Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predict the standings 2018

vCash

Games Predict the standings 2018

Well, pre-season is pretty much in the books, so let's see how good your prediction game is. Kinda fun to read the predictions again at the end of the year. Always some major surprises.

Here are mine...first time ever that I'm picking the Esks to win the west.

1. Edmonton (13-5): Looking together and on a mission so far. A better team than last year with so many back from injury. No problems with the new receivers.
    2. Calgary (12-6): They'll be tough as always. They're strong across the lineup, and losses here and there won't make much difference.
    3. BC (9-9): Hervey's done well in the off-season, but it'll take a year for it to be truly his team. I don't see Jennings returning to top form.
    4. Winnipeg (8-10): They'll have a hole to climb out of after the first 4-6 weeks. Wonder if Nichols might be gone for longer than they say.
    5. Sask (6-12): They gambled on Collaros. Jury's still out, but so far it looks like they may have lost that bet.

1. Toronto (11-7): Ray is ageless. Two hot shot QB's waiting in the wings. Their win over the Stamps last year wasn't entirely a fluke.
    2. Hamilton (8-10): Manziel isn't the answer. Had a number of holes last year, and one guy won't fill them all.
    3. Ottawa (8-10): Meh.
    4. Montreal (6-12): Not as bad as everyone thinks, but not great. Willy's underrated, but not by much. Coaching chaos takes its toll.

Esks win the Cup at home over Ricky and friends.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Re: Predict the standings 2018

Good to see that we have fairly similar thoughts on the standings. I really feel that the Esks and Stamps will separate ourselves from the rest of the west moreso than the past few seasons.

Edmonton (13-5) Elite top end talent and the best depth we have had in years thanks to all of the injuries forcing backups in to starting roles. Should multiple injuries be a problem again, we seem able to withstand it *knock on wood*. Pray that Jason Maas doesn't make any more major coaching errors.
    Calgary (13-5) The class of the regular season for over a decade and I don't see that changing. They have gotten younger at some positions like the Esks, but I don't see them dropping off.
    BC (8-10) Slight improvement over last year with the changes Hervey has made. I also don't see Jennings returning to form and expect to see Lulay take over once healthy.
    Saskatchwan (7-11) Do any players stick around here more than 6 months? Jones seems to have too many hats and spends too much time chasing new shiny toys instead of building continuity with his personnel. Collaros doesn't last long as the starter before Jones starts playing musical QBs all season long.
    Winnipeg (6-12) I would have had Winnipeg up at 10-12 wins if the Nichols injury didn't happen. I'm calling BS on him being out only 4-6 weeks. Watch for them to make a move for someone's backup/3rd stringer at some point, but it will be too late to salvage the season.

Toronto (11-7) A Trestman coached team led by Ray in a weaker East division. What more is there to say?
    Ottawa (9-9) Harris is a decent starter, but I can't see them unseating the Argos in the East.
    Hamilton (8-10) A bit of a difficult schedule to start the year (5 games vs. west teams) leads to Masoli fizzling out and Manziel getting his chance early. What dumb thing will June Jones say/do next? I predict he doesn't last as head coach beyond this season.
    Montreal (6-12) Kavis relying on a passed around career backup in Willy isn't the way to success.

Playoffs:
    BC vs. Calgary
    Hamilton vs. Ottawa

Calgary vs. Edmonton
    Hamilton vs. Toronto

Toronto vs. Edmonton
    Last edited by esks123; 06-09-2018 at 07:06 PM.

vCash

West

Calgary (13-4-1) : They’ve got younger in some key spots. I think rb Terry Williams will be a break out player this season. Included their obligatory tie with Ottawa.
    Edmonton (13-5): I don’t think our offence will miss a beat from last year, but some concerns about our defensive line.
    Sask (9-9): Will still have a tough D but I’m not convinced on Collaros
    BC (7-11): Will show signs of future improvement but not happening over night
    Winnipeg (6-12): I don’t think they are being honest about Nichols health and their other qbs will get killed in the West.

East

Toronto (11-7)
    Hamilton (9-9)
    Ottawa (8-9-1)
    Montreal (4-14)

Playoffs

Edm over Sask
    Ham over Ott

Edm over Cal
    Tor over Ham

Edmonton vs Toronto in what I hope is a classic!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Not sure if it will happen, but here's what I want to have happen:

1. Edmonton - Most dominant season since 2015. AND we finally win the Labour Day Classic for the first time since 2011.
    2. Calgary - Dealing with self-doubt after the Grey Cup debacle, they put out a strong effort, but fail to finish 1st.
    3. BC - Jennings has a rebound year.
    4. Winnipeg - Nichols' injury costs them in the first few weeks, but they come back strong enough to vie for the crossover.
    5. Saskatchewan - The Collaros experiment blows up in their faces. But Jones is still the best GM ever.

1. Toronto - Rejuvenated Ricky looks to go out with a bang, which inspires the team to a strong season.
    2. Ottawa - Harris loses the reins to Davis by Week 6, who surprises many a'la James Franklin in 2015.
    3. Hamilton - Strong talent, but the added attention from Johnny Money and ET is more of a distraction than a benefit.
    4. Montreal - There have to be consequences...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

WEST

1. Calgary - with a healthy BLM and return of Rodgers to an already dangerous REC group makes them dangerous. Terry Willians at RB will become a household name and the Defense will get stronger as season goes.
    2. Edmonton - step with step with the Stamps all season. Reilly has another MVP type season and Duke Williams and Bryant Mitchell have 1000 yrd seasons. Defense gets stronger as season goes with Ladler returning for 2nd half.
    3. Sask - they leapfrog Winnipeg with the Nichols injury. Bridge replaces Collaros mid-season after a 4-4 start. They become stronger as season goes but big gap between them and top 2 in West.
    4. Winnipeg - loss of Nichols is huge and they can’t make up the difference in the standings. Nichols returns mid-season and puts pressure on Sask to hold on to 3rd.
    5. BC - with improved OL and better QB play and weapons at REC they might score 40 points but allow 46. Takes Hervey the season to construct the team he wants.

EAST

1. Toronto - Grey Cup Champions. Talent all over the roster and possible best coach in the business. Ricky Ray plays his last season on a strong note finishing it off in 2018 Grey Cup in Edmonton!!
    2. Hamilton - Jonny football takes over week 6 and becomes a very solid QB. Talented team that if they get on a roll could be a surprise team this season.
    3. Montreal - fights with Hammy all season for last playoff spot in east. They trade for Masoli at week 12 and they almost catch the Ticats for that spot.
    4. Ottawa - Harris takes a step back and they stumble all season.

PLAYOFFS

Edm over Sask
    Winn over Ham

Edm over Cal
    Tor over Winn

Edm over Tor 33-31 to win Grey Cup!!! 1 can dream....

vCash

I’m just waiting for boydos esks v Hamilton hc yearly prediction.......

vCash

WEST

Edmonton 13-5
    Calgary 11-7
    BC 9-9
    Saskatchewan 7-11
    Winnipeg 7-11

EAST

Toronto 11-7
    Hamilton 10-8
    Ottawa 7-11
    Montreal 6-12

WEST PLAYOFFS

Calgary def. BC
    Edmonton def. Calgary

EAST PLAYOFFS

Hamilton def. Ottawa
    Toronto def. Hamilton

GREY CUP

Edmonton Eskimos def. Toronto Argonauts
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

I'll take my stab at this:

1. Edmonton (12-6): Defence will be better but with Sask and BC also getting better, will be a tough division.
    2. Calgary (12-6): I wanted to pick them lower but until Huff is gone I cannot seem to pick them any worse than tied for first.
    3. Winnipeg (10-8): Are they telling the truth on nichols injury? With this prediction I'm saying they are.
    4. Sask (9-9): Not sold on collaros but they still will have a top end D. At some point they will figure out that the revolving door of players doesn't breed long term success.
    5. BC (8-10): Hervey will turn this team around but I doubt its a 1 year thing

1. Toronto (11-7): Great coaching and QB play = success
    2. Ottawa (9-9): the addition of Thorpe will get them a few defensive wins
    3. Hamilton (8-10): Anyone else sick of hearing about Manzeil yet?
    4. Montreal (2-16): No QB and a franchise that is making head scratcher after head scratcher, leads them to the basement.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Sorry guys

WEST:
    Calgary -always irritatingly strong
    Saskatchewan -all the cheating and steroid abuse finally pays off.
    Edmonton -not convinced on defence, Oline or especially our not so special teams
    Winnipeg -not sure Nichols makes it back in time to matter
    BC -definitely stronger this season but too much to fix in one year even for Ed

East:
    Ottawa
    Hamilton
    Toronto
    Montreal
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

Please delete your post quickly. You can get a large fine or jail time for drunken posting.
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash

I don't even want to do it cause what I think and what I hope are such polar opposites right now
    In Rod we trust

West

1) Edmonton - Top end Canadian talent, great depth across the board, continuity in the coaching staff, and the best QB in the league is a recipe for success in the CFL.
    2) Calgary - Should be a great battle between the Alberta teams all season long. They're going through a bit of a reloading phase but that shouldn't slow them down much, Huff knows what he's doing.
    3) BC - Hervey's done a great job beefing up the LOS and has brought in enough vet leadership to try and turn the culture in the locker room. I'm thinking Jackson will be a better OC than Jones and if Jenning faulters, they have former league MOP Travis Lulay waiting in the wings.
    4) Winnipeg - They have a good enough team to finish much higher but the loss of Nichols for a month or so really puts them behind the eight ball early.
    5) Sask - I honestly expected more out of CJ when he left here but it's starting to look like he's truly in over his head. Football is all about continuity and it doesn't appear Jones knows the meaning of the word, not to mention that OL is a mess, Collaros might be done, and I really don't think Bridge is the answer for them either.

East

1) Toronto - Trestman and Ricky with Franklin ready to step in should the need arise makes the reigning Grey Cup champs tough to beat in the East this year.
    2) Ottawa - Harris has never really inspired me but I think they are solid enough across the board to earn a home playoff game.
    3) Hamilton - Tillman teams are usually too full of mercenaries that are just there to collect a paycheck to ever really gain the cohesiveness you need to be a dominant team in football. We'll see if June Jones can pull them together in the midst of the Johnny football saga.
    4) Montreal - Roster has some real bright spots actually but you just can't win in this league with out great play from your QB, let's hope for Willy's sake that he proves everybody wrong.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 06-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.

vCash

I see a lot of parity this year. Edmonton's O-Line, Defensive seconadry and Special Teams are too concerning to give them the wishful-thinking W-L records I'm seeing in this thread. BC is too improved to ignore either.

West

Calgary 12-6
    BC 10-8
    Edmonton 10-8
    Winnipeg 8-10
    Sask 7-11

East

Toronto 11-7
    Ottawa 9-9
    Hamilton 8-10 (Manziel will be the starter by week 5)
    Montreal 6-12 (Reed gets fired by Labour Day)

I'll predict a BC - Ottawa Grey Cup.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I see a lot of parity this year. Edmonton's O-Line, Defensive seconadry and Special Teams are too concerning to give them the wishful-thinking W-L records I'm seeing in this thread. BC is too improved to ignore either.

West

Calgary 12-6
    BC 10-8
    Edmonton 10-8
    Winnipeg 8-10
    Sask 7-11

East

Toronto 11-7
    Ottawa 9-9
    Hamilton 8-10 (Manziel will be the starter by week 5)
    Montreal 6-12 (Reed gets fired by Labour Day)

I'll predict a BC - Ottawa Grey Cup.
    Curious as to why you think that? Only question on the OL is Kelly but given his pro experience and the fact that he was the best player available to us to play that position you have to think he's going to continue to improve. Secondary of Adams/Grymes/King(or Wodman or Beuliau)/Hightower/Coquhoun might be the best opening day secondary we've lined up in years, and the ST's took a turn late in the year and started to look dominant down the stretch, almost as if a flip switched and guys finally figure out what McDirmid has been trying to accomplish all along.

Not trying to crap all over your opinion of the team, I'm just interested as I see things a bit differently.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Curious as to why you think that? Only question on the OL is Kelly but given his pro experience and the fact that he was the best player available to us to play that position you have to think he's going to continue to improve. Secondary of Adams/Grymes/King(or Wodman or Beuliau)/Hightower/Coquhoun might be the best opening day secondary we've lined up in years, and the ST's took a turn late in the year and started to look dominant down the stretch, almost as if a flip switched and guys finally figure out what McDirmid has been trying to accomplish all along.

Not trying to crap all over your opinion of the team, I'm just interested as I see things a bit differently.
    Not directed at me but I really enjoy the banter

I just don't believe we are as strong on either line as last year, I am convinced the CFL game is won on the lines.
    LT would appear to be a giant downgrade, and too many important losses on D line for my comfort level.

I see our special teams coach as a super weak link,IMHO the worst in the league. Maas seems content to continue the status quo there, my only real criticism of him actually.

Believe me I want to be wrong, maybe I'm betting against the Eskimos so I don't jinx them.
    Last edited by Eskiman; 06-11-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: reading comprehension issues on my part

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post

I just don't believe we are as strong on either line as last year, I am convinced the CFL game is won on the lines.
    LT would appear to be a giant downgrade, and too many important losses on D line for my comfort level.

I see our special teams coach as a super weak link,IMHO the worst in the league. Maas seems content to continue the status quo there, my only real criticism of him actually.

Believe me I want to be wrong, maybe I'm betting against the Eskimos so I don't jinx them.
    Those are the things that concern me as well I'm not at all convinced our tackles can hold up and frankly every time we punt the ball I hold my breath. Tuck was decent last year too on coverages and now he's gone so I don't see that going to improve. Our Dline worries me as well I don't know they can get pressure with 4. Maybe I just worry too much but I agree if you aren't solid on the line your skill players don't mean anything
    In Rod we trust

vCash

WEST
    1. Edmonton Eskimos (12-6): Mike Reilly will be on a mission.
    2. Calgary Stampeders (11-7): The season will depend on the health of their quarterback.
    3. BC Lions (10-8): Wally makes the playoffs for his final year. The rebuild begins.
    4. Saskatchewan Roughriders (9-9): It will be a rollercoaster ride for Chris Jones and company.
    5. Winnipeg Blu Bombers (9-9): Despite quarterback issues to start the season, Winnipeg is a solid team.

EAST
    1. Toronto Argonauts (11-7): Lots of wins against a weak Eastern division.
    2. Ottawa Redblacks (9-9): New DC will help them pick up some wins.
    3. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (6-12): Lots of talent, but lots of holes in the roster
    4. Montreal Alouettes (4-14): Will Kavis be the first to be fired?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post

Me too, that's the beauty of this forum because you have a bunch of people who are all passionate about the Esks but all see things from a different perspective, makes for some interesting discussions.

I couldn't agree more about the importance of your O and D lines. Brock said the other day that Quarterbacking, Kicking, and Canadians were his keys to success in the CFL, I would add LOS play to that list. On the Dline, we had to bite the bullet and get younger, on paper, Bazzie/Sewell/Ceresna/Boetang looks like a good group, as for the Oline, I'm not worried about the interior three. Sorenson and O'Donnel are anchors and Beard should be ready going into his forth year now. It's the tackles that are a question mark right now, Figs to Kelly looks like a downgrade, but Figs wasn't coming back and the Esks had no choice but to move on. Kelly with his four years of pro football experience and two years in Maas' system, was likely a better option than any rookie or available FA who would have a steep learning curve while trying to keep the leagues MOP upright. As for Draheim, again he's got experience in this league, which is what Maas wanted, but I can't say I'm a fan of bringing in a guy who was a part of the leagues worst OL in BC last year, but I trust that Maas and Gibson will be able to get the most out of those guys.

Special Teams is a wait and see for me, as bad as they were for a season and a half, they were just as good coming down the stretch last season. I think we've got some real gunners on teams this year and Maas has spoken highly of McDirmids coaching schemes in the past so I'm waiting to see if they actually turned the corner for real last year and pick up where they left off. White and O'Neil give us a great kicking tandem and fingers crossed that Smith turns out to be the return threat we've been missing for years.

I'm not saying there are no question marks, but every team has some question marks at this point, and I think the positives on our roster far outweigh the negatives.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 06-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.

vCash

I'm not offended, mate. I just don't know that Grymes is the same Grymes that we had a few years back. Our secondary and O-Line were both terrible last year and I haven't seen significant upgrades. Plus, there's our team's progress in relation to BC.

edit: To clarify...the other teams get to play too. Wpg got 2 extra losses from me for not having Matt for the first 3rd of the season. BC is improved and I see Calgary as a half step back. I still see Edmonton in the playoffs. Just not hosting.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 06-11-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I'm not offended, mate. I just don't know that Grymes is the same Grymes that we had a few years back. Our secondary and O-Line were both terrible last year and I haven't seen significant upgrades. Plus, there's our team's progress in relation to BC.

edit: To clarify...the other teams get to play too. Wpg got 2 extra losses from me for not having Matt for the first 3rd of the season. BC is improved and I see Calgary as a half step back. I still see Edmonton in the playoffs. Just not hosting.
    Fair enough, although our OL gave up the fewest sacks in the league and our secondary gave up the second fewest passing yards after Calgary so I'm not sure I agree with you there. Our problem last year was run defense, we were abysmal in that department and that's where I'll be looking for the most improvement this season.

vCash

Fair enough, although our OL gave up the fewest sacks in the league and our secondary gave up the second fewest passing yards after Calgary so I'm not sure I agree with you there. Our problem last year was run defense, we were abysmal in that department and that's where I'll be looking for the most improvement this season.
    x2 on this one. Will the return of JC override the losses we had on our Dline interior? How are Cresna and Moore against the run? Will Edwards be a suitable replacement for Ladler? Those are all questions I'll be looking for answers to over the first third of the season.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

You guys are really off on the incredible Blue Bombers!

WEST
    1. Edmonton Eskimos (12-6): Lost some names, but all around solid.
    2. BOMBERS! (12-6): You guys have no idea what we've got on D now.... Would have had us an easy number one with Nichols.
    3. Calgary (10-8): luck out on some weak other teams. Have finally had more 1 year turn-over than they can handle, and Mitchell's brain is spiralling. much worse in 2019.
    4. B.C. Lions (8-10): Turning around, but not there yet.
    5. Saskatchewan Roughriders (6-12): decent D, but thin depth everywhere and Collaros can't play. Might depend on how long they stick with him.

EAST
    1. Toronto Argonauts (12-6): PLaying crap in the East +Trestman.
    2. Ottawa Redblacks (10-8): They keep managing fine, tired of predicting otherwise (asterisk if Harris is not really healthy)
    3. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (6-12): That 'great' 2nd half was wins against teams that didn't make the play-offs or had injured QBs, mostly, once again worse than pundits think.
    4. Montreal Alouettes (3-15): I think I had too many wins left when I got here, but went over their schedule with my wife, and 3 seems on target. No coach, no GM, and no real QB. sad.....
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

I'm not saying there are no question marks, but every team has some question marks at this point, and I think the positives on our roster far outweigh the negatives.
    Oh sure I agree, just to be clear after last years injury show I have great confidence in our GM and Coaching staff. (Except McDiarmid)
    Last edited by Eskiman; 06-12-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    You guys are really off on the incredible Blue Bombers!

WEST
    1. Edmonton Eskimos (12-6): Lost some names, but all around solid.
    2. BOMBERS! (12-6): You guys have no idea what we've got on D now.... Would have had us an easy number one with Nichols.
    3. Calgary (10-8): luck out on some weak other teams. Have finally had more 1 year turn-over than they can handle, and Mitchell's brain is spiralling. much worse in 2019.
    4. B.C. Lions (8-10): Turning around, but not there yet.
    5. Saskatchewan Roughriders (6-12): decent D, but thin depth everywhere and Collaros can't play. Might depend on how long they stick with him.

EAST
    1. Toronto Argonauts (12-6): PLaying crap in the East +Trestman.
    2. Ottawa Redblacks (10-8): They keep managing fine, tired of predicting otherwise (asterisk if Harris is not really healthy)
    3. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (6-12): That 'great' 2nd half was wins against teams that didn't make the play-offs or had injured QBs, mostly, once again worse than pundits think.
    4. Montreal Alouettes (3-15): I think I had too many wins left when I got here, but went over their schedule with my wife, and 3 seems on target. No coach, no GM, and no real QB. sad.....
    I had the Bombers in the mix with Calgary and Edmonton for first place but I think the possibility of losing a few games while Nichols is out could be all it takes to fall out of a home playoff spot. That said, once Nichols is healthy I think you guys have as good a shot as anybody to make a cup run.

vCash

West
    1. Bombers - Awesome D, Awesome Running Game, Nichols out hurts (13-5)
    2. Stamps - Still a top tier team but losing a step (12-6)
    3. Esks - Not convinced they can protect the QB or rush the QB (10-8)
    4. Sask - Collaros sucks but their D is good (10-8)
    5. BC - Jennings still sucks (5-13)

East
    1. Toronto - Stacked (14-4)
    2. Hamilton - With or without Manziel very good team (11-7)
    3. Ottawa - Regressing (5-13)
    4. Montreal - I'd call them a dumpster fire but that woudl be an insult to dumpster fires (1-17)
    In Rod we trust

vCash

West
    1. Saskatchewan - Because I said so, that's why
    2. Edmonton - Mostly because I like watching good football in person
    3. Calgary - I'm sick of these clowns. ABC. You know what? Screw it, I'm changing this pick to Winnipeg - Sorry about your QBs
    4. Calgary - They're missing out on the crossover too.
    5. BC - The Whitecaps are crap in the midfield

East
    1. Toronto - They're lucky they play in the east
    2. Ottawa - I hope I get invited to the annual Labour Day "Wives and Girlfriends BBQ"
    3. Hamilton - Dramaaaaa
    4. Montreal - What you don't understand is the business is cyclical.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    West
    1. Saskatchewan - Because I said so, that's why
    2. Edmonton - Mostly because I like watching good football in person
    3. Calgary - I'm sick of these clowns. ABC. You know what? Screw it, I'm changing this pick to Winnipeg - Sorry about your QBs
    4. Calgary - They're missing out on the crossover too.
    5. BC - The Whitecaps are crap in the midfield

East
    1. Toronto - They're lucky they play in the east
    2. Ottawa - I hope I get invited to the annual Labour Day "Wives and Girlfriends BBQ"
    3. Hamilton - Dramaaaaa
    4. Montreal - What you don't understand is the business is cyclical.
    Good stuff, maybe instead of Johnny Football his name should be Johnny Drama.

vCash

As for Draheim, again he's got experience in this league, which is what Maas wanted, but I can't say I'm a fan of bringing in a guy who was a part of the leagues worst OL in BC last year, but I trust that Maas and Gibson will be able to get the most out of those guys.

You might want to study up a bit on these things. Last time Draheim played for BC Chris Jones was the Eskimo coach on the GC winning team. Draheim hasn't played for BC since 2015.

vCash

Esks win the west,

Esks win the cup

That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    You might want to study up a bit on these things. Last time Draheim played for BC Chris Jones was the Eskimo coach on the GC winning team. Draheim hasn't played for BC since 2015.
    Oh my bad, maybe it was Palmer I was thinking of?

That makes me feel a little better about Draheim lol.