Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: [GDT] LDC Rematch - 8:00MT Saturday - Kids Get In Free

vCash

Re: [GDT] LDC Rematch - 8:00MT Saturday - Kids Get In Free

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Would be nice if they could find away to trim the TV timeouts a bit as well.
    As the $$ paid by TSN continue to increase with each contract, so do the number of timeouts for commercials....

vCash

Would be nice if they could find away to trim the TV timeouts a bit as well.
    So, why stop the game during the TV commercials? If you want to watch the whole game, go to the stadium. Otherwise you miss the plays that occur while the commercials are on. Shorter game; more reason to see it in person. Problem solved.
    GO ESKS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    This is a new generation out there with less and less time. 4 -5 hours invested to go to a sporting event is difficult for many people. And to the comment about being able to watch it on PVR and skip the commercials proves my point. Reducing quarter length is something that I think wouldn't hurt the integrity of the game, in fact it may help it as players would be more rested and perhaps less injuries occur and game quality improves. Having said that, it will never happen but they need to find ways to speed up the game. Even as a diehard fan, I find the games too long.
    I sure hope not.

There are many more issues at play than just how long it takes to play the game. It is one of the issues though. All the issue need to be addressed and maybe even then there is no solution.
    Agreed. My only complaint in relation to game duration is that TV timeouts are really boring when you're in the stadium but they're a necessary evil unfortunately.

vCash

This is a new generation out there with less and less time. 4 -5 hours invested to go to a sporting event is difficult for many people. And to the comment about being able to watch it on PVR and skip the commercials proves my point. Reducing quarter length is something that I think wouldn't hurt the integrity of the game, in fact it may help it as players would be more rested and perhaps less injuries occur and game quality improves. Having said that, it will never happen but they need to find ways to speed up the game. Even as a diehard fan, I find the games too long.
    I hear you. My parents and I are 25 yr season ticket holders. We have been driving in from Red Deer for 25 yrs. For us, with a 3 hour game, 1.5 hours each way minimum driving time and getting too and from the stadium on the train, it's basically a 7 minimum hour commitment for us every single game. I have 2 kids now, almost 8 and 5.5 and we get busier and busier the older they get with sports and other activities. It's getting harder and harder for us to make games due to the time commitment and we are finding we miss more and more games each year and are on the fence if we will continue. For me I will miss pretty much half the home games due to other commitments this year.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Not sure how many soccer fans we have here but soccer games start when scheduled, the first half (45 mins plus stoppage time) is played entirely commercial free. Then a 15 minute halftime, then a second half again with no commercials.

So a 90 minute soccer game takes 2 hours, with 1 15 minute break. A 60 minute football game takes 3 hours with a halftime, two quarter breaks, and what feels like 15 commercial breaks.

Why?

vCash

Part of it has to do with what an athlete's body can endure. It's possible to play 90 minutes of soccer in two hours continuously. It's not possible to do the same in football. In both cases, players are pretty much at their limit of peak performance when the final whistle blows.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Part of it has to do with what an athlete's body can endure. It's possible to play 90 minutes of soccer in two hours continuously. It's not possible to do the same in football. In both cases, players are pretty much at their limit of peak performance when the final whistle blows.
    So would an untelevised football game (say Usports or high school) still have commercial-style breaks in it or just the regular halftime and quarter breaks? Serious question as I don’t attend any.

vCash
    Blog Entries

In some USA high school games, they have breaks for the local radio coverage. The Vanderbilt game I went to on Saturday had commercial breaks as well.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    So would an untelevised football game (say Usports or high school) still have commercial-style breaks in it or just the regular halftime and quarter breaks? Serious question as I don’t attend any.
    There's no performance reason for the commercial breaks. It's for the benefit of the organization doing the broadcasting, not the athletes.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Granted it's been a long time since I played at UofA but I don't remember there being breaks all over the place. We got a half time where Wilkie would tell a story and try to encourage us not to lose but otherwise no breaks.
    As for games for Novice, Atom, Bantam, Midget...no breaks there either.

As far as no commercials for soccer. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't soccer players usually have sponsor logos all over them? Not quite as bad as say a bicycle racer but pretty close. I'd also bet that advertising costs more for a soccer game than a football game simply because of supply and demand.
    When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are. - The Bandit

vCash

Soccer players have a front logo on their shirts. Just this year they introduced a smaller logo on one sleeve in the Premier League. The yearly revenue from the main sponsor can vary from 1.5 Million pound on the lower ranked Premier League team to almost 45-50 Million for the top club. Granted, their payrolls are significantly higher. Clubs also get money from signing shirt suppliers. Nike, Addidas, etc all pay the clubs individually to have them use their apparel. Kits change every year, so fans typically are buying new shirts each season or two.

There is electronic advertising boards around the pitch, much like we have for the CFL. There is no advertising on the field though like the CFL has.

I think it's just a culture thing. We accept more advertising in our broadcasts in North America.

vCash

Soccer players have a front logo on their shirts. Just this year they introduced a smaller logo on one sleeve in the Premier League. The yearly revenue from the main sponsor can vary from 1.5 Million pound on the lower ranked Premier League team to almost 45-50 Million for the top club. Granted, their payrolls are significantly higher. Clubs also get money from signing shirt suppliers. Nike, Addidas, etc all pay the clubs individually to have them use their apparel. Kits change every year, so fans typically are buying new shirts each season or two.

There is electronic advertising boards around the pitch, much like we have for the CFL. There is no advertising on the field though like the CFL has.

I think it's just a culture thing. We accept more advertising in our broadcasts in North America.
    It's weird though. That's true of soccer, but not of other sports like rugby. There you get these weirdly distorted on-field ads so that they look undistorted from the main camera's perspective. I find that really distracting.

And I believe the advertising on the boards in hockey also started in Europe.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.