Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maas Speaks After game

vCash

Tell Maas Speaks After game

Via 3down nation
    Esks coach Jason Mass goes off in post-game scrum

Posted on September 10, 2017 by 3Down Staff // 21 Comments

Edmonton Eskimos head coach Jason Mass was emotional after Saturdayís loss to the Calgary Stampeders. In his scrum with reporters after the game, he questioned the officiating, the CFLís concussion protocol, the competency of the command centre, explained his lack of discipline on the sidelines and feels the timing on the 44-man roster rule should be changed.

Q: Did you get an explanation as to what the spotter saw to take [quarterback] Mike [Reilly] out at that crucial time in the red zone?

Maas: ďI donít know what he saw. In the year in a half that Iíve coached Mike, Iíve seen him take tons of hits. We have an award here, he gets something every year which is called the toughest in the league award. Toughest in the league. And he takes one hit and a guy thinks heís got a concussion. He takes him out in the red zone? I mean, what our league is about, is about protecting our players, Iím grateful for that. But, you know, it is what it is. They decide to take him out, our doctors, right when he came off the field knew he was fine but yet he had to be out for three plays. Thatís the rules and we had to abide by them.Ē

Q: Do you have a return date at all for Sean Whyte?

Maas: ďI think heís going to be back soon. Weíll see about him kicking this week and see if heís capable of it. But as soon as he can get back in his form, heíll be back in the line up.Ē

Q: Going back to that Reilly hit, do you think that if the spotter takes him out of the game that there should have been a flag?

Mass: ďI would suppose if he got hit, a hit that could cause you to go out of the game Ė so Iím assuming your head got rung, and usually when youíre head gets rung, as usually when youíre head gets rung, itís a hit to the headÖ I didnít really see the play to be quite honest with you. But again, I just think, I guess our league is about safety. But our player doesnít stay on the ground, he gets back up and heís in the red zone and somebody in Toronto wants to make the assumption that heís hurt and our doctors, as soon as he walks off the field look at him and know Mike Reilly better than anybody knows him and can do all the things in a play or two, why does he have to be out three plays? That would be my question. If heís not the one staying down and a spotter is telling him to go out but thatís our league rule right now and Iím not questioning it, Iím not Ė I love the CFL. I donít want to get fined for anything Iím about to say. But at the same time, there are some times when circumstances come up in games when you can start questioning things that are being done in our league.

ďIf our quarterback can not wobble off the field but he can jog off the field, run off the field, go see a doctor and in a split second they tell him, ask him all the ten questions they need to ask him and he should be back sooner than three plays, why does he have to stay out three plays. That would be my question. That was someone elseís judgment and it happened to be in a critical moment of the game for us, in the red zone area and so obviously I donít agree with it because I know Mike Reilly and I watch him get up after every single hit because, again, heís the toughest quarterback in our league. There ainít no doubt about that. So to take him out of the play like that when heís not wobbly and heís not staying on the ground, itĒs a judgment call by somebody and, in my opinion, it wasnít the right call. But somebody made it.Ē

Q: This game is a rivalry for a reason. Is it tough to preach discipline when itís easy to lose?

Maas: ďDiscipline is discipline. They know the difference between right and wrong. Again, do our players know not to throat slash or do anything objectionable? Yes, they do. Sometimes, your emotions get the best of you. Right now we are not good enough in that department.Ē

Q: We saw a penalty for the bench too, for the coach tonight.

Maas: ďOh yeah, yeah, yeah, you did see that. And I have one challenge flag to use and obviously you could tell by my displeasure of throwing my headset down that I wasnít very pleased with what I assumed was an obvious call. I went into this two game series with a 72 per cent in all my challenges and I lost both challenges against Calgary, somehow, some way. So, that one looked pretty obvious to me, I donít know how in any league you can go and grab a guyís arms twice in a play Ė not hand fight Ė but actually grab a guyís arms before he goes up and thatís okay. Thatís not called DPI? Again, can I not question what other people make judgments on? I assume I can. And I assume thatís what youíre asking me the questions for so that you guys can hear my opinion on it. Again, I donít want to get fiend for it, and I love the CFL, but if I canít question somebodyís judgment at times than I donít now. I just donít agree with the call and thatís why you saw what I did. I got he 15-yard penalty for it, it was at the end of the half so did it matter? No.Ē

Q: Speaking of player safety Jason, the rule with Mercy Maston, because he got injured after you declared the 44-man roster

Maas: ďYou man the 44-man roster where we have two guys that we pay that donít get to play, unless itís one hour before the game that you decide you want to put him in. 59 minutes you couldnít play him, so we have a player that goes down, ruptures his Achilles, heís out for the season, we have a DB thatís ready, could be, I wonít say that there was, but if there was a DB, a defensive back, a boundary corner, and it was 59 minutes went by, we couldnít have played with him. Again, do I think the rules need to be looked at in certain circumstances like that? Absolutely. Weíre not trying to trick anybody, I think Calgary wouldíve had enough time when that happened, which it was about 35 minutes, but even so the rule is one hour. So if it was 59 minutes and 58 seconds we would not have been allowed to do that. And I donít know that thatís right. Iím just questioning something that I think needs to be brought up and looked at because in all fairness we have two guys that we paid that sat on the sidelines all night and we were one man down at 59 minutes and 58 seconds to go before we went and stepped on the field. That gives Calgary plenty of time I believe to make the adjustments when we put a different guy on. And I mean youíre already paying him. I think that it at least needs to be questioned and looked at because Iíve wondered about it for a long time now but Iíve never seen a guy get injured like that, in a warm-up, and I would suppose that youíd want to be able to field a full roster to start a game, if you have guys that are on your reserve, sitting there ready to go. Weíre not trying to screw the other team, even if I did it with one minute to go and he got hurt, you still have 25 minutes in your room to adjust to it. Thatís what football is about is adjustments. When guys get hurt at halftime we go in and adjust in 15 minutes. So youíre telling me you got two guys on the reserve that they know and itís one minute. Even one minute, you couldnít make that adjustment? I think it just needs to be looked at by the league, Iím not saying anything, I donít think itís bad, I get it, it was put in there for one hour and thatís the rule and you canít do anything about it. So I just think it needs to be looked at, if anything.Ē

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Maas Speaks After game

"No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

ooo yes... yes I would...

vCash

I'm sure there are many strong opinions on this, but I'm just gonna say my two cents.

I'm a big, big Jason Maas fan, but he acted like a child last night. I don't care if the refs screwed him or not, he reminded me too much of Kent Austin and his antics - and I loathe Kent Austin. There is a right way and a wrong way to deal with crap - Maas needs to figure that out - it's in the best interests of this football team. Yes, continue to wear your heart on your sleeve and be passionate, but don't set this level of behaviour as "acceptable" to your players. It will trickle down. It will be his undoing in the long run. I want Jason here for a long time as our head coach, but he's gotta start growing when it comes to his composure on the sidelines.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

The 2 healthy scratches were Hunt & someone else who isn't a DB. It would have meant he would've had to pluck someone off the IR (Adams?) to replace Maston & that could open up a whole new can of worms....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'm sure there are many strong opinions on this, but I'm just gonna say my two cents.

I'm a big, big Jason Maas fan, but he acted like a child last night. I don't care if the refs screwed him or not, he reminded me too much of Kent Austin and his antics - and I loathe Kent Austin. There is a right way and a wrong way to deal with crap - Maas needs to figure that out - it's in the best interests of this football team. Yes, continue to wear your heart on your sleeve and be passionate, but don't set this level of behaviour as "acceptable" to your players. It will trickle down. It will be his undoing in the long run. I want Jason here for a long time as our head coach, but he's gotta start growing when it comes to his composure on the sidelines.
    Agreed, but I'm recalling that this is the first time that he's gone ballistic like this on the sidelines & hopefully the last time!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    The 2 healthy scratches were Hunt & someone else who isn't a DB. It would have meant he would've had to pluck someone off the IR (Adams?) to replace Maston & that could open up a whole new can of worms....
    Second scratch was Bryant Mitchell

vCash

Second scratch was Bryant Mitchell
    He'd probably be a better DB than that useless player we have there named Marcell Young!

vCash

My opinion -- and it's opinion only --

1. I think Ed buffered a lot for Jason especially with him being a rookie head coach, similar to how he buffered a lot for CJ but in a different way and with different aspects.

2. Ed also strongly believed in stepping back ie. he was not a voice in his coaches' ears like ET, for example.

Not convinced that's happening now. Jason seems stressed out.

vCash

Watching the presser you could sense the frustration and anger in his eyes! There was ALOT he wanted to say but couldn't say without getting fined or suspended. Regrettably I doubt little will happen as others have pointed out..... we are a marked team by both the league and TSN. And you can rest assured Esks management don't have the balls to do/say ANYTHING about it.

Perhaps it's best to channel that energy positively into kicking the **** out of every team we face and not give flying fu&# what the league/refs think about us!

B.O.N.E.
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

I am a big Maas fan as well and I am glad that he is angry, he should be angry.

Reilly should be angry, Willis should be angry, Bowman should be angry. Hell, with the way things are going they should all be angry. With the exception of Young of course - He should just be ashamed. I mean, what the hell did he do with all the money that his parents gave him to attend football camps as a kid??

I said yesterday that the team needed to come out and play like they were desperate, and for the most part I was happy with the effort. We cannot help the fact that the officials are incompetent, and the fact is that some of the guys that we have been forced to use simply are not that talented.

All of that said, I agree that Maas has to a better job of how he channels his anger. Last night's display just came off as childish IMO.
    Last edited by widowmaker; 09-10-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

So you suggest nothing should be said? That saying something makes him a baby?

Sorry, I feel this is all about accountability. We now live in a society that doesn't believe in accountability. Nothing gets fixed if people sit on their hands and keep their mouths shut.

I pay good money to follow the Eskimos, there should be some regulatory body making sure the product on the field is protected from the failures that we witness week-in and week-out.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post

Reilly should be angry, Willis should be angry, Bowman should be angry. Hell, with the way things are going they should all be angry. With the exception of Young of course - He should just be ashamed. I mean, what the hell did he do with all the money that his parents gave him to attend football camps as a kid??

I said yesterday that the team needed to come out and play like they were desperate, and for the most part I was happy with the effort. We cannot help the fact that the officials are incompetent, and the fact is that some of the guys that we have been forced to use simply are not that talented.

All of that said, I agree that Maas has to a better job of how he channels his anger. Last night's display just came off as childish IMO.
    That was not incompetence, incompetentce should have effected both sides, that was the league sticking it to Maas and the Eskimos. And as paying fans who bleed the teams colours all we can do is sit here and take it. It's sickening.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    So you suggest nothing should be said? That saying something makes him a baby?
    I'm fine with people standing up for what they believe in, but not when it makes them look ridiculous.
    Acting the way he did was an embarrassment. He looked like a little child throwing a tantrum. I expect more from a middle aged man in charge of running a professional football team, especially my football team.

vCash

I'm fine with people standing up for what they believe in, but not when it makes them look ridiculous.
    Acting the way he did was an embarrassment. He looked like a little child throwing a tantrum. I expect more from a middle aged man in charge of running a professional football team, especially my football team.
    I have to agree here. Make up a package showing the obvious errors, send them to the new Commish and focus on the next game. There seemed to be some improvements in the play of the team and work on the improvements necessary to get the next W.
    For rent.

vCash

I just watched it, I hadn't watched it until now. I was expecting to see someone throwing a tantrum. All I saw was an angry coach saying some very sensible things.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    I just watched it, I hadn't watched it until now. I was expecting to see someone throwing a tantrum. All I saw was an angry coach saying some very sensible things.
    Watch the game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    I have to agree here. Make up a package showing the obvious errors, send them to the new Commish and focus on the next game. There seemed to be some improvements in the play of the team and work on the improvements necessary to get the next W.
    I think anything behind closed doors gets glossed over. The CFL is not accountable for their errors unless it is out in the public. The same is true for any organization.

Last year Proulx cost us a game versus Ottawa. The gates were up, the play was whistled in, Ottawa was out of time-outs. Yet when Campbell changed his mind to put his FG team on the field to try an extra long FG, it was permitted. The clock should have ran out, at the very least Ottawa should have been penalized for delay of game, which would have been a loss of down and put them out of FG range.

Nothing every resulted from that botched call. It cost us a western playoff position.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch the game.
    Yes, throwing the head-set was wrong. I didn't see it because I was at the game. Although this thread was about the post game interview.
    Last edited by Nanookster; 09-10-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

News flash. Jason Maas on 6 game injury list with a dislocated shoulder from throwing headphones. You heard it here first.
    For rent.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    News flash. Jason Maas on 6 game injury list with a dislocated shoulder from throwing headphones. You heard it here first.
    I kinda expect to see his arm in a sling next game. Looks like he lost a little velocity too. I do think hugo makes good points in that you should expect more control from your coach even though we were getting the shaft. You can't expect the players to control themselves if their coach acts like that.

vCash

Regarding how the Esks should've handled it (behind the scenes or publicly)let's not forget mic gate.

The Esks tried the behind the scenes route saying they weren't comfortable with it because of their hurry up offense. CFL basically said tough titties.

So then the Esks showed up the league in a very public way. When do the mic games start this year?

vCash

IIRC, it was dough-boy Milo that kicked that 55-yard EE to allow Ottawa to tie that game.....

vCash

Mass has to not let his emotions get the best of him. He is prone to calling challenges when he gets pissed off about obvious officiating screw-ups. There was only time for one play after the brutal non-call. Why risk a challenge to get a field goal when there is a whole half a game for the officials to screw up?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Mass has to not let his emotions get the best of him. He is prone to calling challenges when he gets pissed off about obvious officiating screw-ups. There was only time for one play after the brutal non-call. Why risk a challenge to get a field goal when there is a whole half a game for the officials to screw up?
    Maas has a great football mind, the problem is that he is prone to losing it when things don't go his way. On the sidelines he lacks the discipline and professional demeanor of a HC and it is no surprise that two Esks got undisciplined after the whistle penalties, one for taking off his helmet and throwing it to the turf and another for a throat slash gesture.
    Long time Lions fan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post

I actually agree with this. I love Jason Maas and I don't mind him being jacked before and after the game, but if you are freaking out during the game, your players will do the same and you'll continue to see 100+ yards against per game in penalties.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I actually agree with this. I love Jason Maas and I don't mind him being jacked before and after the game, but if you are freaking out during the game, your players will do the same and you'll continue to see 100+ yards against per game in penalties.
    He does need to tone it down. I am sure there is a little f#$k-you from the officials on calls if you are riding their a$$es all game. Just don't get like Kent Austin before he stepped down and look like you have given up completely.

vCash

I officiate locally in another sport. There is nothing more annoying than a coach who has something to say on every play or whistle. After a while, it just becomes noise and they get tuned out.

Coaches need to choose the hills they are prepared to die on. That way, when there is something of significance, you can get the officials attention. Working the officials for the next call on a continual basis tends to work against you.

That said, in a CFL game, it is a challenge to be restrained given the sheer volume of missed calls, wrong calls and flags that had little or no impact on the play. One would like to think it is the same for both teams over the course of a game. We all know in the NHL after 3 penalties on one team who is getting the next one ...

vCash

Rightly or Wrongly, the Esks need to accept the fact that for whatever reason, the officials in the league simply don't like them. So anytime a call is on the iffy side, it likely goes against them. Is it fair, no, but it is just a fact and one that they can't control. So control the things that you can control, mainly take advantage of opportunities. Build a cushion on the scoreboard so when those iffy calls go against you, you can survive them.

Also, if I was Jason Maas, I would never, ever use a challenge in the first half and maybe not even in the 3rd quarter no matter how blatantly missed a call is. You only get one, so that challenge is precious. When you burn it early, you allow the officials to screw you latter when it might really matter. Imagine if JM still had that challenge at the end of the 4th to use on that "down by contact" call on our own 5 yard line.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash
    Blog Entries

It's a sad state of affairs when the coach even says he wants to say more but doesn't want to get fined or something...
    I don't mind getting thrown under the bus as long as I get a honk honk from you so I know it's coming...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Rightly or Wrongly, the Esks need to accept the fact that for whatever reason, the officials in the league simply don't like them. So anytime a call is on the iffy side, it likely goes against them. Is it fair, no, but it is just a fact and one that they can't control. So control the things that you can control, mainly take advantage of opportunities. Build a cushion on the scoreboard so when those iffy calls go against you, you can survive them.

Also, if I was Jason Maas, I would never, ever use a challenge in the first half and maybe not even in the 3rd quarter no matter how blatantly missed a call is. You only get one, so that challenge is precious. When you burn it early, you allow the officials to screw you latter when it might really matter. Imagine if JM still had that challenge at the end of the 4th to use on that "down by contact" call on our own 5 yard line.
    absolutely right, hope this gets to Maas somehow
    "If you want peace, prepare for war.Ē Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash
    Blog Entries

Have to agree with you...Tim Prinson pretty much mirrored your thoughts on the CHED post game show... minus the Kent Austin comparison...actually when he lost it on the sidelines with the headset the only thing I could really compare it to was some of the antics from Kent Austin and years ago when Vic Rapp as the HC of the Lions lost it against the Esks when he accused them of running up the score.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner