vCash

Re: [GDT/DBGDT] Esks Argos July 7, 3:30PM MDT, BMO

Yeah... already read the article.
    Thanks though.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Great, he's getting tackles. But he's getting tackles because they are running the ball at him because they consider him the weak link on the line. While making tackles is great, he was brought in to sack the QB. Where's the sacks?
    Solly has made a living outta that the past 5 years......

Same reason sherritt broke the record prior.

Ur making lots of tackles because ur opponents are making yards lol

And solly got an Mvp for it!!!! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    How many reps did he get in those two preseason games again?

Bazzie is third on the Esks in defensive tackles with 14 - only behind Mulumba and Sherritt. He's making tackles at the line of scrimmage. Hopefully the sacks will come.
    I thought Sunday was bazzies best game so far.......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Teams will continue to attack the Dline, especially the edges. We are too light there and don't have the LB corps to make up the difference. Bazzie has been exposed
    Bazzie has been exposed no more than anyone else

Wilder was running between the tackles all night Sunday .......

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I thought Sunday was bazzies best game so far.......
    Not sure if missing Kwaku had anything to do with that, but I'd agree - best game so far.
    Hopefully the defense has some new tricks up their sleeves for Friday. Wilder had 21 carries (and 3 catches) last week. I expect they will dish him the ball a lot again.

Teams will continue to attack the Dline, especially the edges. We are too light there and don't have the LB corps to make up the difference. Bazzie has been exposed
    Actually we're pretty much on par with league average in that department with our DE's being listed at 228, 240, 250, 255, and 255. Of that group only Bazzie at 228 would be considered light by conventional standards, but he seem's to be holding his own as he is second in the league in tackles made by a DE. Just out of curiosity, was there a DE available in FA that you think we should have brought in instead of Bazzie?

In regards to teams attacking our DL, they've been doing that for three years now, this scheme seems to sell out on stopping the pass at the cost of being susceptible to the run.

vCash

Tackle numbers in of itself are fine, but are the majority of these tackles resulting in a second and long or a third and kick?

Or, are these tackles being made on second or third and short, and is the other team running at him because they know they can get the 1-2 yards they need just by running at him?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Tackle numbers in of itself are fine, but are the majority of these tackles resulting in a second and long or a third and kick?

Or, are these tackles being made on second or third and short, and is the other team running at him because they know they can get the 1-2 yards they need just by running at him?
    You ask good questions, that I think none of us can answer...
    I know the league doesn't provide such intricate stats break downs. I'm sure that kind of stuff is crunched by the powers that be.
    and you are absolutely right. It's not about how many tackles or how many sacks for a player. There have been lots of individual D standouts on terrible defenses over the years. How do the twelve play as a unit? That's the ultimate measuring stick. Still, coaches and GM's need to make sure each and every man is carrying their weight.
    We are 2 and 2 right now. Not good enough, but I'm hopeful we keep getting better.

vCash

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...er-alex-bazzie

There's a link to the Edmonton Sun article where Sunderland talks about Bazzie. “We think we’ve got a dynamic pass rusher. He’s 27 and we still think his arrow’s still up.” The GM of my team said he's a dynamic pass rusher and are paying him 160K per year which in the CFL is a hell of a lot of money. So I think it's fair to ask. Where are the sacks?
    by all means it is fair to ask where are the sacks. But on the flipside, it isnt fair to discredit tackles he's made by changing the narrative reasoning that fits what angle you push.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Somebody from here should tweet Gregor to ask Bud Steen during the Inside the Stripes segment in Tuesday. I don’t think what Wilder did was a penalty (as explained above), but that’s me.

Also, we don’t know what was said.
    Bud was asked about that & said that because Stafford tossed the ball at & hit the TO player he was flagged for OC.....
    The OC penalty on EDWARDS & then later on a TO player was for using the “N” word.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, was there a DE available in FA that you think we should have brought in instead of Bazzie?
    Odell for 10k less 😛
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

Odell was done like dinner last season. His play in BC so far has been less than stellar....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Odell was done like dinner last season. His play in BC so far has been less than stellar....
    So I keep,hearing. Also been told how Bazzie is a huge upgrade, mostly by the same people who poop out a kitten every time the Eskimo lose a game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    So I keep,hearing. Also been told how Bazzie is a huge upgrade, mostly by the same people who poop out a kitten every time the Eskimo lose a game.
    Sorry but this post confuses me. People who get angry after the Eskimos lose think Bazzie has played well? That statement is a little insane in my opinion.

Bazzie's been a disappointment so far. Any person who knows football can see that. He had a much better game against Toronto, hopefully he builds on it. Was he the right signing to make considering the age of our previous defensive ends? Absolutely. Now he's got to hold up his end of the bargain.

Also, Odell Willis has been slowing down ever since 2016. His effort in 2016 in most games I questioned like crazy. Last year, I thought he was a candidate for defensive player of the year during our opening 6 game winning streak. I was really happy how he responded from a crap 2016. Then, his play dropped off and was not good the rest of the year. At some point you have to make the call.

And yes, his play in BC has been less than stellar just as writfiler mentioned. I think that's a very accurate assessment of him. You don't get a chance to watch BC games?

vCash

Speaking of DE's, I'm happy Kwaku Boateng wasn't added to the 1 or 6 game last week. I haven't heard if he's been practicing this week (anybody?), but it would certainly be good if he was playing this Friday.

vCash

Great, he's getting tackles. But he's getting tackles because they are running the ball at him because they consider him the weak link on the line. While making tackles is great, he was brought in to sack the QB. Where's the sacks?
    Where would we be if Sunderland hadn't traded Odel for Ceresna, then signed Bazzie? Odel has 5 tackles and 1 sack this year while Bazzie has 14 tackles and no sacks. Stats are very similar AND we added an interior guy who has a sack.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Where would we be if Sunderland hadn't traded Odel for Ceresna, then signed Bazzie? Odel has 5 tackles and 1 sack this year while Bazzie has 14 tackles and no sacks. Stats are very similar AND we added an interior guy who has a sack.
    I don't have a problem with them getting rid of Odell. As players get older, you have to replace them and a savy GM pulls the trigger on a trade of a vet player right before they drop off and gets an asset for him. Sunderland did that with Odell which is great. I gave him credit for doing that months ago. But when get rid of a D End, you have to replace him. Supposedly Odell was making 150k. Well they signed Bazzie for 160K and he has zero sacks. Our GM labelled him a "dynamic pass rusher" and paid up big time to get him and he has zero sacks. The GM did not say when he was describing why they went out to get Bazzie and paid him so much money as a great tackler. He talked about pass rush and all the moves he has to get to the QB. Farhan Lalji who's pretty tapped into the CFL and covers the Lions said he was shocked that the Esks gave Bazzie that much because he doesn't think he is that good. That's a concern for me because 160K in the CFL is a hell of a lot of money. I can appreciate that he has 14 tackles. That shows at least he is doing something but he was brought in to sack the QB. The Riders went out and traded to get Charlston Hughes to sack the QB. Hughes has 5 sacks in 4 games. He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do. I severely doubt there is chatter among Riders fans complaining that he doesn't have enough tackles. I honestly hope that Bazzie turns it around and starts racking up the sacks but he has a long, long ways to go to earn that 160K and live up to being a "dynamic" pass rusher that our GM labelled him as.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I don't have a problem with them getting rid of Odell. As players get older, you have to replace them and a savy GM pulls the trigger on a trade of a vet player right before they drop off and gets an asset for him. Sunderland did that with Odell which is great. I gave him credit for doing that months ago. But when get rid of a D End, you have to replace him. Supposedly Odell was making 150k. Well they signed Bazzie for 160K and he has zero sacks. Our GM labelled him a "dynamic pass rusher" and paid up big time to get him and he has zero sacks. The GM did not say when he was describing why they went out to get Bazzie and paid him so much money as a great tackler. He talked about pass rush and all the moves he has to get to the QB. Farhan Lalji who's pretty tapped into the CFL and covers the Lions said he was shocked that the Esks gave Bazzie that much because he doesn't think he is that good. That's a concern for me because 160K in the CFL is a hell of a lot of money. I can appreciate that he has 14 tackles. That shows at least he is doing something but he was brought in to sack the QB. The Riders went out and traded to get Charlston Hughes to sack the QB. Hughes has 5 sacks in 4 games. He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do. I severely doubt there is chatter among Riders fans complaining that he doesn't have enough tackles. I honestly hope that Bazzie turns it around and starts racking up the sacks but he has a long, long ways to go to earn that 160K and live up to being a "dynamic" pass rusher that our GM labelled him as.
    Hate to do this but I will agree that he hasn't been what I expected him to be as of yet but without knowledge of the defensive schemes and what his responsibilities are in it, it can be tough to judge. For all we know he is doing exactly what is asked of him, which is to pressure the QB with an eye on the run. I don't know this just saying there could be more to the story than we know.

vCash

Bazzie is OK. What we are missing on defence are some play makers. Difference makers. We seem to have that on offence where guys are making outstanding catches or runs. Need some guys to step up on D.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Bazzie is OK. What we are missing on defence are some play makers. Difference makers. We seem to have that on offence where guys are making outstanding catches or runs. Need some guys to step up on D.
    Would you not call a guy labelled as dynamic pass rusher that actually records a few sacks as a play maker? I would.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Hate to do this but I will agree that he hasn't been what I expected him to be as of yet but without knowledge of the defensive schemes and what his responsibilities are in it, it can be tough to judge. For all we know he is doing exactly what is asked of him, which is to pressure the QB with an eye on the run. I don't know this just saying there could be more to the story than we know.
    I don't know the exact defensive scheme either but I would assume that the GM would be somewhat aware of the type of scheme the coaching staff was going to run so he could try to bring in players that hopefully fit into that. I also have a hard time believing you as a team go out and target a guy you think/call a dynamic pass rusher, spend 160K to bring him in then tell him not to do what he supposedly does best and for a lack of a better explanation, stand there and be a contain guy. It's a complete waste of a lot of money if they are just asking him to contain.

vCash

change of pace

vCash

I don't know the exact defensive scheme either but I would assume that the GM would be somewhat aware of the type of scheme the coaching staff was going to run so he could try to bring in players that hopefully fit into that. I also have a hard time believing you as a team go out and target a guy you think/call a dynamic pass rusher, spend 160K to bring him in then tell him not to do what he supposedly does best and for a lack of a better explanation, stand there and be a contain guy. It's a complete waste of a lot of money if they are just asking him to contain.
    You may very well be right, lets hope he finishes the season better as he gets more comfortable in the defense.

vCash

You may very well be right, lets hope he finishes the season better as he gets more comfortable in the defense.
    Agreed.

vCash

Really wish the CFL was still recording QB pressures this season but appears they have ceased that. I will say that Bazzie has been getting the double teams more often than not this season. Doesn't have the sacks but he has been the Dlineman who has got in the opposing QBs face the most out of our ends.

That said...he needs to finish when he gets there as he has let the QB escape his grasp a couple times and throw for incompletions instead of sacks. He has also been asked to run stunts far more than I think he ever did in BC. I suspect you will start to see the sacks come as the Dline learn each others intricacies...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Really wish the CFL was still recording QB pressures this season but appears they have ceased that.
    Here's a recap (surprised how many tackles are on the list)

vCash

Interesting to see that Hughes leads the league in sacks as well as pressures. Exactly what you would expect to see from a high paid D End. Does that list show where the Esks dynamic pass rusher Bazzie is in pressures?

vCash

Give it up.

vCash

change of pace

Nate you're supposed to be practicing, not goofing off

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Sorry but this post confuses me. People who get angry after the Eskimos lose think Bazzie has played well? That statement is a little insane in my opinion.
    I meant you specifically, but hoped to avoid what I’m going to share now.do you feel better now?

Bazzie’s been a disappointment so far. Any person who knows football can see that.
    😀 Too easy.

Was he the right signing to make considering the age of our previous defensive ends? Absolutely. Now he's got to hold up his end of the bargain.
    See to me it seems insane that you like paying more money for less/equal production because of age. You assured me Bazzie was way better the Willis, after 4 games that’s just not happening. It’s really that simple.

You don't get a chance to watch BC games?
    Ah, now you think being a jerk will make you less embarrassed about your an opinion that just hasn’t panned out. Is that working?
    If I’m to be honest you are one of a few who makes this forum as goofy as rider fans after a loss.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

How many reps did he get in those two preseason games again?

Bazzie is third on the Esks in defensive tackles with 14 - only behind Mulumba and Sherritt. He's making tackles at the line of scrimmage. Hopefully the sacks will come.
    He is??? We're watching different games then

- - - Updated - - -

Who also has the footprints of every RB on his back that we've faced this year.... I'm sorry but our Dline is hot garbage right now

- - - Updated - - -

He knows Bene's scheme very well. he just doesn't have 2 all star LB's behind him anymore, to cover up his deficiencies. We paid a big nut for SFA at the moment

- - - Updated - - -

he should be very comfortable as it's the same scheme he played under in BC. On this Dline, he knows the system better than anyone
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

He is??? We're watching different games then
    Perhaps.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-11-2018 at 06:56 PM.