Thread: We are running the rock!!!

vCash

Attention We are running the rock!!!

The numbers do confirm we are running the ball more than last year. Through 3 games in 2016, we had 59 attempts for 225. In 2017, so far 69 carries for 298. Our average is 0.5 yard better.
    We are on pace to rush the ball 414 times, which is 50 times more than last year (and the weather is still warm, when you'd expect teams to chuck it more often).

Couple of takeaways;
    1. Carson Walch calling the plays vs. Jason Maas.
    -> I checked the game when he called the plays, we rushed 29 times for 173 yards in a big win. Playing with a lead etc skews the attempts I realize, but we still rushed 9 times more than our season average.

2. Trying to keep the number of 2 and outs down/ keeping our D on the sidelines.
    3. Keeping Reilly upright and healthy.
    4. Building a reliance on a phase of the game proven to be successful in the playoffs.

Hope we see this trend continue, I will update the thread periodically to watch it.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Re: We are running the rock!!!

I loved watching the Esks finish the game against Montreal, with the lead, on their last drive. The offense just ran the ball until the clock read 0:00. Nothing the Als could do.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    I loved watching the Esks finish the game against Montreal, with the lead, on their last drive. The offense just ran the ball until the clock read 0:00. Nothing the Als could do.
    That's what offences are supposed to do when they have the lead late in the 4th quarter. Good to see it though, yes, as sometimes recently we've seen some weird playcaling in the last minute of games we have led in.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

The great part was that we could do it and primarily with Van as the ball carrier. Reilly only had one carry, I believe the only designed QB run of the game, in the drive.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    The great part was that we could do it and primarily with Van as the ball carrier. Reilly only had one carry, I believe the only designed QB run of the game, in the drive.
    Where he should've slid feet first god damnit!
    FIRE RHODES!

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    The numbers do confirm we are running the ball more than last year. Through 3 games in 2016, we had 59 attempts for 225. In 2017, so far 69 carries for 298. Our average is 0.5 yard better.
    We are on pace to rush the ball 414 times, which is 50 times more than last year (and the weather is still warm, when you'd expect teams to chuck it more often).

Couple of takeaways;
    1. Carson Walch calling the plays vs. Jason Maas.
    -> I checked the game when he called the plays, we rushed 29 times for 173 yards in a big win. Playing with a lead etc skews the attempts I realize, but we still rushed 9 times more than our season average.

2. Trying to keep the number of 2 and outs down/ keeping our D on the sidelines.
    3. Keeping Reilly upright and healthy.
    4. Building a reliance on a phase of the game proven to be successful in the playoffs.

Hope we see this trend continue, I will update the thread periodically to watch it.
    I don't think it's a Carson Walch vs. Jason Maas thing as last year we really hit a turning point the week that White was injured and Bell came in and tore it up. That was the point IMO that our offence went from being pretty good to downright deadly because Blanco came back and started to look like his old self again for the first time in almost 2 years and became so successful that we HAD to keep feeding him the rock. That philosophy carried us to a 5-1 record down the stretch and I am really pleased to see it continue over to this year in early going.

vCash

Glad they are running ball.... Right now the Offense to me is spotty at best. When this offense finally fires on all cylinders - its gunna be fun to watch..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Glad they are running ball.... Right now the Offense to me is spotty at best. When this offense finally fires on all cylinders - its gunna be fun to watch..
    I'm enjoying the wins and the defence so far. You mean THERE'S MORE?
    For rent.

vCash

I do feel we are a bit more balanced but it should be noted that we played from behind a fair bit early last season so that likely plays into the numbers a bit.

I will say...I have been fairly impressed with our running game and Van has shown me more than I thought he had in him. I feel alright moving forward with him as our primary back.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on