Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Esks: By The Numbers

vCash

Re: Esks: By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Too bad Mookie & Derel both wore 87.
    There are a few numbers where it will be tough but I think fewer in the 80s than there were in previous rounds. Still, both those players are already receiving (pardon the pun) lots of votes so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    You know you're a legend when you are remembered for "a" catch, and that grab late in the 05 Grey Cup was certainly Mookie's moment as an Eskimo. Still, I voted for Walker.
    Neither player was here for a super long time, but both definitely had an impact in their time here.

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Some nice old fart names in this one.
    Then you'll love the next round........
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Some slam dunks in that grouping
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Some slam dunks in that grouping
    No doubt.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

While there are some slam dunks in my mind too, not one player is unanimous in voting. Every number has votes for at least 2 players so far. And there may be some upsets, just saying......
    @EsksHistory

vCash

It's an upset if Prather doesn't win.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

It's an upset if Prather doesn't win.
    Did you vote for him at #74...? Prather was an amazing two-way end and 3-4 inches taller than anyone else on the field. Also was the guy who dislodged the ball (along with Ted Tully) from Chuck Hunsinger in the 1954 Grey Cup that led to the winning TD run by Jackie Parker.

@EsksHistory

vCash

Have updated the first page with the results from the first 8 rounds, and added the choices for round 9 -- Jersey #s 80-89.

Anyone surprised at any of the results so far?
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Have updated the first page with the results from the first 8 rounds, and added the choices for round 9 -- Jersey #s 80-89.

Anyone surprised at any of the results so far?
    With the way I've voted I'm not surprised by any choices. One number I vote for a player that had a very good one or two year stint here and then next number I bypass a player that had good stats and go for a player that has longevity. Just know it's an outstanding thread and really tests the memory. Some very difficult picks , but lots of fun.

vCash

I don't know how I missed round 8. Arghh!

vCash

The last round is here -- numbers 90-99 are ready for your votes now:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MJFY8W3

Some legendary players and a bunch of fan favourites to choose from. Contest is nearly over so get your picks in now!!
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Well a huge thanks to everyone who made the Esks: By The Numbers a big success, and a heck of a lot of fun to do!

The first post in this thread has been updated with all 99 winners, and we will be drawing for the winner of the contest tonight around 8:15 PM on the @EskEmpirePod Periscope -- if you can, check it out!! (if you don't know what "periscope" is, it's streaming video and can be downloaded for Android or iPhone. Get it downloaded here:https://www.pscp.tv)

Lots of fun items in the prize pack. Good luck to all who have filled it out, as that is an entry into the contest for each time you filled it out!

Looking forward to seeing what we come up with for next off season. Should be a fun one!
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Thanks for this 56Parkies !! Was great seeing old names that I had forgotten about and then some that were obvious ones for me. My take away from this was that I know there are a lot of numbers, but surprised at how few "tough decisions" there actually were.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Thank you, Parkies.
    Was a superb thread, even if I misses few rounds of voting I always checked the results.
    It helped remind and teach us all about what the EE were and are.

vCash

Would be cool if someone had time to post the complete list with pictures of each player. An Esksfans Wall of Honour so to speak...
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Would be cool if someone had time to post the complete list with pictures of each player. An Esksfans Wall of Honour so to speak...
    X1000
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    X1000
    In the works right now for the winner of the contest. Definitely a fun one to put together, so I'm glad people enjoyed it! The poster I am making won't be available however, as it's too pricey to put together and there would be licensing issues with some of the photos so a sale is right out. In the mean time, here's a low res version of the draft poster:

@EsksHistory

vCash

Thanks for putting that together for us, Mike. Totally awesome to be able to check out those pics.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Thanks for putting that together for us, Mike. Totally awesome to be able to check out those pics.
    Thanks, Dan! Tried to source photos where you could see the number on the player's jersey wherever possible. Looking at getting a new photo of Greg Marshall from a friend so I don't have to use his 1983 head shot, and it will pretty much be done. Wish it was easier (and cheaper!) to get photos' rights and could get this actually printed for more people.
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Schaefer got my vote for #43

By the way, i played from 1990-2002 not 1990-2000. Minor detail. Lol

This is a glorious list. Many thanks to the guys who put it together. Wish the Eskimos would put something like this together for the fans.
    Last edited by Jedrock43; 02-25-2019 at 10:27 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43 View Post
    Schaefer got my vote for #43
    Schaefer was a beast, but he doesn't own those Special Team records - you do. I think the fans got it right on this one.

By the way, i played from 1990-2002 not 1990-2000. Minor detail. Lol
    The dates weren't meant to reflect when the player was active, or even with the Eskimos; it was set to reflect when they wore that number. You wore #43 1990-2000 and #76 from 2000-2002, if I remember right...?

This is a glorious list. Many thanks to the guys who put it together. Wish the Eskimos would put something like this together for the fans.
    Thanks again; it was a lot of fun putting it together. I had planned to do a similar "Esks: By Position" and put together a full depth chart of offense, defense and ST, but that fell by the wayside last year after Andrew had his back issues. He's pretty much back to where he should be (not sure he'll ever win any Limbo contests, but....), so maybe we'll do it next off-season.

We did up a single poster of the top 99, but because of copyright issues, we couldn't make them available for anyone else. It's hanging in the Turf District if anyone wants to pop over and check it out.
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Makes sense! Thanks again..

vCash

Here's a thumbnail of what the poster looked like; was fun putting this together too!

@EsksHistory

vCash

Dang, that's a pleasure to see those pics. Love to see the guys from the 1950's team with the high numbers, especially JD with # 91. interesting to Tommy Joe with 78 , I only recall him here with 77 & maybe 84.

vCash

Dang, that's a pleasure to see those pics. Love to see the guys from the 1950's team with the high numbers, especially JD with # 91. interesting to Tommy Joe with 78 , I only recall him here with 77 & maybe 84.
    I hemmed and hawed over that one for a long time. I knew there was no way that AJ Gass wasn't winning the fan vote for #77, and I hated to see someone as important as Tommy Joe not have SOME kind of representation. It was hard enough for me deciding between Roger Nelson and John LaGrone for #66, and when it came down to the fan vote, neither of them won and it went to Matt O'Donnell, so whaddya do? :P

Tommy Joe played wearing 78 for his first two seasons in 1959 and 1960, before quitting to try a business venture before the 1961 season. He came back in 1962 and switched over to #77, which he is far more well known for wearing, having that number for 5 years from 1962 through 1966 before the disastrous trade that sent him to Hamilton prior to the 1967 season.
    @EsksHistory

vCash

sorry but it's Roger.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

sorry but it's Roger.
    That was who ultimately got my vote as well, but again, the fan base who voted thought otherwise.

Sure could use Roger and LaGrone in their prime on the 2019 team, that’s for sure.
    @EsksHistory

vCash

That was who ultimately got my vote as well, but again, the fan base who voted thought otherwise.

Sure could use Roger and LaGrone in their prime on the 2019 team, that’s for sure.
    Just my take but I voted as you and "piz" did. Nelson is in the CFL Hall of Fame , was here for a decade or so, numerous times an all star OT, and iirc he was player coach for a short time. Seem to remember him leaving for the USA military draft but he returned when his hitch was over.

LaGrone was one of my all time "favs' though. His strength and quickness for his size was outstanding. Used to break into the O backfield and cause havoc with ball carriers and QB's. He was like a fox in a henhouse always looking for the fattest chicken.

vCash

Just my take but I voted as you and "piz" did. Nelson is in the CFL Hall of Fame , was here for a decade or so, numerous times an all star OT, and iirc he was player coach for a short time. Seem to remember him leaving for the USA military draft but he returned when his hitch was over.

LaGrone was one of my all time "favs' though. His strength and quickness for his size was outstanding. Used to break into the O backfield and cause havoc with ball carriers and QB's. He was like a fox in a henhouse always looking for the fattest chicken.
    Not sure why LaGrone isn’t in the CFHOF - he compares pretty well to Don Luzzi: undersized, aggressive DT; 6-time West All Star; 2-time all-CFL; won the Most Outstanding Lineman award (as well as being the west MOL in his rookie year)..... pretty much parallels Luzzi’s career. Neither won the GC, though LaGrone was in it twice and Luzzi once...... might be a new pet project to get him enshrined while he’s still kicking.
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Not sure why LaGrone isn’t in the CFHOF - he compares pretty well to Don Luzzi: undersized, aggressive DT; 6-time West All Star; 2-time all-CFL; won the Most Outstanding Lineman award (as well as being the west MOL in his rookie year)..... pretty much parallels Luzzi’s career. Neither won the GC, though LaGrone was in it twice and Luzzi once...... might be a new pet project to get him enshrined while he’s still kicking.
    I believe when we had explored this a few years back for another deserving candidate, they talked of a "veterans" category or something like that, for guys that had passed 25 years since retiring. Any idea if that is in place now?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I believe when we had explored this a few years back for another deserving candidate, they talked of a "veterans" category or something like that, for guys that had passed 25 years since retiring. Any idea if that is in place now?
    If it is, I haven't heard about it, though I do remember them talking about looking into it. Perhaps we should interview Mark DeNobile one of these days on the Podcast.....

I would include Oscar Kruger in that lot of former Eskimos that deserve to be in the CFHOF, along with Hector Pothier, Bill Stevenson, Jim "Long Gone" Thomas, Joe Hollimon and a host of other names.
    @EsksHistory