Thread: Chris jones vs. Jason maas in a coaches’ chess match

vCash
    Blog Entries

Games Chris jones vs. Jason maas in a coaches’ chess match

Two questions to eskfans all and sundry:

1.) What one thing allows Jason Maas to win the coaching battle against Chris Jones?

2.) Can Coach Benny right the ship against McAdoo? If yes, what allows him to do that?

CHRIS JONES VS. JASON MAAS IN A COACHES’ CHESS MATCH

The coaches’ chess match in the CFL will be on display this Friday when the Saskatchewan Roughriders, led by Chris Jones, invade Commonwealth Stadium to play Jason Maas’s Edmonton Eskimos.

The Chess Match

The key match-up between Eskimos head coach and offensive coordinator Jason Maas against the Riders head coach and defensive coordinator Chris Jones. Jones is the evil genius who designed the schemes and game plans that took the Eskimos to the Grey Cup last year before jumping ship to the rival Riders. Maas is the offensive innovator who built the top offence in yards from scrimmage last year with 7332 yards, propelling the Ottawa Redblacks into the Grey Cup.

While Jones battling Maas is the main event, the undercard is just as interesting, featuring the battle of conservatives. This match-up has coaches Mike Benevides, the new Eskimos defensive coordinator, versus offensive coordinator Stephen McAdoo of the Riders. While Maas and Jones is more interesting, the undercard will most likely decide the game.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/07/...s-chess-match/
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Hervey is the right guy for G.M.

vCash

Re: Chris jones vs. Jason maas in a coaches’ chess match

1. Chris Jones' ego.

2. Yes. Better players.

Next!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Lick My Cleats View Post
    Two questions to eskfans all and sundry:

1.) What one thing allows Jason Maas to win the coaching battle against Chris Jones?

2.) Can Coach Benny right the ship against McAdoo? If yes, what allows him to do that?
    1. Mike Reilly must be better. He didn't have a bad game in week one, but there were several times where he hesitated and looked lost. He also threw way too many deep balls into double coverage. Is he having trouble with the Maas offense? I think we get a clearer answer this week.
    2. I think success on D largely depends on a our guys up front getting a better rush to make up for some of the early shortcomings we are experiencing in the backfield. I don't recall much blitzing in our first game. Hopefully if the opportunities are there we take them.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    1. Mike Reilly must be better. He didn't have a bad game in week one, but there were several times where he hesitated and looked lost. He also threw way too many deep balls into double coverage. Is he having trouble with the Maas offense? I think we get a clearer answer this week.
    2. I think success on D largely depends on a our guys up front getting a better rush to make up for some of the early shortcomings we are experiencing in the backfield. I don't recall much blitzing in our first game. Hopefully if the opportunities are there we take them.
    I know what you mean on point 1 ... I was commenting during the game to my buddy it looked like he was told don't run and he was fighting the urge a few times. I certainly think it impacted the play in OT where he need 3, but threw the ball. Listening to CHED now .... Reilly said he climbed the pocket and Coehoorn was his second read ... thought he was open and the ball placement was off. Last year Reilly takes off for certain.
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

vCash

best of luck on Friday I'm hoping for a good game where the zebras don't get to involved. And I've even picked an Eskie win although I don't think this will be a blowout if the Riders have fixed the mental errors from last week.

vCash

Honestly, this week I think it'll be more about players and execution than about the coaches. Unlike two weeks ago.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Honestly, this week I think it'll be more about players and execution than about the coaches. Unlike two weeks ago.
    I tend to agree. Coaching is a differentiator more so when the physical prowess and cohesiveness of two teams is relatively equal. In our opener, we were talking about two teams that were coming off Grey Cup appearances with solid offensive lines, stable QBing, depth in the receiving corps and a few questions on the roster, but less than most teams. In this case, the Riders are one game into their rebuild, and that's not to say that they cannot pull off an upset, but they should be way behind in terms of cohesiveness and physical ability at this point. The Jones defence was something that took awhile to pick up with a more veteran group in Edmonton, and currently, he's in the early phases of rolling it out against an offense that practiced against it all year at or near its best.

I don't see this as a chess match or coach against coach, and if it becomes that, I will be very let down by the Eskimo players and locker room leadership. This should be a very motivated group, not only to bounce back from he early season loss, but to show that it was more them and less their coach that deserves credit for winning last year.

vCash

Sure feels like we're looking past the roughriders reading some posts...

Jones will have these dudes ready..

Could go south very easily..

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

CJ has far more cohesion with his staff in what he wants to accomplish, but doesn't have the horses. His players will want to win cos they sucked old donkey balls for over a calendar year

JM has far less 'glue' with his overall program but his players are more skilled at key positions, and highly motivated after being forced to listen to all the stories about their former staff, etc.

In the end, the ones who cross the stripe matter most
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    This makes me smile. If Reilly can throw for almost 400 yards at close to 70% with 1 TD and 0 INTs... and we still think he has upside to go, I like where our offense is at. Last season that would have been a monster game for our offense. This season we see room for improvement and still had great numbers. Remember what we were saying this time last season?

Hopefully Maas eases on the reigns a little bit and lets Reilly run a bit. Smartly. I rewatched the OT play where Reilly needed 3 yards. Is it just me or was there a safety or LB in the middle spying him? I could be wrong.

I think this team is going to be great if we can right the defensive ship. Ottawa is a great team and our offense played pretty damn good against them, especially with the first game in a new offense. If we can not give up over 40 pts and over 500 yards of passing offense I think we will go on a nice early season win streak. I would like to see us tighten up coverage and blitz more. Shorten the field for our inexperienced secondary.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

vCash

Remember also that the Esks racked up those points against a team that was moving the ball smoothly up and down the field. It wasn't as if they were given tons of possession to work with.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Remember also that the Esks racked up those points against a team that was moving the ball smoothly up and down the field. It wasn't as if they were given tons of possession to work with.
    That's turning a negative into a positive!!!!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    This makes me smile. If Reilly can throw for almost 400 yards at close to 70% with 1 TD and 0 INTs... and we still think he has upside to go, I like where our offense is at. Last season that would have been a monster game for our offense. This season we see room for improvement and still had great numbers. Remember what we were saying this time last season?

Hopefully Maas eases on the reigns a little bit and lets Reilly run a bit. Smartly. I rewatched the OT play where Reilly needed 3 yards. Is it just me or was there a safety or LB in the middle spying him? I could be wrong.

I think this team is going to be great if we can right the defensive ship. Ottawa is a great team and our offense played pretty damn good against them, especially with the first game in a new offense. If we can not give up over 40 pts and over 500 yards of passing offense I think we will go on a nice early season win streak. I would like to see us tighten up coverage and blitz more. Shorten the field for our inexperienced secondary.

From what I saw there were three to 4 plays where Mike could have run for the first down and ended up throwing to Bowman and Walker in double coverage. The last two seasons he would have run so I do believe JM has asked him to run less to save wear and tear on the body. MR not running and playing with abandon is truly not the leader we have come to expect so I do hope the Reins are loosened.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    That's turning a negative into a positive!!!!!
    That's what happens when you square things

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

THIS!
    We had damn well better not take this game lightly and I don't think our coach is the type of guy to allow that. He has played in this league along time and should be able to have these guys grounded and focused. That said, if we come out with that piss poor timid defensive zone sh*t again we will be in for a very very very long day. The retards have some targets on O that can hurt you so we had damn well bring the wood!

Listening to the media all off season and having your entire coaching staff walk out on you should put some fire in your belly and ALOT of "FU*K You" in your step! Hit them all day long and make them pay dearly for every yard.... BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    undefined

The Moz'

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Between all the personnel issues and the fishbowl that is Regina, I get the sense Jones is about 2 losses from going full nuclear
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    Between all the personnel issues and the fishbowl that is Regina, I get the sense Jones is about 2 losses from going full nuclear
    I have to agree with this. The locals were very kind after week 1, saying things like "we made progress". However, the pitchforks and torches will come out at some point and then look out mushroom cloud!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

If we had won last week and if the greenwhites hadn't stolen our whole coaching staff, I would agree with you but I cannot see any of our players looking past this game, in fact I bet many of them have it circled on the calendar.
    #PizStrong

vCash

As has been said.. Riders don't have the horses and look like they'll have a patchwork Oline. I hope we don't let them off the hook by running a vanilla D.

Offensively...I hope we stretch out that defense with Walker. If we go to that short game it plays right into the a riders hands as they did look much improved in the Argo game with the gang tackling mentality.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

D was crap last game... I have zero clue how'll they'll look Friday.... Secondary plays like it did then , even Durant will rack up yards and points.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    If we had won last week and if the greenwhites hadn't stolen our whole coaching staff, I would agree with you but I cannot see any of our players looking past this game, in fact I bet many of them have it circled on the calendar.
    Fans are looking past it in a lot of cases, and that has no impact on the result on the field. I agree with Diesel's interpretation... their coaching staff is more on the same page at this point, but they're bringing checkers to a chess match in terms of talent. That's not to say that they can't beat us, but when you turn around all but 6 starters and a you face the defending champs that only turned around 5-6, the talent and depth should absolutely skew in one direction. They are still professional ball players, and a lot of them, acquired through free agency or the holdovers, have good skill, but on the journey to getting where they're going, the Riders haven't likely left the driveway yet.

Players on the other hand, have no business looking ahead, and I am positive it will give them no small amount of satisfaction to beat CJ... not because they hate him, but because they are competitive by nature. If they love him, there is no better way of showing it by being the ball player he taught them to be. If they don't love him, they'll still want to impress him if not stick it to him.

I expect a dramatically better showing in the secondary, both with some film to work off of, and improved pressure up front, but also because they are not facing Burris/Harris and four proven 1000 yd receivers.

vCash

Justin Sorenson pretty much said that on one of the 1260 shows yest (gregor?). The players want to win to show everyone that their success last year was not just because of the coaches. The coaches gelpedvto guide them/ fine tune things. Sounds like the players have a ginormous chip on their shoulder & are taking this game very seriously.

vCash

Hey everyone that's headed to the game on Friday. As if you didn't have enough incentive to bring a donation for Purolator Tackle Hunger night...

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie