Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

vCash

Re: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

We have the lowest corporate tax rates, and that's where the $4.5 billion were cut, not personal taxes. (12% was tied for lowest already).

And when you refer to the "fallacy that makes the assumption that earnings don't belong to those who earn them in the first place", are you referring to the corporation and it's shareholders deserving the profits, or the usually underpaid workers that made those earning possible in the first place?

Alberta fell behind in spending efficiency long ago because they were so focused on the bottom line that they neglected looking at outcomes. In health care, it is more expensive initially to prevent illness, but saves lots of money later if you don't have to treat it. BC, Quebec, and Ontario made those initial investments, and it is paying off now.

I'll give you a very specific example in the field of health that I work in. Assertive Community Treatment teams are used to treat patients with severe and persistent mental illness (such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder). This model of treatment was developed in the 70's during deinstitutionalization, where up until that time these patients had essentially lived in psychiatric hospitals. As treatment options had gotten better, it was assumed that they could simply be discharged into the community en masse. However, within one year, 90% of these patients were back in hospital, in jail (the other "institution"), or dead. It turns out that they didn't just need good medication, they needed support in the community. Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) provided intensive support to the sickest of the sick, the "frequent flyers" that were so ill that they didn't even understand that they were ill or were too disorganized from their illness to attend their own needs properly, so while they would improve in hospital, upon discharge they would stop their medication, not attend their follow-up appointments, and become ill again and require acute hospitalization again, at great expense to the system. ACT brings the treatment to them, with one therapist assigned to no more than ten patients so they can find them in the shelters and group homes and park benches, and prevent the relapses in the first place. However, the treatment is so intense, it does not save any health care dollars compared to chronic hospitalization. What doesn't show up in the savings in health care dollars is the savings in other areas: reduced legal costs, reduced housing costs, reduced costs of family members taking time off work to deal with them, in some cases, these patients, despite being so ill, get better enough that they can work or volunteer and contribute back to the system. Other provinces saw the value in this model and invested in them decades ago (Ontario committed $50 million per year back in the late 90's to setting up 50 teams across the province). Alberta saw no savings in the health budget, and so did not. It wouldn't have cost any more money, but it didn't cost any less, so they stuck with the status quo. And patients and their families have suffered because of it. For the past 15 years I have worked as part of a group to piece these services together from existing resources. Finally, over the past few years, the NDP paid more than just lip service to addressing mental health issues in this province, and we started to finally get resources to move us closer to the model as it is described in the literature. And then, the UCP got in, and that progress has come to a crashing halt. And that is only a single example: the "super lab" and safe injection sites have been more publicized as initiatives that had high start up costs but would have created much more efficiency very shortly are already cancelled or on hold.

The spending problem is trying to win an election right now, and not considering investing in the future. Continuing to subsidize the already obscenely profitable (but slowly dying) oil industry instead of investing now in diversifying the economy to be less reliant on world oil prices or if another province blocks a pipeline. Moving back to outdated curriculums and standardized testing (that assumes that all kids learn the same way and there is only one way to measure that) while classroom sizes get larger and larger, instead of investing in the kids that will one day be taking care of us and running this province. Pretending that climate change doesn't exist and not investing in changes now, when cleaning the damage will be multiple more times more expensive in just a few short years. One example after another of the waste that the UCP has resumed after one term of NDP couldn't clean up the mess left by 44 years of conservative rule quickly enough.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Valid points.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm no fan of Mr. Kenney. I mean, the first bloody thing he did was go after GSAs in schools. That's telling.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Alberta DOES have a spending problem.
    Massive, abhorrent one at that. Throwing more money at under performing sacred cow institutions will solve nothing. Canada's standard of healthcare has steadily declined compared to our global neigbours and we keep shoveling money into it. Definition of insanity

The sacred cow institutions need a massive renovation, not another coat of paint.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Holy crap! Justin Trudeau in Brownface!

Now, I'll be the first to admit that people can do stupid things in the past when they are young.

In 2001 Brownface was not okay.
    In 2001 Justin Trudeau was 30! Easily old enough to know better.
    In 2019 Justin Trudeau is the most preachy, politically correct politician in the country. Easily the most PC PM ever.

That is all aside from the reaction from Trudeau had it been Scheer.

Justin is just too much hypocrisy.

Wost. PM. Ever. He has to go!
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Disappointing that he did what he did. Appreciate that he responded quickly with remorse and full accountability (unlike some politicians) I think Ed the Sock has the best perspective on this all though

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

As someone with chocolatey brown skin, I have a few thoughts about this:

1. It was 2001. Nobody cared about blackface & brownface back then.
    2. He was in his late 20s having fun....in 2001....
    3. When my brother sent this to me, my initial reaction was horror at the bad makeup & then I laughed & laughed & laughed — which is apparently how everyone in our circle has reacted.
    4. It’s an unfortunate distraction from actual racism & bigotry.

Nothing here to see or get all in a fuss about.....except really bad makeup hahahaha ��

Edit: oops he was 30. Oh well.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-18-2019 at 09:24 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    As someone with chocolatey brown skin, I have a few thoughts about this:

1. It was 2001. Nobody cared about blackface & brownface back then.
    2. He was in his late 20s having fun....in 2001....
    3. When my brother sent this to me, my initial reaction was horror at the bad makeup & then I laughed & laughed & laughed — which is apparently how everyone in our circle has reacted.
    4. It’s an unfortunate distraction from actual racism & bigotry.

Nothing here to see or get all in a fuss about.....except really bad makeup hahahaha ��

Edit: oops he was 30. Oh well.
    Mate, you're so wrong. There's no bloody way that blackface was acceptable in 2001. He was 30 (old enough to know better), and he is the preachiest PC PM of all time.

Live by PC, die by PC. Also, you don't think that's REAL racism? Jeebus!
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 09-19-2019 at 06:17 AM.

vCash

Right around this time the Oilers had the team with the most black players on it, I believe it was 5 Laraque, Greer, Carter, Brown and 1 more that slips my mind. My buddies and I were all in our early 20’s and thought it would be a fun idea to makeup up as black people with each of their numbers as a way to pay homage to them and go to a game, until one of my parents suggested it could be construed as being racist. That hadn’t even crossed our young dumb minds until then. I’m really glad I had my train of thought straightened out and we never went through with it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Right around this time the Oilers had the team with the most black players on it, I believe it was 5 Laraque, Greer, Carter, Brown and 1 more that slips my mind. My buddies and I were all in our early 20’s and thought it would be a fun idea to makeup up as black people with each of their numbers as a way to pay homage to them and go to a game, until one of my parents suggested it could be construed as being racist. That hadn’t even crossed our young dumb minds until then. I’m really glad I had my train of thought straightened out and we never went through with it.
    I think we've all done some dumb ass stuff in our day. I know I have. I've learned from it and am a better human being as a result.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'd love to see the media reaction if it was Scheer in brownface... The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I think we've all done some dumb ass stuff in our day. I know I have. I've learned from it and am a better human being as a result.
    But can one use age as an explanation at 30 years old? And can "it's a long time ago" be used as an excuse when the year is 2001? Blackface has been considered racist an unacceptable since long before that.

And if the person in question has never given any slack to other offenders, should we give him any?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Wost. PM. Ever. He has to go!
    I don't dispute that Trudeau is a terrible leader. But who do you replace him with?

The homophobe leader of the party that has been hijacked by the alt-right that will leave Kenney and Ford unchecked?

The racist leader of the other party that was born from the alt-right that will embolden Kenney and Ford to dismantle everything that is great about Canada?

The unrealistic leader of the loony left?

The unrealistic leader of the loonier further left?

I don't like Trudeau, but personally I'm going the party that at least if making some effort to govern towards the center, even if I don't agree with all their policies or leadership choice. I know that in Alberta that's essentially throwing my vote away. The best scenario in my opinion is a Liberal victory that is narrow enough to warrant a change in leadership in spite of winning (or alternately the Liberals win but Trudeau loses his riding and resigns.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I don't dispute that Trudeau is a terrible leader. But who do you replace him with?

The homophobe leader of the party that has been hijacked by the alt-right that will leave Kenney and Ford unchecked?

The racist leader of the other party that was born from the alt-right that will embolden Kenney and Ford to dismantle everything that is great about Canada?

The unrealistic leader of the loony left?

The unrealistic leader of the loonier further left?

I don't like Trudeau, but personally I'm going the party that at least if making some effort to govern towards the center, even if I don't agree with all their policies or leadership choice. I know that in Alberta that's essentially throwing my vote away. The best scenario in my opinion is a Liberal victory that is narrow enough to warrant a change in leadership in spite of winning (or alternately the Liberals win but Trudeau loses his riding and resigns.)
    I'll be voting Conservative. I've heard a lot of accusations of Scheer and the CPC with little or no evidence to back those accusations up. Their platform is only extreme in how extremely moderate it is.
    No, they're not coming for your abortions or your gay marriage. Not going to happen. Not worried about it in the least.

vCash

But can one use age as an explanation at 30 years old? And can "it's a long time ago" be used as an excuse when the year is 2001? Blackface has been considered racist an unacceptable since long before that.

And if the person in question has never given any slack to other offenders, should we give him any?
    How old was Scheer when he made the stupid comment comparing gay marriage to a dog with an extra limb? Offensive. Extremely offensive; and he was in political representative at the time! To date, when questioned, he refuses to apologize for his stupidity. So there's that.

There is also this:

So let's talk about double standards...

There is no denying that Trudeau did something very wrong. Scheer continues to do wrong.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.

vCash

Mate, you haven't convinced me. Trudeau is a staunch Catholic. The Catholic church opposes gay marraige and abortion. Trudeau has stated in the past that he is "personally very opposed to abortion".

Nobody ever mentions that. The double standard is against Scheer, mate. Not in favor of him.

I have 100% certainty that Scheer will not go after gay marriage or abortion.

vCash

Then again, at the last election I thought the Liberals were going to change the election process to something like proportional representation because they promised they would. I believe nothing any of them say anymore. And this is the first election I'm totally lost as to who to vote for.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    Then again, at the last election I thought the Liberals were going to change the election process to something like proportional representation because they promised they would. I believe nothing any of them say anymore. And this is the first election I'm totally lost as to who to vote for.
    I get that. I voted for Trudeau last time. But he's turned out to be such to totally corrupt phoney that I won't do that again. In fact, I'm embarassed to admit I voted for him.

I see a platform from the CPC so far that I like. As usual, the left bring out the "gay marraige" and "abortion" boogeyman whenever a Conservative is in a position to threaten their power.

vCash

Not concerned about what the Liberals are trying to paint the CPC with, but the CPC promises to save everyone money aren't looking much different from the Liberal promises. So that's not inspiring. I've got a bunch more research to do before I roll through the voting booth.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    Not concerned about what the Liberals are trying to paint the CPC with, but the CPC promises to save everyone money aren't looking much different from the Liberal promises. So that's not inspiring. I've got a bunch more research to do before I roll through the voting booth.
    You're not wrong. They all promise the moon and the stars. Scheer is at least not promising to balance the books in the 4 year term AND buy us all the moon.

Look at the NDP playform or the Green one. Cha-Ching!

vCash

Mate, you haven't convinced me. Trudeau is a staunch Catholic. The Catholic church opposes gay marraige and abortion. Trudeau has stated in the past that he is "personally very opposed to abortion".

Nobody ever mentions that. The double standard is against Scheer, mate. Not in favor of him.

I have 100% certainty that Scheer will not go after gay marriage or abortion.
    How many pride parades has Scheer been in? The difference between Scheer and Trudeau is that Trudeau doesn't let his religious views of his church get in the way of taking care of ALL Canadians. Scheer? Not so much, in my opinion.
    Yes, perhaps Scheer won't tackle gay marriage or abortion issues if he wins. I'm personally not willing to bet on that. That's where I stand. Politicians lie. All of them.

Vote for Scheer, DDS. All good. I think you are wise enough and know enough about politics to make an intelligent, informed decision that you feel is best for you. I feel the same way, which is why I don't think I'd ever vote for Scheer. I don't think anyone's opinions are going to be changed in this discussion (like most discussions on the internet ) I'm looking forward to the future leader's debates to see who presents the best (and realistic) proposals for all Canadians.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.

vCash

How many pride parades has Scheer been in? The difference between Scheer and Trudeau is that Trudeau doesn't let his religious views of his church get in the way of taking care of ALL Canadians. Scheer? Not so much, in my opinion.
    Yes, perhaps Scheer won't tackle gay marriage or abortion issues if he wins. I'm personally not willing to bet on that. That's where I stand. Politicians lie. All of them.

Vote for Scheer, DDS. All good. I think you are wise enough and know enough about politics to make an intelligent, informed decision that you feel is best for you. I feel the same way, which is why I don't think I'd ever vote for Scheer. I don't think anyone's opinions are going to be changed in this discussion (like most things on the internet ) I'm looking forward to the future leader's debates to see who presents the best proposal for all Canadians.
    You mean the way he took care of Alberta and Saskatchewan? Yeah he sure took care of ALL Canadians.

vCash

You mean the way he took care of Alberta and Saskatchewan? Yeah he sure took care of ALL Canadians.
    I don't think anyone in Ottawa, regardless of party, has taken care of Alberta the way Albertans expect to be treated by Ottawa

vCash

I don't think anyone in Ottawa, regardless of party, has taken care of Alberta the way Albertans expect to be treated by Ottawa
    They sure like to take our money.

A vote for the Liberals is a vote against Alberta's wel-being and a vote for energy from foriegn dictatorships.

vCash

They sure like to take our money.

A vote for the Liberals is a vote against Alberta's wel-being and a vote for energy from foriegn dictatorships.
    Alberta will never be catered to by a federal gov't so long as the current first pass the post system remains where hundreds of thousands of Albertan's votes are redundant. The system is beyond broken. It's not nearly as bad as it is in the States, but it's certainly headed in the same direction.

Personally, I can't stand any of the current leaders and hope for a minority government.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post

Personally, I can't stand any of the current leaders and hope for a minority government.
    I'm feeling the same way.
    I think it's been beneficial to British Columbia with the NDP and Greens working together in a minority government situation. I think so many people were angry at the former Liberal BC government that they just wanted "anyone else" in. Most minority governments don't last long, but this one has been going well for over two years now.

vCash

A minority Liberal government is the worst possible outcome for Alberta and for national unity.

vCash

A minority Liberal government is the worst possible outcome for Alberta and for national unity.
    Nothing would be worse for national unity than hiring the guy who hangs out with Faith Goldy and has a campaign director who founded the rebel. Let's not pretend Scheer is anything but what he is which is at best as equally unqualified as Trudeau.

A minority government would hopefully lead to changes in leadership in all three major parties and bring someone palatable to the conversation. If the PC's had competent leadership they'd be running away with this, but when Andrew Scheer is the guy and you've got Kenny and Ford ****ing things up everywhere there's no way in hell that's going to be good for anyone.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

All the competent people did not want to run for the CPC leadership because they didn't know how bad Trudeau actually is and expected he would be winning a second term.

vCash

Mate, you're so wrong. There's no bloody way that blackface was acceptable in 2001. He was 30 (old enough to know better), and he is the preachiest PC PM of all time.

Live by PC, die by PC. Also, you don't think that's REAL racism? Jeebus!
    Its not Black face you buy a costume it comes with make up. It was an Aladdin costume for an Arabian nights themed event. I went out at 8 years old and my costume was Aunt Jemima my brother was little black sambo Were we Racist? I know it was 1967 but we were not and are not Racist Neither is Justin. Jeebus!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Vote for Scheer, DDS. All good. I think you are wise enough and know enough about politics to make an intelligent, informed decision that you feel is best for you. I feel the same way, which is why I don't think I'd ever vote for Scheer. I don't think anyone's opinions are going to be changed in this discussion (like most discussions on the internet ) I'm looking forward to the future leader's debates to see who presents the best (and realistic) proposals for all Canadians.

Scheer has stated he will not re open the debate but will not stop his back benchers from doing so.

268 Comments

Open this photo in gallery

Mr. Scheer did not clarify whether he would force cabinet ministers to vote with him or whether they would be allowed to vote based on their personal beliefs.

Chris Young/The Canadian Press

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says he won’t bar his MPs from raising the issue of abortion but will oppose any attempt to reopen the debate.

Mr. Scheer spoke to reporters for the first time Thursday since questions were raised about his stance on same-sex marriage and abortion.

Last week, the Liberals circulated an edited video of Mr. Scheer arguing against the bill legalizing same-sex marriage in the House of Commons in 2005. In the speech, Mr. Scheer maintains that even if same-sex marriage becomes legal, it can never truly be marriage because the couple can’t naturally procreate.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

This is Blackface I love the movie Though and Jolson's voice was amazing I have the Jazz singer on 78's.

Not respectful at all

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/electi...n=true#image=1

The 2001 party where Justin Trudeau dressed as Aladdin and wore brownface was a lavish event with corporate sponsors and belly dancers.
    A newsletter from West Point Grey Academy, where Trudeau taught, recounted the party, which raised $160,000 from private and corporate donors.
    The party boasted an auction with "fabulous vacations," tables adorned with "glittering trinkets." It was opened by "belly dancers" and hosted an "exotic meal," the newsletter said.
    Sponsors included the Vancouver Airport Authority and Electronic Arts (EA) Canada, the newsletter shows.

I guess conservatives just hate charities
    Last edited by danlaurin; 09-19-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.