Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-17 Oilers Season Thread

vCash
    Blog Entries

Dogs 2016-17 Oilers Season Thread

New year, new hope, new thread.

Last edited by Angelus; 09-26-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Re: 2016-17 Oilers Season Thread - Team Most Likely to be the First to Hit the Lynx

new nightmares

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2016-17 Oilers Season Thread - Team Most Likely to be the First to Hit the Lynx

Well...he already has more energy and enthusiasm than Punter and Nanook combined...
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

I would be really curious to know what the Oilers internal goals for this season are. 41 games of sell outs plus getting within 12 points of the playoffs whilst not being functionally eliminated until February?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    I would be really curious to know what the Oilers internal goals for this season are. 41 games of sell outs plus getting within 12 points of the playoffs whilst not being functionally eliminated until February?
    Sell as many stuffed lynxes as possible

vCash

I'll go on record as saying I think the team is greatly improved on the ice and in the locker room. I'm flat out expecting playoffs and if they're out of it early in the season, I'll probably for the first time really start tuning out. But I don't think they will be. Finally they will start surprising us and the league. I'm expecting a fun year! Ok, let me have it!

vCash
    Blog Entries

So much joke potential with that new mascot.

I wonder if the mascot will provide the missing lynx in the chain of success...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    new nightmares
    No kidding. I thought mascots were supposed to look somewhat cartoonish and...what's the word, friendly?

This looks more like something that would happen if a Canadian zoology truck crashed into Frankenstein's lab on the way to an Oilers game.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Apparently they surveyed thousands of kids from kindergarten to grade 9, and that was by far the runaway leader. Which is fine, the mascot is there for the kids, I couldn't give a crap who or what their mascot looks like, it can be a giant bloody tampon for all I care, just give me a team that can compete.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Apparently they surveyed thousands of kids from kindergarten to grade 9, and that was by far the runaway leader. Which is fine, the mascot is there for the kids, I couldn't give a crap who or what their mascot looks like, it can be a giant bloody tampon for all I care, just give me a team that can compete.
    No that's our 4th line centre

vCash

I'd put MacTavish in that lynx suit and turn him loose on Harvey the Hound.

vCash

I think the big bloody tampon mascot will scare everyone, not just the kids.

vCash

The lynx is a fine choice for mascot, I just think they could've "cartooned" it up to make it less creepy. It looks like a taxidermy experiment misfire.

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-26-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Pre-season sweep tonight! Not that it means too much, but any day a Calgary team loses is a good day.

That and Kris Versteeg had a really sick goal tonight too.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I showed a picture of the brand new Oilers mascot this morning to my honest, almost 6 yr old son and my brutally honest 3.5 yr old son and the first words out of both of their mouths was "cooooool". Hunter looks cool but kind of intense to put it lightly but based on the reaction of my boys, maybe the got it right. I don't really know. They look a hell of a lot better than the stupid football that staggers around at Esks game.

For the Oilers. I think Versteeg is a lot to make this team unless he has a bad camp. So far he looks good. In all honesty, they could use a vet guy that has won, who's good in the room and can play.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm noticing that as a general trend. The main ones who are creeped out by the mascot are all in the 18+ category. Was reading on HF that a lot of the kids like him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I showed a picture of the brand new Oilers mascot this morning to my honest, almost 6 yr old son and my brutally honest 3.5 yr old son and the first words out of both of their mouths was "cooooool". Hunter looks cool but kind of intense to put it lightly but based on the reaction of my boys, maybe the got it right. I don't really know. They look a hell of a lot better than the stupid football that staggers around at Esks game.

For the Oilers. I think Versteeg is a lot to make this team unless he has a bad camp. So far he looks good. In all honesty, they could use a vet guy that has won, who's good in the room and can play.
    But did you show them the lynx dancing? That increases the creepyness factor exponentially

vCash
    Blog Entries

Versteeg will make the team. JP will start in the AHL.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Same here. My 8 year old is terrified of everything and I showed her the creepiest pictures of him possible (the ones used for the memes) and she liked him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Yeah, I'm noticing that as a general trend. The main ones who are creeped out by the mascot are all in the 18+ category. Was reading on HF that a lot of the kids like him.
    Yeah, I find it amusing that pretty much everyone mocking or complaining about the mascot are adults. News flash: you aren't the intended target.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Versteeg will make the team. JP will start in the AHL.
    This is so refreshing, and perhaps a major sign that this organization is finally ready to start heading north in the standings.

I still think this team is at least a top 4 D-man and a capable back-up goalie away from being a play-off team. If Talbot can play 70 games without breaking down and pretty much the entire line-up stays healthy, we might be able to sneak in, but those are pretty big ifs. If Talbot were to get injured, we're looking at another lottery pick for sure.

Lots of rumors swirling around Trouba, but I think the ask is way too much. I think he would be a good add to our blue line, but not at the 8 years x $7 million that he's reportedly asking for. He has potential, sure, but way too unproven to be asking for that kind of money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    The lynx is a fine choice for mascot, I just think they could've "cartooned" it up to make it less creepy. It looks like a taxidermy experiment misfire.

Bwahaha! Next year they'll have a different Lynx head that's more cartoonish.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

vCash
    Blog Entries

This is so refreshing, and perhaps a major sign that this organization is finally ready to start heading north in the standings.

I still think this team is at least a top 4 D-man and a capable back-up goalie away from being a play-off team. If Talbot can play 70 games without breaking down and pretty much the entire line-up stays healthy, we might be able to sneak in, but those are pretty big ifs. If Talbot were to get injured, we're looking at another lottery pick for sure.

Lots of rumors swirling around Trouba, but I think the ask is way too much. I think he would be a good add to our blue line, but not at the 8 years x $7 million that he's reportedly asking for. He has potential, sure, but way too unproven to be asking for that kind of money.
    That's what he wanted from WPG. If he gets top 4 mins somewhere else, I bet he signs for like 5.5M. Still a large chunk of change but nothing compared to what's been rumoured.

It sounds like the Oilers aren't willing to move Nurse but I'm not even sure WPG would take that. A top 4 of Klefbom/Larsson/Sekera/Trouba is playoff worthy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    But did you show them the lynx dancing? That increases the creepyness factor exponentially
    I did actually and they loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Same here. My 8 year old is terrified of everything and I showed her the creepiest pictures of him possible (the ones used for the memes) and she liked him.
    They apparently pooled a couple of thousands kids and "Hunter" was the overwhelming choice.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what he wanted from WPG. If he gets top 4 mins somewhere else, I bet he signs for like 5.5M. Still a large chunk of change but nothing compared to what's been rumoured.

It sounds like the Oilers aren't willing to move Nurse but I'm not even sure WPG would take that. A top 4 of Klefbom/Larsson/Sekera/Trouba is playoff worthy.
    Trouba's contract is a major concern. If you look at his offensive numbers, to pay him Barrie money doesn't add up to me. Even Vaatanen signed for 4.5 mill and has better offensive numbers though I think Trouba is a better all around Dman. It's probably wishful thinking but I wonder if the number he is throwing out to the Jets is the "if you pay me this, I will stay."
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Trouba's contract is a major concern. If you look at his offensive numbers, to pay him Barrie money doesn't add up to me. Even Vaatanen signed for 4.5 mill and has better offensive numbers though I think Trouba is a better all around Dman. It's probably wishful thinking but I wonder if the number he is throwing out to the Jets is the "if you pay me this, I will stay."
    Meh, everyone is so concerned about what a player asks and then they never sign for anything near that amount. He's a better player than Barrie. I love how hung up people get on boxcars. He's actually tracking to be a top 2 dman:
    http://www.tsn.ca/talent/trouba-has-...alent-1.573828

vCash

I doubt it will happen, but I'd really like to see Nurse start the year in the AHL. Give him a good long stretch to eat up big minutes in all situations on the top pairing in the A and really develop him, rather than stunt his development like we have with so many other players over the years by pushing him too high, too fast.

Part of the value in both Trouba and Nurse is in their potential rather than actual performance to date, but that is why Winnipeg would be justified in wanting more than just Nurse in the trade, because Trouba is further along in his development and has more to show for it on his resume so far. The Oilers have to be careful in overvaluing "potential" and "hope for the future" over what will help right now (although the expansion draft does have implications that might justify holding on to "hope" for one more year). If Trouba could be signed at a reasonable contract, then yes, I'd be ok with Nurse+. It would make the expansion draft that much more complicated next year, but we can't keep talking about next year, especially with the clock ticking on McDavid's ELC.

vCash

I am not saying I don't like Trouba. If they could get him, all of a sudden the Oilers have a good defense as they are one guy away from a legit, top 4. The best part would be 3/4 of their really good top 4 would be under 25. Even Sekera who looks so far like a decent signing and played pretty well at the WC is only 30. I have to think that the Oilers have had discussions with the Jets on Trouba and if Nurse for Trouba would get it done, I would think it would be a done deal by now even though they really like Nurse. I think the Jets are dreaming a bit if they think they can get an equal player back, just left shooting. The Oilers would be stupid to give them Klefbom which I would consider to be an equivalent at this time. It would be a lateral move in my opinion, strength the right but weaken the left. Honestly and people can disagree with me. If the ask is Klefbom, I think it should be Trouba +. IN a cap world, contracts are worth something. So at 4.167 for a long time, if Klefbom is as good as he was last year and he's giving you 23, 24, 25 quality mins with a good all around game, he will be very underpaid by mid season.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

People should be happy if come Jan 1 they aren't the laughing stock of the hockey world, like they have been for a decade. Jan 1 is a loooong ways away
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Yeah, I find it amusing that pretty much everyone mocking or complaining about the mascot are adults. News flash: you aren't the intended target.
    It's just like how the intended market for the actual hockey team isn't hockey fans. It's people with money who want to be associated with being a hockey fan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    People should be happy if come Jan 1 they aren't the laughing stock of the hockey world, like they have been for a decade. Jan 1 is a loooong ways away
    Happy? I'll be blind drunk!

All they've done is trade a super-elite LW for a good stay at home D, and sign an older LW to replace him!!!!
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Oilers and Flames make the playoffs. LA and Anaheim miss.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.