Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian football video game

vCash

Tech Canadian football video game

http://www.3downnation.com/2017/03/1...-ready-launch/

Be cool to see this. Too bad the CFL hasn't given it support, just another missed opportunity from the league.

vCash

Re: Canadian football video game

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    http://www.3downnation.com/2017/03/1...-ready-launch/

Be cool to see this. Too bad the CFL hasn't given it support, just another missed opportunity from the league.
    read that yesterday, very disappointed in the league for not getting behind it.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yeah, this game will suck. Fake names, fake players, can't even play a season...meh.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Yeah, this game will suck. Fake names, fake players, can't even play a season...meh.
    I'll buy it just to show my interest in having a CFL game but I have the same expectations that you do. they even had to change the stadiums so they didn't match

vCash

For $20, I'll give it a go, just to support the idea.

vCash

I think it'll take about ten minutes before someone posts a mod to bring the names to CFL specs. I bought both of Winter's last two games. They were OK for their time, but don't expect the polish of Madden.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I'll support it, just so the CFL can hopefully see that we want a video game and perhaps the next version will have the right team names/stadiums/players etc.

If it doesn't sell well, the league can just use the excuse that we don't want a video game.... surely someone can Mod it to make it look right for us, since the rules part is the hardest part of programming the game...
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Why the hell wouldn't the league support this initiative?!)!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Why the hell wouldn't the league support this initiative?!)!
    I seem to remember The league wanted to partner with Madden but nothing came about. I am sure they don't want to go with an inferior product.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    I seem to remember The league wanted to partner with Madden but nothing came about. I am sure they don't want to go with an inferior product.
    You're probably right there, but man getting a proper video game out there can sure help market your product.

vCash

No uk release sucks.. I would buy it no question

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    No uk release sucks.. I would buy it no question
    I could buy you one and ship it to you

vCash

Buy it to support it but the game doesn't sound too great. Especially the having to pick a play quicker and the potential to go offside. I like it from a true CFL fan standpoint but I am sure that would get annoying pretty quick for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

This league under Orridge has done nothing but shoot itself in the foot over...and over....and over again. It's frustrating.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Buy it to support it but the game doesn't sound too great. Especially the having to pick a play quicker and the potential to go offside. I like it from a true CFL fan standpoint but I am sure that would get annoying pretty quick for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

This league under Orridge has done nothing but shoot itself in the foot over...and over....and over again. It's frustrating.
    I read that you can make it so that the snap is automatic and that you can get extra time to pick your plays.

vCash

I realize that some feel that the CFL should have got behind this game. Personally I feel (based on what I've seen and heard so far) that it is far below the standards I think our league would want in order to attach its name to.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I realize that some feel that the CFL should have got behind this game. Personally I feel (based on what I've seen and heard so far) that it is far below the standards I think our league would want in order to attach its name to.
    I agree that they shouldn't throw out a sub par product but they could have came to the table with a list of quality demands, it seems they didn't even give them the time of day.

vCash

I can't blame the league for not getting behind this. This is an inferior product compared to Madden. If anything, to expose the league more, which is what they want, they need to get behind a big name to promote the game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I can't blame the league for not getting behind this. This is an inferior product compared to Madden. If anything, to expose the league more, which is what they want, they need to get behind a big name to promote the game.
    and if no big name steps up to the plate? IMO they could have gotten behind this but made a bunch of quality demands.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    and if no big name steps up to the plate? IMO they could have gotten behind this but made a bunch of quality demands.
    But how does having fake CFL team names really promote the league? You can't use real player names either so, really, I can see why the league wants to this right the first time if they are going to put their names on something like this. LOTS of people play video games. Why not do it right instead of getting behind something that's half-ass done?

vCash

If this game is anything like Winter's last two games, it's a real labour of love, and definitely not half-ass done. In fact, sometimes he had the problem that he wanted it to be perfect, and spent so much time polishing that the growth of technology ran ahead of him by the time he was satisfied. In the end though, it'll be an "indie" product. The guy doesn't have a warehouse full of programmers working for him.

Winter isn't allowed to use the real team names until the league gets behind it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    If this game is anything like Winter's last two games, it's a real labour of love, and definitely not half-ass done. In fact, sometimes he had the problem that he wanted it to be perfect, and spent so much time polishing that the growth of technology ran ahead of him by the time he was satisfied. In the end though, it'll be an "indie" product. The guy doesn't have a warehouse full of programmers working for him.

Winter isn't allowed to use the real team names until the league gets behind it.
    Exactly. It's not like developers are lining up to put out a CFL game, so this could be a way of gauging demand, so the league is missing an opportunity to promote themselves. I can't imagine Madden would be willing to sink money into something with potentially little demand. The league could get on board with this and have some say into the expected quality, and it either could be a promotional tool that they have a lot of say in, or could leverage down the road for a bigger deal with a bigger developer once the demand is better known. Regardless, for $20, I'm willing to show my support and play something with Canadian rules. Sure, I'd prefer real player names and a full season setting, but half the greenwhites are no name players anyway, so it will be fun to beat up on them.

vCash

But how does having fake CFL team names really promote the league? You can't use real player names either so, really, I can see why the league wants to this right the first time if they are going to put their names on something like this. LOTS of people play video games. Why not do it right instead of getting behind something that's half-ass done?
    It has fake names and players BECAUSE the league isn't involved with the project. If the CFL put their stamp on it then the developer would have the rights to all CFL names, logos, stadiums, etc to be in the game
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SandManFan View Post
    It has fake names and players BECAUSE the league isn't involved with the project. If the CFL put their stamp on it then the developer would have the rights to all CFL names, logos, stadiums, etc to be in the game
    This. I am disappointed in the league for their lack of effort with this, as I highly doubt Madden ever comes to the table for the CFL.

vCash

Bless the developer for his efforts, but the last thing the league needs to do is start branding inferior product with their trademark. I think it has the potential to scare away marketing opportunities with large companies when we start to throw our logo on something that doesn't measure up.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 03-22-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    This. I am disappointed in the league for their lack of effort with this, as I highly doubt Madden ever comes to the table for the CFL.
    Have you heard of the developer before? I've never heard of this company at all and I used to be a big video game fan. I bet a majority of people haven't heard of them either. That's why I can see the league not getting behind this at this time. A unknown developer who is putting this game out there. Doesn't benefit the league much now, does it? I didn't read the whole article but will this be on PS4 or XBOX?

vCash

Have you heard of the developer before? I've never heard of this company at all and I used to be a big video game fan. I bet a majority of people haven't heard of them either. That's why I can see the league not getting behind this at this time. A unknown developer who is putting this game out there. Doesn't benefit the league much now, does it? I didn't read the whole article but will this be on PS4 or XBOX?
    Both. Xbox first, PlayStation to follow.

vCash

Winter's been around for a long time, but it's always been a home-grown product. He used to be based in the Vancouver area; don't know if he still is. His first release was in 1999; the second was called "Maximum Football", I think. I vaguely recall that the 1999 game was endorsed by the league, but not the later one.

vCash

I'm not knocking this developer for putting the game out. Good on him. But I can see why the league didn't go for this. They want to be taken as a serious league and they will wait until someone with a bigger name comes along and showcases their product. That makes good business sense to me.

vCash

This is where we differ, I think putting a video game on the market is going to attract a new audience and potentially new ticket holders. Again they could have put all sorts of quality stipulations in there and made sure the product was good, instead they just said no. And if they are going to wait for someone with a bigger name to come along and make a game, they are going to be waiting a LONG time.

vCash

I absolutely think there are some who completely undersell just how much exposure a video game can bring. But I kind of change my mind if this product is inferior because the last thing the CFL needs to do is continue to be associated with 'second-rate'.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on