Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Team Award Winners

vCash

New 2017 Team Award Winners

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/01/cfl-an...award-winners/

I know voters don't like to choose Eskimo players, but you have to figure Reilly should be a favorite for MOP.

And Calgary nominates an American for Most Valuable Canadian.

vCash

Re: 2017 Team Award Winners

If he doesn't it is a bit of a farce. Reilly is first in the league for yards, and QUAR, and 1000 yards more than the only other quarterback. Carter isn't even the best receiver in the league and you could argue Reilly has a more suitable candidate at the same position on his own team. Singleton, good season, but Elimimiam had better numbers in the same role and voters have two other awards they can try to give him. Elimimian is always a good candidate but his team is last place, and seldomly is the MOP on the last place team.

If Singleton gets it, it is an absolute farce as Calgary got their nominee 7 of the last 9 years, and it didn't matter the year they played second fiddle to the Esks.
    Last edited by bone; 11-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post

I know voters don't like to choose Eskimo players, but you have to figure Reilly should be a favorite for MOP.

I don't know...I have a very low confidence level in the voters getting it right...I mean they gave the award last year to a QB with inferior individual passing statistics to Reilly based on the fact that he had a superior win/loss record which last time I checked was a team statistic...seriously though would Ricky Ray get some votes?
    Last edited by adb; 11-02-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I don't know...I have a very low confidence level in the voters getting it right...I mean they gave the award last year to a QB with inferior individual passing statistics to Reilly based on the fact that he had a superior win/loss record which last time I checked was a team statistic...seriously though would Ricky Ray get some votes?
    Ray is the likely guy from the East. I could see him beating Reilly. The difference in stats likley comes down to his one missed game, and he's a sentimental vote as shoe-in Hall of Famer that hasn't won it yet. But if it's anyone but Reilly repping the West, the voters need to sent away never to vote again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Ray is the likely guy from the East. I could see him beating Reilly. The difference in stats likley comes down to his one missed game, and he's a sentimental vote as shoe-in Hall of Famer that hasn't won it yet. But if it's anyone but Reilly repping the West, the voters need to sent away never to vote again.

Stats wise, Ray missed 1 game. But in reality he missed 1.5 by gettin taken out midway through the game against Calgary. Toronto's one game without Ray, and they got pummelled by Montreal. MONTREAL! Shows how important Ray is to that group.
    On the other hand, Toronto has a pretty bad record against the West. So maybe Ray was just picking on the weaker competiton.
    Reilly has beaten BC thrice, and Calgary once. Otherwsie lost a couple games to Winnipeg and Calgary, and one to Saskatchewan.

vCash

Now way MR doesn't win it this year. Especially with the injuries that occurred during the season and yet the team rode on his back. I think he has opened some eyes who knew he was talented and tough but he truly has put the team on his back this season...

Question: How is Singleton considered an international? I never realized he was American born and played college in the States.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Now way MR doesn't win it this year. Especially with the injuries that occurred during the season and yet the team rode on his back. I think he has opened some eyes who knew he was talented and tough but he truly has put the team on his back this season...

Question: How is Singleton considered an international? I never realized he was American born and played college in the States.
    Ever noticed that he looks a bit like a skinnier version of Jack Black when he has a beard?

Alex Singleton, I mean.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Ever noticed that he looks a bit like a skinnier version of Jack Black when he has a beard?

Alex Singleton, I mean.
    Younger brother look-a-like for sure!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post

He is considered a National due to some loophole which recognizes his mom's Canadian citizenship. I doubt he had ever stepped foot in the country prior to the CFL. It will feel very disingenuous if he wins the Most Outstanding Canadian awaard.

vCash

He’s going to get it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    He is considered a National due to some loophole which recognizes his mom's Canadian citizenship. I doubt he had ever stepped foot in the country prior to the CFL. It will feel very disingenuous if he wins the Most Outstanding Canadian awaard.
    x2
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

Agreed, but if the rules allow for him to be considered national, and he's the best of the players that are considered national he probably deserves it. He was drafted as a national, takes the roster spot of a national so he should be evaluated as a national. Blame the rules that make him national rather than the voters on this one.

vCash

If Reilly doesn't get the West nom for MOP, Maas should throw the challenge flag.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If Reilly doesn't get the West nom for MOP, Maas should throw the challenge flag.
    And his headset!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    And his headset!
    And McDIARMID!
    2015 EsksFans CFL Pool Winner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Why bother? He won't win a challenge anyways
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

He definitely deserves it if he is eligible for it. That is kind of making a mockery of the national system though allowing him to be considered that though, no?

vCash

Congrats to Reilly and Ray being nominated for MOP.

It's a shame Ray has never won it, and will probably win it this year as a "make-up call" for his career, instead of Reilly who deserves it more for this actual season.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Congrats to Reilly and Ray being nominated for MOP.

It's a shame Ray has never won it, and will probably win it this year as a "make-up call" for his career, instead of Reilly who deserves it more for this actual season.
    If that's the case then that'll be the second year in a row where the QB winning the MOP will have inferior passing statistics to Reilly (although Ricky did play one less game I believe) which would be a shame and although I would be unhappy about that I do have more of a soft spot for Ray and I guess wouldn't be as upset as I was last year...what really has me perturbed is Dickenson getting the COTY nomination out of the west with just one more win considering the job that Jason did handling all the injuries we had this year.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

If that's the case then that'll be the second year in a row where the QB winning the MOP will have inferior passing statistics to Reilly (although Ricky did play one less game I believe) which would be a shame and although I would be unhappy about that I do have more of a soft spot for Ray and I guess wouldn't be as upset as I was last year...what really has me perturbed is Dickenson getting the COTY nomination out of the west with just one more win considering the job that Jason did handling all the injuries we had this year.
    Agreed, the league and some of our own fans do not like Maas but the sheer volume of injuries faced should have had him in the running

vCash

Dicky has a worse regular season record than last year (and even then his record is inflated by a few games where the Stamps definitely should not have won) and he gets a COTY nomination??? What am I missing here?? I may not like the guy, but Jones turned a garbage squad last year into a contender this year, and Dicky gets the COTY nod over him???
    Is it game day yet?????

Totally with you. Maas finished one win behind Dickenson despite having to overcome a league high 322 man games lost to injury. The fact that he didn't get the West nominee is ludicrous.

The last time a team endured that many roster changes in a season, said team won 5 freaking games.

vCash

If Reilly does not win the award this year, they may as well name the award "Pre-Retirement Honor Award" because he is statistically superior to Ray in every measurable way and had more wins in a tougher division with more injuries to his team.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

vCash

Maas would have to go 15-1 to get coy nod... to fiery to much **** u itís about us attitude for the people who vote on these things to handle if he won.. joe public would be on em for letting a crazed coach win coy

Personally I donít have any issue with the throwing stuff or bawling into mics... only thing I didnít like was him screaming at st coach.. and i didnít have a prob with that.. just how he went about it..

Maas and the staff... especially bene.. slated him hard 2 years in a row.. ( and I still believe thorpe will become dc next year ) but he has done a solid job with our defence

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Totally with you. Maas finished one win behind Dickenson despite having to overcome a league high 322 man games lost to injury. The fact that he didn't get the West nominee is ludicrous.

The last time a team endured that many roster changes in a season, said team won 5 freaking games.
    Trestman should win it

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    If Reilly does not win the award this year, they may as well name the award "Pre-Retirement Honor Award" because he is statistically superior to Ray in every measurable way and had more wins in a tougher division with more injuries to his team.
    ^^^ This. IMO, (for what it is worth, and we are somewhat biased on here) it is a slamdunk for Reilly. Heck, even TSN panel agrees.

But, you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticker View Post
    ^^^ This. IMO, (for what it is worth, and we are somewhat biased on here) it is a slamdunk for Reilly. Heck, even TSN panel agrees.

But, you just never know.
    I think Reilly is more deserving based on this year, but he’ll have plenty more oppratunities to win it as long as Maas is still around. The fact that Ray has never won it is a complete travesty, and he’s probably running out chances.

I’d be happy either way this year.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Maas would have to go 15-1 to get coy nod... to fiery to much **** u it’s about us attitude for the people who vote on these things to handle if he won.. joe public would be on em for letting a crazed coach win coy

Personally I don’t have any issue with the throwing stuff or bawling into mics... only thing I didn’t like was him screaming at st coach.. and i didn’t have a prob with that.. just how he went about it..

Maas and the staff... especially bene.. slated him hard 2 years in a row.. ( and I still believe thorpe will become dc next year ) but he has done a solid job with our defence
    You get the feeling that if any other coach had Posted 12 wins with 322 man games lost to injury, that he’d be a lock for COTY, but since it was Maas, you don’t hear a peep about what an impressive feet that was from anyone.

It’s super disheartening... Especially knowing that we have a president who cares more about what media people think than about results on the field.

vCash

I think Reilly is more deserving based on this year, but he’ll have plenty more oppratunities to win it as long as Maas is still around. The fact that Ray has never won it is a complete travesty, and he’s probably running out chances.

I’d be happy either way this year.
    Like I said, if they pick Ray because Reilly has more chances and he hasn’t won one, they need to rename the award. The MOP is supposed to be who was the most outstanding player THIS season. It isn’t a career award. It is a travesty that Ray hasn’t won it in the past, but he isn’t the most outstanding player this season... hell he isn’t even the most outstanding QB this year. If Reilly doesn’t win it this year, I would start telling coaches he would prefer not to be nominated for the award any more because it is a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

You get the feeling that if any other coach had Posted 12 wins with 322 man games lost to injury, that he’d be a lock for COTY, but since it was Maas, you don’t hear a peep about what an impressive feet that was from anyone.

It’s super disheartening... Especially knowing that we have a president who cares more about what media people think than about results on the field.
    I think Maas sealed his fate with the “media” when he refused to cowtail to their stupid microphone bull****.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

vCash

He’s up against RR who plays in TORONTO. Reilly won’t win it.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    He’s up against RR who plays in TORONTO. Reilly won’t win it.
    Reilly leads the league in yards, TD's and rushing TD's. He lead his team to a superior record but Ray will win because he plays in T.O and the league thinks that by giving a 38 yr old QB the award that somehow people in T.O will give a crap and come to more games. They won't but that's how they think.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.