Thread: Canada/USA/Mexico awarded 2026 World Cup!

vCash

Canada Canada/USA/Mexico awarded 2026 World Cup!

The biggest single-sport spectacle in the world is coming to Canada! Woo!!!

At the moment, they're saying ten games in Canada, and Edmonton is one of the three host cities...so probably 2-3 games. The bid promised a natural grass surface in CW. How's this going to work? Will it be permanent?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Re: Canada/USA/Mexico awarded 2026 World Cup!

Assuming we don't qualify in 2022 (a safe assumption based on our history), this will be our second appearance ever and first in 40 years. Hopefully we score a goal this time. Will we be the first host nation ever to not make it out of the group stage?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    The biggest single-sport spectacle in the world is coming to Canada! Woo!!!

At the moment, they're saying ten games in Canada, and Edmonton is one of the three host cities...so probably 2-3 games. The bid promised a natural grass surface in CW. How's this going to work? Will it be permanent?
    Not likely permanent, but that would be cool for that season anyways.

If they want shear stadium size, then we should get 3 games easy. Maybe Montreal builds a new stadium for a future MLB team now, and can host a big event like this too?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Assuming we don't qualify in 2022 (a safe assumption based on our history), this will be our second appearance ever and first in 40 years. Hopefully we score a goal this time. Will we be the first host nation ever to not make it out of the group stage?
    Yes,
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

South Africa didn't move on.

We might be the lowest ranked team to compete though. Right now we're nestled between Lebanon and Curacao, which is not a country.

vCash

We don't need to put in grass again, do we? Didn't FIFA approve some version of turf as suitable?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    We don't need to put in grass again, do we? Didn't FIFA approve some version of turf as suitable?
    Several articles I've read today talk about CW needing a natural surface. Here's one (near the end):

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...p-through.html

vCash

This is exciting for Edmonton. Likely 2-3 games. I would expect Canada would be involved in one game in each city. Hopefully they get a group with some higher profile countries. Not gonna make it out of the group anyways so I would love to see a team like England or Germany play in Edmonton.

vCash

They say there are 23 proposed cities, but only 16 will make the final cut, so Edmonton isn't guaranteed. The size of Edmonton's stadium is a plus, and our previous success in hosting other FIFA events, but don't start counting your chickens just yet.

vCash

If we host 3 games, DDS will attend 3 games.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

They say there are 23 proposed cities, but only 16 will make the final cut, so Edmonton isn't guaranteed. The size of Edmonton's stadium is a plus, and our previous success in hosting other FIFA events, but don't start counting your chickens just yet.
    I remember seeing Brazil play Canada back in 1994 at Commonwealth, just before Brazil went on to the USA World Cup that year. The game, and the crowd, were spectacular. I believe the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

vCash

Yeah, don't really care who is playing, though obviously hope to see Canada at least once.

One of my biggest regrets is being in Los Angeles during the semi-final in 1994, and not paying the scalpers $250 because I was a broke university student at the time. Not going to miss an opportunity like this again.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember seeing Brazil play Canada back in 1994 at Commonwealth, just before Brazil went on to the USA World Cup that year. The game, and the crowd, were spectacular. I believe the game ended in a 1-1 tie.
    You are correct. I was there, the atmosphere was electric. When Eddie Berdusco scored...well, watch for yourself in spectacular high-def:

vCash

I believe that it is a FIFA rule that the Men's World Cup must all be played on grass. This was one of the complaints from the women when the Women's World Cup was held in Canada, as they do not have the same rule.

I do hope that Edmonton gets some games and they keep the grass in for at least the full season if not longer (we can only dream)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

If Commonwealth gets grass for a football season, Uncle Bobby will attend all home games for that season.

vCash

It could be Singapore vs Barbados and I wouldn’t miss it! This is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity, I really hope Edmonton is selected as a host city.

Should point out that Canada is currently 80th in the world. Qatar who is hosting 2022 is 101st. Even Russia is only 66th right now. With 8 years to prepare and the certain increase in soccer interest from those currently in their early teens who could play in this, I can confidently say that Canada will....score a goal this time!

Jokes aside, I’m very excited. Those who follow soccer know we have one of the most exciting young players in Canadian history in Alphonso Davies. He is showing signs of being an incredible player and will be 26 when we host.

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    I believe that it is a FIFA rule that the Men's World Cup must all be played on grass. This was one of the complaints from the women when the Women's World Cup was held in Canada, as they do not have the same rule.

I do hope that Edmonton gets some games and they keep the grass in for at least the full season if not longer (we can only dream)
    The official rule is all World Cup games (Mens or Womens) must be played on the same surface, whether grass or fake stuff... but they'll never make the men play on fake stuff. When we hosted the Women, Moncton has to tear out their grass and put in field turf cause that's what everyone else had

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    South Africa didn't move on.

We might be the lowest ranked team to compete though. Right now we're nestled between Lebanon and Curacao, which is not a country.
    I think Russia and Qatar might been on that list with South Africa too

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, don't really care who is playing, though obviously hope to see Canada at least once.

One of my biggest regrets is being in Los Angeles during the semi-final in 1994, and not paying the scalpers $250 because I was a broke university student at the time. Not going to miss an opportunity like this again.

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct. I was there, the atmosphere was electric. When Eddie Berdusco scored...well, watch for yourself in spectacular high-def:

Berdusco! That was glorious... just about caused a national state of emergency in Brazil too
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Gotta like Edmonton's chances of hosting given the size of the stadium (and FIFA wanting $$$). I doubt Calgary will have their act together in 10 years and have a Stadium ready, Vancouver declined - leaving Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg & Ottawa. It'll be an added bonus if the real grass can make its return to Commonwealth.

In 10 years it'll also be interesting to see how the men's team will improve given the soccer academies with MLS clubs (at least) and others.

And unlike Qatar, the World Cup will be played at the right time of the year - not interrupting season play with a tourney in the fall.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Calgary isn't going to build a new stadium just to host one or two games. McMahon wouldn't be up to FIFA standards so forget Calgary. Edmonton just needs to install grass. In the 8 years until this event takes place Edmonton will definitely have the infrastructure to do this. I expect 3 games in Edmonton.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

They already had all the cities bid and whatnot, Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton were the only ones that were approved and/or continued through. Short of some sort of catastrophe, they won't be adding cities, they're still in the process of trimming the total down (though I suspect all three of the Canadian cities will remain, if anyone might get the boot I'd guess it could be Montreal as it's hinged on yet another major renovation of Olympic Stadium, and we know the track record those have for success...)
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    It could be Singapore vs Barbados and I wouldn’t miss it! This is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity, I really hope Edmonton is selected as a host city.

Should point out that Canada is currently 80th in the world. Qatar who is hosting 2022 is 101st. Even Russia is only 66th right now. With 8 years to prepare and the certain increase in soccer interest from those currently in their early teens who could play in this, I can confidently say that Canada will....score a goal this time!

Jokes aside, I’m very excited. Those who follow soccer know we have one of the most exciting young players in Canadian history in Alphonso Davies. He is showing signs of being an incredible player and will be 26 when we host.
    I was in Vancouver this past weekend and went to Whitecaps vs Orlando - Davies put on a clinic with a goal and three assists in a 5-2 win; looked outstanding. MLS isn't the World Cup, but he's only 17 and still can get way better. Looking forward to this.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    I was in Vancouver this past weekend and went to Whitecaps vs Orlando - Davies put on a clinic with a goal and three assists in a 5-2 win; looked outstanding. MLS isn't the World Cup, but he's only 17 and still can get way better. Looking forward to this.
    MLS is a higher quality than some of the teams in the WC. Take today's Russia vs. Saudi Arabia match. Most MLS teams would crush both of those national teams.

For my money Euro is the tougher tournament. By far.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Not a soccer guy. Pretty much ready to pay $200 in Row 75 for this.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    MLS is a higher quality than some of the teams in the WC. Take today's Russia vs. Saudi Arabia match. Most MLS teams would crush both of those national teams.

Sorry, but that is not close to being correct. MLS clubs aren't even equal to English Premier League clubs. No way they could beat a national side.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Sorry, but that is not close to being correct. MLS clubs aren't even equal to English Premier League clubs. No way they could beat a national side.
    I don't think it's that far off, although I might not be quite as bold as DDS. For instance, Saudi Arabia is ranked #67 in the world, not that far ahead of Canada at #79. You could argue back and forth about it, but the Canadian national team is probably not much different in level from an MLS club.

vCash

Toronto FC would absolutely hammer the Saudi national side, mate. Or Egypt. Or Iran. Or Nigeria. Or South Korea. And a whole host of others.

No, MLS isn't the Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, or Serie A. But is is equal to, or better than the top leagues in most other European countries.

vCash
    Blog Entries

So I’m the only one that isn’t excited about this? I can appreciate the athleticism it takes to play dive and flop...but just don’t get the hype.
    I don't mind getting thrown under the bus as long as I get a honk honk from you so I know it's coming...

vCash

So, you're not a soccer fan. The rest of us in this thread are. If you get a chance to see yesterday's Portugal-Spain match, maybe you'll be won over. At its best, it really is a beautiful game.

vCash

Euro is definitely the tougher tourney IMO as well.

I don't think it's that far off, although I might not be quite as bold as DDS. For instance, Saudi Arabia is ranked #67 in the world, not that far ahead of Canada at #79. You could argue back and forth about it, but the Canadian national team is probably not much different in level from an MLS club.
    Toronto FC would absolutely hammer the Saudi national side, mate. Or Egypt. Or Iran. Or Nigeria. Or South Korea. And a whole host of others.

No, MLS isn't the Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, or Serie A. But is is equal to, or better than the top leagues in most other European countries.
    I'd agree with DDS, at least on the point of it all. There are many countries that qualify for the world cup that couldn't put out a decent team in most of the top European leagues. The highest levels of club soccer are right around the highest national team levels as it is because they can draw all the talent.

But the lower national team levels are likely well below the mid-level leagues, again because of the level of talent draw.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

A Manchester United or AC Milan would be better than whichever team wins the World Cup, as they are made up of world all stars.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    So I’m the only one that isn’t excited about this? I can appreciate the athleticism it takes to play dive and flop...but just don’t get the hype.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I know a guy who planned his vacation around this took his 2 weeks off to drink and watch soccer.....the's a different cat
    In Rod we trust