Thread: Post free agency power rankings?

vCash

Article Post free agency power rankings?

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/03/06/stamps...ower-rankings/

Title should be, "I don't think off season matters except for the Riders who are amazing"

Stamps at 1. Why? They lost Hughes and Messam, so obviously will be the best.

Riders at 3. Why? (emphasis mine) "IF he remains healthy, Zach Collaros COULD be the final piece of the puzzle to set the Riders over the edge in 2018. the Riders were already a contender last year and with consistent play at quarterback, Collaros COULD give them something they lacked last season. "

Are those not major 'if' questions? When was the last time Collaros looked good? When was the last time he completed a season? Oh.... never? but he'll be consistently great for them, and in no way has a personality that will lead to fist fights with Carter should things go wrong.

I do agree that the Als are at the bottom. Until they get an actual GM (and a few years of re-build with them) they will be crap. Poor Westerman....

Up in the air about you guys, I feel like the exodus (other than Zylstra) was a big statement on the new management, but time will tell.
    Last edited by Macavity; 03-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Re: Post free agency power rankings?

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/03/06/stamps...ower-rankings/

Title should be, "I don't think off season matters except for the Riders who are amazing"

Stamps at 1. Why? They lost Hughes and Messam, so obviously will be the best.

Riders at 3. Why? (emphasis mine) "IF he remains healthy, Zach Collaros COULD be the final piece of the puzzle to set the Riders over the edge in 2018. the Riders were already a contender last year and with consistent play at quarterback, Collaros COULD give them something they lacked last season. "

Are those not major 'if' questions? When was the last time Collaros looked good? When was the last time he completed a season? Oh.... never? but he'll be consistently great for them, and in no way has a personality that will lead to fist fights with Carter should things go wrong.

I do agree that the Als are at the bottom. Until they get an actual GM (and a few years of re-build with them) they will be crap. Poor Westerman....

Up in the air about you guys, I feel like the exodus (other than Zylstra) was a big statement on the new management, but time will tell.
    Exodus? Most of the guys that Sunderland wanted to stay did stay except for the typical NFL guys. The key players out are Bowman (released), Willis (traded) and a few guys that went to BC. However, other than Figueroa, I'm not sure any of the ones that went to BC were the top priorities to BS. Walker, Grymes, Hazelton, Gable, Jones, Konar, etc. all chose to stay. And even guys like Whyte and Van chose to stay despite a trip down the depth chart. He also convinced a couple decent guys to join the team in free agency.

Overall, one can criticize some of the bets Brock Sunderland has made on his releases and trades or for not being more aggressive on Figueroa, but I see more signs that the players have bought into Maas/Sunderland than the other way around.

----
    As for the ranking themselves, typical off-season blather. I frankly can see any one of the five Western teams being number one at the end of the year and expect at least the top 3 maybe top 4 teams to be playing in the West again this year. Likely comes down to who gets hot at the right time and navigates injuries the best. That said, I'd put Winnipeg above the Riders as I think Winnipeg has fewer question marks other than if they can stay as healthy this year as they did last year. .
    Last edited by bone; 03-06-2018 at 03:51 PM.

vCash

Given the injury bug that became an entire hornet's nest, at the end of the season we had pretty much two full rosters under contract. Of course some players had to go. The advantage was that the team could choose which ones to let go. I'd like to see more resources put to the OL, but generally am somewhat happy about our current position. On the greenwhites, Collaros is a pretty big wild card. For a while there, Drew Willy looked like a world-beater also, and then not so much. He never got it back. What makes them think that Collaros will?

I think BC is being under-rated more than anyone else. They had an off-year last year, but were better than their record. Their QB position could stabilize and Hervey is improving their lines. I don't see them anywhere near #8.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Given the injury bug that became an entire hornet's nest, at the end of the season we had pretty much two full rosters under contract. Of course some players had to go. The advantage was that the team could choose which ones to let go. I'd like to see more resources put to the OL, but generally am somewhat happy about our current position. On the greenwhites, Collaros is a pretty big wild card. For a while there, Drew Willy looked like a world-beater also, and then not so much. He never got it back. What makes them think that Collaros will?

I think BC is being under-rated more than anyone else. They had an off-year last year, but were better than their record. Their QB position could stabilize and Hervey is improving their lines. I don't see them anywhere near #8.
    biggest question mark for me is our Oline but I'm in a wait and see mode with that. Our secondary is better than its been in a long time and with Mike Reilly, I'm not sure the loss of Bowman and Zylstra will make that much of a difference. Also happy about getting younger on the Dline as it was needed.

Agree with your assessment of BC as improved line play leads to wins for sure
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I'm already tired of people claiming the Greenwhites have it together all of a sudden when they have no QB, mostly!
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

This is the way I see it:

Stamps, Esks and Bombers will battle for spots 1 - 3 in the league.
    Sasky, BC and Argos will battle for spots 4 - 6
    Redblacks and Ticats will battle for spots 7 - 8
    and Als will be 9
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    This is the way I see it:

Stamps, Esks and Bombers will battle for spots 1 - 3 in the league.
    Sasky, BC and Argos will battle for spots 4 - 6
    Redblacks and Ticats will battle for spots 7 - 8
    and Als will be 9
    Agreed. Still possible that one of BC or Sask moves into the top 3, but there are more questions on them than there are amongst the Stamps, Bombers, and Esks.