Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: The Justin Trudeau Report Card

So if I, as a white guy, dress up with an Aboriginial war paint and headdress caricature for my next charity event, you'll be fine?
    Last edited by OK14; 09-20-2019 at 06:48 AM.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    So if I, as a white guy, dress up with an Aboriginial war paint and headdress caricature for my next charity event, you'll be fine?
    Only if you didn't know the stupid error you were making at the time, and then commit to spend the rest of your life trying to be an awesome Canadian, focused on improving the lives of all Canadians , supporting women's rights (regardless of the beliefs of your church), try to help refugees establish a better start for themselves in Canada, standing up for equal liberties for the LGBTQ community, and be respected across the globe from people who actually understand what is truly important. If you can do all that, if you can make a difference that matters, I'd be willing to give you a pass. Just like I did with Justin Trudeau.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Only if you didn't know the stupid error you were making at the time, and then commit to spend the rest of your life trying to be an awesome Canadian, focused on improving the lives of all Canadians , supporting women's rights (regardless of the beliefs of your church), try to help refugees establish a better start for themselves in Canada, standing up for equal liberties for the LGBTQ community, and be respected across the globe from people who actually understand what is truly important. If you can do all that, if you can make a difference that matters, I'd be willing to give you a pass. Just like I did with Justin Trudeau.
    Thing is, there is no freaking way that Justin Trudeau didn't know blackface was unacceptable in 2001. No way. No how.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Thing is, there is no freaking way that Justin Trudeau didn't know blackface was unacceptable in 2001. No way. No how.
    We all have to speculate on a number of things.
    I think Scheer's opposition to the rights of the LGBTQ community is equally unacceptable. I guess the difference is, one person has made efforts to change. The other hasn't.

I know that if I was running for office, I'd much rather vote for the person I am today, then the person I was twenty years ago. I've f'd up my own stuff. It has shaped me into a better person.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-20-2019 at 01:15 PM.

vCash

We all have to speculate on a number of things.
    I think Scheer's opposition to the rights of the LGBTQ community is equally unacceptable. I guess the difference is, one person has made efforts to change. The other hasn't.

I know that if I was running for office, I'd much rather vote for the person I am today, then the person I was twenty years ago. I've f'd up my own stuff. It has shaped me into a better person.
    And Trudeau's personal opposition to abortion is okay, though.

How about one standard, please?

Again, in 2001 Justin Trudeau was not a kid. He was a 30 year old grown up.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

And Trudeau's personal opposition to abortion is okay, though.

How about one standard, please?
    The "I'm personally opposed to abortion but accepting and supportive of a woman's right to choose". Like that sort of opposition.

Or the Scheer, I will vote against any legislation that "normalizes" the rights of LGBTQ.

There's your difference. Big difference.

vCash

The "I'm personally opposed to abortion but accepting and supportive of a woman's right to choose". Like that sort of opposition.

Or the Scheer, I will vote against any legislation that "normalizes" the rights of LGBTQ.

There's your difference. Big difference.
    Scheer has said that he will not re-open these divisive issues. Your boogeyman is non-existant.

vCash

Scheer has said that he will not re-open these divisive issues. Your boogeyman is non-existant.
    He will allow his MP's to though. He has not denied that.
    There are your facts.

Look at his voting record. Please. Take the time to do so.

I'm off to talk football.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-20-2019 at 02:32 PM.

vCash

He will allow his MP's to though. He has not denied that.
    There are your facts.

Look at his voting record. Please. Take the time to do so.

I'm off to talk football.
    Why don't YOU look up how private members business works in house of commons.

vCash

I'll add one point to this, in case you come back from the football discussion.

If there were a CPC majority and a free vote on the Commons, the result would be the status quo. Many, if not a majority of CPC MPs would vote to keep abortion and keep gay marriage.

vCash

I'll add one point to this, in case you come back from the football discussion.

If there were a CPC majority and a free vote on the Commons, the result would be the status quo. Many, if not a majority of CPC MPs would vote to keep abortion and keep gay marriage.
    I feel quite positive of the outcome of a free vote if any of the other three major political parties had a majority government. I cannot say the same thing about the Cons.
    Having said that, I hope your are right. I also hope we never have the ability to test the scenario you describe.

vCash

There are three other major parties? Tell me more!

vCash

Mate, you're so wrong. There's no bloody way that blackface was acceptable in 2001. He was 30 (old enough to know better), and he is the preachiest PC PM of all time.

Live by PC, die by PC. Also, you don't think that's REAL racism? Jeebus!
    I cannot believe that you have the audacity to try to school me about what racism is or is not. Actually, check that...yeah, I can, because you think you know more about everything than everyone else.

Blackface/brownface is insensitive & questionable, but I had never heard it being called “racist” until recently.
    Racism is when someone thinks they are superior based on skin colour, religion &/or ethnicity. There is usually malicious intent. People being dumb or clueless does not equal being truly racist - because that is shown through one’s words & actions over time.

This Facebook post says it better than I ever could:
    http://m.facebook.com/517897074/post...297075?sfns=mo

If you’re going to get so on the soapbox about this, please do the same for every damn racist & racially/culturally/ethnically insensitive thing that happens every single damn day.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-21-2019 at 10:12 PM.

vCash

I'd love to see the media reaction if it was Scheer in brownface... The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
    What you call hypocrisy, I call taking a look at someone’s track record.
    People are more likely to forgive someone for a previous mistake/stupid move/indiscretion if everything they’ve done afterwards outweighs it. Maybe if Andrew genuinely apologized for anything, I could possibly consider that he cares about people at all.

As for your comparison with First Nations ceremonial wear — it’s not valid because that’s not racist either. It’s disrespectful & insensitive. Wearing traditional ceremonial FN outfit to a rave is not cool. It’s similar to when people have tattoos of the Buddha or Hindu gods anywhere on their lower body because they think it looks cool - so disrespectful & ignorant, but not racist.
    ...or how about every few years when it’s trendy to put Lord Ganesha on the bottom of flip flops? Would any company think of putting Jesus on the bottom of a shoe?
    .....Or how about when people all chant Om in a yoga class at the gym, but that’s a really important word used during religious services at temple?
    Or wait, how about when I was on junior high & wore crosses even though I’m obviously not Christian?
    There are so many examples, non of which are racist in themselves.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-21-2019 at 10:31 PM.

vCash

Dp by accident

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    People are more likely to forgive someone for a previous mistake/stupid move/indiscretion if everything they’ve done afterwards outweighs it.
    Like SNC Lavalin, disrespecting veterans, and groping (among many others)? Gotcha.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Like SNC Lavalin, disrespecting veterans, and groping (among many others)? Gotcha.
    The previous discussion was about racism specifically- at least that was the only one in which I was participating. Thanks for coming out, though.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-21-2019 at 10:36 PM.

vCash

i never comment on this thread cause honestly dilligaf but I processed VAC claims during the years of the Harper govt when they closed the VAC centres neither could be more disrespectful to veterans than what they did so you can take that argument and shove it.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-22-2019 at 06:36 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I cannot believe that you have the audacity to try to school me about what racism is or is not. Actually, check that...yeah, I can, because you think you know more about everything than everyone else.

Blackface/brownface is insensitive & questionable, but I had never heard it being called “racist” until recently.
    Racism is when someone thinks they are superior based on skin colour, religion &/or ethnicity. There is usually malicious intent. People being dumb or clueless does not equal being truly racist - because that is shown through one’s words & actions over time.

This Facebook post says it better than I ever could:
    http://m.facebook.com/517897074/post...297075?sfns=mo

If you’re going to get so on the soapbox about this, please do the same for every damn racist & racially/culturally/ethnically insensitive thing that happens every single damn day.
    Well, believe it.

If a politician had gone to a gala in blackface in 2001 their career would have been over. It WAS unacceptable then. By then it had been unacceptable for 30+ years FFS!

But, apparently racism only exists if you're a conservative.

vCash

I don't think going to a gala and a halloween party are remotely the same thing.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    i never comment on this thread cause honestly dilligaf but I processed VAC claims during the years of the Harper govt when they closed the VAC centres neither could be more disrespectful to veterans than what they did so you can take that argument and shove it.
    I think I know what the af means but the rest is new to me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I don't think going to a gala and a halloween party are remotely the same thing.
    You think that if a politician had gone to halloween party in blackface in 2011 that they would have survived that? Think again. They absolutely would have ended up resigning.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I think I know what the af means but the rest is new to me.
    Do I Look Like I Give A F***....
    Sorry I don't care much about politics but I remember how hard it was to get pre-auth for vets for benefits like psych, etc after the VAC cutbacks and it still make me shake in rage and anger.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

You think that if a politician had gone to halloween party in blackface in 2011 that they would have survived that? Think again. They absolutely would have ended up resigning.
    2001 and and he wasn't a politician at the time. They're wildly different things and I'm not even a fan of Trudeau.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    2001 and and he wasn't a politician at the time. They're wildly different things and I'm not even a fan of Trudeau.
    Yet you're defending an act that, if it had been any other politician, Trudeau would have demanded their resignation. All the parties have dropped candidates in this election for far less.

vCash

Yet you're defending an act that, if it had been any other politician, Trudeau would have demanded their resignation. All the parties have dropped candidates in this election for far less.
    Nope. Scheer just asks that his candidates apologize, and that's enough.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Nope. Scheer just asks that his candidates apologize, and that's enough.
    Nope. Cameron Ogilvie was asked to step down last week.

vCash

I've discussed this JT brownface issue with Liberals, Conservatives, young, old, Caucasian and people of colour.

Consensus rate it as a 'meh'.

vCash
    Blog Entries

In the grand scheme of things I could care less if he dressed up as a murderous priest 20 years ago. I mean, I went as some questionable things for Halloween in my younger days and would hate to be judged on stupid things I did two decades ago... I'm a totally different person than I was then. What JT should have done is get ahead of the story and say "I did this, and at the time didn't see the future ramifications of my actions". I doubt (Time?) magazine didn't give someone the heads up about this story. People's opinions change and grow with time. What one candidate may have thought/believed in the past might not necesarily be the case now. As voters it's up to us to investigate the party/person you're voting for or thinking of voting for and see what they say about issues that are important to you. You also need to look at issues that might not concern you directly, but might affect your work/family/students etc. Just voting blindly for PC/Lib/NDP etc. is not the answer. Just because you always have voted one way doesn't mean they should be counting your vote automatically. Make the candidate work for your vote.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?