Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Grey Cup 2018!

vCash

Re: Grey Cup 2018!

Congrats to all the Calgary Stampeders for a great effort.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Soakity soak soak soak.

vCash

RHodes wants a legacy. This is his legacy

vCash

I guess the winning quarterback is just the default MVP.

vCash

Admittedly I didn't watch the game especially closely, but if there really isn't a player who stood out dramatically, that's who it's always going to go to.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Congrats Calgary. You won. On to next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    I renewed my season seats, but i didn't buy the Grey Cup tickets. It has nothing to do with me not believing in the Esks making it to the big game. IMO the ticket prices for the Esks are getting to be too high. If Esks make it to the Grey Cup i'll try and find tickets or watch it at home, or at a bar. I'm fine with that. People are not made of money. At least i'm not.
    Lucky you, I even got soaked buying the Spirit of Edmonton Breakfast tickets, $300 smackers.

That was the most boring Grey Cup game in history, it was dull.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Lucky you, I even got soaked buying the Spirit of Edmonton Breakfast tickets, $300 smackers.

That was the most boring Grey Cup game in history, it was dull.
    Best part was halftime show normally I don't like none of that new music but it was ok.
    Sat next to BLM's family, nice people, cute kid.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

One of the worst Eskimo football years ever. The organization is starting to really resemble the oilers.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I might be a bit biased here but on the punt return TD I thought # 46 for Calgary got away with a push from behind on a RedBlack that was very close to the returner.
    Because he did, I thought Calgary got away with a lot in this game. I think the league actually felt bad for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Never heard of her, and not in her demographic to say the least. But I enjoyed it too
    I didnít know the name but I knew every song. I thought it was the best thing in the Grey Cup.

The game itself was dull.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    Seems that the organizers never bothered to tarp or heat the field these last three weeks.They were too busy making sure the concession stands were fully stocked with beer I guess....

Winning isnít everything, nor is the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Esks out of playoffs
    And Calgary wins Cup at Commonwealth
    What a fugly Season ....

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats to Calgary
    Helluva team
    Superb manager and excellent coach
    Some super players
    Helluva team? I thought they were dull. The game wasnít exciting at all. Ottawa mistakes cost them the Championship.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Best part was halftime show normally I don't like none of that new music but it was ok.
    Sat next to BLM's family, nice people, cute kid.
    I thought she was great, I didn’t know who see was but knew all her songs.

I liked the opening act too, which was the second best part of the game.

I guess my first love being Aviation and being retired air force I should say my mates in the Snowbirds jets were good too.

The game wasn’t exciting at all, the crowd was quiet, you could sure tell they weren’t football fans. They didn’t know when to make noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One of the worst Eskimo football years ever. The organization is starting to really resemble the oilers.

Totally agree, I felt totally let down by the organization. The most I have ever felt neglected by the Eskimo organization.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

That Putz Trudeau missed the Cup, was he afraid of being around 50K plus Albertans.

First PM in awhile to miss a Cup. Must be an Alberta thing.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Anyone else at the game feel like there was very little energy in the stadium? Just wasn’t much of an appetite for this matchup and the game ended up being very dull, especially the 2nd half. So many dumb mistakes by Ottawa left them with pretty much no chance. Terry Williams was the mvp, not Mitchell imo.

Liked the halftime show, loved the fly by. Forgettable season ends with a forgettable game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Anyone else at the game feel like there was very little energy in the stadium? Just wasn’t much of an appetite for this matchup and the game ended up being very dull, especially the 2nd half. So many dumb mistakes by Ottawa left them with pretty much no chance. Terry Williams was the mvp, not Mitchell imo.

Liked the halftime show, loved the fly by. Forgettable season ends with a forgettable game.
    Yes...very little energy. Was disappointed. Weather was great considering November, I expect that to ramp up the fan energy. If its freezing I understand being subdued.

I usually never care for half time show etc...but that girl has got a great voice and is underrated. Not really my type of music, but I can see talent, and shes got it. Not a fake either.

All those turnovers made the game less enjoyable too...just wasn't competitive...

vCash

One more comment on the Rose non-suspension, pending his appeal:
    If he’s not in the league next season & the appeal is upheld, could he still be fined for his actions? And if so, wouldn’t it be prudent for the CFL to withhold his game cheque until that appeal is heard?
    Last edited by writfiler; 11-26-2018 at 09:11 AM.

vCash

Wasn’t a classic was it...

vCash

As much as I have an affection for the City of Ottawa, considering the state of affairs in this country I am pretty much okay with an Alberta team beating a team from Lib-Land.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Good things:
    Half-time show Alessia Cara is a talent
    Snowbirds
    Decent November weather
    Fan Fest downtown was excellent
    Music during the game was pretty good. Must not have been the usual EEFC production.

Bad things:
    The game - boring as hell
    The opening act - they are awful and unlikable
    Lack of activities around the stadium on game day.

One question.....any announcement on who won the 50/50? What happens if the 50/50 isn't claimed?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

Bo Levi's offence generated 14 points on their own. Williams won the game on one play.

vCash

I'd say the game was dictated by the field. Crappy field = crappy game.

It was there for the taking for Ottawa. They just kept messing up.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Only thing that could have made this Grey Cup worse would be if the Esks made the Crossover and then lost the game to Calgary while having to be in the visitor's dressing room in their own barn. (Since it was in the West, the Eastern team would be the visitors after all...) That would have sucked!!! Bad enough we have to listen to Stumps fans blathering about dynasties and crap for how many years to come...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Weird/interesting thing I noticed. The last 8 Grey Cups have been won by the "home" team wearing dark jerseys.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    At beginning of show, aerial view showed Clarke next to Commonwealth.
    Kinda a huge difference.
    Went to Clarke with my Dad. Seemed big when I was kid.
    The last configuration of stands that the Eskimos used at Clarke Stadium are 'long gone'. The new ones you see are what has been put in place for junior football and Edmonton FC soccer.

vCash

One thing I noticed at the Grey Cup that NEVER happens at an Esks game that I really liked. The video clip package to start the game with music. There was the whole sequence of a combination of clips from movies to highlights of big hits, catches, plays, etc from the season or historical. Actual things that might get a crowd excited for the upcoming kick off.

At Esks games. They do the anthem, do the coin toss, then there is the couple of minutes to get everyone set up for the kickoff. What happens in this couple of minutes before the kickoff at an Esks game? We as Esks fans get to watch commercials. Tim Horton's, Brick, Safeway, Sobey's, Telus, some back cracker, some travel company, fishermans friend, etc, etc. Then the ball is put down ready to kick off and we as fans are expected to just flip the excitement switch from zero to 100 after we have been lulled to sleep with a barrage of commercials of what we should buy.

What a novel idea to actually use that giant awesome screen to try to create an atmosphere of excitement and entertainment to a sporting event so a person might actually enjoy themselves and want to come back rather than try to manipulate the paying customer to go spend more money.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    One thing I noticed at the Grey Cup that NEVER happens at an Esks game that I really liked. The video clip package to start the game with music. There was the whole sequence of a combination of clips from movies to highlights of big hits, catches, plays, etc from the season or historical. Actual things that might get a crowd excited for the upcoming kick off.

At Esks games. They do the anthem, do the coin toss, then there is the couple of minutes to get everyone set up for the kickoff. What happens in this couple of minutes before the kickoff at an Esks game? We as Esks fans get to watch commercials. Tim Horton's, Brick, Safeway, Sobey's, Telus, some back cracker, some travel company, fishermans friend, etc, etc. Then the ball is put down ready to kick off and we as fans are expected to just flip the excitement switch from zero to 100 after we have been lulled to sleep with a barrage of commercials of what we should buy.

What a novel idea to actually use that giant awesome screen to try to create an atmosphere of excitement and entertainment to a sporting event so a person might actually enjoy themselves and want to come back rather than try to manipulate the paying customer to go spend more money.
    Such foolishness!!!
    Increase DJ Jello's budget instead!!! He knows what the people want to hear!
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

The music they were playing before the Reklaws came out was absolute garbage...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    The music they were playing before the Reklaws came out was absolute garbage...
    It was awful. Agreed. At some point I made a comment that they've been paying the same techno song for 40 minutes.

Having said that, the in-game music was pretty good. AC/DC, the Stones, Kiss. NEVER hear that at an Esks game.

vCash

Pains me to say but congrats to the Stampeders. They were the best team this season and deserved that win yesterday. And much as I would like them to fall off a cliff without BLM...that team is built on the strength of their defense and I doubt you see a big drop off next season no matter who is at QB. I will be interested to see what happens if Claybrooks leaves...as it seems is a legit possibility.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash
    Blog Entries

Claybrooks didn't sound like he was going anywhere over the weekend. He likes it in Calgary and has a strong relationship with the organization. He does want to go to a HC position but he also doesn't want to be the guy that gets the rep as someone who is always looking for something else. (cough...Jones...)

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Yes...very little energy. Was disappointed. Weather was great considering November, I expect that to ramp up the fan energy. If its freezing I understand being subdued.

I usually never care for half time show etc...but that girl has got a great voice and is underrated. Not really my type of music, but I can see talent, and shes got it. Not a fake either.

All those turnovers made the game less enjoyable too...just wasn't competitive...
    Despite the fact that I'm not into pop music at all, you are right that she is very talented and has a great voice, and I thought she put on an amazing show, I would disagree with you that she is underrated though, she is extremely popular among the Top 40 radio music types.