Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

vCash

Re: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Hard to imagine a bigger mess than we have right now at the Federal level. This election is just a disaster, there's nobody to vote for. All scum bags, all full of terrible policies. Brutal.
    Mate,

None of them excite me either. But all of them scumbags? I don't think Elizabeth May is a "scumbag". Nor do I think Jameet Singh is a "scumbag". I do not think that Andrew Scheer is a "scumbag".

True that none of them inspire that "hell yeah" you would hope. But "scumbag"?

No.

I could not disagree with Jameet Singh more if I tried. I do not believe he is a scumbag. LOL!

Now, Trudeau? Yes. I believe he is a scumbag. And has proven it.

“The authority of the prime minister and his office was used to circumvent, undermine and ultimately attempt to discredit the decision of the director of public prosecutions as well as the authority of Ms. Wilson-Raybould as the Crown’s chief law officer.” -Ethics Commissioner

Trudeau should resign. In a previous age he would have had to because his own party would have demanded it. That previous age is not so long ago.

He is unfit to be PM. If he wins again, Canada will have to get through the worst national unity crisis in its history, and I'm not sure it will.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

I think anyone can take some information and spin it to their benefit.
    For example, golden boy Andrew Scheer... his Saskatchewan riding funneled money into the Guelph riding to support them at a time that they were involved in the famous, illegal Robocalls for the 2011 election. If the attempts at voter suppression weren't enough, Scheer (as speaker of the house) shut down discussion from opposing parties about the Robocalls in the House. Clearly trying to hide the truth, not only about his involvement, but the illegal activity of his party to manipulate election results.

Scheer is Harper 2.0 and judging by his twitter feed, a Trump wannabe with all the lies and manipulations of the truth - all attack, no plan.

So when you peel back all the mud slinging and name calling, all you are left with is party policy to make decisions on. While I wish things were better for me, my life is pretty good. As a result, I take a look at my neighbours; my fellow Canadians that are hurting, and I ask which party would help them (all) Canadians the most. It is definitely not the Cons and Andrew Scheer in my opinion.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 08-19-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Scheer is Harper 2.0
    If so then I'm okay with that because Harper, while imperfect, was far superior to selfie-boy. Neither Chretien nor Harper did anything half as bad as what Trudeau did with Lavscam.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    If so then I'm okay with that because Harper, while imperfect, was far superior to selfie-boy. Neither Chretien nor Harper did anything half as bad as what Trudeau did with Lavscam.
    yeah so says my friend Dean Del Mastro....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Cool.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    What Trudeau did was far worse, and Del Mastro resigned, which is what Trudeau should do.

vCash

vCash

What Trudeau did was far worse, and Del Mastro resigned, which is what Trudeau should do.
    That's your opinion you're entitled to it I think trying to rig the results of an election with robocalls is worse than trying to pressure the AG to give a DPA but like I said you're entitled to your opinion
    In Rod we trust

vCash

That's your opinion you're entitled to it I think trying to rig the results of an election with robocalls is worse than trying to pressure the AG to give a DPA but like I said you're entitled to your opinion
    Rig an election? So all you have to do is bombard people with calls and you win? Hell, why didn't anyone know this before??

Yes, what Trudeau did was far, FAR worse. Not even close. And again...Del Mastro resigned.

vCash

The sponsorship scandal with Cretien was pretty damn bad!

vCash

Rig an election? So all you have to do is bombard people with calls and you win? Hell, why didn't anyone know this before??

Yes, what Trudeau did was far, FAR worse. Not even close. And again...Del Mastro resigned.
    While Del Mastro was criminally charged in Ontario courts, Trudeau paid (up to) a $500 fine, but we are all entitled to look at it for what it is in our opinion. I tend to see it differently (one broke the law, another broke a rule) but hey whatevs... we all get a vote in the end. Maybe more will come of this somewhere down the road, but I doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Canada has a rich, deep history of crappy things in politics, don't we?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    None of it was tied back directly to Chretien, though. And people went to jail for it.

I feel far more threatened by the PM politically interfering in criminal prosecutions than I am over spending scandals or robocalls. One goes down a far worse road than the others.

Not only did the ethics commissioner say that what Trudeau did was wrong, but that the PMO withheld evidence, which is obstruction of justice.

Further to that, Trudeau wheeled out the first indigenous AG in our country's history (and a woman) to great woke fanfare only to fire her and do everything he could to besmirch her reputation after the fact because she upheld the rule of law.

He ought to resign. He is simply the worst PM of my lifetime.

vCash

Let's lighten things up a little

vCash

I'm little more woke for watching that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I'm little more woke for watching that.
    and I am craving a doughnut,
    ... but when am I not craving a doughnut, lol

vCash

Justin Trudeau has been PM for 4 years. Using "but Haaaarper!!!" as the defense for Trudeau is a fair bit stale and lame at this point. A full-on cop-out, actually.

And if Scheer is Harper 2.0 then we can expect no attacks on abortion rights or the LGBTQ community.

vCash

If Scheer is remotely close to following the path that Kenney and Ford have been taking, say goodbye to everything that has made Canada one of the best places to live.

Our public mental health clinic is already down 8 staff positions that are now frozen and will not be hired into. The remaining staff are now overworked, unable to provide the same level of care that they previously provided, and many are on the verge of burning out. Patient care is already suffering under the UCP, and with yesterday's announcement, it is going to get significantly worse.

In the meantime, school fees for my kids more than doubled since last year.

I hope that the $2 you saved filling up your gas tank was worth voting UCP. You are going to need a lot more than that to pay for your health care. And if the Conservatives get in federally as well, there will be no-one to hold these destructive provincial governments in check.

Yes, Trudeau sucks. There is a void of leadership in every single Canadian political party. At this point, I have to vote ABC (Anybody But Conservative), so I'll plug my nose and vote Liberal because right now, they are the best chance we have of defeating the alt-right wingnuts.

vCash

I have to believe that the fed Conservatives have propped up psycho crazy Maxime Bernier's party; it's a designed strategy, just so Scheer doesn't look so bad.

... but agreed, everything will change with the Conservatives.

vCash

i saw Andrew on the weekend he was in the same suite as I was for the rider's game we shook hands he asked about my son I asked about his kids honestly I wish he hadn't won the leadership because i do like his wife and you can see the stress is taking its toll on him
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

This is one election I have no clue on who to vote for... For each party I agree with some things but other things are just so out to lunch I can't believe it though so it's the lesser of the evils I guess?
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    If Scheer is remotely close to following the path that Kenney and Ford have been taking, say goodbye to everything that has made Canada one of the best places to live.

Our public mental health clinic is already down 8 staff positions that are now frozen and will not be hired into. The remaining staff are now overworked, unable to provide the same level of care that they previously provided, and many are on the verge of burning out. Patient care is already suffering under the UCP, and with yesterday's announcement, it is going to get significantly worse.

In the meantime, school fees for my kids more than doubled since last year.

I hope that the $2 you saved filling up your gas tank was worth voting UCP. You are going to need a lot more than that to pay for your health care. And if the Conservatives get in federally as well, there will be no-one to hold these destructive provincial governments in check.

Yes, Trudeau sucks. There is a void of leadership in every single Canadian political party. At this point, I have to vote ABC (Anybody But Conservative), so I'll plug my nose and vote Liberal because right now, they are the best chance we have of defeating the alt-right wingnuts.
    I didn't vote UCP. I would never vote for Jason Kenney.

That said, I do believe we need to balance our budget. I just don't think the prescription in the MacKinnon report is any better than the illness. The NDP made a huge mess. Thinking you'll clean it up in 3 fiscal years is pretty extreme.

vCash

Giving $4.5 billion in tax cuts is not how to balance a budget. Alberta was a mess long before the NDP ever got in, you can credit 44 years of conservative mismanagement for that. They have continued to put all our eggs into the oil basket, with no attempt to diversify the economy so that we aren't dependent on a boom or bust cycle. We still haven't recovered from the Klein era that left us with a massive infrastructure debt and brain drain, then when the oil industry recovered, he squandered it on Ralph bucks. And Kenney is going to be much worse.

vCash

Giving $4.5 billion in tax cuts is not how to balance a budget. Alberta was a mess long before the NDP ever got in, you can credit 44 years of conservative mismanagement for that. They have continued to put all our eggs into the oil basket, with no attempt to diversify the economy so that we aren't dependent on a boom or bust cycle. We still haven't recovered from the Klein era that left us with a massive infrastructure debt and brain drain, then when the oil industry recovered, he squandered it on Ralph bucks. And Kenney is going to be much worse.
    Jason Kenney will make mistakes for sure. But cutting taxes won't be one of them. Since the rest of Canada seems determined to destroy our main source of wealth and jobs, Alberta will have to have a VERY competitive tax regime in order to attract other industries.

vCash

$4.5 billion is ridiculous when we already had the lowest taxes in the country. To cut taxes by that much and then cry poor as a means to justify cuts to essential public services as a way of justifying privatization simply passes costs from the ultra rich to the middle class and poor.

"Trickle down economics" do not work, and have only served to increase the gap between the rich and the rest of the world. Capitalism is no longer about competition to keep innovation up and prices down, but rather corporate welfare that keeps profits up rather than employee wages up, and competition down rather than unemployment rate down. The "American dream" (and by extension, the "Canadian dream") is no longer to have equal opportunity to reach the highest goals, but to create a company that is good enough to get bought out by a bigger company so they don't have to compete with it.

Notley wasn't any further left than Lougheed was, back when the conservatives actually were "progressive", and ruling parties governed towards the center. Neither the Liberals in Canada nor the Democrats in the US are left-leaning parties, they are just right of central, but appear to be "left" because the conservative parties have shifted so far to the extreme, and their supporters no longer care that they cater to extremists.

vCash

$4.5 billion is ridiculous when we already had the lowest taxes in the country. To cut taxes by that much and then cry poor as a means to justify cuts to essential public services as a way of justifying privatization simply passes costs from the ultra rich to the middle class and poor.

"Trickle down economics" do not work, and have only served to increase the gap between the rich and the rest of the world. Capitalism is no longer about competition to keep innovation up and prices down, but rather corporate welfare that keeps profits up rather than employee wages up, and competition down rather than unemployment rate down. The "American dream" (and by extension, the "Canadian dream") is no longer to have equal opportunity to reach the highest goals, but to create a company that is good enough to get bought out by a bigger company so they don't have to compete with it.

Notley wasn't any further left than Lougheed was, back when the conservatives actually were "progressive", and ruling parties governed towards the center. Neither the Liberals in Canada nor the Democrats in the US are left-leaning parties, they are just right of central, but appear to be "left" because the conservative parties have shifted so far to the extreme, and their supporters no longer care that they cater to extremists.
    I know it is the conventional wisdom to assume that Alberta has the lowest taxes, but that's not always the case. No, we don't have a sales tax, but our income taxes are not the lowest, and our small business rate is matched by others.

On the income tax side Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, BC, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut all have lower bottom rates. Some significantly so.

If you make $50k a year Alberta is NOT the cheapest place to live tax-wise.

Alberta's top rate of 15% is one of the lower ones, but it doesn't kick in until you hit well over $300k. For the vast majority of taxpayers, their rate in Alberta will be a combination of 10%, 12% and 13%. That's higher than many other Provinces and Territories.

Our corporate tax rate was 12% and will shrink to 8% over 4 years, taking us from middle of the pack to the lowest in Canada. Our small business rate is 2%. The same as Sask and BC.

The term "trickle down" economics is a deliberate fallacy that makes the assumption that earnings don't belong to those who earn them in the first place; that higher taxes on the wealthy somehow means a better life for everyone else. The reality os most often quite different.
    The fact is that when taxes are higher investment slows or flows out. Businesses and corporations always look for competitive tax jurisdictions.

The one thing that the MacKinnon report spells out quite clearly is that Alberta spends more per capita on everything than our main competitor provinces in Canada, BC Ontario and Quebec. And we get worse results.

Alberta DOES have a spending problem.

vCash

So now Alberta needs to cut a billion in health and education to make up the shortfall. Why shell out 4.5 billion to corporations? Kenney promised he wouldn't cut any funding to health care. He lied. Plain and simple. Of course he will blame it on the spending of the NDP, but in reality, he created the hole by throwing back money to his buddies that got him elected.
    Next he will spin the whole "private health care" needs to be a secondary option. They are already looking at diverting money from public schools to private ones by theorizing that money shouldn't go to the largest schools but the ones that have the best results. More rich get richer bs from the party that has failed to invest in the future of Albertans for the last 50 years.

Note - all this is my opinion (still it is based on fact) and should be taken as that - just an opinion. Enjoy your day
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-05-2019 at 10:24 AM.

vCash

So now Alberta needs to cut a billion in health and education to make up the shortfall. Why shell out 4.5 billion to corporations? Kenney promised he wouldn't cut any funding to health care. He lied. Plain and simple. Of course he will blame it on the spending of the NDP, but in reality, he created the hole by throwing back money to his buddies that got him elected.
    Next he will spin the whole "private health care" needs to be a secondary option. They are already looking at diverting money from public schools to private ones by theorizing that money shouldn't go to the largest schools but the ones that have the best results. More rich get richer bs from the party that has failed to invest in the future of Albertans for the last 50 years.
    Depending on the revenue scenario the amount of cuts needed to balance the budget over 3 fiscal years could be as low as $3.3Billion or as high as $3.6Billion. Unless there is no recession and all of these pipelines get build, in which case they don't need to do much at all.

But we know that a recession is coming and we know that pipelines aren't going to get built.

So, worst case scenario is $3.6Billion over 3 years, about 6.5% reduction in total spending, including on capital.

The idea that the NDP's spending has nothing to do with the debt and deficits we have is utter nonsense. Alberta spends more than BC, Ontario and Quebec on all services. Our public servants make more money. Our people get worse results. FACTS. Failed to invest. What a load of baloney. We spend more than anyone else.

And $4.5Billion in tax cuts is the opposition's number. We know that those corporate tax rates are dropping over 4 years, not over night. So even if it is $4.5Billion in foregone revenue, it wouldn't be all at once.

And why do it? Because we need to be more competitive to attract new industries since the left in Canada won't accept an oil and gas industry.

You're not going to convince anyone with the usual left-wing "rich get richer" talking points. Tell that to all the unemployed oil and gas workers and all the downstream unemployment that's been caused. We need to create jobs. Tax cuts will help to do that. Fact.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 09-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.

vCash

You're not going to convince anyone with the usual left-wing "rich get richer" talking points. Tell that to all the unemployed oil and gas workers and all the downstream unemployment that's been caused. We need to create jobs. Tax cuts will help to do that. Fact.
    I've worked in two industries that, for the large part, either don't exist anymore, or are largely automated. Perhaps it's time for the people working in the oil and gas industry to wake up. The conservative government in Alberta should have been planning alternatives decades ago. They should have been investing in other industries, like tech. They didn't, and they won't. You can keep pumping money into the oil companies in the form of tax credits, but it won't increase employment. It will just line the pockets of the CEO's and shareholders.

vCash

I've worked in two industries that, for the large part, either don't exist anymore, or are largely automated. Perhaps it's time for the people working in the oil and gas industry to wake up. The conservative government in Alberta should have been planning alternatives decades ago. They should have been investing in other industries, like tech. They didn't, and they won't. You can keep pumping money into the oil companies in the form of tax credits, but it won't increase employment. It will just line the pockets of the CEO's and shareholders.
    Well, you're not wrong about the failure to diversify. They were absolutely guilty of that.

But Mr. Kenney and others are 100% right that there is a concerted effort to needlessly landlock Alberta's resources. This benefits US oil and gas producers and allows environmentalists to claim victory, even though our resources are produced with better environmental and human rights standards than anywhere else.

There is NO need to shut down Alberta's resource sector. The OECD predicts that demand for oil and gas globally is not set to decline for more than 30 years.

Canada produces 1.9% of all global GHG emissions. The US 14%. China 29%.

Yet we created this misery domestically while we import Saudi oil. So, I'm not going to blame the PC/UCP party for this situation. Our revenues were decimated by an evil effort to shut down our resource sector and our last government spent as if debt and deficits were free.

vCash

Valid points.