Thread: Canadian Football League - Always One Step Behind

vCash
    Blog Entries

Article Canadian Football League - Always One Step Behind

Canadian Football League - Always One Step Behind

As of June 30, 2017, the Canadian Football League will once again be without a Commissioner. In Jeffrey Orridge’s two years in the commissioner’s office the CFL attempted to move deeper into the digital fan engagement landscape. It was a well intended, yet half hearted attempt to lure younger fans into the CFL and one that had moderate success. Nevertheless, should it be abandoned or should the CFL double down on the marketing strategy?

Orridge put on a brave face at the last Grey Cup where the CFL on TSN drew an average of 3.6 million viewers down more than 12 per cent from the 4.1 million the previous year. Under Orridge the CFL was quick to send out a media release stating that live streaming audiences on TSN digital platforms increased by 35% compared to the previous year’s Grey Cup. Make no mistake the lower TV audience for the biggest game of the year impacted how the board of governors viewed Orridge.

TSN Bindings

One of Orridge’s first moves in 2015 was to tie the CFL at the hip to TSN and their cable centric audience until 2021. TSN makes revenue via cable or satellite subscriptions and advertising before passing on $40 million a year of that revenue to the CFL. This fan reliant revenue stream allows for the platform provider, TSN and the CFL all to take their cut. However, the model is contingent upon fans buying a subscription to TSN via a platform. It only works going forward if the platform subscriber numbers stay steady or continue to grow. However, throughout North America a new trend has emerged in cable cutting or shifting to free internet based platform delivery.

http://yegboneyard.blogspot.ca/2017/04/canadian-football-league-always-one.html
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Hervey is the right guy for G.M.

vCash

Re: Canadian Football League - Always One Step Behind

One issue is they are trying to move tech a bit too fast for what is still the core of the fans base. Old guys like me. I could see me paying some kind of subscription for CFL games if it came to that but not for strictly on line service. They need a two pronged attack here one that will appeal to younger fans and high tech fans but for each initiative in that regard they need something for the oldsters.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well when I get the job I'll make sure we tone the crazy ideas down a bit...
    Coaching Novice Football is equivalent to herding cats...

I agree that it would be nice if there was another option available. I literally only have cable so that I can watch CFL games, everything else I watch is either on Netflix, or streamed through my Android box.

I would have cut my cable years ago if it wasn't for the CFL.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I agree that it would be nice if there was another option available. I literally only have cable so that I can watch CFL games, everything else I watch is either on Netflix, or streamed through my Android box.

I would have cut my cable years ago if it wasn't for the CFL.
    x2
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    x2
    x3. I cancel my cable right after Grey Cup and renew in June ($25 package plus TSN). I've done the basic package plus Sportsnet early this year to watch some Oilers playoff hockey. I'll switch the SN to TSN in time for football in June.
    Like many others, I rely on Netflix and other streaming for most of my entertainment. A small (about the size of a pizza box) HD antenna against the fence in the back yard gets me four local channels for regional news and the like in the winter months when I am without Shaw.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” – Stephen Covey

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    x3. I cancel my cable right after Grey Cup and renew in June ($25 package plus TSN). I've done the basic package plus Sportsnet early this year to watch some Oilers playoff hockey. I'll switch the SN to TSN in time for football in June.
    Like many others, I rely on Netflix and other streaming for most of my entertainment. A small (about the size of a pizza box) HD antenna against the fence in the back yard gets me four local channels for regional news and the like in the winter months when I am without Shaw.
    X4 if i could just get TSN HD and Sportsnet HD i would be happy. I pay 160.00 a month for cable tv and internet with SHAW. I'm being gouged. I've tried paying less, but haven't figured out how. I've thought of just dropping the cable and streaming tsn hd onto the tv. I'm hesitant to do that.

Interesting to hear others peoples experiences with cable tv.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    X4 if i could just get TSN HD and Sportsnet HD i would be happy. I pay 160.00 a month for cable tv and internet with SHAW. I'm being gouged. I've tried paying less, but haven't figured out how. I've thought of just dropping the cable and streaming tsn hd onto the tv. I'm hesitant to do that.

Complain, and threaten to switch providers. I have done this with Telus and received numerous offers.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post

I was home (Edmonton) for Christmas and I helped my brother reduce the cost of his plan. We requested to speak to someone in charge of "Loyalty" because the rep couldn't offer us the same pricing as new customers. After some good discussion with the rep regarding my brother's continued long term patronage with Shaw (over 25 years) he was able to get his internet upgraded to Shaw30, keep his phone service and swap out his ancient tv package for the standard one (I think it's called "Personal TV" - or was...) for a rate of $85 per month. He was guaranteed that price locked in for two years. He lost a few channels in his TV package, but he was paying $140 bucks/month for his previous bundle (with an internet so slow he couldn't stream Netflix).
    It's worth it to make the call, speak professionally and respect the c/s person on the other end and see what the outcome is. Cable companies are losing lots of TV customers - the last thing they can afford to lose are those long term "bundle" customers who for the most part are status quo with their accounts.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 04-19-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” – Stephen Covey

vCash

Just came across a timely article on the topic of "cord-cutting".

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topst...cid=spartandhp

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I was home (Edmonton) for Christmas and I helped my brother reduce the cost of his plan. We requested to speak to someone in charge of "Loyalty" because the rep couldn't offer us the same pricing as new customers. After some good discussion with the rep regarding my brother's continued long term patronage with Shaw (over 25 years) he was able to get his internet upgraded to Shaw30, keep his phone service and swap out his ancient tv package for the standard one (I think it's called "Personal TV" - or was...) for a rate of $85 per month. He was guaranteed that price locked in for two years. He lost a few channels in his TV package, but he was paying $140 bucks/month for his previous bundle (with an internet so slow he couldn't stream Netflix).
    It's worth it to make the call, speak professionally and respect the c/s person on the other end and see what the outcome is. Cable companies are losing lots of TV customers - the last thing they can afford to lose are those long term "bundle" customers who for the most part are status quo with their accounts.
    Yeah, the 2 year new subscriber rates are pretty good. If I got the new subscriber rate for my current package it would be 90.00 a month rather than 160.00. It just crazy how expensive these bundles are. Paying 1920.00 a year for internet and cable tv is ridiculous.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner