Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 1999

Thread: Around the CFL - 2018

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2018

BC will be interviewing Craig Dickenson to be their HC according to Justin Dunk.

Hervey wasting no time to get stuff done.

Wonder if Toronto has started their coaching search yet?

vCash

The kid played well this season. Definitely worth locking in.

Also:
    TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have extended Canadian WR Anthony Coombs for one year through 2019 and Canadian DL Linden Gaydosh for two years through 2020, the team announced on Tuesday. Both contracts were extended prior to the conclusion of the Argos regular season.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-14-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    BC will be interviewing Craig Dickenson to be their HC according to Justin Dunk.

Really hope they hire Dickenson...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

thought teams could not do anything of the sort till after the grey cup game ?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Solid point

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    No announcements during Grey Cup week.

Saskatchewan is out, so their coaching staff is fair game (provided permission received as I believe they are all still under contract over there).

vCash

CFL RELEASES STATEMENT REGARDING PLAYER HEALTH AND SAFETY

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League released a statement regarding player health and safety on Thursday:

“An eighth official whose only responsibility is to watch for any blows delivered to the head or neck of a quarterback, one of the most vulnerable players on the field, will be added for this weekend’s Eastern and Western Finals and the 106th Grey Cup presented by Shaw, the Canadian Football League has announced.

The change comes after a high hit to Saskatchewan Roughrider quarterback Brandon Bridge, which should have been assessed a penalty for roughing the passer, was not flagged during last weekend’s Western Semi-Final game. Video from a camera worn by the Head Referee revealed his view had been blocked by a different player.

“It is very important that this sort of potentially dangerous play is penalized on the field in addition to being subject to supplementary discipline. Not only is it important to the integrity of the game, it can act as a deterrent,” said Randy Ambrosie, Commissioner of the CFL.

“That is why we are adding an additional set of eyes, with a strictly limited but well defined mandate, to our officiating crew. No system is fail safe and no human is incapable of error. And nothing we do on player safety should be held up as the ultimate solution. Our approach must constantly evolve. But we believe this is a step forward. We will continue to look for ways to not only penalize dangerous play but, more importantly, prevent it.”

The decision to act was made after the issue of quarterback safety was discussed this week with the nine CFL member clubs and this particular proposal was presented yesterday to the four clubs still in contention for Canadian professional football’s ultimate prize, the Grey Cup.

“I want to thank the clubs for their input and counsel. I especially want to acknowledge the view of some that making a change in the middle of the playoffs has some significant risks,” Ambrosie said.

“I understand and even sympathize to a large extent with that position. Making changes at this point is another variable coaches and players and even officials, all of whom are under pressure at this critical time of year, have to consider. But we ultimately came to the conclusion that this step is needed at this time. We have done much over the years to protect quarterbacks, including rule changes. This year, we increased fines and even imposed suspensions. We tweaked our officiating protocols to assign to umpires as well as head referees the responsibility for detecting and calling high hits to the quarterback. But it is clear we need to do more.”

If the eighth official sees a blow to the head or neck of the quarterback that has not already been flagged, he will advise the Head Referee, who can then assess a penalty for roughing the passer. The eighth official will have no other responsibilities and cannot suggest or call a penalty for other infractions. The role of the eighth official will be filled by someone who has experience as a head referee.

“After the Grey Cup, we will assess this change as part of a complete review of what we are doing, and what else might be done, to protect quarterbacks and improve health and safety for all of our players,” Ambrosie said.

“The addition of an eighth official may prove to be an interim step. It may become part of a broader package of reforms which may include changes to the mandate of the Command Centre. That will be determined by a process that will include our Canadian Football League Players’ Association, our Rules Committee, our officials and our governors. The process of improving player health and safety is very important to us and it never ends.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/15/cfl-re...health-safety/
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-15-2018 at 11:20 AM.

vCash

Amazing.. mike Reilly can get battered week in week out AND have a blatant hit to the head challenge overruled by the command centre.. but as soon as it effects the riders.. the whole dynamic changes.. unbelievable ..

Good for the qbs long term.. but how it came about is piss poor

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Amazing.. mike Reilly can get battered week in week out AND have a blatant hit to the head challenge overruled by the command centre.. but as soon as it effects the riders.. the whole dynamic changes.. unbelievable ..

Amen
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash

This kind of p!sses me off. The Eskimos lose a game where RTP is challenged and the non-call on the field stands. The rules as stated in the 2018 CFL Rule Book are clearly violated and its crickets from the commissioner. Happens to a Rider (admittedly twice) and it is instant policy changes.

and rep to cmbuk!

Just goes to show how little the league values it’s non-rider CFL fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    This kind of p!sses me off. The Eskimos lose a game where RTP is challenged and the non-call on the field stands. The rules as stated in the 2018 CFL Rule Book are clearly violated and its crickets from the commissioner. Happens to a Rider (admittedly twice) and it is instant policy changes.

and rep to cmbuk!
    Me too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

CFL RELEASES STATEMENT REGARDING PLAYER HEALTH AND SAFETY

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League released a statement regarding player health and safety on Thursday:

“An eighth official whose only responsibility is to watch for any blows delivered to the head or neck of a quarterback, one of the most vulnerable players on the field, will be added for this weekend’s Eastern and Western Finals and the 106th Grey Cup presented by Shaw, the Canadian Football League has announced.

The change comes after a high hit to Saskatchewan Roughrider quarterback Brandon Bridge, which should have been assessed a penalty for roughing the passer, was not flagged during last weekend’s Western Semi-Final game. Video from a camera worn by the Head Referee revealed his view had been blocked by a different player.

“It is very important that this sort of potentially dangerous play is penalized on the field in addition to being subject to supplementary discipline. Not only is it important to the integrity of the game, it can act as a deterrent,” said Randy Ambrosie, Commissioner of the CFL.

“That is why we are adding an additional set of eyes, with a strictly limited but well defined mandate, to our officiating crew. No system is fail safe and no human is incapable of error. And nothing we do on player safety should be held up as the ultimate solution. Our approach must constantly evolve. But we believe this is a step forward. We will continue to look for ways to not only penalize dangerous play but, more importantly, prevent it.”

The decision to act was made after the issue of quarterback safety was discussed this week with the nine CFL member clubs and this particular proposal was presented yesterday to the four clubs still in contention for Canadian professional football’s ultimate prize, the Grey Cup.

“I want to thank the clubs for their input and counsel. I especially want to acknowledge the view of some that making a change in the middle of the playoffs has some significant risks,” Ambrosie said.

“I understand and even sympathize to a large extent with that position. Making changes at this point is another variable coaches and players and even officials, all of whom are under pressure at this critical time of year, have to consider. But we ultimately came to the conclusion that this step is needed at this time. We have done much over the years to protect quarterbacks, including rule changes. This year, we increased fines and even imposed suspensions. We tweaked our officiating protocols to assign to umpires as well as head referees the responsibility for detecting and calling high hits to the quarterback. But it is clear we need to do more.”

If the eighth official sees a blow to the head or neck of the quarterback that has not already been flagged, he will advise the Head Referee, who can then assess a penalty for roughing the passer. The eighth official will have no other responsibilities and cannot suggest or call a penalty for other infractions. The role of the eighth official will be filled by someone who has experience as a head referee.

“After the Grey Cup, we will assess this change as part of a complete review of what we are doing, and what else might be done, to protect quarterbacks and improve health and safety for all of our players,” Ambrosie said.

“The addition of an eighth official may prove to be an interim step. It may become part of a broader package of reforms which may include changes to the mandate of the Command Centre. That will be determined by a process that will include our Canadian Football League Players’ Association, our Rules Committee, our officials and our governors. The process of improving player health and safety is very important to us and it never ends.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/15/cfl-re...health-safety/
    not really sure why they went this route instead of giving the off field official the power to call down and get the refs to take a second look.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Nothing this league does shocks me anymore. Its clear there's different rules for each team and TSN has total control of it all. Back to back weeks Reilly gets hit, and with a overruled - not a ****ing peep from the commish. Happens to Sask their love child and now theres new rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    not really sure why they went this route instead of giving the off field official the power to call down and get the refs to take a second look.
    easier to control outcomes and hide it.

vCash

Absolutely right.

Good news though is the greenwhites aren't getting calls changed on their behalf. The undue attention they're getting isn't changing anything to benefit them. The league in general will be better because it finally happened to them.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    They're too busy ordering from "Skip the Dishes" to be watching every second of play.
    Seriously though, I'd rather have a flag fly right away versus waiting for the command centre to figure out wtf is going on.

vCash

This league infuriates me. If I didnít have such an attachment to it, I probably wouldíve checked out by now.

Mike Reilly is the CFLs best player. The entire league will be lining up to try and sign this guy. He has taken probably around 10 head shots this season, and maybe 1 or 2 of them got called. 1 even he got upheld by challenge to give the Riders a win.

But then a couple of QBs who will be lucky to have jobs next season get hit and everything changes because of the shade of green they wear. Not surprised in the least, as a I said it would happen. But this leagues bias towards the Riders is completely insufferable.

And giving Jeffcoat the max fine is a complete joke. Go watch the replays. Bridge makes a slight leap in the air to get the pass over the oncoming Bombers, and at this point Jeffcoat commits to the tackle. He is lined up with Bridges shoulder but as gravity brings Bridge down, some of the contact ends up helmet to helmet but the primary point of contact is shoulder to shoulder.

It was a missed 15 yard penalty and nothing more. Had Jones not wasted his challenge, he couldíve got it overturned.

**** this league really pisses me off.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    This league infuriates me. If I didn’t have such an attachment to it, I probably would’ve checked out by now.

Mike Reilly is the CFLs best player. The entire league will be lining up to try and sign this guy. He has taken probably around 10 head shots this season, and maybe 1 or 2 of them got called. 1 even he got upheld by challenge to give the Riders a win.

But then a couple of QBs who will be lucky to have jobs next season get hit and everything changes because of the shade of green they wear. Not surprised in the least, as a I said it would happen. But this leagues bias towards the Riders is completely insufferable.

And giving Jeffcoat the max fine is a complete joke. Go watch the replays. Bridge makes a slight leap in the air to get the pass over the oncoming Bombers, and at this point Jeffcoat commits to the tackle. He is lined up with Bridges shoulder but as gravity brings Bridge down, some of the contact ends up helmet to helmet but the primary point of contact is shoulder to shoulder.

It was a missed 15 yard penalty and nothing more. Had Jones not wasted his challenge, he could’ve got it overturned.

Irony is jones had to begrudgeingly throw his flag on a blatant tug of the jersey completely missed by the refs.. this is where I feel if you keep the same rules in place but if you win your challenge u keep it.. might be a better way than now or the previous fishing flag fest the hc used to do..

That Said.. if bridges was a headshot .. Reillys was a headshot.. clear as day..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    This league infuriates me. If I didn’t have such an attachment to it, I probably would’ve checked out by now.

It was a missed 15 yard penalty and nothing more. Had Jones not wasted his challenge, he could’ve got it overturned.

Feel the exact same sentiments, but the bright side is that this should help reduce these types of hits in the long run. It's way overdue, but at least it's happening, and I'm sure this isn't the final solution, but rather interim as it doesn't impact how the game is played over the next two weeks.

vCash

Only 4 more refs and they can have eyes on every pair out there
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

It's just another band-aid on the underlying problem of bad officiating, week-in and week-out. They've tried coaches challenges, command centre reviews and now additional officials. Until they get professional officiating with all the training, post-game reviews and film study that involves the league will continue to face criticism for calls and missed calls that directly impact game results.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    Only 4 more refs and they can have eyes on every pair out there
    Why stop at 4 more? Let's have 24 refs out there that way each ref is assigned to watching one player.....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/17/walkin...s-brush-death/

Great article here on DeVone Claybrooks and his brush with death this summer. Scary stuff.

Nicely told by Chris O’Leary.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

CFL

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Report: Bombers, Bryant agree to one-year extension
    TSN.ca Staff

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have agreed to a one-year contract extension with West Division All-Star and Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman nominee Stanley Bryant, according to a report from 3DownNation.com’s Justin Dunk.

Bryant played all 18 games with the Blue Bombers last season, his fourth with the team.

Bryant was named the league’s Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman last season and is up against Hamilton Tiger-Cats offensive guard Brandon Revenberg for his year’s award.

The 32-year-old was named a CFL All-Star in 2013, 2014, and 2017.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-bombers-br...sion-1.1213088

vCash

Ticats head coach June Jones responds to speculation surrounding Orlondo Steinauer
    Posted on November 20, 2018 by 3Down Staff
    http://3downnation.com/2018/11/20/ti...ndo-steinauer/

Current Hamilton Tiger-Cats head coach Junes Jones addressed persisting rumours about that assistant head coach Orlondo Steinauer.

“Orlondo and I have had a conversation about his situation. Any time a guy has an opportunity, I’m happy for them. Anybody that wants to leave, I’m happy for them too to help them get to where they want to go, that’s just the way I’ve always been,” Jones said.

The B.C. Lions and Toronto Argos are looking for a new head coach.

“Everybody wants to come back, everybody believes we can make the changes internally from what we’re doing offensively and defensively and tweaking it and getting better that way as coaches just like the players have to do the same in their given areas of expertise,” Jones said

Nothing to back it but pure speculation on my part, but if I was betting, my money is on Orlando to be the head coach of the Lions next season.

vCash

Winnipeg Blue Bombers have released DB Mo Leggett

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/11/...urice-leggett/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Winnipeg Blue Bombers have released DB Mo Leggett

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/11/...urice-leggett/

Wow, I thought he was very solid.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    Wow, I thought he was very solid.
    He was. But last year he tore his Achilles tendon and, on top of that, it was mentioned that this year he was having some kind of problems with his digestive system which prevented him from keeping his weight up. He's a real fan favourite and hugely respected for all the stuff he's done in the city (he moved his wife and family up here).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post
    He was. But last year he tore his Achilles tendon and, on top of that, it was mentioned that this year he was having some kind of problems with his digestive system which prevented him from keeping his weight up. He's a real fan favourite and hugely respected for all the stuff he's done in the city (he moved his wife and family up here).
    Thanks for the info

vCash

While this is NFL news, this firing could spell the end of Scott Milanovich as QB coach in Jacksonville. Could he be back in the CFL next year?

step on the breaks... looks like Milanovich may actually be calling O plays for the rest of the season. Good for him if all this leads to a promotion.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-26-2018 at 02:13 PM.

vCash

I have never been more interested in seeing what happens in an off-season in the CFL. The teams could look so different going into 2019...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on