Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: 2017 West SF GDT

vCash

Re: 2017 West SF GDT

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I'll go on record also and say that was Kelly's best game as eskimo.... Our line in general was great but him and Matt on the right side were fantastic
    That line has taken a lot of flak this season. Sometimes deservedly so and sometimes they have been a scapegoat for poor performance by other players. But that group has essentially been together now for the last half of the year and they were stellar yesterday against a Dline that has historically gone to town on MR.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

My thoughts on a huge win

1. What would the score have looked like if we didn't have the dropsies? Can't see our receivers dropping as many next week as they did this.
    2. Our run stopping scares the heck out of me and it doesn't get any easier with Messam up next.
    3. The challenge for momentum stopping - if they called that all the time, Harris would have half the yards he ended up with as he always seems to push the pile.
    4. Our ground and pound game with Gable is as good as anyone's. I'll even give as a slight edge on Calgary here as Gable is a better pass catches IMO
    5. Reilly was on fire loved seeing him run down field looking to block on One of Gables TD's
    6. Oline has came together nicely, having all of our pieces in there helps a lot
    7. Gables most important attribute may not be his running but may be his pass pro skills. He destroyed Opawhateverhisnameis.
    8. Zylstra won't be around the CFL much longer, let's enjoy the last few games we're watching.
    9. Bowman is back both with the odd drop but also with his ability to get open and come down with the big play.
    10. Ladler is the MVP of our defence IMO he's always around the ball
    11. I actually watch our return game now that we have an actual threat.
    12. If Watson had missed that tackle I think Hoover was in position to make the play. Watson has made some big plays for us, great pickup
    13. Speaking of great pickup Sunderland has to be given props as the Gable and Smith adders have given us threats in an area of weakness

Can't wait for next week, as I think Calgary is going to be a tough test but is beatable.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

The last game Calgary played, Messam looked like he was playing on roller skates. Here's hoping they haven't fixed that problem.

Yeah, we may not see Z next year. At least Mitchell should have a chance to enter the lineup.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post

1. What would the score have looked like if we didn't have the dropsies? Can't see our receivers dropping as many next week as they did this.
    Adarius & Derel are usually fine in the cold. However, they both do not play well if it is raining or snowing. Yes, it’s harder for any receiver in rain or snow, but the both of them are extra-proportionately worse....so hopefully no snow next Sunday.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 11-13-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Extra words in weird spots

vCash

Rumoured that Calgary is bringing in a snowmaker for the game.
    For rent.

vCash
    Blog Entries

2. Our run stopping scares the heck out of me and it doesn't get any easier with Messam up next.
    3. The challenge for momentum stopping - if they called that all the time, Harris would have half the yards he ended up with as he always seems to push the pile.
    4. Our ground and pound game with Gable is as good as anyone's. I'll even give as a slight edge on Calgary here as Gable is a better pass catches IMO
    5. Reilly was on fire loved seeing him run down field looking to block on One of Gables TD's
    6. Oline has came together nicely, having all of our pieces in there helps a lot
    7. Gables most important attribute may not be his running but may be his pass pro skills. He destroyed Opawhateverhisnameis.
    8. Zylstra won't be around the CFL much longer, let's enjoy the last few games we're watching.
    9. Bowman is back both with the odd drop but also with his ability to get open and come down with the big play.
    12. If Watson had missed that tackle I think Hoover was in position to make the play. Watson has made some big plays for us, great pickup
    13. Speaking of great pickup Sunderland has to be given props as the Gable and Smith adders have given us threats in an area of weakness

Can't wait for next week, as I think Calgary is going to be a tough test but is beatable.
    I know it's way too early but I've been wondering about this upcoming off season and whether or not we should go hard after Gable in free agency...I love John White but he's been a bit injury prone...Gable seems a bit more solid although I do seem to remember him also having injury issues in the past although I could be wrong about that...I wonder if we could afford to sign both.
    Last edited by adb; 11-13-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I know it's way too early but I've been wondering about this upcoming off season and whether or not we should go hard after Gable in free agency...I love John White but he's been a bit injury prone...Gable seems a bit more solid although I do seem to remember him also having injury issues in the past although I could be wrong about that...I wonder if we could afford to sign both.
    Some may disagree, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd take Gable at this point. Juan Blanco is like another Jesse Lumsden - fierce competitor, heart-and-soul teammate, talented back, but in five seasons, he's had only two ('13 and '16) without missing significant time due to injury.

The main issue with Gable is that he's 4 years older than White and is past 30. But according to his stats, even with his injury history, he's played more games than White has (55 to 41).
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

I'd rather play Messam than Harris. Messam has the ability to hurt you, but it seems to depend on his mood that day. Some times he a runs like a man on fire, other times he just looks disinterested when you watch his body language. But even when he's on top of his game, I still think Harris is better.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I'd rather play Messam than Harris. Messam has the ability to hurt you, but it seems to depend on his mood that day. Some times he a runs like a man on fire, other times he just looks disinterested when you watch his body language. But even when he's on top of his game, I still think Harris is better.
    Harris has drive, and won't quit.

Messam is a frontrunner.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Why do I always think the announcers dislike the Esks
    Winnipeg does poorly they are depressed. Winnipeg does well and they almost pee themselves.
    Indifferent to Esks doing well.
    The whole damn TSN panel is like that too! They downplay, marginalize, disregard the Esks and speak volumes/focus on the team the Esks are playing against. Which is why this win is rather sweet!
    Now one more game where it will be blah blah blah.... Calgary... blah blah blah Mitchell. I hope the Esks stick a fork in them 39-0 style........ best game I ever saw live!!!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Not scared of Messam at all. 3 weeks ago in Edmonton, he was a complete non factor with a grand total of 35 yards rushing on 8 attempts for a sparkling 4.4 yard average. For whatever reason, he just isn't producing this year.

The key to beating the Stamps, is pressure on Mitchell. If we can bring pressure like we did on Oct 28, the Esks will be going to Ottawa.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Gable’s has always played well when not injured. However, he has missed many games in past seasons due to injury, so that’s the tisk with him. Sorry, I haven’t checked exactly how many games per season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Not scared of Messam at all. 3 weeks ago in Edmonton, he was a complete non factor with a grand total of 35 yards rushing on 8 attempts for a sparkling 4.4 yard average. For whatever reason, he just isn't producing this year.

The key to beating the Stamps, is pressure on Mitchell. If we can bring pressure like we did on Oct 28, the Esks will be going to Ottawa.
    I would be careful as Messam is streaky... if he starts getting traction look out! We need to smother him early and make sure tackles.... none of this 3-4 guys being carried by Harris crap! If you take him out of the game early he doesn't seem to be as much a factor. Pressure on Bo is key but so is not allowing second and medium/long conversions on defense. Make Calgary punt the ball ALOT as I feel Smith has been real close to breaking a couple of kick's and that would balance off the risk of Finch.
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Gable’s has always played well when not injured. However, he has missed many games in past seasons due to injury, so that’s the tisk with him. Sorry, I haven’t checked exactly how many games per season.
    Gable and White entered the league in the same year (2013). Gable's player profile shows 55 games played for him vs. 41 for White - almost a full season less than Gable.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Gable and White entered the league in the same year (2013). Gable's player profile shows 55 games played for him vs. 41 for White - almost a full season less than Gable.
    Going into this season they were only a few games apart. If Gable goes down next year and White plays (remember he was with us for most of the season in 2013 and 2016), then they will be equal again.

Plus Gable is 4 years older than Blanco. The miles will start to show sooner rather than later.
    Winnipeg has Harris and Flanders, I’d like to see us try to have both White and Gable.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Carrying two American backs was the idea with Van and White this year, but one of them was to be the primary kick returner. I don't think you have that with either White or Gable. I think Flanders is a returner for the Bombers too
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Also keep in mind Gable was less utilized, not getting many touches in HAM from what i know? right?
    So...less contact also