Thread: Dorian Boose RIP

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Serious Dorian Boose RIP

Via Singor Mobley's FB feed, former Eskimo defensive lineman Dorian Boose has passed away. No details
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Dorian Boose RIP

Brutal. RIP.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Wow, 42 years old. Sad to hear.

vCash

Had heard rumours of him struggling after his time here. This story from 2 years ago touches on some of that. Sad all around

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...acc_story.html
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Incredibly sad. Godspeed, Dorian.

BONE
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

I saw that on Singer's feed as well. Incredibly sad.

Rest in peace big man.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

RIP

vCash

The one year here when he was in shape physically and mentally he was one of the best Dlineman in the game

vCash

RIP Dorian
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Randy Chevrier
    10 mins Calgary

My stomach dropped and almost threw up as I got the news that former teammate Dorian Boose died yesterday...then I read the article and watched the video attached and I cried...

In the time anyone played with Dorian, they would instantly say his larger than life personality filled a room more than his 6'6" 295lb ever could. He was a kind soul, whose personality was infectious, he sang, played piano, and was a beast on the field...we used to urge him to go to American Idol, he was that good...but he was also troubled.

The attached article about his family that was left behind long before Dorian left this earth is very sad...for my ball playing brothers...read this story about a son who will never know his dad...who will never have an opportunity to have the question 'why?' answered. If this story touches a nerve, let it serve as a call to action...

Dorian's death highlights the struggles that most people don't see when the big game comes on tv or when they are cheering in the stands. His death also highlights the lack of support many players receive long after their usefulness has expired...

You see, he did what all good athletes did, focused on football. High school, college, pros....focus on football, and avoid distractions...but when distractions hit...how are guys prepared?! When disability, addiction, job loss, mental illness hit...how has focusing on football helped? In this case it hasn't...

Any league and alumni association will say that they make efforts, to educate and help...but from experience I know in many cases it's lip service...I know a guy got paralyzed on the field last year and still is struggling to get funds earmarked for situations like his...And in this case, a former player did his best to help Dorian and many calls for help fell on deaf ears as he used his own resources to help a friend...there are many situations like these. So if there are programs, maybe there aren't enough resources towards them...

Pro sports is like a Hollywood movie they say...you form real close bonds with people over a short time span, and then off to a new movie set with new actors..although you maintain some friendships, the next movie takes precedence over the last one. That's a football team...when you are no longer with a team or group of guys, you aren't part of that circle. I've felt that this year...anyone playing now will too...

You often don't keep in touch. And truthfully I didn't with Dorian. We played together in 2003...a lot changes in 13 years. You live a life, things happen. But we all knew what he was, and the minute the news hit I went back in time to 2003 in Winnipeg listening to him and Steve Charbonneau playing a piano and singing to the whole team in the lobby of a Winnipeg hotel...it was good times...

Guys get cut new guys come and you just focus on your job. I think we all now feel we failed him somehow as friends as teammates, we failed his family too...but we were so busy doing what they told us to do....focus on football. And like I am learning this year, when you don't focus on that job because it's done with you, you are on your own to focus on a life that, in most cases are so poorly prepared for..

Some guys get a golden ticket to coach or a sweet job, but most have to grind. Some know how, some get help, but most have no clue...

If you made it this far...I say check in on your former mates, whether they are good friends or not. Hearing from a teammate may help. I wish the leagues and alumni associations did a better job following up with guys that get let go...that put their bodies on the line to win cups and sell tickets. If they did a better job, deaths like this may be avoided...even if they can't contact the guy directly there's always a guy who knows where someone is, and if he needs help...get it to him.

Dorian was lucky to have an Angel on earth Randy Spencer watching over him. Most wouldn't do have of what you did...although I am sad and angered I am also thankful that i know people like you exist in my circle of friends...you are a model of what true friendship is. I am thankful for many ex teammates university and pro that check in from time to time...

In that vain I want to thank Jack Fulton for his tireless work with almost no reward. He founded Life Choice Dynamics has helped countless guys with the stampeders and some other teams, with advice on how to adjust when the 'focused on football' days are done. His presence and guidance has opened many players eyes to prepare for life when the game doesn't want you anymore. Many players don't need a presence like his but many do...

Many football players on my FB, know of guys that had struggles while playing...their struggles don't end when they aren't on the movie set anymore...usually just beginning....take a moment to reach out...you may save a life.

RIP
    Boose
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Very sad indeed...

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Thanks for digging that story up Diesel.

vCash

I remember having supper with Joe and Glenda a year after he left the game. He said it was one of the most terrifying times of their lives trying to figure out "where do we go from here". The game affects every facet of your life and when that huge influence is removed the vacuum that is left can be ominous and devastating thing. I'm sure Kep would agree!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Rest in Peace

vCash

Great player, to bad he abandoned his family and became a junkie. He was living on the edmonton streets the past couple years, drugs are bad kids.

vCash

Very sad.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

There's a nice write up about Boose on the Edmonton Sun's Website and it'll be in tomorrow's paper if not todays

vCash

Dorian Boose in that one championship season was easily my favourite defensive player. Such a sad story and as someone who has dealt with some of the same issues he had....there is both help and hope out there.
    Last edited by stamphater; 11-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on