moron quota by the time I was done wiping my morning dump.
    Stunningly, Fraser has not gotten smarter in your absence.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Same reason i lost interest in the Champions League. Same damn teams all the time. It's boring. I only pay interest for the qualifiers and group stage and then i check out.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    Nope I was not railroaded.

His show is to long each day....he always thinks he right and he's a jock sniffer with X athletes. If you can't see that your not listening very closely. He does talk C.F.L more than most on that station so from that stand point I understand why some on here like him.

I'm really liking Dave Jamiesons show and another guy that I really like and we don't hear him much because he's tied up with Oil Kings is Corey Graham.
    Pretty much why i listen to Gregor. I've started to listen to music a while back. Makes me happier. Listening to wannabe armchair GM's call in with their stupid, uninformed trade proposals makes me want to bash their faces in. All the trade talk is with known name players. Why? Because those are probably the only players they can name on the Oilers. I wish the host would ask them, "hey, who are the top 5 free agent wingers this off season?". "Hey, who are the top 5 D-min available this off season?". Just a bunch of mouth breathers who shouldn't even be allowed to get on the air.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    Pretty much why i listen to Gregor. I've started to listen to music a while back. Makes me happier. Listening to wannabe armchair GM's call in with their stupid, uninformed trade proposals makes me want to bash their faces in. All the trade talk is with known name players. Why? Because those are probably the only players they can name on the Oilers. I wish the host would ask them, "hey, who are the top 5 free agent wingers this off season?". "Hey, who are the top 5 D-min available this off season?". Just a bunch of mouth breathers who shouldn't even be allowed to get on the air.
    Pretty much sums up talk radio in general.
    GO ESKS GO!