Thread: RE/MAX Field

vCash
    Blog Entries

Flame RE/MAX Field

“There is a proposal, I am told, by certain developers in this town to demolish the ballpark and build condos in its place,” said Edmonton Prospects Managing Partner Pat Cassidy.

Why the hell is this city seemingly hell bent on only having the Oilers and Eskim...err...CFL team?

I get it, its college baseball, it's not MLB, it's not even the AAA Trappers, but it's worth keeping our beautiful ballpark open.

If you go the Prospects website, www.prospectsbaseballclub.com you can see excerpts from a letter former Blue Jay Roberto Alomar wrote to Mayor Iveson fighting for RE/MAX Field.

Why, why, why can't we have nice things?

vCash

Re: RE/MAX Field

It would be such a crying shame if they bulldozed the ball park! It sucks that their isn’t a league willing to travel to Edmonton (PCL), that would take away any options of bulldozing it.

vCash

Beyond stupid. Edmonton wants to be a sports town yet is considering tearing down the only stadium capable of handling college/pro ball for condos? I have to sit down, I can't take this in standing up.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

But Edmonton ISN'T a sports town. Let's get that myth out of the way. Metro Edmonton has a million people. Not even 5,000 are willing to consistently buy tickets for baseball (or anything that isn't Oilers or Eskimos). It's a nice ball park. It sits empty. And every so often some businessperson comes along and tries to make it work, takes a bath and moves on and the park sits empty again.

Demolish it.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    But Edmonton ISN'T a sports town. Let's get that myth out of the way. Metro Edmonton has a million people. Not even 5,000 are willing to consistently buy tickets for baseball (or anything that isn't Oilers or Eskimos). It's a nice ball park. It sits empty. And every so often some businessperson comes along and tries to make it work, takes a bath and moves on and the park sits empty again.

Demolish it.
    I hate to agree with this, but I can't find an argument against it. DDS is right, Edmonton isn't a sports town. We're an Oilers town. If the Oilers are willing to support something it'll succeed, that's it. Junior hockey and lacrosse left because the Oilers weren't on board. Professional baseball is gone and won't be back. Soccer has failed 400 times. University sports are wildly under attended as are youth sports. Hell, even the Eskimos are approaching worrisome attendance numbers. What's left? One off events like Crashed Ice and... I guess the Oilers will make Ivan Hlinka kind of work. The World Track Championships went well. What else has really blown the doors off this town in the last 20 years? The Indy was cool, but failed. Is the triathalon coming back? The Brier? I wasn't impressed with attendance last time.

I wouldn't demolish the ballpark just because it'll make my drive to work worse. I suffered enough during the 3 year east Henday construction and didn't get enough of a break before the east LRT debacle messes up my commute for the rest of my life as a downtown worker.

vCash

DDS and Baron aren't wrong. This is far from a sports town. It's an Oilers town, plain and simple.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Edmonton used to be a pretty good sports town. Helps when you have an administration who isn't caught up with trying to social re-engineer everyone's lives and bike paths

- - - Updated - - -

Under the Mandel/Iveson civic sh*tshow my taxes have gone up almost 80% yet this city has pissed away:

Indycar
    Minor League Pro Baseball
    NLL
    CFR
    Soccer V10.0 V10.1 V10.2 (ok maybe soccer should just die already..)
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

It's a great ball park...but I don't see affiliated baseball ever coming back, and while the Goldeyes make it work in Winnipeg, there doesn't seem much will to try the independent experiment again here. The Prospects don't need that kinda ballpark. As much as I love baseball, I really struggle to see what end it serves anymore.

I'd be willing to let it go at this point.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Independent ball said it would come back if the city would grant a min 5 yr lease. The city refused, then gave control of the park to the prospects. The city's endgame is to let the prospects fail and say " oh well, we tried" as the bulldozers back off the trailers..
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Edmonton City Council doesn't always make the best decisions, but I'm not going to blame the politicians because there aren't 5,000 people in a city of a million willing to consistently buy baseball tickets.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Edmonton City Council doesn't always make the best decisions, but I'm not going to blame the politicians because there aren't 5,000 people in a city of a million willing to consistently buy baseball tickets.
    I don’t disagree with most of what’s in this thread, but when the Eskimos sold the Trappers attendance wasn’t the issue, our location for the league was. AAA ball was at least reasonably supported, but that’s never coming back.

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I don’t disagree with most of what’s in this thread, but when the Eskimos sold the Trappers attendance wasn’t the issue, our location for the league was. AAA ball was at least reasonably supported, but that’s never coming back.
    Yeah, the PCL now is almost entirely in the southern half of the states (or close too it)... the exception being Tacoma, and I imagine the only reason they haven't moved is the Mariners like to have them close to Seattle.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    If you think about it, aside from maybe the Rush, attendance hasn't been the biggest issue when it comes to teams/events leaving Edmonton in recent years. I see league problems, facility disputes and a non-sporty city council dealing with new arena buyer's remorse/backlash as bigger contributing factors.

When it comes to baseball (which I love), I want to go, I intend to go but besides 3 or 4 Cracker Cats games and the 2016 World's Longest Baseball Game, I haven't set foot inside of what is now Re-Max Field since the Trappers left. My guess is I'm not alone. Our remote location is the biggest problem when it comes to professional baseball returning here and that's not changing. I like how the Prospects go about their business but college summer league baseball is a very tough sell to those of us who grew up on AAA. Still, I really want to get to a game (which will hopefully lead to 2 or more) this summer and hopefully enough others do the same to help stave off the bulldozers for another year.