Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with this One Empire business?

vCash

Rant What's with this One Empire business?

What's this One Empire thing the Eskimos have been touting/marketing? It's annoying. It reminds me of the "Leafs Nation".

The Esks should cut it out. It actively undermines my lifelong aesthetic preference for the Eskimos.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Re: What's with this One Empire business?

I don't mind it... at least they are trying to do things to attract younger fans.

vCash

This is just to get you warmed up for when the name change is finally approved.

Seriously though, I'm kind of worried that Cuthbert referred to the Esks several times on different broadcasts as "The Empire".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    What's this One Empire thing the Eskimos have been touting/marketing? It's annoying. It reminds me of the "Leafs Nation".

The Esks should cut it out. It actively undermines my lifelong aesthetic preference for the Eskimos.

I like the slogan as well. And I am glad it just wasn't a one and done thing, like most marketing campaigns. It's something as Esks4ever said, younger audiences need to be attracted, and this is at least an attempt, if anything.

vCash

I think I saw a cloud outside you could go yell at.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Well they'll turn me from the big fan I've been since 1960 to a bitter enemy.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I think I saw a cloud outside you could go yell at.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

The name fits the EE logo...and by embracing a name that was used by bitter opposing fans to taunt us, we're re-living the history of the original Eskimos name. I take pride in it. (Not that I'm advocating a name change!)
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Well they'll turn me from the big fan I've been since 1960 to a bitter enemy.

That is disappointing. I'm sure most Ottawa football fans will tell you that despite the name change, they are proud to support Ottawa football.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post

Seriously though, I'm kind of worried that Cuthbert referred to the Esks several times on different broadcasts as "The Empire".
    Ding ding ding....we have a winner.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    That is disappointing. I'm sure most Ottawa football fans will tell you that despite the name change, they are proud to support Ottawa football.
    Huh? I'm a fan of the Edmonton Eskimos. How and why should that translate into being a supporter let alone proud supporter of Edmonton football in general?

Radically Canadian!

Are you the same person that asked this question on the official CFL site forums. It was july 5 using the name Balticfox ? I have never posted there. But I read the forums there in an honest to educate myself.

vCash

Huh? I'm a fan of the Edmonton Eskimos. How and why should that translate into being a supporter let alone proud supporter of Edmonton football in general?

You said you would be an enemy of the football club with an eventual name change.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce LeeRoy View Post
    Are you the same person that asked this question on the official CFL site forums. It was july 5 using the name Balticfox ? I have never posted there. But I read the forums there in an honest to educate myself.
    Yes. And I'm also Balticfox in TSN CFL Fantasy.

I've been posting as Foxhound though on many and varied forums since 2001 or so.

brerfox (1).jpg

Last edited by Foxhound; 08-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Radically Canadian!

vCash

Bit of a different situation. In Ottawa, it wasn't just a name change, the team itself was brand new. A new name made sense. Here, the name change would be to satisfy a tiny number of social justice warriors, in the name of BS political correctness.

vCash

You said you would be an enemy of the football club with an eventual name change.
    Well yeah! If the team I've loved and cherished since 1960 is buried and supplanted by a team whose name I strongly dislike of course I'm going to resent the new team! And this Empire thing I hate for several reasons:

1. I really dislike singular team names.
    2. "Empire" to me hearkens back to the British Empire. Growing up I always chaffed at Canada not quite being a full grown country in its own right, e.g. God Save the Queen being our "national" anthem and a variant of the British flag being our flag. I was proud and delighted the day we got a flag of our own in 1964.
    3. I suspect a change from the "Eskimos" name would be because of pressure emanating from special interest groups with no vested interest in or affection for the Edmonton Eskimos in particular or Canadian football in general. I would be very angry if the professional agitators who don't live by my credos of "Vote with your pocketbook! He who pays the piper calls the tune." and "Put up or shut up!" got their way.

Therefore a change from the Eskimos would have me consigning the new team into the list of teams that I regard as hated enemies, e.g. New England Patriots (I hate teams named after areas larger than cities and I don't like the jingoistic American aspect of the name. Moreover I'm an enemy of American football in general.), New York Yankees, Montreal Canadiens and all those newfangled sunbelt hockey teams that shouldn't exist.

I'd post a list of my favourite teams, but that would be off topic for this thread.

Last edited by Foxhound; 08-20-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Radically Canadian!

vCash

Interesting...

vCash

Speaking as a younger fan - and as someone who was born in a British colonized country that isn’t Canada (if that really matters which it likely doesn’t) - the whole “Empire” thing could be a really smart marketing move, because the first thing I think of is Star Wars.

You could actually do a whole bunch of cool things with that, even without Star Wars.

Also, wasn’t the “Evil Empire” the marketing campaign circa 2008 or so?

vCash

Well yeah! If the team I've loved and cherished since 1960 is buried and supplanted by a team whose name I strongly dislike of course I'm going to resent the new team! And this Empire thing I hate for several reasons:

1. I really dislike singular team names.
    2. "Empire" to me hearkens back to the British Empire. Growing up I always chaffed at Canada not quite being a full grown country in its own right, e.g. God Save the Queen being our "national" anthem and a variant of the British flag being our flag. I was proud and delighted the day we got a flag of our own in 1964.
    3. I suspect a change from the "Eskimos" name would be because of pressure emanating from special interest groups with no vested interest in or affection for the Edmonton Eskimos in particular or Canadian football in general. I would be very angry if the professional agitators who don't live by my credos of "Vote with your pocketbook! He who pays the piper calls the tune." and "Put up or shut up!" got their way.

Therefore a change from the Eskimos would have me consigning the new team into the list of teams that I regard as hated enemies, e.g. New England Patriots (I hate teams named after areas larger than cities and I don't like the jingoistic American aspect of the name. Moreover I'm an enemy of American football in general.), New York Yankees, Montreal Canadiens and all those newfangled sunbelt hockey teams that shouldn't exist.)

I'd post a list of my favourite teams, but that would be off topic for this thread.

I think there's a cure for this.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Solipsism or will just plain apathy do? And are you sure the "cure" wouldn't be worse than the malady?

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Speaking as a younger fan - and as someone who was born in a British colonized country that isn’t Canada (if that really matters which it likely doesn’t) - the whole “Empire” thing could be a really smart marketing move, because the first thing I think of is Star Wars.

You could actually do a whole bunch of cool things with that, even without Star Wars.

Also, wasn’t the “Evil Empire” the marketing campaign circa 2008 or so?
    Came from Calgary and (especially) Saskatchewan fans, who gave us the name in the late 70s and early 80s because we just wouldn't stop winning.

Yes, it comes from the Star Wars movies.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Came from Calgary and (especially) Saskatchewan fans, who gave us the name in the late 70s and early 80s because we just wouldn't stop winning.

I still think the team should enter the field to start the game with the Imperial March playing.

vCash

I still think the team should enter the field to start the game with the Imperial March playing.
    I'd go for Bat out of Hell and have motorcycles go out first.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

They've done it before.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I'm not big on this Hollywood movie stuff either.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

To be clear, I have no problem with the "empire" moniker. What I take issue with is the possibility of caving to pressure applied by a tiny minority. Political correctness is ruining a lot of good things. I hope to not see football as one of them.

vCash

Worse yet a tiny minority without any interest in the team otherwise.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

As long as it’s purely a marketing thing, I like it. The first commercial when they launched this campaign last year with the players and fans charging through the fog was pure gold.

But if it turns out to be a hidden way to slowly start the process of changing the name, I will not be impressed.

I maintain that there is no way in hell that the Eskimos should be catering to the loud politically correct minority who still won’t follow the team even if a name change occurs.

vCash

Edmonton Empire is only a good name if indeed we live up to it.
    We have had one great season, winning the Cup in 2015, in the last … 12 years. It was our only GC appearance during those years. This is year 13. In a eight or nine team league that is a bit below average. In those 12 years every other team has appeared in the GC at least once, and all but Winnipeg and Hamilton have won the Cup at least once.
    In my opinion with the Departure of Hugh Campbell we stopped being the Evil Empire.
    When I moved to Saskatoon 1990, people there hated the Esks and were angry that I was an Esk fan.
    Years later during the Maciocia era, they pitied me and offered me maybe next year platitudes.

vCash

Some of the ignorance in this thread shows a total lack of awareness for those that have been called Eskimo as what they felt to be, or what had come to be within their community, a derogatory term.

How rude of them to not consult with some as to how they should feel.

I don't want the name changed, and I recognize that there are some that make it an issue while being offended on the part of others, but I am not so blindly ignorant to recognize that it is a real issue for some that do have very real and relevant feelings toward the word and specifically how it has been used towards them and their people.

Call the team whatever they will, I am not turning my back on something that has been so central to each of my 5 decades.