Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Eskimos Season Thread

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Discussion 2018 Eskimos Season Thread

Season discussion between games here.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: 2018 Eskimos Season Thread

Bond seems like a pretty big add even though the OL wasn't necessarily bad against arguably the best DL in the CFL and with a lot of tough circumstances.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

I see we signed Travis Bond. Did BS sign him as a Guard or Tackle? I think Sask signed him with intention of playing him st LT but played him at Guard for preseason. Wonder if we are looking at him to play LT or RT. Replace Drahem possibly. I imagine wasn’t a minimum CFL salery type deal... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I see we signed Travis Bond. Did BS sign him as a Guard or Tackle? I think Sask signed him with intention of playing him st LT but played him at Guard for preseason. Wonder if we are looking at him to play LT or RT. Replace Drahem possibly. I imagine wasn’t a minimum CFL salery type deal... thoughts?
    Not sure about Bond, he's a great player but this would mean either Beard graded out so poorly that they want to suddenly change his position to American (which I don't think is the case), they think Bond can play Tackle, or he's just too good of a talent to pass up. I'm also curious as to the plan behind bringing Palmer back, the depth doesn't hurt but who comes off the roster to make room for another back up OL?

vCash

I think Bond at Guard makes more sense. Keeping Tackles international would mean 3 Internations on the OL. I think we started 8 Nationals week #1 so we have the flexabitly. I don’t think we sign Bond if not expecting to get him in starting line-up. Beard would be the guy, but thought he played well. Maybe they want Bond at LT... interesting roster move for sure. Bond was a beast in Winnipeg!

I think Bond at Guard makes more sense. Keeping Tackles international would mean 3 Internations on the OL. I think we started 8 Nationals week #1 so we have the flexabitly. I don’t think we sign Bond if not expecting to get him in starting line-up. Beard would be the guy, but thought he played well. Maybe they want Bond at LT... interesting roster move for sure. Bond was a beast in Winnipeg!
    This is my line of thinking as well, there's a few options there so it will be interesting to see what they have in mind. I wonder if they feel they can get comparable production at Tackle from a National player on the roster and leave Bond at guard, but that scenario leaves Beard on the sidelines and I agree that he seemingly played well on Thursday so I'm not sure they're going that route.

Regardless of how it shakes out, it's always a good thing when you can add a player of Bond's caliber into the mix.

vCash

Are they thinking about MOD back at tackle perhaps?
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

Maybe Kelly to LT and O’donnel To RT. I know we have talked that O’Donnell being an all-star at Guard and not to move him to tackle. Agreed with this thought, but also don’t think big drop if any from O’Donnell to Draheim. Is an online of O’Donnell, Beard, Sorensen, Bond, Kelly better then Week 1 oline?... I think so. Plus we create more roster flexibility. A win/win if you ask me. This all if coaches feel O’Donnell can play tackle. Bond prob not sign here if not given idea that he be a starter or at least that was plan for him.

My 3 cents...

vCash

The only reason you ever play Kelly at LT is if you want to get Mike Reilly killed

I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The only reason you ever play Kelly at LT is if you want to get Mike Reilly killed

I would be willing to bet that I could find tape similar to that with every offensive lineman. That being said, I will watch him more closely to get a better sense. One thing I will say is that he did a really good job of squaring up and creating a pocket on Derel Walkers TD
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Konar...again. If he continues to miss another big portion of this season...its time to cut ties. Its hard to keep paying that salary to have him not play.

Smith looked great...big loss.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Wow. Just when we seem to have found a decent returner. Darn, I sure feel for Konar. Do we replace him with a national or screw with the ratio ? Looks like necessity forced bringing in the new O linemen, who ever catches on quicker starts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Konar...again. If he continues to miss another big portion of this season...its time to cut ties. Its hard to keep paying that salary to have him not play.

Smith looked great...big loss.
    I don’t recall seeing Smith get injured. That said, who will be the returner now—perhaps Jordan Robinson?
    Ffs this injury bug is getting beyond ridiculous. Something has to give....
    Hopefully Hazelton is good to go.
    Last edited by writfiler; 06-18-2018 at 06:42 PM.

vCash

Matt can play RT so if we play Draheim at LT Beard LG Sorenson Center Bond RG Matt O Rt Big upgrade.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

I guess I was Wrong Bond to replace Draheim maybe
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Matt can play RT so if we play Draheim at LT Beard LG Sorenson Center Bond RG Matt O Rt Big upgrade.
    Draheim now on the 6-game IR.....

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    I don’t recall seeing Smith get injured. That said, who will be the returner now—perhaps Jordan Robinson?
    Ffs this injury bug is getting beyond ridiculous. Something has to give....
    Hopefully Hazelton is good to go.
    I don't either, wondering out loud if this is roster games to get Mitchel and Hazelton on the roster knowing that Robinson can return kicks?

Konar looked ok walking around on the sidelines so he may not be out for the full 6 but who knows.

I didn't see Draheim go down either.

vCash

We talk about our top notch Canadian talent in Konar and Colqohoun being ratio breakers on defence. Those two can’t stay healthy and miss as many games as they play...frustrating!!! Lucky we have depth behind Konar.
    I guess Bond plays Friday with Draheim on 6 game. Kelly at LT and Bond at RG. Might be 1st game in a while we have a Canadian playing RT. Sure like an update about Hightower, Adams, Colqohoun etc...

vCash

We talk about our top notch Canadian talent in Konar and Colqohoun being ratio breakers on defence. Those two can’t stay healthy and miss as many games as they play...frustrating!!! Lucky we have depth behind Konar.
    I guess Bond plays Friday with Draheim on 6 game. Kelly at LT and Bond at RG. Might be 1st game in a while we have a Canadian playing RT. Sure like an update about Hightower, Adams, Colqohoun etc...
    Likely will be Palmer at RT.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Likely will be Palmer at RT.....
    3 internations on the OL. I’d rather go with just Kelly and Bond. O’Donnell or even Ruby at RT would be the same or improved play over Palmer. Although I like the idea of O’Donnell/Sorensen/Bond in the middle of the OL. That’s some serious size and nastyness...

Hope we get some players off the 6 game this week as we just added 4 more!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I would be willing to bet that I could find tape similar to that with every offensive lineman. That being said, I will watch him more closely to get a better sense. One thing I will say is that he did a really good job of squaring up and creating a pocket on Derel Walkers TD
    He routinely gets beat because he's slow in his drop. When he side plants, and DE will hammer up field and beat him around the corner. The as the game goes he will cheat his hips and that's when the DE will cut inside and take a direct shot to the QB. He's been beat that same way since he got here, and bet your booties all defenses know this. If you are of average speed then he has a chance. On the above clip what made his footwork even worse was he never even got his hands on the DE
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

He routinely gets beat because he's slow in his drop. When he side plants, and DE will hammer up field and beat him around the corner. The as the game goes he will cheat his hips and that's when the DE will cut inside and take a direct shot to the QB. He's been beat that same way since he got here, and bet your booties all defenses know this. If you are of average speed then he has a chance. On the above clip what made his footwork even worse was he never even got his hands on the DE
    Could well be, I honestly haven't watched him close enough to make an educated comment, just looking at the overall defensive numbers and they look better with him in there then when he wasnt.

Thanks for the info, I'll watch for that on Friday

vCash

I like the thought of giving him a red cape. Maybe you've given birth to a new award (of shame) for linemen. "This weeks Red Cape winner is" ............

vCash

A lot of us seem to think that Colin Kelly isn't very good. We can keep repeating it day after week after month after year. Until the Esks' coaching staff decides that they need to give this guy the hook, it's all nothing more than a tiresome and futile marathon of belly-aching.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    A lot of us seem to think that Colin Kelly isn't very good. We can keep repeating it day after week after month after year. Until the Esks' coaching staff decides that they need to give this guy the hook, it's all nothing more than a tiresome and futile marathon of belly-aching.
    Agreed...

Kelly ain’t going anywhere... if he was he would have been gone long time ago..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Agreed...

Kelly ain’t going anywhere... if he was he would have been gone long time ago..
    The stats dictate that our line is better with him in there, I'm guessing the addition of Bond was because they weren't overly happy with the way our line is run blocking or it could be that he was just to good not to make an offer to. Whatever the case I'm happy that he seems to have a fire in his belly.

vCash

Jason Maas said on the coaches show that one of either Bond or Palmer will play. He mentioned specifically he's an interior guy, however.

I think when you combine that with what he said in the season preview on 630 CHED about O'Donnell having the flexibility to go out to tackle, that's your answer if Bond is in the lineup. I hope he is.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Jason Maas said on the coaches show that one of either Bond or Palmer will play. He mentioned specifically he's an interior guy, however.

I think when you combine that with what he said in the season preview on 630 CHED about O'Donnell having the flexibility to go out to tackle, that's your answer if Bond is in the lineup. I hope he is.
    Thanks TMac. Bond was a career guard. Certainly would help the run game to dress him there, but without moving an O'Donnell to tackle I don't see how we have the ratio to accommodate. Really confusing move given that moving Kelly to LT seemed to be a failed experiment and Draheim is injured.

I didn't think Beard was bad at the LG spot. He will only get better, and you probably want him dressing games next to Sorenson as an apprentice to eventually take over the centre role.

vCash

Do the Esks need to take a long look at how they practice, how the players train and look at how they scout players? Last year the Esks were crushed with injuries. Before they even played their first game, they started the season with 7 guys on the 6 game. They play 1 game and apparently Konar, Moore, Smith and Draheim are going to be 6 gamed as well. So you aren't even 2 games into the season and you have 11 guys on the 6 game. Maybe it's just bad luck but 2 years in a row the injuries are piling up super early.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.