Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

vCash

Re: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

All of those "this is a non-scandal" people have egg on their faces today. This isn't even the first time Trudeau has violated conflict of interest rules either.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    All of those "this is a non-scandal" people have egg on their faces today. This isn't even the first time Trudeau has violated conflict of interest rules either.
    I feel it's one of those moments where because Trudeau did it, it is a big story. If it was Harper/Scheer... meh.
    The Prime Minister has apologized in the past for the only other previous conflict (the family vacation). It will be interesting to see how he handles this one. Not good for him heading into election season for sure.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I feel it's one of those moments where because Trudeau did it, it is a big story. If it was Harper/Scheer... meh.
    The Prime Minister has apologized in the past for the only other previous conflict (the family vacation). It will be interesting to see how he handles this one. Not good for him heading into election season for sure.
    Sorry, mate, but I can't agree. Harper's party had its scandals and they were always big news stories.

But Harper's gang, while often shady, never did anything as bad as LavScam (or the Mark Norman affair, for that matter). Not only that, but the PMO denied the Ethics Commissioner access to evidence, which is obstruction of justice.

This is, in fact, an even bigger deal than the coverage it is getting.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Sorry, mate, but I can't agree. Harper's party had its scandals and they were always big news stories.

But Harper's gang, while often shady, never did anything as bad as LavScam (or the Mark Norman affair, for that matter). Not only that, but the PMO denied the Ethics Commissioner access to evidence, which is obstruction of justice.

This is, in fact, an even bigger deal than the coverage it is getting.
    But, no apology necessary.

vCash

It's too bad Andrew Scheer is such a dud.

If, right now, 1 in 4 Albertans supports separation from Canada, what will happen to those numbers is/when Trudeau has a minority propped up by the NDP and Greens? What happens to our resource sector then?

Scoff at that at your own peril. I'm super worried.

vCash

Watching the Trudeau press conference right now. He's handling it well (as well as could be expected), taking all responsibility for the actions of everyone involved - as he said, "the buck stops here at the Prime Minister's Office". How much will it impact things. I guess we find out in a couple months.

vCash

It's too bad Andrew Scheer is such a dud.

If, right now, 1 in 4 Albertans supports separation from Canada, what will happen to those numbers is/when Trudeau has a minority propped up by the NDP and Greens? What happens to our resource sector then?

Scoff at that at your own peril. I'm super worried.
    Who is this Andrew Scheer you speak of?

I don't think JT has a hope in hell to get re-elected, does he?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Who is this Andrew Scheer you speak of?

I don't think JT has a hope in hell to get re-elected, does he?
    The Liberals are leading about 35%-32%.

How about a Trudeau minority propped up by the NDP and Greens. It is the MOST likely possibility right now.

1in 4 becomes 2 in 4 pretty fast.

vCash

The Liberals are leading about 35%-32%.
    It is pretty much a dead heat now. This latest report is bound to hurt the Liberals. And debates haven't even started. Way too early to call.

vCash

It is pretty much a dead heat now. This latest report is bound to hurt the Liberals. And debates haven't even started. Way too early to call.
    The writ will drop 1 month from now, with election day 36 days after that.

Have YOU seen anything from Andrew Scheer that leads you to believe he will capture the country's imagination?

vCash

The writ will drop 1 month from now, with election day 36 days after that.

Have YOU seen anything from Andrew Scheer that leads you to believe he will capture the country's imagination?
    minority govt coming one way or another, with the recession that's coming a party might be better not to win
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I saw him today. So awkward. You are right.

I'm just going by the mood but that is basically Western sentiment which is always blue. Not sure what the feeling is out East but I don't think Doug Ford is helping the Cons.

vCash

I'm just going by the mood but that is basically Western sentiment which is always blue. Not sure what the feeling is out East but I don't think Doug Ford is helping the Cons.
    Yeah, Scheer would've probably preferred that Ford won a year or so later than he did. I guess it's for similar reasons that Kenney is not rolling out his first Alberta budget until after the federal election. The less info the better...

vCash

He's worse when he gets unrehersed questions. I'd say to watch how many times he plays with his ring when he gets nervous and take a shot but you'd get alcohol poisoning...
    Nope people are not loving Dougie in Ontario hence why he's been told to keep a low profile during the campaign.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    minority govt coming one way or another, with the recession that's coming a party might be better not to win
    A recession + Trudeau minority + issue by issue support from May and Singh = 25% support for separation becomes 50%. And that scares the holy hell out of me.

vCash

A recession + Trudeau minority + issue by issue support from May and Singh = 25% support for separation becomes 50%. And that scares the holy hell out of me.
    Doesn't scare me one iota and I'll tell you why. The person that's pushing separation (Kenney) really really really really wants to be prime minister more than a fat kid wants chocolate cake, in fact he's looking for Scheer to falter. You can't be PM if the country separates. He also knows that, he also knows that in order to win an election in 2023 he's going to need a complete buy in by the west because he won't get jack **** in Quebec. As much as I'm not a fan of the man personally Kenney is without a doubt one of the smartest politicians there ever has been he calculates every move he makes strategically. This separation crap is just bluster to build him up as the man who protects the west against the fat cats in Ottawa schtick.

FYi that's not just coming from me but people whom have far more knowledge into the man and the current climate of the CPC.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Doesn't scare me one iota and I'll tell you why. The person that's pushing separation (Kenney) really really really really wants to be prime minister more than a fat kid wants chocolate cake, in fact he's looking for Scheer to falter. You can't be PM if the country separates. He also knows that, he also knows that in order to win an election in 2023 he's going to need a complete buy in by the west because he won't get jack **** in Quebec. As much as I'm not a fan of the man personally Kenney is without a doubt one of the smartest politicians there ever has been he calculates every move he makes strategically. This separation crap is just bluster to build him up as the man who protects the west against the fat cats in Ottawa schtick.

FYi that's not just coming from me but people whom have far more knowledge into the man and the current climate of the CPC.
    If that is his strategy then he's not as smart as you think he is. There hasn't been a Premier that became PM since the 19th century.

Of the 338 seats in Parliament, and of the 170 needed for a majority, 121 are in Ontario and 78 are in Quebec. A further 32 are in Atlantic Canada.

You could win every seat in the west and only get to 104.

FFIW, you still may not be wrong. BUT, I think his strategy is to threaten to inflame separatist sentiment not just in AB and SK, but in QC as a means of getting Ottawa to cave to a better deal. Whatever that is.

vCash

If that is his strategy then he's not as smart as you think he is. There hasn't been a Premier that became PM since the 19th century.

Of the 338 seats in Parliament, and of the 170 needed for a majority, 121 are in Ontario and 78 are in Quebec. A further 32 are in Atlantic Canada.

You could win every seat in the west and only get to 104.

FFIW, you still may not be wrong. BUT, I think his strategy is to threaten to inflame separatist sentiment not just in AB and SK, but in QC as a means of getting Ottawa to cave to a better deal. Whatever that is.
    They weren't Jason Kenney though. My mother whom has run a zillion successful campaigns for the conservatives and Sask party and told me she's never met anyone that can organize and stategize like Jason. (Side note he asked her to come work for him but she had a promise to Scheer to get him through til 2020 and then retire).

I know what you're saying but let's say you can grab 90 from the west ok? You should be able to grab at least 10 from atlantic Canada and 5 from the areas in Quebec that always vote CPC. Now all you have to do is basically split Ontario. It's alot easier than having to get half of Ontario and Quebec.

We'll make a friendly bet ok? If Scheer loses (or possibly only wins a minority) he'll be out as leader - I know 4 names that will be in there for the leadership or so I've heard - MacKay, Raitt, O'Toole and Kenney. If/when that happens we'll make a gentleman's bet on who wins the leadership.

Seeing how the dow is getting 0 bounceback today, gold is going up and tomorrow is the worst day of the week in the markets I would say the next PM whomever they are is going to have some very very serious issues on their hands.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

They weren't Jason Kenney though. My mother whom has run a zillion successful campaigns for the conservatives and Sask party and told me she's never met anyone that can organize and stategize like Jason. (Side note he asked her to come work for him but she had a promise to Scheer to get him through til 2020 and then retire).

I know what you're saying but let's say you can grab 90 from the west ok? You should be able to grab at least 10 from atlantic Canada and 5 from the areas in Quebec that always vote CPC. Now all you have to do is basically split Ontario. It's alot easier than having to get half of Ontario and Quebec.

We'll make a friendly bet ok? If Scheer loses (or possibly only wins a minority) he'll be out as leader - I know 4 names that will be in there for the leadership or so I've heard - MacKay, Raitt, O'Toole and Kenney. If/when that happens we'll make a gentleman's bet on who wins the leadership.

Seeing how the dow is getting 0 bounceback today, gold is going up and tomorrow is the worst day of the week in the markets I would say the next PM whomever they are is going to have some very very serious issues on their hands.
    I'll take that bet. If Scheer loses and gets dumped as leader it will have been less than a year since he became Premier. No way he leaves that job so early on.

What's the bet?

vCash

You can't be PM if the country separates.
    Wouldn't the new country need a PM (or whatever the leader will be called)?

vCash

I'll take that bet. If Scheer loses and gets dumped as leader it will have been less than a year since he became Premier. No way he leaves that job so early on.

What's the bet?
    Well we both love cats so how about a 10 dollar donation to the animal rescue agency of the other's choosing? That way no matter which way it goes those little fur babies win.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Well we both love cats so how about a 10 dollar donation to the animal rescue agency of the other's choosing? That way no matter which way it goes those little fur babies win.
    Brilliant! We have an accord!

vCash

If Alberta separates, I'm moving to Canada.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    If Alberta separates, I'm moving to Canada.
    If Alberta separates I'm moving to Puerto Vallarta.

vCash

If Alberta seperates I'm coming to live with you....sorry Puerto Vallarta sounds a whole lot better than Chicoutimi
    In Rod we trust

vCash

If Alberta seperates I'm coming to live with you....sorry Puerto Vallarta sounds a whole lot better than Chicoutimi
    I go there every year. Love the place like a second home.

vCash

I go there every year. Love the place like a second home.
    That's how I feel about Vegas during the 1st or 2nd week of college football. =) Speaking of which I've had enough politics I'm going to go upload the depth chart so we can bitch about something else.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Wouldn't the new country need a PM (or whatever the leader will be called)?
    Would the name be Governor?

vCash

I'm not old enough to retire yet, but that might be the longer term plan.

vCash

Hard to imagine a bigger mess than we have right now at the Federal level. This election is just a disaster, there's nobody to vote for. All scum bags, all full of terrible policies. Brutal.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.