Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2017

vCash

Discussion Around the CFL - 2017

I thought it was only fair to the New year to move the discussion into it's own thread.

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2017

Man...2017 already? I have NOT been paying attention.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Man...2017 already? I have NOT been paying attention.
    You can celebrate with us Ukes this weekend!

vCash

Sounds good to me...I've been eating pyrogies for dinner every night this week!

vCash

Rights to Darian Durant traded to the Alouettes for 2 draft picks.

vCash

I wonder if Franklin plays into this at all?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Rights to Darian Durant traded to the Alouettes for 2 draft picks.
    Jones has lost his mind. You don't win in the CFL without a bona fide quarterback, this fact has been proven time and time again, yet you just drove away your only sure thing. I just don't see the plan over in the rectangle, even if you can get Franklin (and that's a big IF...) he isn't proven either. I like the kid, but let's be realistic about what he has accomplished so far. He has beat up on a bad Toronto team twice and got worked by a good Hamilton team. I wouldn't want to hang my career future on that sample size. How many times have we seen backups look great in a few games then falter badly when given the reigns, yet this is Jones' plan for success over in the rectangle.

I think what baffles me the most is that Jones seems to be playing this rebuild like he has 4+ years to make it work. This is Saskabush, IMO if he isn't in contention for a playoff spot at the end of this year the fans run him out of town.

Maybe Jones is the Eskimos response to "he who shall not be named". They sent their spy to destroy us, so now we have sent our spy to destroy them
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash
    Blog Entries

Now, wasn't Durant a Free Agent next month? Who's to say they can even get a deal struck with him? A fourth round this year and a conditional second round next year isn't much for "the most highly touted players slated to hit the market"... I don't think he's the best QB in the League by any stretch but he was better than a total unknown. Anything that makes the Whiners weaker is better for us so YAY...but it just seems dumb on both sides.
    "An instant contender to win the CFL East Division"... Riiiggghht...
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Now, wasn't Durant a Free Agent next month? Who's to say they can even get a deal struck with him? A fourth round this year and a conditional second round next year isn't much for "the most highly touted players slated to hit the market"... I don't think he's the best QB in the League by any stretch but he was better than a total unknown. Anything that makes the Whiners weaker is better for us so YAY...but it just seems dumb on both sides.
    They prob are, east is a mess... Ottawa aside

vCash

The Riders made out well here and the Kavis Als will be a clown show. Durant is on the down side still wants starters money and is injury prone. He could have waited a few weeks and just signed the guy most likely. Now he is going to have to pony up on the contract to avoid looking dumb. I'd ask for the moon if I was Durant. This is a Maciocia level of Gm move imo.

vCash

I guess Durant is an upgrade over what the Als have which isn't saying much but I think it's a bad trade. You have to think that the Bombers will do what they can to sign Nichols. So the only team looking for a QB are the Riders and Als. Pretty clear the Riders are done with Durant so who's going after Durant realistically in free agency so trading for him was a waste.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    He will fill the roll Tracy Ham did when the team arrived in Montreal. We have two very good young QB's developing nicely that have won multiple games, so if Durant gives us 10 to 12 games a season like Tracy did and works with the kids to empower them, it may work out well for us. People can hit Kavis on this but JC wanted a veteran QB on the roster and Kavis got the best one available. Plus we have tons of deadwood on the roster to pay for it. Crompton, Jourdain, SJ Green (reconstructive knee surgery) alone pay for a good portion of his contract, then we have a ton of vets like Hebert, Logan,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I guess Durant is an upgrade over what the Als have which isn't saying much but I think it's a bad trade. You have to think that the Bombers will do what they can to sign Nichols. So the only team looking for a QB are the Riders and Als. Pretty clear the Riders are done with Durant so who's going after Durant realistically in free agency so trading for him was a waste.
    Don't agree. By having cost certainty at the QB position a month ahead of free agency allows us to budget the payroll and make offers to our Free agents or not.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

This should be interesting. Jones has at least one more year of rebuild good will in the tank before the savages turn on him. If he plans to get by with a journeyman in hopes he can lure a young FA QB next season, he better be sure what he wants is actually available...
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Riders made out well here and the Kavis Als will be a clown show. Durant is on the down side still wants starters money and is injury prone. He could have waited a few weeks and just signed the guy most likely. Now he is going to have to pony up on the contract to avoid looking dumb. I'd ask for the moon if I was Durant. This is a Maciocia level of Gm move imo.
    I don't know, IMO I think the Als come out looking pretty good on this one. I doubt you make this trade unless you know for certain that you can sign him. Als problems last year were all on offense, their defense was good so while Durant may not be an elite QB he is far and away better than anything on the Als roster, so there is bound to be improvement. Even with their gong show, they just missed the playoffs last year. Putting Durant in probably makes the Als at least a playoff team.

IMO the only way the Als look bad in this is if Durant gets injured and is out for significant time.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    This should be interesting. Jones has at least one more year of rebuild good will in the tank before the savages turn on him. If he plans to get by with a journeyman in hopes he can lure a young FA QB next season, he better be sure what he wants is actually available...
    The savages expect Franklin nothing less... Good Times !

vCash

Oh I know they do, thats where the fun lies
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    You don't win in the CFL without a bona fide quarterback, this fact has been proven time and time again, yet you just drove away your only sure thing.
    That's why I'm thinking he's got someone locked up already

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    That's why I'm thinking he's got someone locked up already
    I'm not sure he has right now...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HFXTC View Post
    The savages expect Franklin nothing less... Good Times !
    Let's hope ed is smart and not give him what he wanted..

vCash

CJ is going to go in one of two directions, with an old vet like Glenn to try and get by while maybe bringing a rook along, or he tries to get a guy like Nichols. The tricky thing is it would likely take a 3 yr deal to get MN with some guaranteed cash to do it, which will hurt his pocket book if he tries to move away from MN a year from now, thinking he may get someone else. Get the popcorn, this should be fun
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HFXTC View Post

Don't agree. By having cost certainty at the QB position a month ahead of free agency allows us to budget the payroll and make offers to our Free agents or not.
    I guess so but like I said, who's signing him? The only team needing a QB is the Al's and the Riders and if you read Jones's comments about Durant, I am sure he "tried" to sign Durant to a dirt cheap deal, he said the numbers didn't work out. Meaning we gave him a next to nothing offer. So Jones didn't really want him. Plus he's going to be 35 yrs old and he's coming off a season where he was mostly healthy but the Riders were beyond bad including Durant. In addition, the 2 previous years, he had major injuries. So again, who's rushing to sign Durant #1. #2, he's got zero leverage to sign any kind of big contract. So yes it's nice to have some cost certainty but Durant has never been a top tier QB, he's coming off a bad season, he's getting older and his body is breaking down. So I wouldn't be breaking the bank for the guy.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

CJ is going to go in one of two directions, with an old vet like Glenn to try and get by while maybe bringing a rook along, or he tries to get a guy like Nichols. The tricky thing is it would likely take a 3 yr deal to get MN with some guaranteed cash to do it, which will hurt his pocket book if he tries to move away from MN a year from now, thinking he may get someone else. Get the popcorn, this should be fun
    I think it would be a mistake for Nichols to walk from his situation in Winnipeg for a few extra bucks.

vCash

If you were going to go with a guy like Glenn, then why not just keep Durant? They are both on the downside of their career and Durant is better. I just can't see Jones going after Nichols after he dumped him from Edmonton (and would Nichols want to play for Jones after what happened?) Nothing about this trade makes any sense.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I guess so but like I said, who's signing him? The only team needing a QB is the Al's and the Riders and if you read Jones's comments about Durant, I am sure he "tried" to sign Durant to a dirt cheap deal, he said the numbers didn't work out. Meaning we gave him a next to nothing offer. So Jones didn't really want him. Plus he's going to be 35 yrs old and he's coming off a season where he was mostly healthy but the Riders were beyond bad including Durant. In addition, the 2 previous years, he had major injuries. So again, who's rushing to sign Durant #1. #2, he's got zero leverage to sign any kind of big contract. So yes it's nice to have some cost certainty but Durant has never been a top tier QB, he's coming off a bad season, he's getting older and his body is breaking down. So I wouldn't be breaking the bank for the guy.

It does not change that negotiating with Durant for the first few days of free agency keeping our pricier free agents on ice would cost us more talent than a couple mid rounders. We lose one starter like Cox or Cash because we don't know what we can offer them is a lot worse than a ST prospect that will sign for two years.

vCash

Last I heard Nichols was asking upward of 400k.. jones ain't payin that kinda money..

I'm surprised no one is knocking drew tates door....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Last I heard Nichols was asking upward of 400k.. jones ain't payin that kinda money..

I'm surprised no one is knocking drew tates door....
    He reminds of Alex Moran from Blue Mountain state, just doing what he needs to do to get by and hoping to never be the starter
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    He reminds of Alex Moran from Blue Mountain state, just doing what he needs to do to get by and hoping to never be the starter
    Lack of ambition certainly hurt his stock.

vCash

I think this works out pretty well for the Als. Their current QB's have potential but need room to grow. Durant's a decent (not elite) QB who can hold things together over there for a bit. I think he's got a few more years of shelf life, barring injury. As someone said above, no way the Als make this deal unless they are sure they can sign him. This is how we got Reilly, after all.

On the greenwhites side, it's puzzling. I don't see their fans tolerating moving into a new stadium this year with their team about to tank another year with no real QB. So who do they have in mind? Nichols? I doubt it. And, a year in the CFL is a VERY long time. If they're counting on Franklin for 2018, they'd best go back a year and see how many QB situations changed in that time.

Maybe Jones bought the "Franklin's an FA this year" posts from Rider Stronson

vCash

Duran Carter to the Riders

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I think this works out pretty well for the Als. Their current QB's have potential but need room to grow. Durant's a decent (not elite) QB who can hold things together over there for a bit. I think he's got a few more years of shelf life, barring injury. As someone said above, no way the Als make this deal unless they are sure they can sign him. This is how we got Reilly, after all.

On the greenwhites side, it's puzzling. I don't see their fans tolerating moving into a new stadium this year with their team about to tank another year with no real QB. So who do they have in mind? Nichols? I doubt it. And, a year in the CFL is a VERY long time. If they're counting on Franklin for 2018, they'd best go back a year and see how many QB situations changed in that time.

Maybe Jones bought the "Franklin's an FA this year" posts from Rider Stronson
    Rider Stronson's been telling his sheeps for TWO YEARS now that the Als will have to liquidate their roster and firetruck our Oline prospects and they still buy his BS...

Lawless is reporting that Jones is about to throw bags of money at Duron Carter
    I mean there isn't a worst investment in his club, Jones could make. He's making the same mistake Barker made when he threw bags of money at Lawrence Philips

vCash

meanwhile, in Montreal, there appears to be some confusion between coaches, players and media

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie