Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Esks: By The Numbers

vCash

Re: Esks: By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    If it is, I haven't heard about it, though I do remember them talking about looking into it. Perhaps we should interview Mark DeNobile one of these days on the Podcast.....

I would include Oscar Kruger in that lot of former Eskimos that deserve to be in the CFHOF, along with Hector Pothier, Bill Stevenson, Jim "Long Gone" Thomas, Joe Hollimon and a host of other names.
    I'd take them all!!!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    I'd take them all!!!!
    X 2.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    I'd take them all!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    X 2.
    It’s a shame they don’t let us make those calls, sadly. There are a ton of fantastic people on this board who could rattle off the names of a half dozen players that should go up on the wall or in the Hall who aren’t there yet.

Personally, I would like to see more recent players go up on the wall with players from longer ago.
    Jason Tucker and Joe Hollimon both being inducted together for instance. You get a chance to appeal to a large cross-section of people who consider those players from “their era”, and it keeps people interested.

I also think it needs to be a “bigger deal” when someone goes up on the wall. More than just a scarf or some thunder sticks with a name and then the rest is a sponsor. It’s criminal that with our rich history, we have released just one bobble head for a player. Why not make special mini footballs with the player’s name(s) on it? Or maybe a limited edition trading card or 5x7 photos with their bios on it (and please, don’t reduce their legacy to one or two sentences - these men fought and bled for our enjoyment), and a great action shot from their heyday. Something more than trotting them out to midfield and give them 2-3 min while half the stadium is off loading up on beers or hitting the bathroom. At halftime I usually go meet people for what we call “Westivus”, but if they’re inducting players on the wall and making it something spectacular, you bet your ass staying in my seats to give them the ovation they richly deserve.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

It’s a shame they don’t let us make those calls, sadly. There are a ton of fantastic people on this board who could rattle off the names of a half dozen players that should go up on the wall or in the Hall who aren’t there yet.

Personally, I would like to see more recent players go up on the wall with players from longer ago.
    Jason Tucker and Joe Hollimon both being inducted together for instance. You get a chance to appeal to a large cross-section of people who consider those players from “their era”, and it keeps people interested.

I also think it needs to be a “bigger deal” when someone goes up on the wall. More than just a scarf or some thunder sticks with a name and then the rest is a sponsor. It’s criminal that with our rich history, we have released just one bobble head for a player. Why not make special mini footballs with the player’s name(s) on it? Or maybe a limited edition trading card or 5x7 photos with their bios on it (and please, don’t reduce their legacy to one or two sentences - these men fought and bled for our enjoyment), and a great action shot from their heyday. Something more than trotting them out to midfield and give them 2-3 min while half the stadium is off loading up on beers or hitting the bathroom. At halftime I usually go meet people for what we call “Westivus”, but if they’re inducting players on the wall and making it something spectacular, you bet your ass staying in my seats to give them the ovation they richly deserve.
    In a city known for doing it up right (Oilers) there are few that I recall that were done right for the Esks. One of the few that is memorable for me was Giz.

Along the same line, when was the last time we brought back the remaining members of one of the Grey Cup teams to honour them?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Along the same line, when was the last time we brought back the remaining members of one of the Grey Cup teams to honour them?
    Last time was on the 5th of never.

Missed a golden opportunity this past year, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the 1993 Cup win, or the 40th anniversary of the 1978 win - the 1st of the 5-in-a-row. Even the 40th anniversary of Commonwealth was pretty lackluster.

To me this starts at the top. You have someone in charge who cares about the legacy of the team and it will get made a priority. They don’t care, and.... well you’ve seen the results.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Last time was on the 5th of never.

Missed a golden opportunity this past year, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the 1993 Cup win, or the 40th anniversary of the 1978 win - the 1st of the 5-in-a-row. Even the 40th anniversary of Commonwealth was pretty lackluster.

To me this starts at the top. You have someone in charge who cares about the legacy of the team and it will get made a priority. They don’t care, and.... well you’ve seen the results.
    IIRC the Argos recently had a game to honor the the '71 team bringing a number of the greats back including Theismann and they didn't even win the GC. You're right it's a joke that the Esks haven't done more to honor the players of the past and some of their phenomenal accomplishments.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    IIRC the Argos recently had a game to honor the the '71 team bringing a number of the greats back including Theismann and they didn't even win the GC. You're right it's a joke that the Esks haven't done more to honor the players of the past and some of their phenomenal accomplishments.
    This past year might have been tough, as with the Grey Cup, and the strong emergence of the Alumni Luncheon event, they might not have wanted to step on toes by bringing guys back earlier in the year and stepping on those toes, but the point stands - it's a fitting way to honour both the players and the fans from that generation for whom it's memorable.

I'm sure it's not cheap to do that - flights and a few nights' hotel for 30+ guys plus spouses, but it makes a lot more sense to tribute them every so often while they're still around.

One of the things I have challenged the CFL Alumni Association on, from time to time, is whether they want to be strictly a fraternal and advocacy group - a vehicle for former players to stay in touch and rub shoulders, while looking out for them... or whether they want to expand the tent to included "allies" and work to create opportunities to promote the alums. The challenge is, there isn't always a clear vision that way when you're trying to get a group of disparate guys on the same page. I would love to see them work more towards promoting the alumni members among the fans that still look up to them and reminding a lot of those guys that they aren't forgotten... and in fact, remain a pretty big deal to a lot of us.

The CFLAA inducted their first "Honourary Alumni Member" at their luncheon last year - a good friend of a few of us, and I was incredibly proud that she received that honour for all she's done for their cause. I'm hoping that, in part, it signals more of a move towards a promotion mandate and looking to create fan interactions with some of the players that contributed to building the game to what it is today.