Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ed Hervey Named BC Lions GM

vCash

Re: Ed Hervey Named BC Lions GM

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1949 View Post
    The good thing about Hervey working for BC now is that at least someone is going to get their mouths shut. If Hervey does turn into another Huff or Buono then all of his haters can suck ass. And if he doesn't then the other side will have something to say about it.

The one thing i absolutely don't understand is IMO the hate towards Hervey that is coming from some quarters in Esks fandom. It's like genuine personal hate and i don't get it at all. Even if you think Hervey is overrated so be it. But, some Esks fans have this irrational hatred of the man. Albeit this is a very small minority, (thankfully), it's just really weird to me. We didn't win the Grey Cup for 10 years before he rebuilt the team. What the **** do people want? The current MOP and our franchise QB is directly because of him. This irrational hatred is just puzzling to me. He did a great job as GM.

The only parallel i can come up with is Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson. It was a stupid ego fight over whose team the Dallas Cowboys "belonged to" and obviously the owner one. Total ego move and at least Jerry won another Super Bowl after Jimmy. Hasn't won **** since, though. I think this is just petty jealousy towards Hervey from the BOD and their supporters and that's fine... they got "their guy" in there. I just wish Ed had gone to an Eastern team because we are going to get constant reminders of the BOD's decision over the coming years.
    Ive not seen ANY hate towards ed hervey from the Eskimos fans? Unless your talking about away from esksfans... Ed is very much loved and respected by the entire Eskimo fanbase...

Imho it's a bit like Ricky Ray.... We love him but ... not above us...

vCash
    Blog Entries

On a side note, not sure if it's been mentioned but this TSN article from Dave Naylor really got me riled up when I first read it yesterday:

Hevery deserves this chance with Lions

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/hervey-des...lions-1.930841

It should surprise no one that Ed Hervey is back as a general manager in the Canadian Football League, less than eight months after being dismissed from the same role by the Edmonton Eskimos.

For whatever his public image was among some fans and members of the media, Hervey did an outstanding job with the football side of the Eskimos.
    What a load of hypocrisy. Naylor and his cronies were among the ones who goaded Rhodes to fire Hervey in the first place; now that he's out of Edmonton, all of a sudden he's a football genius who deserves a second chance?

"Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    On a side note, not sure if it's been mentioned but this TSN article from Dave Naylor really got me riled up when I first read it yesterday:

Hevery deserves this chance with Lions

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/hervey-des...lions-1.930841

What a load of hypocrisy. Naylor and his cronies were among the ones who goaded Rhodes to fire Hervey in the first place; now that he's out of Edmonton, all of a sudden he's a football genius who deserves a second chance?

Naylor got him fired? No....Rhodes was the one who fired him because he didn't want to share the spotlight.

I don't recall Naylor and cronies getting him fired. Rhodes did that all on his own because of his ego.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I hated him though...
    That's why you fired him. You were scared of him.

vCash

I hated him though...
    U should have said something sooner..

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Naylor got him fired? No....Rhodes was the one who fired him because he didn't want to share the spotlight.

I don't recall Naylor and cronies getting him fired. Rhodes did that all on his own because of his ego.
    Rhodent was also intimidated by certain elements of the local media. Zero spine on that boy...ketchup that is...

I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Rhodent was also intimidated by certain elements of the local media. Zero spine on that boy...ketchup that is...

Must have had some spine... he fired ed

There is no doubt in my mind it was a self preservation move from Rhodes imho though

vCash

Rhodent was dead to me the minute the weasel said Winning isn't everything.

vCash

I just don't buy into the media getting Hervey fired....I think that is complete BS and the more people buy into it...the more leeway that gives Len Rhodes which is where the anger should be getting directed at in the first place.

His dismissal came down to Len Rhodes fear that Hervey was going to usurp his power. He said as much during his interviews...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I just don't buy into the media getting Hervey fired....I think that is complete BS and the more people buy into it...the more leeway that gives Len Rhodes which is where the anger should be getting directed at in the first place.

His dismissal came down to Len Rhodes fear that Hervey was going to usurp his power. He said as much during his interviews...
    No it its was not anything to do with media.... Turned into a Len v ed fight ...

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

it was aided by TJ & GM writing pieces that were embarrassing to Rhodent and that played a part in it.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I hated him though...
    Been trying not to bite on your posts but the fact that he won us a Grey Cup in his 3rd full year as a GM after taking over a 7-11 team with a depleted Canadian lineup, tells me that you have a PERSONAL hate on for him as I would take a grey cup every three years, if given the choice.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Been trying not to bite on your posts but the fact that he won us a Grey Cup in his 3rd full year as a GM after taking over a 7-11 team with a depleted Canadian lineup, tells me that you have a PERSONAL hate on for him as I would take a grey cup every three years, if given the choice.
    #KetchupVendetta
    #HerveysFault
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    it was aided by TJ & GM writing pieces that were embarrassing to Rhodent and that played a part in it.
    Which squarely falls on Rhodes. Who cares what the media thinks? Ultimately, Rhodes decided Ed was gone, not the media. How many of you read the paper? How many of you care what these guys say in the paper?

Rhodes is spineless, plain and simple.

vCash

How about taking the playoff bound 7-11 team and turning it into 4-14 non playoff team in his first year?

Was it Hervey who won us that cup in 2015 or Chris Jones? I think the later.
    Who hired Jones?
    Somebody crabby needs a hug.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

It's well known that the effect of a GM comes into play most strongly in years 2 and especially 3 of their tenures. In year 1 they're in charge of the team built by their predecessor.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

I hated him though...
    Care to elaborate?

How about taking the playoff bound 7-11 team and turning it into 4-14 non playoff team in his first year?

2013 was all about laying the groundwork for what became a four straight division finalist that overcame losing an entire coaching staff and a record setting number of injuries. Hervey took a team of mercenaries that had no QB and no identity, and went out and identified guys that could come in and be leaders on and off the field, and reinstilled a culture of winning and a team first mentality. If you can’t see that, you haven’t been paying attention.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    2013 was all about laying the groundwork for what became a four straight division finalist that overcame losing an entire coaching staff and a record setting number of injuries. Hervey took a team of mercenaries that had no QB and no identity, and went out and identified guys that could come in and be leaders on and off the field, and reinstilled a culture of winning and a team first mentality. If you can’t see that, you haven’t been paying attention.
    Don't feed the Paul's.
    By previously legalizing same-sex marriage and now Marijuana, Canada has finally interpreted the bible correctly:

Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with another man he should be stoned.

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Don't feed the Paul's.
    You’re right, I just can’t tell if this guys for real or not.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    He actually said in that post that he hated Ricky Ray. If we are to go by conventional english.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    couldn't have said it better myself
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Thinking more on this maybe Paul isn’t Rhodent. He’s probably sitter hands or one of his lackeys. Of course trumpets out one poor trade (with Hamilton), and then trumpets out his glorious 7-11 record being better than first year Hervey. Welcome back perv. Now GTFO.

vCash

I have zero problem people taking Hervey to task for errors he made while he was here but the above comment is bizarre and agenda driven.

1) Who traded two 2nd rounders for Mike Reilly the current mop and grey cup winning QB?
    2) Who hired Jones as coach?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I have zero problem people taking Hervey to task for errors he made while he was here but the above comment is bizarre and agenda driven.

1) Who traded two 2nd rounders for Mike Reilly the current mop and grey cup winning QB?
    2) Who hired Jones as coach?

Your biting brother

He wants you to take the bait...

Let the troll swim away

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Your biting brother

He wants you to take the bait...

Let the troll swim away
    Ketchup stains deep... tough to get out, no matter how hard you try.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

Looks like Ed is rolling up his sleeves right away.

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Looks like Ed is rolling up his sleeves right away.

Nice way to say Merry Christmas. Maybe better to get it done quickly so they can be available if a good spot opens up. Just my take here, but usually doesn't the head coach choose his own staff. It seems an unusual situation in BC with Wally still there and his staff getting the gas pipe. You would have to believe that Wally chose all the staff from last year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Nice way to say Merry Christmas. Maybe better to get it done quickly so they can be available if a good spot opens up. Just my take here, but usually doesn't the head coach choose his own staff. It seems an unusual situation in BC with Wally still there and his staff getting the gas pipe. You would have to believe that Wally chose all the staff from last year.
    It would be my guess with Wally still being head coach, that this is more his decision than Ed’s.

vCash

With Marcello Simmons now looking for a job , just wondering if we would look at him as ST coach, the position he held in BC. Not that our ST's could use improving. Simmons played in Edm as a player and was DB coach here in 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    It would be my guess with Wally still being head coach, that this is more his decision than Ed’s.
    I just can't believe Wally was that pi$$ed at his guys that he would axe them. It's certainly possible I guess.