Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT - Eskimos vs. Lions; 08/09/18

vCash

Re: GDT - Eskimos vs. Lions; 08/09/18

Obviously you need the wins to make the playoffs. I just think the potential 6-3 record would be masking a TON of issues with this team right now.

They have half a season to figure out a lot of issues. It can definitely be done and I hope it is.

vCash

Esks are not a very good team. Don't expect them to do anything significant this season other than score a lot of points. Poor defense and lack of discipline has killed this team. Offence played quite poorly for once. Defence was usual inconsistency. They wil win their share of games but should not have lost to the Lions today.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

It's not surprising to me at all that this Esks team which usually wins ugly is fully capable of losing ugly as well. It feels like they've been stuck in this range throughout Jason Maas' tenure as Head Coach. With the toughest part of their schedule looming ahead after they play Montreal next week, something's gotta give around here one way or the other.
    Last edited by GREYx14; 08-10-2018 at 02:56 AM.

vCash

Huge win for the Lions.
    Huge loss for us.
    After the impressive first quarter, this game was ours to lose.
    How frustrating.

vCash

The Esks need to figure out how to handle the blitz. No line is going to keep all those guys out. Reilly needs to get rid of the ball quicker and all our routes can't be deep ones.

vCash

I actually had time to sit down and watch the whole game uninterrupted for a change.

First half the offense is clicking. Moving the ball at will, BC didn't have a lot of answers for it. The Oline looked like a brick wall. The run game looked good. They even did a successful fake on a field goal with a good catch by Sewel. The Esks easily should have had more points. Defensively, other than the one Arceneaux 39 yard pitch out where my favorite D End who's suppose to protect the edge but somehow was almost shaking hands with the center, the Lions offense did squat. The secondary looked good. Most of the Dline was getting a lot of pressure. Bazzie actually did one good thing in the first half. Because of his rush, the Olineman had to hold him which took a TD off the board. Way to go Bazzie, you did something!! Next play, Esks defense pick it off, almost run it back, punch it in. MASSIVE swing. The only blemish for the first half was the special teams. Whyte misses a single and I don't know what the hell the special teams were doing on the punt TD but I can't imagine that was how it was drawn up. The wide open lane they gave Rainey was about as big as it gets. But other than that, take the punt TD away, it's 20-3. BC is lucky to be within 10 quite frankly.

Second half. I don't know if the whole team thought they had the game in the bag and started pounding beers in the dressing room but WTF was that? Oline was horrible. They abandoned the run. You are up 20-10, the run game looked effective in the first half, why the F are you abandoning the run? Reilly looked like he couldn't hit the side of a barn with a pass. I knew things were going to be bad when deep in their end, the Esks call the play and thanks to the live mic, I heard what you don't want to hear right before the snap. "Mike, what's the play again?" I said to myself "Oh sh!t". My guess that guy was Gable because he didn't block anyone. Reilly gets drilled, fumbled inside the 10, TD LIONS. Were you not freaking listening Gable?? How do you not know the play??? The Dline who was shredding the BC Oline first half, couldn't do nothing unless they brought the house. The PENALTIES. 14 penalties, TWICE as many as the Lions took. Some you can't avoid like Taylor tripping and getting an accidental PI. I can accept the odd offside on short yardage. But the procedure BS. There was the Kelly procedure in the second half on a critical drive that was extremely costly. You can't do that. When will it stop? Someone needs to be cut to send a message because I am sure the coaches have screamed, yelled, tried to reason, begged for it to get better. That's 100% on the players IMO. As a team you can't keep taking that many penalties. Just a pathetic second half. Does anyone know if Taylor got injured because why the F was Hoover at corner in the second half. He couldn't cover a corps. I may take some heat for picking on him again but I really don't give a crap. Bazzie. DUDE!! You are making 160K, you were the Esks big signing. It's your first game in your previous teams stadium. I gave you credit for the rush you made to draw the penalty. I saw a couple of time were he got closish to the QB but MAKE A GOD DAMN PLAY!! 3 games in a row you don't even show up on the frigging stats sheet!! I am going to bet that on defense the highest paid guys on the Esks and I don't know the order are Grymes, Sherrit, Sewell and BAZZIE. Grymes had a decent game and almost had a pick. Sherrit was flying around, caused a fumble and had a sack. I saw Sewell make a huge tackle for a loss and caught a pass. WHAT the hell did Bazzie do? He has ZERO'S again on the stats sheet. Did he have a few pressures, sure he did. Great, at least he did something. But at some point as a team you need your highest paid guys to MAKE A PLAY. 3 games in a row he hasn't made a play. I better be careful to mention that Bazzie did fall on the ball off of Sherritt's caused fumble. Yippee!! Way to be there.

As you can tell, I am a little fired up.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 08-10-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    TSN might be the worst broadcaster I have ever seen in showing replays of important plays or penalties.
    It's amazing how often there's a punt, it's returned to say the 45.... and then they come back and the ball is at the 20. We don't get a replay of the hold or the no yards or whatever it was, it's just done.

Part of me thinks TSN does this on purpose to shelter the officials.

Nary a word on screen about Lulay's blatant grounding, no replay of the UR we got that nullified our only good return or the brutal call on Edwards.

Frustrating game but if we're sitting 6-3 after 9 I'm not going to be upset. Nobody's ever won the Grey Cup in August and facing some adversity throughout the season is a good thing.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

When Mike Reilly isn't on his game, you start to notice all the other inefficiencies of our team. It would seem that Mark Washington seriously studied the game film on how Chris Jones ran things against our offense.
    We continue to be a work in progress.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Do you ever see shots of the sideline officials sucking up to Mass? You see them sucking up to Wally, you see them sucking up to Jones. I have to wonder if Mass' abrasive nature has created an attitude amounts CFL officials that they are going to call penalties against the Eskimos because of it. Penalties like the 3rd down offside on Almondo that wasn't.

How about when BC scores a TD and they come back for the kick-off and they are kicking from the 50? No explanation from TSN but the CFL play-by-play lists a roughing the kicker against Onyeka. TSN is unable to provide a replay of the penalty. Why is TSN unable to show these replays.

Why is rolling through Hughes contacting the kicker and not roughing the kicker?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    When Mike Reilly isn't on his game, you start to notice all the other inefficiencies of our team. It would seem that Mark Washington seriously studied the game film on how Chris Jones ran things against our offense.
    I know that the QB is probably the most critical player on a football team. If your QB sucks or has a lousy game, your team most likely won't win. But IMO this team has become WAY too comfortable with having Reilly on the team to bail them out with a late drive. To me at times, they almost look like they play to that. Keep it close then expect Reilly to stage a game winning drive at the end of the game. As an example. At the end of the first half, they are up 20-10 and the offense looked like they could do no wrong at time. They get the ball back I think close to 1:30 left in the half which is lots of time to at least maybe get into field goal range. They run Gable for 4. Throw a 6 yard button hook to Adjei for the first but they have chewed up time doing that. Then they throw some stupid dump pass to Behar for a 1 yard loss, then a even stupider swing pass to Gable for a 4 yard loss. They punt the ball. Why the hell aren't you pushing the ball down the field and crush the Lions spirit? You had them on the ropes. Then you listen to Lulay with a couple of seconds left and over half the field to go, so he has time for 1 play. So what does he do? He calls for a bomb and says go get a PI if it doesn't work. They have done NOTHING all first half offensively yet they are going for it. The Esks who had their way are being passive. Just stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Why is rolling through Hughes contacting the kicker and not roughing the kicker?
    Good question. O'Neil is completely vulnerable, leg in the air and he is taken out. Is that not what the penalty is for to protect those guys from blowing out a knee when they can't protect themselves? I actually didn't know they had 2 penalties. I thought it was cut and dry. You hit the kicker, it's 15 yards end of story.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Best example was Reilly throwing behind Behar on the first turnover on downs with 1:30ish to go. That was an easy first down for the Esks and MR just flat out missed him. Behar had to slow down and try to catch it behind his body instead of being led into an easy 20-25 yard gainer.

Also, just like in the Toronto game, the Esks would have been right to punt the ball on third on long with that much time left.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Derek Taylor (on twitter) pointed out that Reilly was pressured 34% of the time - 7th most in a game this season. That would lend to his game being off.
    However, Lulay was pressured even more - 36% of his snaps - 4th most this season.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Derek Taylor (on twitter) pointed out that Reilly was pressured 34% of the time - 7th most in a game this season. That would lend to his game being off.
    However, Lulay was pressured even more - 36% of his snaps - 4th most this season.
    Reilly was also throwing a lot of 30-40 yard throws that take time to develop. Being pressured isn't the same as ample time and space fwiw. I'd have to watch it again but it sure felt like Mike was throwing up a lot of prayers last night in the second half... very few times did they attack the middle of the field on 10-15 yard plays.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Second half. I don't know if the whole team thought they had the game in the bag and started pounding beers in the dressing room but WTF was that? WHAT the hell did Bazzie do?
    There was no sense of urgency in the second half. It was too easy in the first and they kept it in neutral coming out for the second.

Bazzie's pressure caused a holding call which reversed a TD. That's a pretty big play.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    There was no sense of urgency in the second half. It was too easy in the first and they kept it in neutral coming out for the second.

Bazzie's pressure caused a holding call which reversed a TD. That's a pretty big play.
    As is recovering a fumble.

I have serious doubts he's making half of what Willis is but of course the CFL is too stupid to publish these things.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

SectionQ's constant Bazzie is getting a bit much... We get it. You don't like him.

IMO the punt return snapped the backbone of the Esks.

vCash

I think the Eskimos will be just fine. Obviously Reilly is the straw that stirs the drink. We will go as far as he takes us. Not a bad thing since he is a MVP.

I think as soon as Colqohoun or Konar/CMT can get back into line-up you go with 4 International REC. Getting Mitchell/Hazelton back onto feild as a regular will help with the passing game. The passing game is our bread and butter. When Hoover was in for Taylor....BC targeted him immediately for 2 big catches and the TD to Elliot. Why is he on the feild? Bad coaching decision. When Taylor goes down for a couple plays.. why not Colqohoun? Even moving Edwards outside and putting Pittman in Edwards LB spot makes more sense. The Hoover experiment this year is over. As soon as he entered the game BC wants after him hard.

Ive been a supporter of Kelly on this Forum... but last night was not a good night for him.

Just my 3 cents...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    And the frustrating part is Lions already had a big punt return. That was the canary in the coal mine and should have been the wake up call to tighten things up.

I feel like special teams are not being given as high as importance as they should.

vCash

Like everybody here i love Mike Reilly. That being said, he has one obvious weakness: on second and four he can have a wide open player 5 yards down the field he can pass the guaranteed first down to, but he will more often than not go 30 yards downfield to Williams or Walker for a 50/50 ball. Sometimes we get it, but the 50% of the time we dont, we lose possession. I feel much of the issues he had last night was always looking for the deep ball on first or second down, forcing plays to a double teamed WIlliams, when there were other wide open receivers.

Last night somebody responded to me that WIlliams is the first option and he doesnt have time to check for his second option...then i would respond by saying if you know Williams is being double or sometimes triple teamed, make your FIRST option to look for Stafford or Behar. That is the high probability, possession maintaining play that wins games.

I hate Calgary and agree that BLM is overrated, but their system is built on long, boring, predictable drives built on 5-10 yard passes, with the long ball always an option. For the Esks, it seems like the low probability big play is used too often. It requires more time from the oline and can be taken away by the defence. Until Reilly (and Maas) shows the discipline to build drives like that based on high probability plays the offence will be stuck in the mud.

Special teams has been a problem since Jones/Dickenson left. I am sure much of it has to do with coaching but i suspect there is a personnel issue there also. Why the hell did the esks release a special teams stud like Miller? Shouldnt veteran Canadians like that be around in free agency for cheap? I cant imagine miller was that highly paid. Not sure what the problem is there but it seems it hasnt been a focus for Brock to recruit those special teams specialists, and the coaching has been awful for three straight seasons.

I am not on twitter, but could somebody who is please ask Dave Campbell or Morley Scott why Hoover went in for Taylor instead of Arjen Colquoun? That one decision seemed to cost us the game. If Arjen is still injured they need to play a backup import DB or everytime a starter goes down we might as well give the other team a touchdown. If he isnt injured why the hell isnt he playing? Hoover is ok on specials and has good speed but he cant play as a corner against an import receiver.

vCash

SectionQ's constant Bazzie is getting a bit much... We get it. You don't like him.

It's got nothing to do with me not liking him. It's got everything to do with him making 160k which is the salaries of at least 2 decent players and him putting up ZERO's game after game. He's making big money CFL wise. He was brought in and being paid to be an impact D End and he's not. There isn't a person in this site that I have seen who has said he hasn't grossly underperformed. A guy making that much money shouldn't be putting up zeros game after game and a person shouldn't have to search to find a time he actually makes the odd play. It should be obvious. It would be no different if we were talking about Walker who is making big money and he went out game after game and he catches a pass or 2 but drops 5 or 6 and then someone comes back and says "Well he caught 2". He's being paid big money to be a very good receiver and he is a very good receiver and makes big plays every single game. So he's doing exactly what the signed him for.

But from now on, I will keep my mouth shut on Bazzie since people don't like me picking on him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post

I am not on twitter, but could somebody who is please ask Dave Campbell or Morley Scott why Hoover went in for Taylor instead of Arjen Colquoun? That one decision seemed to cost us the game. If Arjen is still injured they need to play a backup import DB or everytime a starter goes down we might as well give the other team a touchdown. If he isnt injured why the hell isnt he playing? Hoover is ok on specials and has good speed but he cant play as a corner against an import receiver.
    I asked the same question about Taylor earlier on. Taylor was playing really well, panel was talking about how good he's been. Second half comes out, there is Hoover getting torched and Lulay went immediately after him and it didn't take long before it was in the endzone with his guy catching it. Based on the depth chart the posted, it was Taylor, Colquhoun, Hoover, Onyeka. If Taylor went down, where was Colquhoun? Hoover has decent enough speed to keep up but I don't think he is experienced enough or doesn't recognize whats happening fast enough to be trying to cover an import receiver like you said. Every time, he's a step or 2 behind and all your see is a wide open receiver with Hoover and all his hair flying in the air trying to make a miracle play.

vCash

It's got nothing to do with me not liking him. It's got everything to do with him making 160k which is the salaries of at least 2 decent players and him putting up ZERO's game after game. He's making big money CFL wise. He was brought in and being paid to be an impact D End and he's not. There isn't a person in this site that I have seen who has said he hasn't grossly underperformed. A guy making that much money shouldn't be putting up zeros game after game and a person shouldn't have to search to find a time he actually makes the odd play. It should be obvious. It would be no different if we were talking about Walker who is making big money and he went out game after game and he catches a pass or 2 but drops 5 or 6 and then someone comes back and says "Well he caught 2". He's being paid big money to be a very good receiver and he is a very good receiver and makes big plays every single game. So he's doing exactly what the signed him for.

But from now on, I will keep my mouth shut on Bazzie since people don't like me picking on him.
    He makes 160k? Source?

I believe you're not making that # up but that's shocking.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    He makes 160k? Source?

I believe you're not making that # up but that's shocking.
    That's what was reported at the time. http://3downnation.com/2018/02/13/es...ineman-bazzie/

Here is a Edmonton Sun Article. Which says its in the 160K range, more than what Willis was making. https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...er-alex-bazzie

I also remember reading a tweet from Farhan Lalji who's pretty tapped in for the CFL and is a BC guy commenting he was shocked Bazzie got that much. I guess unless you get the actual number from the team or him, that could be wrong but that is the number floating around so I would assume it's right or darn close.

vCash

The most disappointing thing about last nights game is IMO they gave away a game they should have won. BC is struggling and not that good. They also gave away a game to the Argos who lost Ricky Ray and are not that good. So they should be 7-1 instead of 5-3. The Stamps are 7-0 on a bye this week. They play the Riders in Regina. I doubt the Stamps lose but who knows. The Esks next week have the Als which should be an automatic win. Then the following week the Esks play the Ticats, a very winnable game while the Stamps play the Bombers. So the Stamps have the tougher schedule going into Labour day. SO if the Esks got their business done, the back to backs around labour day should have been a show down for first. Now it's not happening as I don't see the Stamps losing 2 games in a row in the lead up to labour day.

vCash

I asked the same question about Taylor earlier on. Taylor was playing really well, panel was talking about how good he's been. Second half comes out, there is Hoover getting torched and Lulay went immediately after him and it didn't take long before it was in the endzone with his guy catching it. Based on the depth chart the posted, it was Taylor, Colquhoun, Hoover, Onyeka. If Taylor went down, where was Colquhoun? Hoover has decent enough speed to keep up but I don't think he is experienced enough or doesn't recognize whats happening fast enough to be trying to cover an import receiver like you said. Every time, he's a step or 2 behind and all your see is a wide open receiver with Hoover and all his hair flying in the air trying to make a miracle play.
    I don’t remember the exact point in the game (early 3rd quarter perhaps?) when Taylor came out of the game nursing what appeared to be a lower left arm injury. The useless Hoover went in for him & BC went after him for 3 consecutive plays resulting in a short TD pass to Kevin Elliott. For the life of me, I couldn’t understand why Colqhoun wasn’t inserted instead?
    He’s been on the active roster for 2 games now but hasn’t had a sniff at his usual position at left CB. This is piss poor roster management yet I don’t recall either Morley or Donut Dave asking Maas why this is?
    Taylor returned to the game later in the 3rd....
    Last edited by writfiler; 08-10-2018 at 01:17 PM.

vCash

This is piss poor roster management yet I don’t recall either Morley or Donut Dave asking Maas why this is?

because they're horrible. and only rah rah Eskimos

vCash

Hoover did get picked on....I am not entirely sure why we didn't call a defense to give him a bit more support. Kudos to Jackson for calling everything his way...we didn't have an answer...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Hoover did get picked on....I am not entirely sure why we didn't call a defense to give him a bit more support. Kudos to Jackson for calling everything his way...we didn't have an answer...
    not sure myself... no adjustments from Bene, but according to Donut Dave Bene is doing Great!

vCash

not sure myself... no adjustments from Bene, but according to Donut Dave Bene is doing Great!
    I think Benny's defense was pretty decent. Save for essentially 2 drives. The problem was we were again losing the special teams battle and lucky to start at our 30.

When the opposing team throws for 239 yards and rushes for 40 yards....you should not lose the game. By the same token we had 370 yards in offense. 14 penalties for 132 is just killer.
    Last edited by stamphater; 08-10-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Everyone is talking about how the Eskimos O imploded, but that doesn’t give enough credit to the BC D, especially their D-line. They made the Esks O-line look not so good in the 2nd half & managed to majorly pressure & rattle Reilly. That set the tone.

Also, Reilly is not used to play after play after play of that kind of pressure coming at him nowadays & he was shooketh.

That's what was reported at the time. http://3downnation.com/2018/02/13/es...ineman-bazzie/

Here is a Edmonton Sun Article. Which says its in the 160K range, more than what Willis was making. https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...er-alex-bazzie

I also remember reading a tweet from Farhan Lalji who's pretty tapped in for the CFL and is a BC guy commenting he was shocked Bazzie got that much. I guess unless you get the actual number from the team or him, that could be wrong but that is the number floating around so I would assume it's right or darn close.
    It probably “leaked” via Bazzie’s agent because you know for a fact it was not Ed telling everyone. All it tells me us that BS had to overpay many key guys to get them to come here or stay here.

Other random thoughts:

1. All y’all complaining about bad Thursday night match ups and games should be happier now. From a marketing perspective, both games last week were good & so was yesterday (recall:from a CFL marketing perspective part).

2. Did TSN play any of the live mic from the Esks bench? The interaction between Reilly & his O-line at multiple points in the 2nd half would have been....hmmm... interesting, for lack of a better word. He was not happy!!!