Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Maas Speaks After game

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    absolutely right, hope this gets to Maas somehow
    Agreed. However, I'm not so sure it needs to be in the second half. If the challenge stands a good chance to get us a Touchdown, or take away a touchdown from the opposition, I'm fine with it even in the first half. The one on Friday, would have improved the odds at a touchdown, but still needed another big play or two for it to happen and time on the clock was getting short, so it may have been worth saving for the Parker fumble in the last minute.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,617
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Have to agree with you...Tim Prinson pretty much mirrored your thoughts on the CHED post game show... minus the Kent Austin comparison...actually when he lost it on the sidelines with the headset the only thing I could really compare it to was some of the antics from Kent Austin and years ago when Vic Rapp as the HC of the Lions lost it against the Esks when he accused them of running up the score.
    You could also see Mike Gibson glaring at Maas, but couldn't tell if he was saying something to him as well.....

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    I've thought about this for a couple days now, and more and more I'm questioning Maas. Frankly, we've listed off the reasons that the officiating blew in this game, and I agree we got robbed in many ways. But looking around the rest of the league, the conversation is Maas and his tantrum(s) as opposed to why he was mad. He needs to get a grip on himself. I think he has done a good job coaching the team motivationally and tactically, but in game and post game tantrums tend to deflect from the issues with the league and point it at him instead.

    His actions allow the team to think that the problem wasn't their execution, but bias. His actions make the team think it is okay to lose your cool in game leading to penalties. His actions take away from any personal accountability which creates an environment for others to do the same.

    I feel we still have good coach in there, but he needs to pull it together and find other ways challenge the league when mistakes happen than the approach he has taken. He needs to lead by example, which you could say he is doing right now, but unfortunately he's leading them down the wrong path.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On Twitter @BoydoEsks17
    Posts
    6,684
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    The team has every reason to think it wasn't execution but bias....because it was. When you're doing everything you're supposed to and get called on a penalty...you take it personally. When you see the other team pulling sh!t like hitting out of bounds, helmet to helmet hits with no call, punching guys while they're down after the whistle, horse collars...it's hard to tell them to just keep playing clean and the better team will prevail. Bullsh!t... Sure Maas could tone it down a bit, even some of the players say that...but the room also knows that their coach is going to stand behind them and they know that he's not going to lay down, bite a pillow and take it. It's not like the crappy penalties weren't hitting us before the JM blow up.
    I don't mind getting thrown under the bus as long as I get a honk honk from you so I know it's coming...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    The team has every reason to think it wasn't execution but bias....because it was. When you're doing everything you're supposed to and get called on a penalty...you take it personally. When you see the other team pulling sh!t like hitting out of bounds, helmet to helmet hits with no call, punching guys while they're down after the whistle, horse collars...it's hard to tell them to just keep playing clean and the better team will prevail. Bullsh!t... Sure Maas could tone it down a bit, even some of the players say that...but the room also knows that their coach is going to stand behind them and they know that he's not going to lay down, bite a pillow and take it. It's not like the crappy penalties weren't hitting us before the JM blow up.
    You've got a good point in there as Maas having their back is definitely the positive out of this. But I also think as players they can't let themselves blame the game on bias, because they can't change bias, but they can change execution.

    Despite the crap calls, they still could have won this.

    • They got the touchdown when Reilly was pulled, but a non-factor player on the play went offside.
    • Most of the calls against the Eskimos were legitimate (PI excluded) and some of them selfish in nature.
    • They created a fumble late, but again someone was offside.
    • The defense got two interceptions in the fourth quarter, but the offense went 2 and out on one of them and threw their own interception on the second one, thus completely letting Calgary off the hook for their mistakes.


    The biggest thing I was trying to hit home on though was that his actions paint the public perception as whining rather than drawing attention to the bullcrap that Calgary got away with.

    I think his post-game comments in absence of the meltdown on the field probably could have achieved the same effect of standing up for his team, while giving more opportunity for people to look at the issues with the officiating in the game instead of sloughing them off as whining. When you put it all together, and then add his comments on the coaches show yesterday, it's putting the attention in the wrong spot.

    I loved listening to it as a fan who's feeling the same things, but I can see how the other teams are looking at it.

    If this was Austin, we'd all be laughing at his latest rant because of his reputation, Maas is at risk of getting the same reputation.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    5,979
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    I also seem to recall Maas throwing a cooler one time and never doing it again. People make mistakes, its learning and growing from them that takes you from good to great, guess we'll see which way he is going to go.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I also seem to recall Maas throwing a cooler one time and never doing it again. People make mistakes, its learning and growing from them that takes you from good to great, guess we'll see which way he is going to go.
    Agreed. I fully think we got a good coach that players will play hard for, just needs to make a few tweaks here and there with his composure.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,423
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    49

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Despite the crap calls, they still could have won this.

    • They got the touchdown when Reilly was pulled, but a non-factor player on the play went offside.
    • Most of the calls against the Eskimos were legitimate (PI excluded) and some of them selfish in nature.
    • They created a fumble late, but again someone was offside.
    • The defense got two interceptions in the fourth quarter, but the offense went 2 and out on one of them and threw their own interception on the second one, thus completely letting Calgary off the hook for their mistakes.
    This is a good point. I think the difference is that all the missed/wrong calls got into the Esks' heads. It must have felt like they were battling two teams. They weren't able to put that behind them it cost them.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,423
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    49

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Here's my problem with the "horsecollar" calls.

    A player reaches out and happens to grab ahold of the collar. At that point they have two options:

    1. Let go
    2. Yank as hard as they can

    For either situation, the refs see it as a penalty. There is no credit for recognizing the situation and correcting it before causing harm.

    So why would you ever go for option 1?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    This is a good point. I think the difference is that all the missed/wrong calls got into the Esks' heads. It must have felt like they were battling two teams. They weren't able to put that behind them it cost them.
    Guaranteed they felt like that. That's where the leadership (which usually starts at the coach) needs to keep their cool and show that they still got it and that they can beat both teams. Reilly usually helps with this as he always seems composed, even when mad.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On Twitter @BoydoEsks17
    Posts
    6,684
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I also seem to recall Maas throwing a cooler one time and never doing it again. People make mistakes, its learning and growing from them that takes you from good to great, guess we'll see which way he is going to go.
    Yeah but that was when he was still a player and Dwayne gave him crap for that...
    I don't mind getting thrown under the bus as long as I get a honk honk from you so I know it's coming...

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    5,979
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Yeah but that was when he was still a player and Dwayne gave him crap for that...
    and I'm sure he got the same thing from Dwayne this time
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,777
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    You've got a good point in there as Maas having their back is definitely the positive out of this. But I also think as players they can't let themselves blame the game on bias, because they can't change bias, but they can change execution.

    Despite the crap calls, they still could have won this.

    • They got the touchdown when Reilly was pulled, but a non-factor player on the play went offside.
    • Most of the calls against the Eskimos were legitimate (PI excluded) and some of them selfish in nature.
    • They created a fumble late, but again someone was offside.
    • The defense got two interceptions in the fourth quarter, but the offense went 2 and out on one of them and threw their own interception on the second one, thus completely letting Calgary off the hook for their mistakes.


    The biggest thing I was trying to hit home on though was that his actions paint the public perception as whining rather than drawing attention to the bullcrap that Calgary got away with.

    I think his post-game comments in absence of the meltdown on the field probably could have achieved the same effect of standing up for his team, while giving more opportunity for people to look at the issues with the officiating in the game instead of sloughing them off as whining. When you put it all together, and then add his comments on the coaches show yesterday, it's putting the attention in the wrong spot.

    I loved listening to it as a fan who's feeling the same things, but I can see how the other teams are looking at it.

    If this was Austin, we'd all be laughing at his latest rant because of his reputation, Maas is at risk of getting the same reputation.
    100% agree...I personally think there is no positive spin that anyone can place on the meltdown...the only way I can look at it is a personal tantrum which doesn't serve anyone least of all Maas or the Eskimos.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  14. #44

    Re: Maas Speaks After game

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I also seem to recall Maas throwing a cooler one time and never doing it again. People make mistakes, its learning and growing from them that takes you from good to great, guess we'll see which way he is going to go.
    I was sitting in the same seat watching him flip the Gatorade table back in 2009 as I was on Saturday watching him whip that headset

    I wasn't really bothered by it, I know how hard the guy works and how badly he cares about this team so to sit there and have to watch our chance at 1st place slip away due in part to things that were completely beyond his control must have been infuriating.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •