Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: RIP Sears

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    11,269
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    144

    Unfunny RIP Sears

    All remaining stores to close over next 10 to 14 weeks. 12,000 employees lose their jobs, 3/4 were part-time. Who's next?
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    9,134
    vCash
    7548
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: RIP Sears

    Where will I go to buy my "husky" jeans?

    Seriously though - very sad to see such a huge part of Canada's retail legacy go - very much like when Eaton's disappeared. Too many lost jobs...

    edit: How many retail chains do you remember that are gone?
    Woolco
    Woolworths
    Macleods
    Boot's Drug Stores
    Consumers Distributing
    K-Mart
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 10-10-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,018
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    117

    Re: RIP Sears

    SAAN Store.
    FIRE RHODES!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,200
    vCash
    850
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: RIP Sears

    Was Zellers Canadian?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    9,134
    vCash
    7548
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Was Zellers Canadian?
    Yup... always remember the Big Z burgers from their restaurants...yum!!!
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,095
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: RIP Sears

    Eaton’s was another big loss

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    111

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Where will I go to buy my "husky" jeans?

    Seriously though - very sad to see such a huge part of Canada's retail legacy go - very much like when Eaton's disappeared. Too many lost jobs...

    edit: How many retail chains do you remember that are gone?
    Woolco
    Woolworths
    Macleods
    Boot's Drug Stores
    Consumers Distributing
    K-Mart
    You knew you were a hip town when there was a Macleods store. Everything from toothpicks to firearms. Macleods, Stedman's , Gambles iirc correctly they had some kind of association. Beaver Lumber was another chain that was must to go to when in town.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    9,134
    vCash
    7548
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    You knew you were a hip town when there was a Macleods store. Everything from toothpicks to firearms. Macleods, Stedman's , Gambles iirc correctly they had some kind of association. Beaver Lumber was another chain that was must to go to when in town.
    Way back in the day, Bonnie Doon was the place to go for Christmas toy shopping. With a Sears, Woolworths, Macleods, AND a Tops n Toys, it was an awesome shopping experience when I was a little kid.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    111

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Way back in the day, Bonnie Doon was the place to go for Christmas toy shopping. With a Sears, Woolworths, Macleods, AND a Tops n Toys, it was an awesome shopping experience when I was a little kid.
    Those were the days. CBC radio had a Xmas show about 5 PM a couple of weeks before the big event. A must listen. We wrote letters to Santa asking for every toy in the Eaton's catalogue. Usually ended up with a hockey stick, a roll of tape, a new puck, and a couple of pair of socks. One Xmas, Dad brought us all outside, we figured maybe a pony or dog was out there. It was a new 3 Ton grain truck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    11,269
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: RIP Sears

    Stop it you guys. I'm getting older by the minute. My mother worked for Sears at Bonnie Doon for about 25 years.
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    111

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Stop it you guys. I'm getting older by the minute. My mother worked for Sears at Bonnie Doon for about 25 years.
    Another senior moment, piz. My Mom worked for a short time in our local town at a grocery store called The Red and White Store. All the packages were tied with red and white string. Sawdust all over the floor in the meat dept.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    24,438
    vCash
    624
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Where will I go to buy my "husky" jeans?

    Seriously though - very sad to see such a huge part of Canada's retail legacy go - very much like when Eaton's disappeared. Too many lost jobs...

    edit: How many retail chains do you remember that are gone?
    Woolco
    Woolworths
    Macleods
    Boot's Drug Stores
    Consumers Distributing
    K-Mart
    Woodward's
    Zeller's (The Bay's discount dept. store)
    Target

    Once Sears is gone there won't be a mid-level department store left in Canada. Only The Bay, which is considerably more upscale.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

    If you use the word "adult" as a verb it is a very good indication that you are, in fact, not an adult.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,200
    vCash
    850
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: RIP Sears

    And now Chili's is closing down shop in Canada too, except at the Edmonton and Calgary airports.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,357
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Woodward's
    Zeller's (The Bay's discount dept. store)
    Target

    Once Sears is gone there won't be a mid-level department store left in Canada. Only The Bay, which is considerably more upscale.
    Well there's Wal-Mart i guess. With profits flowing to Arkansas and the Walton family. IMO it shows the neoliberal project to hollow out the middle class of the Western nations for the benefit of the 1% has really worked.

    Zellers was underrated store. They always price matched and took off 10% i believe. I liked Zellers. It was Canadian. Zellers parking lot at Meadowlark mall was a ghost town and yet the week they bring in Wal-Mart the parking lot becomes full overnight. I don't get it. I really don't.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    11,269
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: RIP Sears

    I also enjoyed shopping at Zellers.
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,119
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: RIP Sears

    Yes, Zellers, Zellers. Undoubtedly founded by famed British comic genius and post WWII "Goon Show" member, Peter Zellers ….

    Returning from shopping trip:

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    43,892
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    101

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Way back in the day, Bonnie Doon was the place to go for Christmas toy shopping. With a Sears, Woolworths, Macleods, AND a Tops n Toys, it was an awesome shopping experience when I was a little kid.
    with grandma lee's for sandwiches and Ernies Steak Pit for everything else

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    11,269
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    with grandma lee's for sandwiches and Ernies Steak Pit for everything else
    I don't remember having a steak pit.
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    5,452
    vCash
    800
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: RIP Sears

    As a 90's kid, the only major losses I remember were Canadian Airlines and the Discovery Zone at Mayfield Common.

    That and Kites and Other Delights at West Edmonton Mall. Nothing was as beautiful as those rare times when I had their Thomas Wooden Railway demo set all to myself.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    11,269
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Yes, Zellers, Zellers. Undoubtedly founded by famed British comic genius and post WWII "Goon Show" member, Peter Zellers ….

    Returning from shopping trip:
    You didn't quite spike this post but I'll give you a mulligan to try again.
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    24,438
    vCash
    624
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    Well there's Wal-Mart i guess. With profits flowing to Arkansas and the Walton family. IMO it shows the neoliberal project to hollow out the middle class of the Western nations for the benefit of the 1% has really worked.

    Zellers was underrated store. They always price matched and took off 10% i believe. I liked Zellers. It was Canadian. Zellers parking lot at Meadowlark mall was a ghost town and yet the week they bring in Wal-Mart the parking lot becomes full overnight. I don't get it. I really don't.
    Wal-Mart and Zeller's are/were discount department stores. The reason Wal-Mart's parking lot is full and Zeller's' wasn't is because Zeller's was poorly run. The stores were always filthy, half the items didn't have proper pricing, and the stores were disorganized.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

    If you use the word "adult" as a verb it is a very good indication that you are, in fact, not an adult.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,095
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Wal-Mart and Zeller's are/were discount department stores. The reason Wal-Mart's parking lot is full and Zeller's' wasn't is because Zeller's was poorly run. The stores were always filthy, half the items didn't have proper pricing, and the stores were disorganized.
    This! And when Target opened with their empty shelves and mistagged items, I thought hmmm, looks like I’m in a cleaner Zellers.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,357
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Wal-Mart and Zeller's are/were discount department stores. The reason Wal-Mart's parking lot is full and Zeller's' wasn't is because Zeller's was poorly run. The stores were always filthy, half the items didn't have proper pricing, and the stores were disorganized.
    Well I don't know what Zellers you guys went to. The Zellers at West Edmonton Mall and Meadowlark were fine. Sometime the sporting goods section was haphazardly arranged, but the way I feel is its a discount store. I'm there for cheap goods not for a luxurious shopping experience. There were good deals to be had at Zellers. I bought a 450 bike for half price because I told them it was open box even though it technically wasn't. I like Canadian Tire too.
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,018
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    117

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    This! And when Target opened with their empty shelves and mistagged items, I thought hmmm, looks like I’m in a cleaner Zellers.
    And we all know how that went for Target! Bring back the Zellers filth!
    FIRE RHODES!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    11,269
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    And we all know how that went for Target! Bring back the Zellers filth!
    ^^^THIS!!!
    CBC Radio show Q host Tom Power interviewing Lewis Black:
    Tom: do you think Trump is good for comedy?
    Lewis: no, that's like saying a stroke is good for a nap.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,444
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    I don't remember having a steak pit.
    I think that was Harvey's Steak Pit, as in Weinstein.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    12,935
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: RIP Sears

    I grew up with the Zellers at Millwoods Town Centre...Always a great place to go check out if the new VHS hockey tapes...

    And yes that restaurant was my favourite place to eat.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Capital Region
    Posts
    3,334
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Stop it you guys. I'm getting older by the minute. My mother worked for Sears at Bonnie Doon for about 25 years.
    I hear you. My parents both had strong Bonnie Doon connections at Johnstone Walker (remember that?). My dad was the store manager when the mall opened and my mom worked there throughout the 70's. I also vaguely remember the mall not having a roof when I was a little kid. As for the old Sears store in Bonnie Doon, I have tons of fond memories including isolating an older but smaller kid who had been bullying me with his buddies when I was in Grade 7. He approached me in the watch dept. where I cuffed him on the head, grabbed him, sat him on the watch counter and told him that I'd get him again if anybody ever bothered me from then on. Could it have been your mom working there who I saw smiling and pretending nothing was going on?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,119
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: RIP Sears

    Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    You didn't quite spike this post but I'll give you a mulligan to try again.
    Never mind. I have been judged by my peers and found wanting.

    https://assets.pando.com/uploads/2013/09/apple.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •