Thread: Flamers moving!

vCash

Flame Flamers moving!

‪The new team will be named the Seattle Metropolitans, Seattle won the Cup in 1917. Yeah, they have as many (little) Cups as Calgary!‬

Look at the bright side Flamer fans, you now have a great team to cheer for with a great history, Go Oilers Go!
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Re: Flamers moving!

I gots a feeling a Naheed just got himself elected out of office over the Flames and Stamps!

vCash

Well...maybe this isn't quite a done deal just yet.

That's rough for them...if it happens, I'll really miss the battle of Alberta. The battle of Seattle sounds nice, but won't have the same edge to it.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

It's not a done deal. It's all election posturing. Ken king is about to align himself with candidates who support growth in this area. Their current city council must be completely blind as to what is happening in Edmonton's downtown.

vCash

Calgary's downtown doesn't need this as much as Edmonton's downtown did.

vCash

Just another edition of the arena con game.

vCash

it wont happen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    it wont happen.
    Election tactic from Nenshi. They're not going anywhere.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Election tactic from Nenshi. They're not going anywhere.
    I wouldn't bet money either way. No new building has = bye bye for many a pro sports team in the past.

Quebec Nordiques
    Hartford Whalers
    Winnipeg Jets
    San Diego Chargers
    Oakland Raiders (multiple times)
    LA Rams
    St. Louis Rams
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Houston Oilers
    Seattle Supersonics

I could go on...

If the Flames don't get a new building the odds are that they WILL move. And since the group that owns the Flames also owns the Stampeders, and uses them (and the Roughnecks) as a ticket driver for the Flames, that would spell bad news on multiple fronts.

I wonder if the citizens of Calgary will be okay with the taxpayer putting up half the cost 5 years after they no longer have a team.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

If you use the word "adult" as a verb it is a very good indication that you are, in fact, not an adult.

vCash

I don't pretend to be as informed as I was with the Edmonton situation but Nenshi said it himself that he recognizes that the City needs a new building and they will build one at some point. Well if you know that, figure it out and build the damn thing. What's even more puzzling to me is Calgary was seriously kicking tires on putting in an Olympic bid. So you were willing to spend BILLIONS for the Olympics in which its debatable IF you would use some of the facilities you build after the games are done ever again but you can't find a way to build a new rink that you would use probably what 200 times a year? The amount of concerts that Edmonton has hosted over Calgary this past year alone is INSANE. All the big acts are doing multiple concerts in Edmonton because Calgary's rink sucks. To me it's a no brainer.
    In Hervey we trust.

vCash

Like usual, these things take time and will face setbacks before progress occurs. I think Flames were being a little naive thinking that their's would be a slam dunk because Edmonton got theirs. The situations are completely different.

Edmonton's was about downtown revitalization. Calgary's is already downtown.
    Edmonton needed some extra capacity. Calgary has that capacity.
    Edmonton's building was built in the 70s, Calgary's the 80s.
    The discussion for Edmonton was during a boom. Calgary's coming during one of the provinces lowest financial periods.

That said Calgary has a horrible football building that they have to do something about and the design of the Saddledome is poor for hosting bigger acts. As such, they need to look at something more creative. Something will come together, I'm sure, but it's going to take time to find the solution. In the meantime, Calgary needs to accept that Edmonton may get a little more attention for the next few years from the bigger acts, but guaranteed once their building(s) are done, Calgary will be a gigantic pull for big events and they'll likely be stealing from Edmonton then, much like they dominated the entertainment scene through the 90s and most of the 00s. It's just a cycle.

vCash

This is nothing but a negotiation tactic. Every team vying for public dollars to build a new facility uses this same tactic at some point in the negotiations. Flamers won't make near the amount of money they do currently in Seattle, and thus will not be moving there. This is just King's attempt to wash Nenshi out of office and increase his chances of getting a better deal. It might just work given that your average voter typically isn't that intelligent (see Trump, Donald).
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Like usual, these things take time and will face setbacks before progress occurs. I think Flames were being a little naive thinking that their's would be a slam dunk because Edmonton got theirs. The situations are completely different.

Edmonton's was about downtown revitalization. Calgary's is already downtown.
    Edmonton needed some extra capacity. Calgary has that capacity.
    Edmonton's building was built in the 70s, Calgary's the 80s.
    The discussion for Edmonton was during a boom. Calgary's coming during one of the provinces lowest financial periods.

That said Calgary has a horrible football building that they have to do something about and the design of the Saddledome is poor for hosting bigger acts. As such, they need to look at something more creative. Something will come together, I'm sure, but it's going to take time to find the solution. In the meantime, Calgary needs to accept that Edmonton may get a little more attention for the next few years from the bigger acts, but guaranteed once their building(s) are done, Calgary will be a gigantic pull for big events and they'll likely be stealing from Edmonton then, much like they dominated the entertainment scene through the 90s and most of the 00s. It's just a cycle.
    The Saddledome is a dump. Way worse than Northlands was. But with the same power issues.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

If you use the word "adult" as a verb it is a very good indication that you are, in fact, not an adult.

vCash

Everyone's all wrong. When Calgary wants something it happens just like that. Bam! Their new arena will start getting built two years ago and will be finished on time and on budget!

That is how Calgary rolls.

vCash

0 pct chance a top 10 revenue team moves to Seattle.

Won't happen.

Good on Nenshi for calling bull****. The Flames "offer" made Darryl Katz look generous.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

Eventually it will get figured out. Nenshi himself said the City needs a new rink. Unlike Edmonton who had Mendel that had some vision and kept the rink alive because he knew the downtown NEEDED it. Calgary is a bit different in that while the City recognizes it needs a new rink because its current one is getting close to its life cycle, it doesn't need it for the downtown. So they can take their time a bit and pick and choose a spot they like. Probably the biggest issue is right now the relationship between the team and City is a bit toxic with the 2 heads - the mayor and King - not liking each other so they have 2 guys in a pissing contest. At the end of the day, the Flames won't be moving because there isn't a market out there where they can do any better financially. The only potential future market that might rival what the Flames have now is if a market opened up in Southern Ontario. Other than that, it won't get any better than in Calgary.

When it comes to Seattle. If the NHL was smart, they should be moving a team like Carolina, Arizona or Florida, the failing, draw squat, non existent fan base teams to a place like Seattle to help stabilize a franchise rather than continue to prop up a team that will never be a success and be a constant money pit. In the long run, it would probably help the leagues overall bottom line. BUT the owners are greedy. The expansion fee for Vegas was what 500 mill? In a few years it probably goes up. So they will want that expansion fee so they can split it up and get an immediate lump of money. I bit short term thinking in my opinion but it is what it is.

IMO, the league should be moving Arizona to Seattle so you don't change the balance of teams in each conference, you aren't even juggling divisions. They should be moving Carolina who is currently for sale to Quebec City because they are sitting there waiting for a team and you wouldn't change the balance in the conference. Then they should tell the Leafs to shove it, get a franchise in Southern Ontario because they know damn well it would do well and move Florida.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    In Hervey we trust.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post

IMO, the league should be moving Arizona to Seattle so you don't change the balance of teams in each conference, you aren't even juggling divisions.
    That would make the most sense.
    “Hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are" - Markéta Irglová

vCash

Everything the Flames have done in this negotiation has been bush league. From calling Bettman in...to that sad grade 3 paper mache project they unveiled as their big CalgaryNext plan. Coming off a pretty ****ty economic climate...Nenshi is doing exactly what he should. There is already pretty good backlash to this in Calgary and it's gonna pretty much guarantee Naheed is back in...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Nenshi/City has counter punched releasing their proposal to the Flames. Makes the Flames look stupid for walking away (although the graphic is biased).

Last edited by Uncle Bobby; 09-15-2017 at 12:06 PM.

vCash

IMO, the league should be moving Arizona to Seattle so you don't change the balance of teams in each conference, you aren't even juggling divisions.
    The problem is that would take Bettman admitting that he was wrong, which will never happen. In fact, he is so dense, he doubled down by putting a second team in the desert that will be destined to fail once the "golden" shine wears off. When Seattle gets a team, it will be an expansion franchise because (a) the expansion money is too rich for owners to pass up, they don't get that kind of income from a franchise re-locating, and (b) 16 teams in the east, 15 in the west, it isn't balanced, they want one more in the west. Quebec will get a team re-locating from the east.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Boggles my mind how much these barns cost...
    I don't mind getting thrown under the bus as long as I get a honk honk from you so I know it's coming...

vCash

It will cost more to demolish the Saddledome than it cost to BUILD Commonwealth.

(OK, there's inflation in there, but this sounded better )
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    The problem is that would take Bettman admitting that he was wrong, which will never happen. In fact, he is so dense, he doubled down by putting a second team in the desert that will be destined to fail once the "golden" shine wears off. When Seattle gets a team, it will be an expansion franchise because (a) the expansion money is too rich for owners to pass up, they don't get that kind of income from a franchise re-locating, and (b) 16 teams in the east, 15 in the west, it isn't balanced, they want one more in the west. Quebec will get a team re-locating from the east.
    I don't necessarily think it means Bettman is admitting he was wrong. I think he is big time all about looking good. So in saying that. They are on what, their 3rd ownership group at least. The league has helped the team find owners every time. When there was a time no one wanted them, instead of folding them like they should have, the league "bought" the team for a bit. They have propped up the team for years with significant money. So I would think he could go up there and say without lying that the league did everything they could. They have been in Arizona since 1996. It would be one thing if they picked a market with a low population but the Phoenix area is massive, I don't know the exact number. So in theory after 21 yrs, with that many people, you would think you could cultivate some kind of a fan base to survive because you are drawing from such a large number. But sometimes things just don't work out.
    In Hervey we trust.

vCash

Or, as they say in Latin, excrement occurs.
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

vCash

Best tweet ever, lol

“Hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are" - Markéta Irglová

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Best tweet ever, lol

I kind of liked Northlands' offer to donate the Coliseum to replace the Saddledome.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

I don't necessarily think it means Bettman is admitting he was wrong. I think he is big time all about looking good. So in saying that. They are on what, their 3rd ownership group at least. The league has helped the team find owners every time. When there was a time no one wanted them, instead of folding them like they should have, the league "bought" the team for a bit. They have propped up the team for years with significant money. So I would think he could go up there and say without lying that the league did everything they could. They have been in Arizona since 1996. It would be one thing if they picked a market with a low population but the Phoenix area is massive, I don't know the exact number. So in theory after 21 yrs, with that many people, you would think you could cultivate some kind of a fan base to survive because you are drawing from such a large number. But sometimes things just don't work out.
    Biggest issue in Phoenix is the location of the Arena way up in Glendale. Build one elsewhere in the East Valley & things will be different.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Biggest issue in Phoenix is the location of the Arena way up in Glendale. Build one elsewhere in the East Valley & things will be different.....
    But what government in its right mind (or investor) would take that gamble with how poor attendance has been for the Coyotes and the fact that the team has never been a serious contender makes it tough. Unless they could convert their basketball arena to host hockey games for a reasonable price, they will never come out of it. Eventually the arena will be old, they'll threaten relocation and move. Unfortunately it's the eighth newest building in the league though so they'll suffer in the desert for another decade or so before a solution comes along.

vCash

With the amount of money municipalities are asked to contribute to the venues, there is only one solution:

Municipalities should own the team!

All the revenue will go back to the cities. If the team isn't making money, time for them to move.