Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,169 of 1169

Thread: Saskatchewan Meltdown - A Thread Dedicated to the Demise of the Greenwhites

vCash

Re: Saskatchewan Meltdown - A Thread Dedicated to the Demise of the Greenwhites

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What if Carter was told by NFL scouts that to make it down south he needs to play DB? I wonder if that is whats driving this change.
    if you mean douche bag I'd say he's got that down pat.
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

What if Carter was told by NFL scouts that to make it down south he needs to play DB? I wonder if that is whats driving this change.
    Wish I had your optimism towards Chris Jones character but I don't, he has one priority and that is himself.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Wish I had your optimism towards Chris Jones character but I don't, he has one priority and that is himself.
    It's very "sandlot" with his approach, not only to Carter, but also the rotating of QB's with the "we'll just let it sort itself out" mentality. If it works, all the power to him, but the majority of football people I know question his methods. I have to wonder if it's all him, or are his assistants making weird decisions as well (keeping Messam on the sidelines for almost two games as an example).
    There is no denying there is some solid talent on the Sask. roster.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

So you'd handicap your team to get a guy the experience needed to leave your team? I don't think so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    So you'd handicap your team to get a guy the experience needed to leave your team? I don't think so.
    If next man up at wr is better than next man up at dB it’s actually helping the team?!
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Sask may have given others a road map on how to get to Masoli as they blitzed him regularly, was one of the better defensively called games if seen in awhile.
    Chris Jones is still the best DC/D mind in the league - yes, even more than Stubler & yes even with the weird Duron Carter thing.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 07-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.

vCash

If next man up at wr is better than next man up at dB it’s actually helping the team?!
    I agree. That's what is driving the change. Not the NFL thing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Chris Jones is still the best DC/D mind in the league - yes, even more than Stubler & yes even with the weird Durin Carter thing.
    Yup....he sure is. I miss that swarming defense we had back in 2015. Though I will say that Masoli had plenty of time to find his guys yesterday....the reason they lost was some horrid play from the special teams. How many times did they start inside their own 25? Had to be at least 4 or 5...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Yup....he sure is. I miss that swarming defense we had back in 2015. Though I will say that Masoli had plenty of time to find his guys yesterday....the reason they lost was some horrid play from the special teams. How many times did they start inside their own 25? Had to be at least 4 or 5...
    Special teams across the league has been stinky IMO this year.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Chris Jones is still the best DC/D mind in the league - yes, even more than Stubler & yes even with the weird Duron Carter thing.
    I,don’t know that I agree. He spent the last 2 years signing or converting players to DE just so he could rush 3 and then cut those players. He almost dresses as many MLB’s as DB’s or Oline, that’s just weird. I fully expect Lapo to steal his lunch money even more so than he did to Benevedes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    I,don’t know that I agree. He spent the last 2 years signing or converting players to DE just so he could rush 3 and then cut those players. He almost dresses as many MLB’s as DB’s or Oline, that’s just weird. I fully expect Lapo to steal his lunch money even more so than he did to Benevedes.
    Fair enough, but I’m separating ‘player personnel CJ’ from ‘defensive scheme CJ’ when I make that comment.
    His scheme would probably work if he had the right guys. Similarly, he wouldn’t have to convert offense guys if he brought in the right people (/good people) for D in the first place.

vCash

Fair enough, but I’m separating ‘player personnel CJ’ from ‘defensive scheme CJ’ when I make that comment.
    His scheme would probably work if he had the right guys. Similarly, he wouldn’t have to convert offense guys if he brought in the right people (/good people) for D in the first place.
    �� that’s more than fair.

vCash

Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Karma! Late hit on Reilly cost us a playoff position, they poached our coaching staff! The football gods are dishing out payback!
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Karma! Late hit on Reilly cost us a playoff position, they poached our coaching staff! The football gods are dishing out payback!
    Difference being that we'll likely hear about how that missed hit cost them the win when reality is that Bridge wouldn't have made a difference had he got up, nor would have the 15 yards with only 8 seconds to play. Their only touchdown was on the strength of penalty.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Difference being that we'll likely hear about how that missed hit cost them the win when reality is that Bridge wouldn't have made a difference had he got up, nor would have the 15 yards with only 8 seconds to play. Their only touchdown was on the strength of penalty.
    And a missed illegal block on the return. He didn’t complete a single pass on the TD drive.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    And a missed illegal block on the return. He didn’t complete a single pass on the TD drive.
    Reality is riders are a qb away from the real deal.. they are gonna make a run for someone this off season.. prob all of em knowing sask.. lol

vCash
    Blog Entries

Just thought I would give this thread a bump as I haven't seen much on the reaction that the Chris Jones defection is having on the stubble jumpers fan base. Are they crying in their Pilsners or are they having delusional fantasies of attracting Dave Dickensen from the Stamps to become the next HC of the team.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Just thought I would give this thread a bump as I haven't seen much on the reaction that the Chris Jones defection is having on the stubble jumpers fan base. Are they crying in their Pilsners or are they having delusional fantasies of attracting Dave Dickensen from the Stamps to become the next HC of the team.
    Wrong Dickensen, I think Craig has been mentioned, not Dave.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yeah my tongue was firmly in cheek there.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Even better...seems they might be going after our DC Lolley, whose ink isn't even yet dry on his contract.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Even better...seems they might be going after our DC Lolley, whose ink isn't even yet dry on his contract.
    Coarse they are...

Bloody riders

- - - Updated - - -

Craig is the obv choice.. only need to aquire a dc then

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Coarse they are...

Bloody riders

- - - Updated - - -

Craig is the obv choice.. only need to aquire a dc then
    Yes this makes sense. I was just wondering if the fanbase were all depressed over Jones leaving or if they were viewing everything with rose colored glasses and coming up with delusional scenarios on the fan forums.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Yes this makes sense. I was just wondering if the fanbase were all depressed over Jones leaving or if they were viewing everything with rose colored glasses and coming up with delusional scenarios on the fan forums.
    I haven't looked there today but for the most part they've reacted about the same as any other fanbase would in the same situation. Of course there are some taking wild tangents but overall are being fairly realistic about it.
    1) Very disappointed that he's leaving.
    2) Wondering about the timing and suspicious about whether he knew of the Browns' interest prior to agreeing to the extension for 2020 although all indications are this all came about literally in a matter of 2 or 3 days from the Browns first contacting him and offering him the job.
    3) Assuming O'Day will get promoted to GM. Wondering why that hasn't already been announced although apparently Club President Craig Reynolds who would be making that decision is apparently out of the country until this weekend.
    4) Kicking around the limited options to replace Jones the HC and DC. Options they've talked about include promoting Craig Dickenson to HC or hiring Trestman, Lapolice or maybe Thorpe from outside the org. They like the idea of somebody like Lapolice because they hope his first act would be to fire McAdoo and replace him with himself. Possibly promote Shivers to DC. Poopoo the idea of somebody like Benevides even though he has experience at both HC and DC and is currently out of work.
    5) Wondering if the season isn't already a writeoff (typical Rider fan sky is falling reaction)
    6) Because Jones coached in Edmonton they were giving themselves good odds Reilly would go there in free agency because he (and in their opinion every player who played for Jones) would look to reunite with Jones. Of course in typical Rider fan fashion they think Reilly would probably stay in Edmonton because of familiarity, might consider BC to be closer to home but if he wanted to win a championship then Regina would be his best bet. They feel those hopes are dashed.
    7) Wondering how Jones' departure will affect overall free agency especially in re-signing Willie Jefferson.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 01-17-2019 at 12:42 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I haven't looked there today but for the most part they've reacted about the same as any other fanbase would in the same situation. Of course there are some taking wild tangents but overall are being fairly realistic about it.
    2) Wondering about the timing and suspicious about whether he knew of the Browns' interest prior to agreeing to the extension for 2020 although all indications are this all came about literally in a matter of 2 or 3 days from the Browns first contacting him and offering him the job.
    3) Assuming O'Day will get promoted to GM. Wondering why that hasn't already been announced although apparently Club President Craig Reynolds who would be making that decision is apparently out of the country until this weekend.
    4) Kicking around the limited options to replace Jones the HC and DC. Options they've talked about include promoting Craig Dickenson to HC or hiring Trestman, Lapolice or maybe Thorpe from outside the org. They like the idea of somebody like Lapolice because they hope his first act would be to fire McAdoo and replace him with himself. Possibly promote Shivers to DC. Poopoo the idea of somebody like Benevides even though he has experience at both HC and DC and is currently out of work.
    5) Wondering if the season isn't already a writeoff (typical Rider fan sky is falling reaction)
    6) Because Jones coached in Edmonton they were giving themselves good odds Reilly would go there in free agency because he (and in their opinion every player who played for Jones) would look to reunite with Jones. Of course in typical Rider fan fashion they think Reilly would probably stay in Edmonton because of familiarity, might consider BC to be closer to home but if he wanted to win a championship then Regina would be his best bet. They feel those hopes are dashed.
    7) Wondering how Jones' departure will affect overall free agency especially in re-signing Willie Jefferson.
    And all of that is fair considering the news. The snooping I did earlier seemed to be a reasonable reaction considering the circumstances.
    Last edited by bone; 01-17-2019 at 12:45 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Thanks for the rundown. I hadn't thought of Thorpe which actually makes quite a bit of sense. Not sure Shivers would be ready to fly solo with no other experienced defensive help.

vCash

Meltdown. RF right now towards the Bombers and Redblacks.

vCash

Lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Meltdown. RF right now towards the Bombers and Redblacks.
    Not that I believe that Harris would necessarily follow Elizondo to Sask... there is a lot of loyalty to Desjardins, Campbell, teammates and city... but while I normally don't like teams blocking their guys from interviewing for promotions, given the timing and stakes of this, I can certainly appreciate Ottawa's perspective in doing so.

From Elizondo's perspective, were he to become a first-time HC, based on what we've been led to believe about the coaching cap - he'd be inheriting a full coaching staff not of his own choosing, an inexperienced DC without having his own experience on that side to directly support, an OC that comes from the same tree, but hasn't shown the same interpretation of the systems that Elizondo and Maas have, and a difficult QB situation. Given that the current staff has been together and likely has loyalty to each other, and of course, to Jones, and given that the cap situation makes it very unlikely that any of them can be fired, it would have the potential of really inverting the traditional top-down football hierarchy in coaching. Not that Elizondo couldn't come in with respect or earn respect, but I'm just picturing a "You're not my real dad" kind of situation.

Given the situation, I think it's either got to be an internal promotion or a HC with the experience to handle the situation, and that's not meant to be a knock on the coaches under contract there - I have a lot of respect for some of them like Dickie, Schepper and Shivers.

There have been good examples of coordinators being picky about the situation that they were walking into for their first HC shot, and this is one of those that I'd argue would require a good amount of consideration.