Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs. Blue Bombers - GDT

vCash

Games Eskimos vs. Blue Bombers - GDT

Here we go, ladies and gentlemen. 2018 is ours for the taking!

Winnipeg depth chart up first.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs. Blue Bombers - GDT

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Backfield is definitely green going into this one. Yikes.

And receiver depth is just about as minimal as you can go here.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

That's a scary Bomber Dline , especially the DE's. Made even better with Bighill backing them up in the middle. We'll see what our OT's are made of. Their Oline might be a little weaker with the run blocking without Bond at G this year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Cripes we're gonna need to put up a lot of points
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Our secondary is razor thin. McKnight, Taylor, Hunter and Hoover is weak as we have fielded that I can remember. Granted a few of these players may surprise, but that is three raw rookies and and second year player on the corner all at once. Nichols may want to play even on one leg... From what I can tell we have 8 National starters for this game. Hoover, King, Konar, Boetang, Beard, Sorenson, O'Donnell, and FB/WR option. Wonder if that is the best way to manage the ratio this week? I see that Hightower is listed as a back-up but expect to see him on the field a lot with this group.

Im not as confident with this game as I was a week ago. No Grymes, Colquhoun and Adams is going to hurt. Our two tackles better come to play. That Winn defense is the real deal IMHO.

vCash

Well now it makes even more sense why the Esks decided not to keep Thompson and put him on the 6 game. They haven't played a single game yet and they already have 7 guys on the 6 game. Wonderful. They better pray they get some pressure from the Dline because that secondary does not look good. Thank god it's a rookie QB but at the same time the offense better put up points. But in saying that, the Oline doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

It sure doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the secondary when the Esks cut McKnight because I assume that means he didn't win even a back ups job, then a few days later he's back and starting. If I am the Bombers I am going after McKnight and Hoover early and often.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-13-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

What does GDT mean?

Seriously though, I'm pretty optimistic. Might just be start of year rosiness, but I see a lot of pressure on MR. If the offence plays within itself, we can grind out a win and set ourselves up for 4-2 when Matt is back!
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Question:

If Draheim is considered to be the better Tackle and beat Kelly for the LT position, then is their a big drop off between Kelly at RT and moving Ruby to RT. Ruby has played tackle before and if the drop off between Kelly and Ruby not significant I would consider starting Ruby at RT and have 4 Nationals on the OL. That would allow us some roster flexibility on the ratio. Maybe Kelly is hands down the better player and then I completely understand.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    What does GDT mean?

Seriously though, I'm pretty optimistic. Might just be start of year rosiness, but I see a lot of pressure on MR. If the offence plays within itself, we can grind out a win and set ourselves up for 4-2 when Matt is back!
    Game Day Thread
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ffs, both our starting CB’s on the 6-game IR? I knew that both had missed the last week or so of TC, but this is ridiculous.
    BS had better be scouting the waiver wire for replacements or else it’s going to be a f’n disaster back there. And we can’t afford to be without Grymes for very long either....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    What does GDT mean?

You should be man. I am not liking the Esks Oline vs the Bombers Dline what so ever. Kelly is a turnstyle.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Our secondary is razor thin. McKnight, Taylor, Hunter and Hoover is weak as we have fielded that I can remember. Granted a few of these players may surprise, but that is three raw rookies and and second year player on the corner all at once. Nichols may want to play even on one leg... From what I can tell we have 8 National starters for this game. Hoover, King, Konar, Boetang, Beard, Sorenson, O'Donnell, and FB/WR option. Wonder if that is the best way to manage the ratio this week? I see that Hightower is listed as a back-up but expect to see him on the field a lot with this group.

Im not as confident with this game as I was a week ago. No Grymes, Colquhoun and Adams is going to hurt. Our two tackles better come to play. That Winn defense is the real deal IMHO.
    Taylor has played parts of 2 seasons in Ottawa so he’s not a raw rookie.....
    This seemingly smacks of piss poor roster management by BS. He’s known for well over a week that Adams & Colqhoun were injured & unavailable but yet made no efforts to bring in any replacements after cutdown day from other clubs.
    Last edited by writfiler; 06-13-2018 at 09:45 AM.

vCash

Game Day Thread
    hmm..... And when is the game?
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Taylor has played parts of 2 seasons in Ottawa so he’s not a raw rookie.....
    This seemingly smacks of piss poor roster management by BS. He’s known for well over a week that Adams & Colqhoun were injured & unavailable but yet made no efforts to bring in any replacements after cutdown day from other clubs.
    Not picking on you specifically but:
    Which DB who wasn't good enough to make the teams ranked below us would you like?
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    Not picking on you specifically but:
    Which DB who wasn't good enough to make the teams ranked below us would you like?
    I’ll have to look at the lists & let you know! Perhaps my frustrations are getting the best of me but....
    Edwards can also play DB, but then who plays at SLB in his place?
    Are who are the 2 on the 46 GR who don’t dress? Maybe between Robinson, Allen, Normand?

vCash

I'm sure there would be a lot more confidence if even Grymes was back there for game one. This will be a test for sure. Hopefully we shut down the run and bring some pressure.
    I'd expect Andrew Harris to get a lot of dump off passes today.

I'm baffled as to how we get so many injuries to start the year again - especially on D, and especially in the D-backfield. Is there something (not) going on with conditioning that is having an impact, or just bad luck? I suspect if Nichols was playing tonight, we would be in serious trouble. We have a good chance to win Thursday, but we really need our offense to take it to them.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I suspect if Nichols was playing tonight, we would be in serious trouble.
    We'd be in even more trouble if he was playing tomorrow night.

On a more serious note, the last time we saw a secondary this green to open a season was 2013, where the Riders chased us out of our own stadium. That was a seriously yucky day.

Really hope that tomorrow has a much better ending.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    We'd be in even more trouble if he was playing tomorrow night.
    Did I mention I'm from the future

vCash

I'm baffled as to how we get so many injuries to start the year again - especially on D, and especially in the D-backfield. Is there something (not) going on with conditioning that is having an impact, or just bad luck? I suspect if Nichols was playing tonight, we would be in serious trouble. We have a good chance to win Thursday, but we really need our offense to take it to them.
    I don’t believe that the injuries to Adams & Colqhoun occurred in game, but rather in TC/practice. That said, it doesn’t make it any easier to handle. Both guys missed significant time last season, so here we go again. Perhaps they’ll be less than 6 games, but who knows?

vCash

From the depth chart the thing that scares me is only one back up olineman. Our secondary looks scary dubious, the dline better have a whale of a game.

vCash

Should point out that the gap in our depth chart is Flanders not being on it. We are hoping around here that Demski is going to be used a bit like Flanders was last year for LaPo to mess with people, but....

Leggett out is no surprise, just started real practice, for interest's sake, he will be likely be playing Half-Back when he is healthy, leaving Fenner at LB.
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

I'm sure there would be a lot more confidence if even Grymes was back there for game one. This will be a test for sure. Hopefully we shut down the run and bring some pressure.
    I'd expect Andrew Harris to get a lot of dump off passes today.

My question re injuries.. Is we only had 7 padded practices all precseason... this is supposed to avoid injury..

I’m baffled why so many of our guys are 6 gamed..

And I’ve never seen an offence look so thin at wr.... damn

- - - Updated - - -

Did I mention I'm from the future
    Did we win?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    From the depth chart the thing that scares me is only one back up olineman. Our secondary looks scary dubious, the dline better have a whale of a game.
    We actually dressed only one backup for the Oline a lot last year. Both playoff games we did it also, with Ruby being the backup. Agree that it will likely bite us in the butt sometime. I guess they figure both Ruby and M'OD can play T and Beard can also play C if Sorenson gets hurt. Possibly not the wisest strategy, maybe it gets another ST player in the game.

vCash

So for the opening game, the esks have all four of their projected starters from two weeks ago not playing? Despite not playing their starters more than a quarter in the one exhibition game they had almost three weeks ago?

How could two starters sustain 6 week injuries in practices with no pads, and a third starter be dinged up enough that he is going to be a backup?

They must have known a few days ago that these guys would be injured, why didnt they bring in a veteran to help all the rookies? Toronto got a former all star (cant remember the name) from Hamilton for a 7th round draft pick.

Is Colqhoun made out of glass? he seems to be injured more than he plays.

Despite Winnipeg's rookie qb, i am seriously concerned we will lose this game unless the rookies play above their known level of abillity. I believe many of them dressed for the game where this same rookie qb went 10/10 and torched all these rookies over and over again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    My question re injuries.. Is we only had 7 padded practices all precseason... this is supposed to avoid injury..

I’m baffled why so many of our guys are 6 gamed..

And I’ve never seen an offence look so thin at wr.... damn

- - - Updated - - -

Did we win?
    you dont think Derel Walker and Vidal Hazelton is a good set of wide receivers? they are both absolute studs.

its the db's that should be causing swearing and sleepless nights if I am Maas.

vCash

Did we win?
    Biff Tannen says Sean Whyte with a late field goal to seal the deal.

By my count... only 21 Nationals listed; looks like we'll be sitting two Internationals. My guess is one of the DE's and one of the receivers. I don't think we can afford to spread the defensive backfield too thin. They are probably going to need more rotation than our receivers.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 06-13-2018 at 11:14 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    you dont think Derel Walker and Vidal Hazelton is a good set of wide receivers? they are both absolute studs.

its the db's that should be causing swearing and sleepless nights if I am Maas.
    I think we have the best wr Corp in the league...

vCash

A couple of months ago, I voiced concerns about the Esks roster and the departures. I was roasted, called a Sunderland hater and told to relax. Going into game 1.
    - The secondary looks insanely thin. Grymes is out for family reasons. Who knows when he will be back. Hopefully it will be next week. They lose Adams and Colqhoun to injury somehow in practice. McKnight who is a raw rookie and who got cut because he wasn't good enough, is now a starter. Hoover is a second year Canadian who's starting and is backed up by a raw rookie. Hunter is a raw rookie.
    - At least the linebackers look solid.
    - Dline has questions marks all over it as it's been revamped but didn't look that good in preseason.
    - The Oline didn't look too hot all preseason and they had to move Kelly to RT tackle because he was so lousy. Draheim hasn't impressed me much so their tackles look suspect to me.
    - The American starters at receiver look fine but after that, I don't know. Their Canadian receivers look brutal. Way worse than last year.
    - The running backs look strong but they better be able to pass block because I think the Esks will need it. Running game wise, if they ever get a hole, they should be great. But will they get a hole when the tackles are getting beat repeatedly?

I am trying not to panic and I still want to see what happens but from the eye test, I am not liking what I am seeing and having 7 guys on the 6 game when all you have done is practice, doesn't help things.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-13-2018 at 11:18 AM.

vCash

I think we have the best wr Corp in the league...
    I'd agree. I think there are guys on our PR who could be on the 46 of other teams.

vCash

Test to our Canadian depth with Colquhoun out. We don't have 8 starter quality Canadians, so you have to dress a backup somewhere (Hoover at CB, or Boateng at DE).