Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canada/USA/Mexico awarded 2026 World Cup!

vCash

Re: Canada/USA/Mexico awarded 2026 World Cup!

The 2026 World Cup will be introducing a new format. There will be 48 teams: 16 groups of 3 teams, with the top two from each group advancing to a 32-team knock-out stage. Meaning Canada will only get to play two games.

The potential good thing for Canada is that moving forward, CONCACAF will be guaranteed 6.5 spots for each World Cup. Canada should be at least the 7th best team in the region (though we've managed to fail to make the hex for two consecutive qualifications), and with the exposure and preparation involved in hosting, it should be the expectation, not the exception, that Canada qualify for every World Cup moving forward. The scoring a goal once we actually get there will be the exception, not the expectation.

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    The 2026 World Cup will be introducing a new format. There will be 48 teams: 16 groups of 3 teams, with the top two from each group advancing to a 32-team knock-out stage. Meaning Canada will only get to play two games.

The potential good thing for Canada is that moving forward, CONCACAF will be guaranteed 6.5 spots for each World Cup. Canada should be at least the 7th best team in the region (though we've managed to fail to make the hex for two consecutive qualifications), and with the exposure and preparation involved in hosting, it should be the expectation, not the exception, that Canada qualify for every World Cup moving forward. The scoring a goal once we actually get there will be the exception, not the expectation.
    I don't think we've made the hex since the 90's... woe Canada!
    Last edited by Inquiring Mind; 07-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    I don't think we've made the hex since the 90's... woe Canada!
    Oh my god, you are correct. That is pathetic.

vCash

Canada's group could be the weakest group in World Cup history. If they use the current seeding format we'll have Canada, a 17-32 seed (in 2018 is Denmark - Saudia Arabia), and then one of 16 teams that wouldn't have previously qualified. I think we'll have a shot to finish second in the group and get absolutely curb stomped by a good team in the first knock out round (hopefully in Edmonton).

vCash

Canada would play 2 games and then go out. Which means that if Edmonton hosts 3 games we would have a great chance seeing teams that are actually, you know, good.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

DDS, I'm a fan of the Oilers and Riders. If there's false hope out there, I'm capable of grabbing it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    DDS, I'm a fan of the Oilers and Riders. If there's false hope out there, I'm capable of grabbing it.
    Fair enough, mate. Fair enough.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Canada has more kids playing soccer than hockey, but there is very little opportunity for them as they get older. We're one of the largest nations in CONCACAF. We should be the third best country in CONCACAF (behind Mexico and the US) and qualifying for the World Cup every time. That we haven't even made the Hex in 20 years and currently rank behind such soccer powerhouses as Panama and El Salvador show how broken the CSA has been for decades.

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Our problem isn't the grassroots, it's the lack of high end development and a domestic pro league. Your top talent are still going to go overseas, but what pro leagues really do is build depth. Just look at what the MLS has done for the US, when that started up the US was still behind us... and since then they've became very respectable internationally, and we've seen our rank plummet from the 40's... to the 60's... to the 80's... and sadly spent much of the last decade in the 100's (we bottomed out at #117 a couple years ago). MLS is still viewed as an international backwater... but it's infinitely better than it was 20 years ago, and it was yielding positive results even then.

Unfortunately from our perspective, MLS teams haven't done a whole lot of Canadian development, but they aren't given any incentive, and unfortunately it's extremely evident that the MLS as a league is an organ of US soccer and they really couldn't care less about us.

Will be interesting whether the new CanPL can get a foothold and ride the wave... 6-7 years is probably too early to be expecting much for dividends, but the tournament could be a big boon for the league if they survive that long, and in turn a boon for the national team in the long term.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    Our problem isn't the grassroots, it's the lack of high end development and a domestic pro league. Your top talent are still going to go overseas, but what pro leagues really do is build depth. Just look at what the MLS has done for the US, when that started up the US was still behind us... and since then they've became very respectable internationally, and we've seen our rank plummet from the 40's... to the 60's... to the 80's... and sadly spent much of the last decade in the 100's (we bottomed out at #117 a couple years ago). MLS is still viewed as an international backwater... but it's infinitely better than it was 20 years ago, and it was yielding positive results even then.

Unfortunately from our perspective, MLS teams haven't done a whole lot of Canadian development, but they aren't given any incentive, and unfortunately it's extremely evident that the MLS as a league is an organ of US soccer and they really couldn't care less about us.

Will be interesting whether the new CanPL can get a foothold and ride the wave... 6-7 years is probably too early to be expecting much for dividends, but the tournament could be a big boon for the league if they survive that long, and in turn a boon for the national team in the long term.
    MLS will continue to get better and attract more good players. It currently ranks 15th in the world in terms of revenue per year.

#1 NFL $13B
    #2 MLB $9.5B
    #3 NBA $5.3B
    #4 English Premiership $4.8B
    #5 NHL $3.7B
    #6 Bundesliga $2.8B
    #7 La Liga 2.2B
    #8 Serie A $1.9B
    #9 UEFA CL
    #10 Formula 1
    #11 Ligue 1
    #12 Brazil PL
    #13 Nippon Pro Baseball
    #14 Chinese Super League
    #15 MLS $461million

#42 CFL ~$200million

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    MLS will continue to get better and attract more good players. It currently ranks 15th in the world in terms of revenue per year.

#1 NFL $13B
    #2 MLB $9.5B
    #3 NBA $5.3B
    #4 English Premiership $4.8B
    #5 NHL $3.7B
    #6 Bundesliga $2.8B
    #7 La Liga 2.2B
    #8 Serie A $1.9B
    #9 UEFA CL
    #10 Formula 1
    #11 Ligue 1
    #12 Brazil PL
    #13 Nippon Pro Baseball
    #14 Chinese Super League
    #15 MLS $461million

#42 CFL ~$200million
    Where does the SPL rank? Just curious.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    #50. ~$148M And without the Old Firm it would be about #100.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

It's always a good day when Brazil is eliminated. Apparently this is the first World Cup that won't have at least one of Brazil, Argentina, or Germany in the final four.

vCash

What is SPL?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    What is SPL?
    Scottish Premier League. (Or Saudi, but I'm guessing they mean Scottish.)
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Spanish? No, that's stupid. Never mind.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Thanks. That was one of my guesses but wasn’t sure.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    What is SPL?
    It's the Scottish Premier League which exists in the gigantic shadow of the English Premier League (much like the CFL in relation to the NFL).

vCash

It's the Scottish Premier League which exists in the gigantic shadow of the English Premier League (much like the CFL in relation to the NFL).
    Thanks. The only team I know is the Celtic Rangers. (Sorry)