Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodes' Failures, The Media, & The Board

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Tell Rhodes' Failures, The Media, & The Board

This evening I got emailed a detailed rundown of how things led us to today by a former Eskimo who doesn't post here, but knows 100% of what he speaks. For the sake of his ties with the league and league partners, he asked me to put this out there knowing that most will understand it's legitimacy even though he needs to remain anonymous

Oh the irony of how we got here

- Eskimos board hires Eric Tillman despite the fact he pled guilty to sexual assault of a minor. During the time of the Tillman allegations, Saskatchewan media protects/comes to the defense of Tillman including some national media (lawless and madani) since he provided them insider info on the CFL to the media and madani worked for Tillman in ottawa

- Media fully supports the hire by EE of Tillman since he is a friend of the media, the same media that defended him simply because he fed them information

- Rhodes hired as president claiming to be a rejuvenator of "brands" and that he single handed will fill the stadium, later revised to 40,000 per game. Rhodes decides concerts will bring in fans and books b-class act with the grand finale being vanilla ice. The concert series bombs. Rhodes takes credit for the new seats installed at commonwealth when it was Rick Lalacheur who planned and secured funding for the seats

- Tillman trades Ray, Rhodes takes credit for the trade, most media defend the trade. Eskimos organization implodes and ray wins the grey cup in Toronto.

- Leaks abound during the Tillman era in Edmonton and media says nothing negative about Tillman since he is their source of info.

- Tillman finally fired by the Eskimos after the Reid/Joseph/Jyles debacle and for media leaks and lying to the organization. Edmonton media piles on Tillman only after he is fired (not before) and national media comes to Tillman's defense for being fired (lawless and madani)

- Hervey hired and closes ranks with from the media after lessons learned with Tillman. Media doesn't defend Hervey like they did with Tillman... Taking every opportunity to take pot shots. Attendance drops significantly during Tillman's regime despite being "media friendly" but lack of access is an attendance excuse when it come to Hervey and not due to lack of marketing, poor scheduling and Rhodes failure as a "brand rejuvenator".

- Hervey restores the EE scouting system, hires strong coaching staffs, trades for franchise players, stops the media leaks, brings a grey cup to the city of Edmonton after 10 years and is one win away from another grey cup appearance in 2016

- Hervey consistently criticized locally and nationally by the media for lack of access and the fact he refused to give insider information to the media despite turning around the Eskimos organization.

- Hervey supports Jason Maas and Mike Reilly for not wearing the mic in montreal and takes the bulllet for both despite trying to work with the league prior to the game due to the no huddle offense issues. EE wears the mic the last game of the year but CFL not happy with Maas not calling plays, just like Wally Buono, mike Oshea, Rick Campbell, etc, who were mic'd up, and threatened to fine Hervey and maas.

- Hervey fired by Rhodes and the board for lack of media access (a red herring in my mind) and the tsn mic issue. Tillman fired for the opposite reason.

- Media not defending hervey since he did not give inside information to them over the years (ask lawless whether he asked hervey when he was hired to fed him info in exchange for his support). Remember, this is the same media had no issues coming to Tillman's defense because he provided inside info.

- Fleming's assessment is bang on about Rhodes.

This one is on the old board, the new board, Rhodes, and the local media who have thin skin.

There is more but this is what I was asked to share
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: Rhodes' Failures, The Media, & The Board

Dark day when media access trumps grey cup wins
    #PizStrong

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Dark day when media access trumps grey cup wins
    Bear in mind, this is a group of people who would consider paying for their own soda as akin to genocide
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

An Ode to Len Rhodes:

"Len Rhodes has a clear vision for the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club and that is to create a sports and entertainment experience worthy of champions. He maintains the highest standards for on-field success, the stadium fan experience and is dedicated to enhancing the Eskimos presence in the community.

Since he was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer on Dec. 1, 2011, Rhodes has taken a football first approach, committing club resources to Football Operations and hiring General Manager Ed Hervey to lead the Eskimos Football Operations.

In 2015, Rhodes won his first Grey Cup championship as President and CEO.

Rhodes believes that an Eskimos game day experience should be all about the fans. He led a partnership with the Disney Institute to improve the guest experience. Together, with his on-field and off-field staff, his objective is to create legendary memories for guests at the stadium. Rhodes has overseen many upgrades at Commonwealth Stadium to significantly improve the game day experience.

He is also committed to significantly increasing funding for amateur football in Northern Alberta through the 50/50 program. After automating the system, the program raised and distributed $610,000 for amateur football in 2015 alone.

Rhodes is a consumer champion who has a solid reputation for “making things happen.” He brings senior executive experience from the sporting goods and consumer goods sectors where he held leading management roles with iconic brands and organizations, including Reebok-CCM Hockey, Molson Coors Brewing Company and Heinz. He is known for his ability to lead organizational turnarounds.

Prior to joining the Green and Gold, Rhodes oversaw the global operations of Reebok-CCM Hockey. As Senior Vice-President & General Manager, he led the worldwide launch of Reebok Hockey and made it a recognized global leader. Rhodes was also on the negotiating team that formed the exclusive long-term alliance between the National Hockey League and Reebok-CCM Hockey.

As an extremely active community member, Rhodes serves on the board of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce and he has made approximately 100 community appearances on behalf of the Edmonton Eskimos in each of the last four years. He was subsequently named a CEASE Man of Honour for his efforts in assisting WIN House and women who are survivors of domestic violence. Rhodes is also an alternate on the CFL Board of Governors. In 2015, Rhodes was named to Edmonton’s Power 30 Group by the Edmonton Journal and in 2016, he was also named to Alberta Venture Magazine’s list of Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People."

From the Edmonton Eskimo Website.

Rhodes signed off on the Ricky Ray trade within two weeks of becoming a football expert. It has been football first for him ever since.

vCash

**** Len Rhodes.

vCash

In looking at the financial statements for 2011 to 2015 you would see that revenue (in millions) went from 17.567 to 24.819. There was a big jump in the last two years of that time period. In 14 and 15 the CFL distribution went up by about 2 million, sponsorship climbed by 1.2 million (from 2011 to 2015) and '14 and 15 had playoff revenue of 1.3 and 1.7 respectively.

You would think that things are going okay with the growth of income the team has had.

I don't see things as really improving in that time in a sustainable way. The gate receipts in 2011 were 7.834 million and in 2015 they were 8.620 million. When you consider that ticket prices go up one dollar per seat every year it shows that Rhodes has been unable to grow the paying fanbase at all. The existing fanbase covered that $800,000 growth.

In my view sponsorship revenue growth is a double edged sword. Increased sponsorship comes with decreased 'game day experience'. Let me just go get my Fishermen's friend before I watch the excitement of the Jiffy Lube dogs.

Merchandise revenue went up by 76% in the last of those four years because winning will do that for you.

Did Rhodes say attendance decreased by 3% last year? How is cowering to the media and destabilizing your football team going to help? In all his time here he has not been able to do anything to increase attendance. He has done a great job of increasing 'sponsorship' and destroying the 'game day experience'. At some point sponsorship revenue is going to start going backwards when there is no audience for the sponsors.

Rhodes is a typical CEO type. Looking out for #1. Always.

Why would he think he should be earning more than the person that actually makes the football team work? He can't do Ed Hervey's job. His job is not as important as Ed Hervey's job. Yet he should make more money?

This is one of the darkest days in Edmonton Eskimo Football history. Certainly one of the darkest days in my 43 years as a season ticket purchaser.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Pretty good summation
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Ed didn't take the tradition of the firetruck out of the stadium.
    Ed didn't gut an entire generation of fans by trading Ricky Ray, which the organization is still paying for.
    Ed didn't hire an admitted child sex offender as the face of the franchise, which the organization is still paying for.
    Ed didn't approve a schedule last year that had no home dates down the stretch run.
    Ed didn't create thursday night games that the whole country doesn't like.
    Ed didn't create endless coaching challenges fishing for flags.
    Ed didn't roll out one of the worst in game experiences in pro sports.
    Ed didn't select the most lame music to ever be played at a football game.
    Ed didn't micro manage the crowd interaction to prevent fans having fun on their own during the game.
    Ed didn't sign deals limiting fan choice for beverages and concessions.
    Ed didn't continue to give radio rights to a station nobody under the age of 35 ever listens to
    Ed didn't allow two of the worst PBP and Color people in football to butcher it's broadcasts
    Ed didn't create a scenario where hardly a soul in the front office even knows the team history, let alone understanding how to sell it.
    Ed didn't create crappy marketing slogans and lousy radio spots
    Ed didn't cut the marketing budget
    Ed didn't keep rolling out a stale pizza box contest etc etc after touchdowns to kill fan momentum
    Ed didn't hire one of the most uninspiring stadium sideline announcers anywhere in football
    Ed didn't sign off on one of the most lame 3rd jerseys in league history
    Ed didn't instruct CW security staff for years to act like angry church nuns to fans for the crime of being loud and having fun
    Ed didn't hire Vanilla Ice as a way to connect with fans
    Ed didn't hire that gawd awful DJ Comatose
    Ed didn't leave dozens of kids disappointed after each touchdown by cutting back the amount of mini footballs tossed out.
    Ed didn't promise he was going to sell 40k tickets every game
    Ed didn't hire league officials who blow more calls per game than a military bugler
    Ed didn't hire a spineless empty suit of a commissioner who is failing
    Ed didn't hire a hockey stick rep to sell football...
    Last edited by Diesel; 04-09-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Like Suitor mentioned yesterday if this is a message by the league it better apply to all who are not in line with league vision...
    We have seen Trestman and Austin brutalize reporters numerous times and guys like Jones and Maas have ignored league contracts and rules as well.
    Rider fans are celebrating today but their organization better be held to the same standard or this will do more damage across the league than doing nothing.

As for Rhodes he better show some results at the gate this year...

Maas meets with Rhodes on monday, it will be interesting to see if he plays ball or walks. Because it will be made obviously clear to Maas who is the boss in Edmonton.

vCash

I would bet Maas speaks his mind. Rhodes has no more leverage right now after putting himself on the precipice of a cliff
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Ed didn't take the tradition of the firetruck out of the stadium.
    Ed didn't gut an entire generation of fans by trading Ricky Ray, which the organization is still paying for.
    Ed didn't hire an admitted child sex offender as the face of the franchise, which the organization is still paying for.
    Ed didn't approve a schedule last year that had no home dates down the stretch run.
    Ed didn't create thursday night games that the whole country doesn't like.
    Ed didn't create endless coaching challenges fishing for flags.
    Ed didn't roll out one of the worst in game experiences in pro sports.
    Ed didn't select the most lame music to ever be played at a football game.
    Ed didn't micro manage the crowd interaction to prevent fans having fun on their own during the game.
    Ed didn't sign deals limiting fan choice for beverages and concessions.
    Ed didn't continue to give radio rights to a station nobody under the age of 35 ever listens to
    Ed didn't allow two of the worst PBP and Color people in football to butcher it's broadcasts
    Ed didn't create a scenario where hardly a soul in the front office even knows the team history, let alone understanding how to sell it.
    Ed didn't create crappy marketing slogans and lousy radio spots
    Ed didn't cut the marketing budget
    Ed didn't keep rolling out a stale pizza box contest etc etc after touchdowns to kill fan momentum
    Ed didn't hire one of the most uninspiring stadium sideline announcers anywhere in football
    Ed didn't sign off on one of the most lame 3rd jerseys in league history
    Ed didn't instruct CW security staff for years to act like angry church nuns to fans for the crime of being loud and having fun
    Ed didn't hire Vanilla Ice as a way to connect with fans
    Ed didn't hire that gawd awful DJ Comatose
    Ed didn't promise he was going to sell 40k tickets every game
    Ed didn't hire league officials who blow more calls per game than a military bugler
    Ed didn't hire a spineless empty suit of a commissioner who is failing
    Ed didn't hire a hockey stick rep to sell football...
    All he did was produce a good football team with every arrow pointing up.... what a GM is suppose to do.. and he's the one who gets canned SMH

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HFXTC View Post
    Like Suitor mentioned yesterday if this is a message by the league it better apply to all who are not in line with league vision...
    We have seen Trestman and Austin brutalize reporters numerous times and guys like Jones and Maas have ignored league contracts and rules as well.
    Rider fans are celebrating today but their organization better be held to the same standard or this will do more damage across the league than doing nothing.

Maas meets with Rhodes on monday, it will be interesting to see if he plays ball or walks. Because it will be made obviously clear to Maas who is the boss in Edmonton.
    by the league ? Pffft. The commish is a puppet to TSN.

as for Maas... Love him and I think he'll be a great coach and I want him to stay ... But I'd love to see him walk...that would really light this situation up.

vCash

I would bet Maas speaks his mind. Rhodes has no more leverage right now after putting himself on the precipice of a cliff

He's in a strange pickle of a situation... But you know it possibly explains why they waited this late to fire Ed. Had they fired him in the fall, there would have been a real risk of exodus both by players and coaching staff. Must be heartbreaking to Eskimo lifers and will test their convictions...

vCash

Not 1 current player has spoken out in support of hervey....

Why?

Because it's a business.. players and coaches prob still need jobs.. the game carries on and with this thought process Maas would be silly to even concider walking away...

- - - Updated - - -

He's in a strange pickle of a situation... But you know it possibly explains why they waited this late to fire Ed. Had they fired him in the fall, there would have been a real risk of exodus both by players and coaching staff. Must be heartbreaking to Eskimo lifers and will test their convictions...
    It was said this was in the works since Jan.. why wait till April? .... maybe for the reasons u speak... the timing of the move is a head scratcher .... puts us in a bad place.. and that's on len

vCash

Just heard a rumour that Higgins might be coming back.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43 View Post
    OMFG!

Yeah...that would probably make sense in the grand scheme of this epic ****show.

#FireRhodes
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

That's a strange one. He was tossed out by the league. I guess that was the Cohon regime.

vCash

Say it ain't so.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Not heard that at all..

Dear god that's gotta be a joke..

vCash

Jesus H Christ...
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Its not like Ned would have been pushing the buttons behind the scene
    But I can see how this would appease Maas.

vCash

Jesus H Christ...
    Has turned down the position.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    OMFG!

Yeah...that would probably make sense in the grand scheme of this epic ****show.

#FireRhodes
    if thats the ****ing case.. my families 42+ year seat seasons are done...

vCash

Its not like Ned would have been pushing the buttons behind the scene
    But I can see how this would appease Maas.
    I don't. I think Maas will have no problem speaking his mind tomorrow when he meets with Ketchup Boy. What's going to happen, he gets fired? I bet the ol' crossbow got a good workout last night...
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I don't. I think Maas will have no problem speaking his mind tomorrow when he meets with Ketchup Boy. What's going to happen, he gets fired? I bet the ol' crossbow got a good workout last night...
    I don't think Rhodes wants him gone but it will be made very clear to him that if he wants a long run with the organization he will fall into line.
    If I was Maas. I'd smile and say Yes sir to everything Rhodes says, keep my nose clean and ride him out. People like Rhodes end up being exposed sooner or later. Just have to be patient and control your emotions and words.

vCash

Yeah, not renewing my seasons.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Asked Tom a while back if he'd come back and he seriously doubted it at the time. Still had a bad taste in his mouth about how he was let go. Maybe that's changed? I'd take him as a GM over Barker.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Higgins was the seed that sprouted into the 10 year drought, lets not forget that.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Higgins was the seed that sprouted into the 10 year drought, lets not forget that.

Was fired in Montreal for humiliating and throwing a future HOF under the bus. From his time in Montreal I found Higgins to be shallow, not particularly hard working or innovative.

vCash

Was fired in Montreal for humiliating and throwing a future HOF under the bus. From his time in Montreal I found Higgins to be shallow, not particularly hard working or innovative.
    So you are saying he's the opposite of Ed Hervey?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Maas is not the type of guy do be pushed around and told how to run his football team when it comes to things he perceives as distractions.

Ed Hervey has probably had many conversations with Maas about more access into the locker room and they made a joint decision together for it not to happen. If Len Rhodes tells him he HAS to do something, I guarantee you Maas will not back down.

This could get even more ugly. I'm expecting it too.