Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Grey Cup 2018!

vCash

Re: Grey Cup 2018!

One thing I didn't like for the Grey Cup. Man the PA announcer who was announcing who made the catches, tackles, etc was bad. Where did he come from?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    One thing I didn't like for the Grey Cup. Man the PA announcer who was announcing who made the catches, tackles, etc was bad. Where did he come from?
    I've heard that from a lot of out of towners - saying that he was badly mispronouncing player names as well.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I've heard that from a lot of out of towners - saying that he was badly mispronouncing player names as well.
    That and he was really boring. This monotone, zero expressive voice. Sounded like the voice you hear in a bus or a transit car announcing stops.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

3downnation reporting that the ratings for the grey cup were down 23 % from last season.

Not surprised in the least, you could practically hear the groan across Canada when it was confirmed to be Calgary vs Ottawa.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The voice didn't sound familiar but some of his calls made me wonder if he had the same spotter as the BC Place announcer has. One 1st and 10 play in particular, I think with Ottawa on O, the Redblacks picked up 5 yards. He announced there was no gain and it was now 2nd and 5.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    1. Tegan and Sara are mid-sabbatical.
    2. Alessia Cara is more current from the perspective of mainstream commercial success.
    3. As much as the CFL talks ‘diversity is strength’ and ‘you can play’ .... they prefer not to have that overshadow the game itself. Judging by a lot of the talk I heard out & about the last few days.... “they not ready” ... it’s what happens when the average fan age is over 50. No diss, just truth.
    Grey Cup halftime acts typically have just released a new album and want the appearance to promote it and any tour they might be in the middle of or about to start.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    And of course nobody complains about the Superbowl halftime show not being an American. It [B]IS[B] the World Championship after all...

Imagine Dragons sucked... Enjoyed Gordon Lightfoot more and that isn't saying much. Could care less if they're Canadian or not, I'm not there for the halftime show so not a really huge deal...I'm there for the football! As long as there's beer and earplugs I'm good to go.
    I was an old fart of 57 when Imagine Dragons played in 2014. I didn't know much about them at the time so checked some YouTube clips and quickly decided that was a halftime act I had to be in my seat to see. I was not at all disappointed. Like others in this thread I rank them #1 followed by Lenny Kravitz at #2 out of the 36 Grey Cup halftime shows I've seen live. When I saw Lightfoot at GC100 the thing that came immediately to mind was Bernie from "Weekend at Bernie's". I wasn't sure if he was really alive or just propped up on a chair with a guitar strung over his shoulder while they pumped a couple of his songs through the sound system.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 11-26-2018 at 11:05 PM.

vCash

He was brutal... even more monotone than a ETS announcer.
    I understand being impartial with no bias but yeah...

You could pick out he knew nothing about football.

Probably had to know French too...so that limits you I guess?

Brescasin wasn't 'bress cah sin'' but he went ''bress case in''
    Bothered me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I was an old fart of 57 when Imagine Dragons played in 2014. I didn't know much about them at the time so checked some YouTube clips and quickly decided that was a halftime act I had to be in my seat to see. I was not at all disappointed. Like others in this thread I rank them #1 followed by Lenny Kravitz at #2 out of the 36 Grey Cup halftime shows I've seen live. When I saw Lightfoot at GC100 the thing that came immediately to mind was Bernie from "Weekend at Bernie's". I wasn't sure if he was really alive or just propped up on a chair with a guitar strung over his shoulder while they pumped a couple of his songs through the sound system.
    One does not make fun of Gordon Lightfoot. His Canadian Railroad Trilogy should be our national anthem.
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash

I worry about Hammer24 getting struck by a bolt of lighting after that post.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 11-27-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: struck not stuck

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I worry about Hammer24 getting stuck by a bolt of lighting after that post.

vCash

I worry about Hammer24 getting stuck by a bolt of lighting after that post.
    I betting that the ghost of Gord Downie will put him in a headlock and ghost of Stompin' Tom will put the boots to him.

vCash

Music Re: Grey Cup 2018!

If you saw Tegan and Sara and the opening ceremonies of the Women's World Cup in 2015, you wouldn't be suggesting that. They were not good.
    Hmmmm. Here's my review of a Tegan and Sara concert at Massey Hall in January 2010:

Tegan and Sara @ Massey Hall

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    Hmmmm. Here's my review of a Tegan and Sara concert at Massey Hall in January 2010:

Tegan and Sara @ Massey Hall

Small venue (well... smaller) - very different from a 50k seat stadium. Very Different...

PS... they were alright... eight years ago.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-27-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I betting that the ghost of Gord Downie will put him in a headlock and ghost of Stompin' Tom will put the boots to him.
    Apparently I hit some nerves. Sorry but that was the impression Lightfoot left me with at GC100 which is the only time I've ever seen him perform in person. For the record I do like his tune "Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald" but would have to look up his discography to recall his other notables. That's not a knock. I'm just lousy when it comes to music trivia. I can often pick up the band/singer or the title but struggle to identify both. As for Tom he had that Hockey Song one. Never Seen him perform nor had any interest.

Now Gord Downie he's in another league. Love The Hip. Saw them as the halftime act in Ottawa in 2004. Saw them here in Prince George. I also feel blessed to have been fortunate enough to see Downie in his final concert tour over at Northlands in summer of 2017. An incredible performance.
    An emotional and moving performance. I still get gose bumps thinking about that concert and how great Downie was in his performance there.

vCash

It's not my nerves that the lightning is going to strike but it is "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald".

vCash

It's not my nerves that the lightning is going to strike but it is "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald".
    Thanks! I have no problems being corrected. Like I said I can usually recognize the artist or the song title but not both. It's why I suck at muisic trivia.

vCash

Met with my physicisn yesterday, here in Ottawa.
    The topic wandered from my appointment to football.
    He was really annoyed by the Grey Cup results.
    Why was the field frozen? It is 2018 after all.
    Couldn’t tarps have been used. Couldn’t warm air be pumped under the tarps?
    Etc.
    We all have the same dissapointments and questions.

vCash

Thanks! I have no problems being corrected. Like I said I can usually recognize the artist or the song title but not both. It's why I suck at muisic trivia.
    There was a certain amount of tongue in cheek in my original post. Corey Hart coming to Moncton next year and I've misplaced my sunglasses.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    There was a certain amount of tongue in cheek in my original post. Corey Hart coming to Moncton next year and I've misplaced my sunglasses.
    Yeah, but the sun has now risen, so it's OK.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Yeah, but the sun has now risen, so it's OK.
    According to Gordon Lightfoot, it’s Sundown.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Actually, according to Gord, it's the early morning rain...

...so we definitely don't need those sunglasses.

I could keep this up all day.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Actually, according to Gord, it's the early morning rain...

...so we definitely don't need those sunglasses.

I could keep this up all day.
    That's not what your significant other would say.

vCash

Apparently I hit some nerves. Sorry but that was the impression Lightfoot left me with at GC100 which is the only time I've ever seen him perform in person. For the record I do like his tune "Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald" but would have to look up his discography to recall his other notables. That's not a knock. I'm just lousy when it comes to music trivia. I can often pick up the band/singer or the title but struggle to identify both. As for Tom he had that Hockey Song one. Never Seen him perform nor had any interest.

Now Gord Downie he's in another league. Love The Hip. Saw them as the halftime act in Ottawa in 2004. Saw them here in Prince George. I also feel blessed to have been fortunate enough to see Downie in his final concert tour over at Northlands in summer of 2017. An incredible performance.
    An emotional and moving performance. I still get gose bumps thinking about that concert and how great Downie was in his performance there.
    I'm also a big fan of The Tragically Hip and have seen them several times as well. I saw them at The Lakeview Manor in Kingston, The Renford Inn on Whyte, Dinwoodie Lounge at the U of A, Hall D at the Agricom, Clarke Stadium and of course the Northlands Coliseum.

Gordon Lightfoot is a songwriter of great notoriety. One of his early songs "Early Morning Rain" was recorded by the likes of: Peter, Paul and Mary, Eva Cassidy, Paul Weller (of the English Mod group 'The Jam') Richard Hawley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Ian & Sylvia, Judy Collins, Elvis Presley and others. Ribbon of Darkness was a number one hit on the U.S. Country Charts. Another song of his "If you Could Read My Mind" was recorded by Glenn Campbell, Johnny Cash and others. No one sounded better singing these songs than Gordon Lightfoot.

It is true that Gordon Lightfoot does not have the quality of voice now that he is 80 than he did in his prime, really not even close but the man is a living legend.

I'm pretty sure that the great Gord Downie would never have uttered a disparaging word about the trailblazing music pioneer that is Gordon Lightfoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Met with my physicisn yesterday, here in Ottawa.
    The topic wandered from my appointment to football.
    He was really annoyed by the Grey Cup results.
    Why was the field frozen? It is 2018 after all.
    Couldn’t tarps have been used. Couldn’t warm air be pumped under the tarps?
    Etc.
    We all have the same dissapointments and questions.

Maybe if Ottawa's receivers caught more balls than they dropped no one in Ottawa would be whining about ice on the field. That game was theirs for the taking with a little execution.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    That's not what your significant other would say.
    Sorry, I've been away from my computer for the past four hours. What were you saying?