View Poll Results: Should Mass be fired?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 23.26%
  • No

60 69.77%
  • Undecided

6 6.98%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Maas be fired?

vCash

Hot Should Maas be fired?

Lots of talk. I am curious what the numbers will say with the passionate fans on this forum.

vCash

Re: Should Maas be fired?

Should Dickenson have been fired? He cost them a Grey Cup!

I would answer No to both of those questions.

vCash

Should Childress be banned? THAT is the question?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Should Childress be banned? THAT is the question?????
    It's long overdue
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I would argue that you don't fire someone for a single decision. You need to look at the body of work. There are things to be critical of when it comes to Maas, but he did have the team peaking at the right time and they did put up a good fight in the western final.

My answer is no, but reading this forum, I suspect there are many who will disagree with me. Maybe I'm wrong about that. The poll will give clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    It's long overdue
    Because I asked a question as a poll that has been raised in more than one thread already. There are rumours about this issue. I should be banned for asking the question?

vCash

Maas should absolutely NOT be fired. I choose not to participate in this poll. When peoples emotions are still running high, wrong time to run a poll.

vCash

Think it totally inappropriate for a fan from another team, esp Calgary - esp at this time ( couple days after contentious loss to Calgary in Western Final) to be starting a very divisive poll among Edmonton fans.

Would like to see this thread stopped.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Think it totally inappropriate for a fan from another team, esp Calgary - esp at this time ( couple days after contentious loss to Calgary in Western Final) to be starting a very divisive poll among Edmonton fans.

Would like to see this thread stopped.
    It doesn't really matter who started the poll, it's a legitimate question.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash
    Blog Entries

On this note, I need to recant my "Chicken Little" comment about JM from the "Who's Going" thread. Usually, I'm the last guy to want a coach to be fired, especially when it's off of one play. But the more I think about it, the more I can understand the folks who are upset.

Maas to me seems like an odd blend of Chris Jones and Kavis Reed. He's like Jones in that his area of specialty is absolutely dominant and a blast to watch; but he's also like Kavis in terms of his stubbornness, misguided loyalty, and his tendency to let his emotion get the better of him and the team in the long run.

Someone brought it up (forget where) that the Esks have either never or rarely alternated wins and losses under Maas; it's almost always some kind of prolonged streak. When the team wins, they never win just one game. And when they lose, they never lose just one game. That has the potential to create a "tortured musician" kind of psyche where the highs are super high and the lows super low, with no middle ground - a dangerous emotional place for any team.

So for right now, I guess I'm kind of ambivalent towards Jason Maas being our head coach. We'll be in for good times if he can harness his emotion and add some level-headedness to his approach. But if he starts trending towards full on Kavis-mode, things could get ugly.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

So, there you go...

FIRE RHODES!

vCash

I vote no, but I do want him to own up to his stupidity and learn to be less stubborn and inflexible as a coach. Maas has done more things right than wrong, and I kind of like his up-yours attitude to the league, they richly deserve it though Maas needs to learn that you don't need to be in a hurry to get to the fight, exhaust other approaches first. The fight will still be there if nothing else works.

I don't care who started the poll and would not ban Childress, it is a legitimate question even in the heat of the moment. We can stand to be challenged a bit, if Childress gets under your skin you had better not go on Riderfans!
    "If you want peace, prepare for war. Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash

Chil, while a little obvious, is OK.
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Look who shows up.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

No he should not be fired. However this is a blot on him and if we see more things like this in the future he should be gone. As a young head coach he has to acknowledge mistakes and become a better coach. His comments about the importance of special teams earlier this year were equally disturbing.

vCash

Maas needs to be humble and learn from this.... its just that simple. Greatness comes with risk and you have to fail at times before you succeed.

As for Chil..... he only shows up when we have been unsuccessful or are struggling as a team and seems to enjoy pointing out our perceived weakness...... I will leave it to the mods but I know how I feel about it..... take "Johnny Hockey" with you............
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

No he should not be fired over this. I have every confidence that he will learn from his decision and be a better coach for it. He does need to change out the DC and ST coaches though or I may be singing a different tune next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Childress View Post
    I would argue that you don't fire someone for a single decision. You need to look at the body of work. There are things to be critical of when it comes to Maas, but he did have the team peaking at the right time and they did put up a good fight in the western final.

My answer is no, but reading this forum, I suspect there are many who will disagree with me. Maybe I'm wrong about that. The poll will give clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I asked a question as a poll that has been raised in more than one thread already. There are rumours about this issue. I should be banned for asking the question?
    You should get banned because you serve no purpose here. You are a poop disturber - and you enjoy it. GET LOST!

vCash

Yes, not just for his 1 decision, but for his year long Temper tantrums on the sidelines, the way he treats the other coaches on the team, his marching on the field at the referees, is that what we settle for as an Eskimo coach. Eskimos have a Great tradition and family values, Maas has tarnished our image.

vCash

Fired? No we could wind up with another Kavis Reed. Maas made a huge mistake if he can't get us to the promiseland so to speak then replace him but give him a couple more years to see if he grows or stays stagnant.
    Childress banned? Meh I feel the same way I do about other people on here I can't stand - when I see a jackass braying I don't feel any need to bray back. Unless he's saying anything racist, offensive, sexist or threatening who cares.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    It doesn't really matter who started the poll, it's a legitimate question.
    I do appreciate why you are saying. But, especially in light of the feelings of others posted in the preceding of which I was largely unaware, I do not think that the person who started this thread really cares about the actual answer. The question seemed posed with malice intended. But if I were moderator, which I thankfully am not, I'd probably try to be more Solomon-like, as you are, and also let it go.

vCash

I said yes but I think he stays for this season.

He should only get one more year though and if he fails next season I think he's gone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    I do appreciate why you are saying. But, especially in light of the feelings of others posted in the preceding of which I was largely unaware, I do not think that the person who started this thread really cares about the actual answer. The question seemed posed with malice intended. But if I were moderator, which I thankfully am not, I'd probably try to be more Solomon-like, as you are, and also let it go.
    Yeah, Childress only shows up at moments like this, tries to stir the pot in some sort of negative way, and then vanishes into the mist. Usually he has the "it's a legitimate Q, isn't it?" defense ready to go. But by now we all know his real motives.

By now I just treat it as sort of a comedy side show. When something happens, I just think "Childress in 3...2...1...", and magically, there he is.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esksforever87 View Post
    Yes, not just for his 1 decision, but for his year long Temper tantrums on the sidelines, the way he treats the other coaches on the team, his marching on the field at the referees, is that what we settle for as an Eskimo coach. Eskimos have a Great tradition and family values, Maas has tarnished our image.
    Welcome to esksfans Len Rhodes!

vCash

There have been far worse guys that have tarnished the Esks tradition just in the past decade or so. Higgins, Danny Mac, Sitter hands, etc. Hell, our current President has done more to tarnish our image than Maas as Eskimo tradition has always been about winning on and off the field, not this "winning games isn't enough" non-sense.

I don't like his antics, but he knows the game well and holds true to Eskimo tradition. I'd like to see him tone things down next year. If he does, fine. If he doesn't then maybe we move on.

vCash

Maas has shown fire heart and a no BS approach to trying to win football games.... I'll take that over an a$$ kissing meat shield that won't stand up for the team/players and will throw them and the fans under the bus to save their own skin.... oh wait....... we've got one of those already.................. !
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I don't like his antics, but he knows the game well and holds true to Eskimo tradition.
    That didn't help the last guy who got fired.

vCash

TSN 1260 will be carrying Jason Maas' media availability live at 2:30 MST this afternoon. Apparently Ed Hervey will be joining Jason Gregor at 2 pm- a few hours earlier than usual.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    TSN 1260 will be carrying Jason Maas' media availability live at 2:30 MST this afternoon. Apparently Ed Hervey will be joining Jason Gregor at 2 pm- a few hours earlier than usual.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Hervey said he would have asked "are you sure?" if he was on the sidelines.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

Makes sense. He also said if it was him he would have gone for the two point convert had they gone for (and scored) the touchdown. He said he wouldn't play for the tie, he'd go for the win.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

How? He wouldn’t have been in the coaches box so I very much doubt he could talk maas down from that in what was litterally seconds..

No doubt I believe that’s Ed’s train of thought... but he wouldn’t have had a conversation with Jason mid game.. no way