Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

I assume Quenneville wanted nothing to do with this tire fire. Not sure Hitchcock can coach in today's game. Maybe it will provide a spark and get the Oilers into the playoffs. Maybe it doesn't and Chia is gone at the end of the season. Sounds like a win-win.

vCash

The problem is that Chiarelli needs to be gone before the trade deadline.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Bringing in Hitch puts the clock on and the guns aimed at Chiarelli. I'm content with this.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

Are we writing this year off now? Or was that already a done deal?

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I can't see Hitchcock making a huge difference. The roster is the problem. So Hitchcock is a stop-gap until the end of the season and is only hired until the end of the season, then they will "re-evaluate". Which means that once Chia is fired at the end of the season, the new GM can bring in his own coach. Hitch was already retired, so this was never going to be a long-term solution.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I can't see Hitchcock making a huge difference. The roster is the problem. So Hitchcock is a stop-gap until the end of the season and is only hired until the end of the season, then they will "re-evaluate". Which means that once Chia is fired at the end of the season, the new GM can bring in his own coach. Hitch was already retired, so this was never going to be a long-term solution.
    I agree, and am alarmed at Chairelli having the ability to do more damage between now and the end of the season. Especially at deadline time.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm scared. Hitchcock was behind the helm when the Flyers absolutely imploded in 2006-07.

That said, if Claude Julien was able to adapt to the new NHL, maybe Hitchcock can too.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

The thing about this though is that when they won 97, they did what they were supposed to. They went away from the old boys club. They hired a proven GM who had won a Cup. They hired a long-term head coach in McLellan.

And then Chia promptly tore them down with absolutely horrible trades and signings. It's very frustrating you would bring in an outside guy with a proven track record who would make the moves he made. They were disgusting and I am not sure how you blame Katz for that.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

One of those numbers does not belong!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I'm scared. Hitchcock was behind the helm when the Flyers absolutely imploded in 2006-07.

That said, if Claude Julien was able to adapt to the new NHL, maybe Hitchcock can too.
    The Flyers seem to do that every few years though. It was a bad 8 game stretch to open the year after he led them to 130 wins in the previous three years.

Since then, he took over a ****ty Blue Jacket team and made them a little less ****ty and eventually led them to the franchises first ever playoff appearance.

After that, he took on a St. Louis team who had a middling record for the few previous years and provided a .650 winning percentage over 6 years.

After that, he took a one year assignment in Dallas and he improved the team 13 points from the previous year.

I'm not sure Hitchcock at this point in his career is a good choice, but everywhere he has gone there was an improvement shortly after him joining them, so there is some hope.
    Last edited by bone; 11-20-2018 at 01:58 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    The thing about this though is that when they won 97, they did what they were supposed to. They went away from the old boys club. They hired a proven GM who had won a Cup. They hired a long-term head coach in McLellan.

And then Chia promptly tore them down with absolutely horrible trades and signings. It's very frustrating you would bring in an outside guy with a proven track record who would make the moves he made. They were disgusting and I am not sure how you blame Katz for that.
    I think the blame isn't just with that, but overall, Katz caring more about short-term money/hobnobbing with the OBC and less about the long-term success of his hockey club. Katz is almost like Len Rhodes in that regard - as long as there's profit, who cares about the team?
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I assume Quenneville wanted nothing to do with this tire fire. Not sure Hitchcock can coach in today's game. Maybe it will provide a spark and get the Oilers into the playoffs. Maybe it doesn't and Chia is gone at the end of the season. Sounds like a win-win.
    When I look at the Oilers, I see a roster that has holes in it and those holes are the fault of the GM. But at the same time, when the team actually plays hard they can compete. Are they a championship team? No but when they play hard, are they a team that has lost 6 of 7? I don't think they are. I also see a roster full of players who last year and this year are under achieving. I look at the Canucks and those guys play hard and the coach is squeezing every drop from his guys. They are flat out just not good enough. They are young, their defense is worse than the Oilers and they don't have a starting goalie. So while the Oilers roster has flaws, for whatever reason McLellan wasn't getting everything he could out of his players. So that's on him. I look at the team and I see Lucic, Khaira, Kassian, Brodziak, Benning, Nurse, Talbot, Caggulia at times, all under achieving. I would put NUge in there as under achieving. Even though he has decent points, he has a bunch on the PP and most with McDavid and he has only 4 goals. That is a 16 goal pace. I am sorry, at 6 mill, 16 goals is not good enough. Nuge need to be better. I would even put Leon in there. He and McDavid are magic but when he is not with McDavid, he at times can be dominate but it's not enough. He needs to be better. So while the roster still needs help and that is on the GM, McLellan wasn't able to get enough out of these guys. So if Hitchcock can come in for a short time and boot a few guys in the ass and they play harder and play with more structure, it will help. The Oilers early in the year showed they can play with structure, they just seem to either forget about it or just stop doing it.

When it comes to coach Q. I have seen a lot of talk about him. Would it be awesome to get him, you bet. BUT if the organization is not totally sold on Chia which I do not think they are, why would you let him hire ANY long term coach. The just gave him his coach firing. It's put up or shut up time. This isn't unusual. On the flip side. If I am coach Q and based on what Gregor has said from some sources, it doesn't sound like he is rushing to get a new job. He had lots of money, has another year of salary. The guy was just doing shots off a ski at the Bears game so it doesn't look like he's dusting off the old resume yet. If I was him, I would take some time off, enjoy life because you know there will be jobs for you when you want it. Secondly, if I am coach Q, even if I wanted to coach the Oilers, am I taking the job if I don't know who my boss might be in 6 months? NO way. 3rd. Quennville can get almost any job he wants. Am I worried about getting a job? No way. If I want the Oilers job, could I just put in a call to Nicholson and say I am interested, just need a little time off. Are the Oilers seriously going to say "Sorry Joel, now or never?" Not a chance.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Really have to wonder who made this decision. If Chia made the decision, was Hitchcock really the best that there was out there, knowing that his only chance of keeping his job is if the new coach can somehow get these guys to the playoffs? If Chia didn't make the decision, then it's pretty clear they made a change now for the sake of making a change, a semi-retired guy to play out the season when they can make a full change of GM as well. If that's the case, why not just fire Chia now?

vCash

Heard that Chiarelli fired TM when they arrived in San Jose.

Classless.

vCash

It's the Oiler Way!

vCash

Chiarelli said he thinks the team is good enough. My question is: "good enough for what?" To make the playoffs in a weak division? To go out in the first round? To go on a run? To win the Stanley Cup?

This is a team that may be able to finish 3rd in the Pacific and squeak in. But they aren't winning the Cup. And they don't have the ability to do that because of Chiarelli. So any day they wait is a wasted day. Fire him now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
    Heard that Chiarelli fired TM when they arrived in San Jose.

Classless.
    TMac has been fired in San Jose twice now.

vCash

The Oilers just traded a 6th rd pick for a guy who insulted the Sens team and management in an Uber a couplea weeks back.

vCash

The Driver?

vCash

In the most recent of many lessons teaching us to ignore what happens in pre-season Ty Rattie is finished and Koskinen is .923 and the starting goalie now.

vCash

Seattle has been granted an NHL franchise to begin play in 2021. Could be a way to unload the last year of Lucic's contract.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Seattle has been granted an NHL franchise to begin play in 2021. Could be a way to unload the last year of Lucic's contract.
    Why would Seattle want Lucic today, never mind three-year-older Lucic? We'd have to throw in major sweeteners.

vCash

Hopefully there's a cap hit free compliance buy out when the next CBA is negotiated (when the Oilers hopefully have a GM that wouldn't sign Lucic or try to sign Clarkson). Did you know the NHLPA can opt out of the current contract in September of 2019?

vCash

Why would Seattle want Lucic today, never mind three-year-older Lucic? We'd have to throw in major sweeteners.
    To hit the cap floor.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    To hit the cap floor.
    Vegas was given leeway about cap requirements for the first few years, and didn't have to take on any really bad contracts. I imagine Seattle will be given similar provisions.

That said, a good GM might be able to swing some sort of deal that if they take Lucic, we trade them a couple extra draft picks. Hopefully we have a good GM by then.

vCash

Vegas was given leeway about cap requirements for the first few years, and didn't have to take on any really bad contracts. I imagine Seattle will be given similar provisions.

That said, a good GM might be able to swing some sort of deal that if they take Lucic, we trade them a couple extra draft picks. Hopefully we have a good GM by then.
    No they weren't......
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

Bob Cole called some amazing games in his 50 year career. It was nice to see the ovation tonight.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Bob Cole called some amazing games in his 50 year career. It was nice to see the ovation tonight.
    Why would they not do this with the retro jersey? Nice gesture, but could have executed better.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

What do you guys think about the Ference comments? Linky.

I'm happy to hear them.