Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,148
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    62

    Article / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    I was on Cfl.Ca forums and read this had to post it.


    DPop13
    Rookie
    **


    Posts: 18
    Joined: Mar 27 2018, 09:14 PM
    Location: In The Empire





    May 12 2018, 02:12 PM



    In 2015, the Edmonton Eskimos passing defense was 2nd in yards and 1st in touchdowns given up. Against the rush the Eskies were 2nd in yards and 2nd in touchdowns surrendered. The Chris Jones schemed defense was widely accepted as one of the top two defenses and that defense led the Esks to a Grey Cup win. The key to the defense was man-to-man secondary that boasted Dex McCoil, JC Sherritt, Otha Foster, Pat Watkins, Aaron Grymes and John Ojo. The ability to play man allowed Jones to run an attacking front seven and even blitz off the edge for 48 sacks good enough for 3rd best in the CFL.

    Then it happened, Jones left and the secondary scattered to the wind except for Sherritt and Watkins, with the later turning 34-years-old going into the 2016 season. With so many gaps in the secondary and a full on rebuild of the defense needed the Esks floundered in 2016. Ojo was injured in camp, Watkins struggled and so did Marcell Young. Both Cord Parks and Brandyn Thompson were parachuted in after the younger DB’s brought in simply could not grasp the zone coverages of the Eskies new scheme. The Esks dropped to 6th against the pass and 6th against the run, but even more importantly the team dropped to 8th in sacks in 2016.

    Coach Benevides continued the defensive rebuild in 2017 by redistributing the national ratio by making the WIL LB spot a national position. This allowed the Esks to move to an inside pocket collapsing pass rush and Da’Quan Bowers and Euclid Cummings were signed. At the same time the secondary was completely revamped. National 2nd rounder Arjen Colquhoun would be signed to play the field corner next to Thompson and Kenny Ladler. On the boundary side Aaron Grymes returned from the NFL part way through the season to play halfback and Johnny Adams was signed to play corner. Adam Konar ascended into a starters role at WLB with the ability to cover, tackle and blitz occasionally. The Esks jumped to 4th in sacks with mostly four-man pressure, 2nd against the pass, but still 8th against the rush.

    In 2018 the goal must be to continue to evolve the four-man pressure with the use of twists that allows new comer Alex Bazzie to swing inside and Bowers to swing outside while Sherritt or a newcomer like Ahmad Dixon shoots the gap created. Some may not know that Bowers and secondary year player Mike Moore can and have played both DT and DE. That is important to the Esks ability to run a decent twist as essentially Bowers, Bazzie and Moore can be interchanged to surprise the offensive line by doing the unexpected. The key to this more creative look will be Sherritt and Dixon who will be run stuffers and QB blitzing LB’s.

    On the opposite side of the line it is critical that the stay in your lane philosophy continues with well liked second year defensive end Kwaku Boateng who gets a vote of confidence to be the national edge setter. As Almondo Sewell continues to draw double coverage Boateng will be one-on-one with the LT and must find ways to flush the QB or RB back over to Bowers, Bazzie and Moore chaotic side of the line.

    The physicality of the nickel DB will be paramount in 2018, but this same player must be multi talented and be able to cover in space on the field side. Ahmad Dixon has already played this role at Baylor and in the NFL making him the front runner. However, don’t count out Alex Gray or Chris Edwards both big bodies and fast. Edwards also can return kicks and could be brought in on sub-packages or might outright win the camp battle.

    Most Esks fans expect Johnny Adams, Aaron Grymes, Neil King, Brandyn Thompson, and Arjen Colquhoun to be penciled in as starters and that is probably the case. However, the health of Neil King and Brandyn Thompson must be considered. With Thompson suffering a season-ending ruptured left Achilles then Forest Hightower who be considered the incumbent starter. Hightower could be pushed by veteran Buddy Jackson, newcomer Money Hunter and even Edwards who has also played the position. Neil King did make a comeback, but will be pushed by Josh Woodman, Jordan Hoover, and even recently selected Jordan Beaulieu.

    Coach Benevides continues to look for aggressive cover guys in his secondary that can read and break on the ball. The entire secondary success is predicated on two things, working as a unit and players that close quickly to pass defend. In 2017, the Esks had 57 pass defense and in 2016 the secondary had 50 both were up over 2015 which saw 43 pass defenses. Adams and Grymes is simply the best the Esks have at this and as such both should be expected to start. Of the newcomers Dixon, Hunter and Hoover all fit the bill as aggressive cover guys. So does recently selected Godfrey Onyeka, but Onyeka will be given time to grow into the corner role behind Colquhoun.

    What does all this mean? Expect Adams – Grymes – King (with Hoover taking over eventually) – Hightower (with Hunter taking over eventually) and Colquhoun in the secondary. The nickel DB will be Dixon with Edwards platooning playing next to Sherritt and Konar. This group should drive 60 pass defenses and 20 interceptions behind a defensive line that should push for 50 sacks of a twist with to Boateng, Sewell, Bowers and Bazzie as the starts on the front four.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,030
    vCash
    500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    That guy's got some good posts. Hope he joins this site soon.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  3. #3

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    I was on Cfl.Ca forums and read this had to post it.


    DPop13
    Rookie
    **


    Posts: 18
    Joined: Mar 27 2018, 09:14 PM
    Location: In The Empire





    May 12 2018, 02:12 PM



    In 2015, the Edmonton Eskimos passing defense was 2nd in yards and 1st in touchdowns given up. Against the rush the Eskies were 2nd in yards and 2nd in touchdowns surrendered. The Chris Jones schemed defense was widely accepted as one of the top two defenses and that defense led the Esks to a Grey Cup win. The key to the defense was man-to-man secondary that boasted Dex McCoil, JC Sherritt, Otha Foster, Pat Watkins, Aaron Grymes and John Ojo. The ability to play man allowed Jones to run an attacking front seven and even blitz off the edge for 48 sacks good enough for 3rd best in the CFL.

    Then it happened, Jones left and the secondary scattered to the wind except for Sherritt and Watkins, with the later turning 34-years-old going into the 2016 season. With so many gaps in the secondary and a full on rebuild of the defense needed the Esks floundered in 2016. Ojo was injured in camp, Watkins struggled and so did Marcell Young. Both Cord Parks and Brandyn Thompson were parachuted in after the younger DB’s brought in simply could not grasp the zone coverages of the Eskies new scheme. The Esks dropped to 6th against the pass and 6th against the run, but even more importantly the team dropped to 8th in sacks in 2016.

    Coach Benevides continued the defensive rebuild in 2017 by redistributing the national ratio by making the WIL LB spot a national position. This allowed the Esks to move to an inside pocket collapsing pass rush and Da’Quan Bowers and Euclid Cummings were signed. At the same time the secondary was completely revamped. National 2nd rounder Arjen Colquhoun would be signed to play the field corner next to Thompson and Kenny Ladler. On the boundary side Aaron Grymes returned from the NFL part way through the season to play halfback and Johnny Adams was signed to play corner. Adam Konar ascended into a starters role at WLB with the ability to cover, tackle and blitz occasionally. The Esks jumped to 4th in sacks with mostly four-man pressure, 2nd against the pass, but still 8th against the rush.

    In 2018 the goal must be to continue to evolve the four-man pressure with the use of twists that allows new comer Alex Bazzie to swing inside and Bowers to swing outside while Sherritt or a newcomer like Ahmad Dixon shoots the gap created. Some may not know that Bowers and secondary year player Mike Moore can and have played both DT and DE. That is important to the Esks ability to run a decent twist as essentially Bowers, Bazzie and Moore can be interchanged to surprise the offensive line by doing the unexpected. The key to this more creative look will be Sherritt and Dixon who will be run stuffers and QB blitzing LB’s.

    On the opposite side of the line it is critical that the stay in your lane philosophy continues with well liked second year defensive end Kwaku Boateng who gets a vote of confidence to be the national edge setter. As Almondo Sewell continues to draw double coverage Boateng will be one-on-one with the LT and must find ways to flush the QB or RB back over to Bowers, Bazzie and Moore chaotic side of the line.

    The physicality of the nickel DB will be paramount in 2018, but this same player must be multi talented and be able to cover in space on the field side. Ahmad Dixon has already played this role at Baylor and in the NFL making him the front runner. However, don’t count out Alex Gray or Chris Edwards both big bodies and fast. Edwards also can return kicks and could be brought in on sub-packages or might outright win the camp battle.

    Most Esks fans expect Johnny Adams, Aaron Grymes, Neil King, Brandyn Thompson, and Arjen Colquhoun to be penciled in as starters and that is probably the case. However, the health of Neil King and Brandyn Thompson must be considered. With Thompson suffering a season-ending ruptured left Achilles then Forest Hightower who be considered the incumbent starter. Hightower could be pushed by veteran Buddy Jackson, newcomer Money Hunter and even Edwards who has also played the position. Neil King did make a comeback, but will be pushed by Josh Woodman, Jordan Hoover, and even recently selected Jordan Beaulieu.

    Coach Benevides continues to look for aggressive cover guys in his secondary that can read and break on the ball. The entire secondary success is predicated on two things, working as a unit and players that close quickly to pass defend. In 2017, the Esks had 57 pass defense and in 2016 the secondary had 50 both were up over 2015 which saw 43 pass defenses. Adams and Grymes is simply the best the Esks have at this and as such both should be expected to start. Of the newcomers Dixon, Hunter and Hoover all fit the bill as aggressive cover guys. So does recently selected Godfrey Onyeka, but Onyeka will be given time to grow into the corner role behind Colquhoun.

    What does all this mean? Expect Adams – Grymes – King (with Hoover taking over eventually) – Hightower (with Hunter taking over eventually) and Colquhoun in the secondary. The nickel DB will be Dixon with Edwards platooning playing next to Sherritt and Konar. This group should drive 60 pass defenses and 20 interceptions behind a defensive line that should push for 50 sacks of a twist with to Boateng, Sewell, Bowers and Bazzie as the starts on the front four.
    I like it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    3,395
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Good post, the guy seems to have really dived into our defensive side of things over the last few years. I'm really hoping Bennys system begins to pay dividends because we really need more sacks/pics on defense. We had some hurries but we need to drop the qb for a loss and keep folks second and long. I think we dropped 4-5 clear pics last year and with a bit of a retooled secondary you know that folks will look to exploit that as much as they can. If we play a bunch of that soft zone crap again I think my head will explode! Guys like Nichols and Bowevil will pick you apart if they get any decent pocket protection.
    undefined

    The Moz'

  5. #5

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimoses View Post
    Good post, the guy seems to have really dived into our defensive side of things over the last few years. I'm really hoping Bennys system begins to pay dividends because we really need more sacks/pics on defense. We had some hurries but we need to drop the qb for a loss and keep folks second and long. I think we dropped 4-5 clear pics last year and with a bit of a retooled secondary you know that folks will look to exploit that as much as they can. If we play a bunch of that soft zone crap again I think my head will explode! Guys like Nichols and Bowevil will pick you apart if they get any decent pocket protection.
    The thing is though that last year the Esks gave up the second fewest passing yards in the league at 264 per game, only 10 yards more than Calgary who was in the top spot, and that was with a secondary that didn't play the same combination of players two weeks in a row all season long. I've heard from a couple of players now that what Benes scheme asks from it's DB's is unique, and fairly complicated, and I think there's a very specific type of player that he needs to fit his system, and even with the right guys it takes time to learn and to gel. I think you can see the progression over the two years that Benes been here, now the final stage of the evolution is to shore up that awful run defense, if they can do that then I think we could see a really solid defense here in year three of Benes tenure.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Within the Eskimos Empire
    Posts
    2,095
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Well folks the loss of Bowers today to retirement cannot be understated! However, it is as if Brock Sunderland knew and was prepared.

    No going to lie this is a shock and creates a massive question mark for the Esks between Almondo Sewell and Alex Bazzie. Bowers signed an extension through to 2019 just two months ago. What prompted the change of heart is a mystery, but it does make Brock Sunderland look like a genius in preparing the depth by trading Odell Willis.

    Now full disclosure, I hated the Willis trade as I thought he had more to give and the leadership loss would be impactful. I warmed to it somewhat when Alex Bazzie was signed. I told myself that Bowers would be the focus of the pass rush and that as important as Bazzie was, the interior of the like was set between Bowers and Sewell. Then I took the time to look at the other two defensive tackles and I thought we have two other defensive ends dressed up as tackles. My thoughts were at the time that both Mike Moore and Jake Ceresna though different were equally talented. Given time one could replace Bowers when he took another NFL shot and surely he would, but that was two years away and they would be given time to develop.

    Surprise! Now the Bowers departure means that one of Mike Moore and Jake Ceresna need to own the position.

    Mike Moore had 3 sacks in 5 games last year with the Esks and will now push to be the guy at DT. At 6' 4" 264 pounds Moore is undersized for the DT position but oversized for the DE position in the CFL. While at Virginia Tech Moore started 9 games in his last season caulking up 3 sacks, 11.5 tackles for a loss, 2 pass defenses and 3 forced fumbles.

    Jake Ceresna came over from Ottawa in the Odell Willis trade and is most similar in size of Da'Quan Bowers. Ceresna is 6' 5" 295 pounds and he had 2 sacks in 14 games with the Red Blacks last year. Ceresna had a shot with the Jets. While in the NCAA in 33 games he recorded 63 tackles, 38 solo, in 12 starts. He led the Red Dragons with 9.5 sacks and 18.5 total tackles for loss, was second on the squad with 17 quarterback hurries, and also finished with six pass breakups, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.



    I have to bet on Jake Ceresna to fill the void and the trade now looks like Sundy had some sort of a crystal ball. Why Ceresna? Fit. He fits the role that the Esks want at this position to play and Moore can play both DE and DT, so he can be used to backup and platoon with Bazzie and Ceresna.

    Does the departure of Bowers impact the pass rush? Yes it does! Bowers was poised to be a double digit pocket collapsing nightmare for CFL QB’s, but now we will never really know just how much damage he could have done to opposing offensive lines. Having typed that Ceresna has upside and has just gone through his rookie year to learn how to be a pro. At 23-years-old Ceresna has huge upside. The only question is when will he realize it. Esk fans hope it is this year not next year.
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

    Hervey is the right guy for G.M.

  7. #7

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by Lick My Cleats View Post
    Well folks the loss of Bowers today to retirement cannot be understated! However, it is as if Brock Sunderland knew and was prepared.

    No going to lie this is a shock and creates a massive question mark for the Esks between Almondo Sewell and Alex Bazzie. Bowers signed an extension through to 2019 just two months ago. What prompted the change of heart is a mystery, but it does make Brock Sunderland look like a genius in preparing the depth by trading Odell Willis.

    Now full disclosure, I hated the Willis trade as I thought he had more to give and the leadership loss would be impactful. I warmed to it somewhat when Alex Bazzie was signed. I told myself that Bowers would be the focus of the pass rush and that as important as Bazzie was, the interior of the like was set between Bowers and Sewell. Then I took the time to look at the other two defensive tackles and I thought we have two other defensive ends dressed up as tackles. My thoughts were at the time that both Mike Moore and Jake Ceresna though different were equally talented. Given time one could replace Bowers when he took another NFL shot and surely he would, but that was two years away and they would be given time to develop.

    Surprise! Now the Bowers departure means that one of Mike Moore and Jake Ceresna need to own the position.

    Mike Moore had 3 sacks in 5 games last year with the Esks and will now push to be the guy at DT. At 6' 4" 264 pounds Moore is undersized for the DT position but oversized for the DE position in the CFL. While at Virginia Tech Moore started 9 games in his last season caulking up 3 sacks, 11.5 tackles for a loss, 2 pass defenses and 3 forced fumbles.

    Jake Ceresna came over from Ottawa in the Odell Willis trade and is most similar in size of Da'Quan Bowers. Ceresna is 6' 5" 295 pounds and he had 2 sacks in 14 games with the Red Blacks last year. Ceresna had a shot with the Jets. While in the NCAA in 33 games he recorded 63 tackles, 38 solo, in 12 starts. He led the Red Dragons with 9.5 sacks and 18.5 total tackles for loss, was second on the squad with 17 quarterback hurries, and also finished with six pass breakups, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.



    I have to bet on Jake Ceresna to fill the void and the trade now looks like Sundy had some sort of a crystal ball. Why Ceresna? Fit. He fits the role that the Esks want at this position to play and Moore can play both DE and DT, so he can be used to backup and platoon with Bazzie and Ceresna.

    Does the departure of Bowers impact the pass rush? Yes it does! Bowers was poised to be a double digit pocket collapsing nightmare for CFL QB’s, but now we will never really know just how much damage he could have done to opposing offensive lines. Having typed that Ceresna has upside and has just gone through his rookie year to learn how to be a pro. At 23-years-old Ceresna has huge upside. The only question is when will he realize it. Esk fans hope it is this year not next year.
    Like I said in the other thread, I’m not yet convinced that this is the last we’ll see of Bowers, just have to wait and see if we hear anything else about this situation over the next little while.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Within the Eskimos Empire
    Posts
    2,095
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, I’m not yet convinced that this is the last we’ll see of Bowers, just have to wait and see if we hear anything else about this situation over the next little while.
    Hey Ben ... I agree this has the feeling of a family issue, likely Bowers needs to stay close to home for some reason and could be back. Then again maybe he just decided he is done with football. We just don't know.

    No matter why Bowers retired the Esks have to move on. One of Mike Moore and Jake Ceresna now have a chance to be the starter and prove they own it in the first 4-6 games.

    I really like Moore's abilities and flexibility to play inside (DT) and outside (DE). Moore has had time last year to digest the Esks schemes and playbook. For this reason, before the Bowers retirement I had Moore as a backup hybrid DT/DE spelling off both Bazzie and Bowers in certain packages for the first 1/3 of the season. That would mean, again before the Bowers retirement, Ceresna would start on the PR then platoon with Bowers from about game 6 onward. This would have allowed Ceresna to develop more in the Esks scheme. However, considering what has transpired I would bet Ceresna get's the starters gig for fit reasons and will have to grow into the position quickly. With Ceresna the scheme remains intact without significant adjustment.

    The key issue is that the Esks platoon at the DT pass rushing spot to keep players fresh, but with Moore being a little undersized he is more of a situational player. This is a bit of a disadvantage as the opposition can recognize the package and adjust their play calling accordingly. Hence what is most likely to happen is that Ceresna will play 80% of the downs for the first six games and will have to up his game on the pass rush. Does this take a toll on Ceresna by game twelve or fourteen and can Moore fill the void if necessary? I guess we have to wait and see, but it is likely.

    It seems clear now that Sundy brought Ceresna in for his potential, to fit the scheme as a pass rushing DT and because of his physical attributes being most like Bowers. Now that Bowers "retired" that has opened the door to Ceresna, but for scheme reasons the Esks must find another 290+ pounder to play on the interior of the line behind Ceresna and Sewell. Could Moore work? Yes, but the undersized backup at DT experiment has been tried before with mixed results.

    Remember players like Jabari Hunt and Sam Montgomery who were both 260+ pounders with talent, but just couldn’t get over the size difference. Not saying Moore is like either of these players and he did have 3 sacks in 5 games last year, but Brock Sunderland often has a backup plan to the backup plan and that means he has to be on the hunt for Bowers replacement. Once the replacement is found the door is shut on Bowers.

    One also has to consider Sundy paid a heavy price to acquire Ceresna as in Willis, a neg list player and 4th rounder which tells me that the Esks see Ceresna similar to a first rounder ranked of player. BTW Bowers was a 2nd rounder in the NFL draft and would clearly be a 1st rounder in the CFL. From a rating perspective and on paper the Esks believe Ceresna and Bowers are of the same level of talent and that means the clock is ticking on Bowers return. If he is going to unretire he needs to do so by game 3 or 4 or the Esks will have filled the gap and moved on without him.
    Last edited by Lick My Cleats; 05-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

    Hervey is the right guy for G.M.

  9. #9

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by Lick My Cleats View Post
    Hey Ben ... I agree this has the feeling of a family issue, likely Bowers needs to stay close to home for some reason and could be back. Then again maybe he just decided he is done with football. We just don't know.

    No matter why Bowers retired the Esks have to move on. One of Mike Moore and Jake Ceresna now have a chance to be the starter and prove they own it in the first 4-6 games.

    I really like Moore's abilities and flexibility to play inside (DT) and outside (DE). Moore has had time last year to digest the Esks schemes and playbook. For this reason, before the Bowers retirement I had Moore as a backup hybrid DT/DE spelling off both Bazzie and Bowers in certain packages for the first 1/3 of the season. That would mean, again before the Bowers retirement, Ceresna would start on the PR then platoon with Bowers from about game 6 onward. This would have allowed Ceresna to develop more in the Esks scheme. However, considering what has transpired I would bet Ceresna get's the starters gig for fit reasons and will have to grow into the position quickly. With Ceresna the scheme remains intact without significant adjustment.

    The key issue is that the Esks platoon at the DT pass rushing spot to keep players fresh, but with Moore being a little undersized he is more of a situational player. This is a bit of a disadvantage as the opposition can recognize the package and adjust their play calling accordingly. Hence what is most likely to happen is that Ceresna will play 80% of the downs for the first six games and will have to up his game on the pass rush. Does this take a toll on Ceresna by game twelve or fourteen and can Moore fill the void if necessary? I guess we have to wait and see, but it is likely.

    It seems clear now that Sundy brought Ceresna in for his potential, to fit the scheme as a pass rushing DT and because of his physical attributes being most like Bowers. Now that Bowers "retired" that has opened the door to Ceresna, but for scheme reasons the Esks must find another 290+ pounder to play on the interior of the line behind Ceresna and Sewell. Could Moore work? Yes, but the undersized backup at DT experiment has been tried before with mixed results.

    Remember players like Jabari Hunt and Sam Montgomery who were both 260+ pounders with talent, but just couldn’t get over the size difference. Not saying Moore is like either of these players and he did have 3 sacks in 5 games last year, but Brock Sunderland often has a backup plan to the backup plan and that means he has to be on the hunt for Bowers replacement. Once the replacement is found the door is shut on Bowers.

    One also has to consider Sundy paid a heavy price to acquire Ceresna as in Willis, a neg list player and 4th rounder which tells me that the Esks see Ceresna similar to a first rounder ranked of player. BTW Bowers was a 2nd rounder in the NFL draft and would clearly be a 1st rounder in the CFL. From a rating perspective and on paper the Esks believe Ceresna and Bowers are of the same level of talent and that means the clock is ticking on Bowers return. If he is going to unretire he needs to do so by game 3 or 4 or the Esks will have filled the gap and moved on without him.
    Agree with all of this. Looking at the roster I see a lot of DEs, but only Mondo and Ceresna as true DTs with Moore being the closest thing after them. It’d be nice to see one more big body come in to play in the middle. Recently released Brooks would seem like a perfect candidate to round out the rotation but we’ll have to wait and see what Brock has up his sleeve. If there is no subsequent move, that would lead me to believe the book isn’t closed on Bowers yet, and with him being so young it seems unlikely that he is simply just ‘done with football’. One things for sure, the move to get Ceresna looks even better now.

  10. #10
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,209
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    In 2 seasons our team's biggest strengths have become our most glaring uncertainty along the LOS
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  11. #11

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    In 2 seasons our team's biggest strengths have become our most glaring uncertainty along the LOS
    We’re in a bit of a transition period on both sides for sure, it had to happen eventually, hopefully the young guys are ready to step up and fill the void.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 05-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Within the Eskimos Empire
    Posts
    2,095
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    We’re in a bit of a transition period on both sides for sure, it had to happen eventually, hopefully the young guys are ready to step up and fill the void.
    Jake Ceresna looks good so far and Jason Carr brings some needed size at 6' 5" 302 pounds to backup Ceresna, but Mike Moore even if he is shorter and lighter has better strength and speed than Carr.

    Name: Jason Carr (Transfer from Tennessee)
    College: West Georgia Number: 11
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 302
    Position: DT Pos2: DE
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2017
    40 Time Range: 5.32-5.33
    20 Yrd Dash: 3.19
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
    Vertical Jump: 23 1/2
    Broad Jump: 08'03"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 5.07
    3-Cone Drill: 8.19

    Name: Mike Moore
    College: Virginia Number: 32
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 269
    Position: DE Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2016
    Dates: 03/15/16
    Height: 6032
    Weight: 269
    40 Time Range: 4.91-4.9
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.82
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 28
    Vertical Jump: 29
    Broad Jump: 09'05"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
    3-Cone Drill: 7.60

    Name: Jake Ceresna
    College: Cortland State Number: 90
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 291
    Position: DT Pos2: DE
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2016
    40 Low: 4.90 40 Time: 4.98 40 High: 5.08
    Projected Round: Stock: High: HPFA Low: PFA
    Rated number 53 out of 208 DT's
    40 Time Range: 4.96-5.00
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.81
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 35 <----- That's impressive! Not Almondo Sewell strength, but impressive.
    Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'07"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.54
    3-Cone Drill: 7.30

    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

    Hervey is the right guy for G.M.

  13. #13

    Re: / Evolution of the Eskimos Defense Almost Complete

    Hmmm, only 12 reps on the bench press is a little embarrassing for a 300 lb D lineman...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •