vCash

DVD 1988 Esks vs All stars

I canít believe I have no memory of this at all

https://youtu.be/NdUWcuTjMCM
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 1988 Esks vs All stars

#waycool...if anyone actually has one of those Eskimo allstar jerseys in their collection that would be awesome.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Just watched the game...seems pretty clear why they don't do all-star games anymore
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Wow. I don't remember it either. 'Course ... I was living in St. Louis, MO, at the time ... (lol).
    Damon Allen. Man ... those were the days ....

vCash

A little background on that game: this was the first game Matt Dunigan played after being traded to the BC Lions. He was voted an All Star for his play in green and gold in 1987 so it felt weird seeing him suit up for the other guys that year. It was also the return of Jack Parker, who had stepped down from the Esks' HC position 2 games into the '87 season. This game was considered the Esks' first pre-season game, but they looked plenty warmed up 2 weeks later when they crushed the Stamps 44-25.

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Just watched the game...seems pretty clear why they don't do all-star games anymore
    To be fair this was also prior to any pre-season games. Watch the 1983 All-Star Game sometime where it was done the week after Grey Cup (also the last game in the CFL for Warren Moon and Dave Fennell):
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Yeah, in that 1988 game it looked like an early preseason game. Just no coordination, guys didn't know their assignments. For the all-star team, there was more skill overall but they only had about 12 plays. Looked like a lot of guys were playing to avoid being hurt.

It said during the broadcast that at around 28K, it was the biggest crowd ever to attend an all-star game, by a couple thousand.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Yeah, in that 1988 game it looked like a Kavis Reed coachedgame. Just no coordination, guys didn't know their assignments. For the all-star team, there was more skill overall but they only had about 12 plays. Looked like a lot of guys were playing to avoid being hurt.

It said during the broadcast that at around 28K, it was the biggest crowd ever to attend an all-star game, by a couple thousand.
    Fixed
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Yeah, in that 1988 game it looked like an early preseason game. Just no coordination, guys didn't know their assignments. For the all-star team, there was more skill overall but they only had about 12 plays. Looked like a lot of guys were playing to avoid being hurt.

Yeah, the reason they stopped doing them was because nobody really attended. I believe 28K included season ticket holders, whether they showed up or not. I'm not sure it was that full based on "bums in seats" tho.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

So, kind of how they count attendance now...