Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    A good GM fixes this mess by July 2nd in all honesty.
    Highly, highly doubtful.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Highly, highly doubtful that we get a good GM.
    Fixed.

vCash

Is anyone still paying attention? I've given up.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

So spooner for Sam Gagner. Oh and Talbot is gone too.

vCash

I'll take that trade, tbh.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

it will never happen as long as the Old Boys club is sitting up top. They need to go if the Oilers ever hope to be decent

vCash

The Oilers have just over $72,000,000 committed next season, lets assume the cap is $83,000,000.

By the deadline Kassian (3rd?), Russell (2nd?), Chiasson (3rd? Maybe 2nd?), Brodziak (5th?) should all be dealt.

That leaves you entering next year with $18,000,000 in cap space and needing one top 4 D, a 3 C and at least 3 wingers along with a goalie.

Every year at the draft good players get dealt for 2nds and 3rds. Last year Brendan Smith, Travis Hamonic, Marcus Johansson, Phillip Gruabauer, Lars Eller are some of the names, Jeff Skinner went as well, so you load up on picks at the deadline and then go shopping at the draft.

If Sekera is recovered that's great, if he's not you ship him to Ottawa and they will be more than happy to take him on and let insurance pay him.

See what you can do with Lucic. How much are you adding to him to add a guy like James Reimer that Florida has clearly soured on? Dale Tallon would still have a lot of time for Lucic.

They'll have a top 5 pick, maybe you deal it? Trade down?

There's a ton of options and ways to fix. 97-29-93-77 are all untouchable, I'd check the market on Nurse and Larsson but it comes down to if a GM is willing to get creative there's a lot of ways out of this that aren't all that painful as long as you're smart about it, and therein lies the rub with the Oilers.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

By the deadline Kassian (3rd?), Russell (2nd?), Chiasson (3rd? Maybe 2nd?), Brodziak (5th?) should all be dealt.
    should be... but those are the "character" players 6 rings and MacT love.

vCash

The Oilers have just over $72,000,000 committed next season, lets assume the cap is $83,000,000.

That leaves you entering next year with $18,000,000 in cap space and needing one top 4 D, a 3 C and at least 3 wingers along with a goalie.

Every year at the draft good players get dealt for 2nds and 3rds. Last year Brendan Smith, Travis Hamonic, Marcus Johansson, Phillip Gruabauer, Lars Eller are some of the names, Jeff Skinner went as well, so you load up on picks at the deadline and then go shopping at the draft.

If Sekera is recovered that's great, if he's not you ship him to Ottawa and they will be more than happy to take him on and let insurance pay him.

See what you can do with Lucic. How much are you adding to him to add a guy like James Reimer that Florida has clearly soured on? Dale Tallon would still have a lot of time for Lucic.

They'll have a top 5 pick, maybe you deal it? Trade down?

There's a ton of options and ways to fix. 97-29-93-77 are all untouchable, I'd check the market on Nurse and Larsson but it comes down to if a GM is willing to get creative there's a lot of ways out of this that aren't all that painful as long as you're smart about it, and therein lies the rub with the Oilers.
    The Oilers still need to ice a team for the rest of this season, mate.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Nobody would give up a pick for Brodziak. He would clear waivers right now with that extra year on his contract.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The Oilers still need to ice a team for the rest of this season, mate.
    They do, and that's why you reload at the draft and in free agency.

Let's just pretend that Lucic and 2nd can be dealt for James Reimer and everyone else I mentioned is dealt.

X - McDavid - Draisatl
    X - RNH - X
    X - X - Gagner
    Khaira - Marody - Reider

Klefbom-Larson
    Nurse - X
    Sekera-Benning

Koskinen/Reimer

Holes to fill? Absolutely. But you have Puljujarvi, a top 5 pick, Yamo and Benson all of those are in play to improve the team or to be on the team and a good GM (and again, that's the real rub) can hopefully identify which of those guys can help and which can't. You have lots of cap space suddenly.

Maybe you can deal Nurse for Huberdeau and bump Sekera back into the top 4 if he shows well in the next 6 weeks? Or Nurse for Parayko and do the same thing?

You'd have enough cap space to chase a Mark Stone in FA.

Some team like Boston or San Jose or Columbus will stumble in the first round and be looking to shake up the roster, maybe there's an opportunity there?

You'd have to be active and you'd have to be cut throat but it could be done and at least we don't have Peter doubling down on his idiocy any more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Nobody would give up a pick for Brodziak. He would clear waivers right now with that extra year on his contract.
    You can bury him and he costs almost nothing against the cap though. If you can't get anything for him that's exactly what you do... his contract is barely league minimum even with the extra year.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I just don't see how any other GM in the league would take Lucic. Even if he was free. 14 points in 58 games and -11 at $6M for another 4 seasons. Nobody is taking him, mate. Nobody.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 02-18-2019 at 08:11 AM.

vCash

I just don't see how any other GM in the league would take Lucic. Even if he was free. 14 points in 58 games and -11 at $6M for another 4 seasons. Nobody is taking him, mate. Nobody.
    There's 20+ other guys in the league you could say that about including James Reimer.

The thing in Edmonton seems to be we never get proper value at the deadline (Petry, Maroon both should have easily got 1sts for example) and we rarely get creative in trades.

What if Sekera shows he can play the rest of the season and we can be comfortable with him as LD2? Suddenly Darnell Nurse is a guy you can trade whose trade value almost assuredly out strips his real value, especially after he gets paid.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

There's 20+ other guys in the league you could say that about including James Reimer.

The thing in Edmonton seems to be we never get proper value at the deadline (Petry, Maroon both should have easily got 1sts for example) and we rarely get creative in trades.

What if Sekera shows he can play the rest of the season and we can be comfortable with him as LD2? Suddenly Darnell Nurse is a guy you can trade whose trade value almost assuredly out strips his real value, especially after he gets paid.
    Yes, but this is not the way the Oilers think. It's a pipe dream.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Plus Reimer only has 2 years left at $3.4M. No way they take Lucic for 4 years at $6M. It's not comparable at all.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Yes, but this is not the way the Oilers think. It's a pipe dream.
    I don't disagree that the Oilers will **** this up, I do disagree that it's impossible to fix.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I don't disagree that the Oilers will **** this up, I do disagree that it's impossible to fix.
    You're right. If Chiarelli gets another GM job this spring we can fleece him. Otherwise nobody is taking our steaming pile of dog crap contracts like Lucic.

vCash

Plus Reimer only has 2 years left at $3.4M. No way they take Lucic for 4 years at $6M. It's not comparable at all.
    No kidding. If Florida took on Lucic he would instantly become their highest paid forward. Florida is actually spending not much under the cap. They couldn't deal Reimer without getting another goalie as they only have 1 other in their system. Last thing they'd want is a boat anchor of a contract like Lucic's. Boat anchor is a good term because he skates like he's dragging one. It's not the $6M per season that really kills Lucic's trade value, it's the 4 years left that makes him untradeable unless there's a team out there willing to buy him out and use the remaining cap hit to stay above the salary cap floor. Florida doesn't appear to be such a team.

vCash

Oddly enough, a spam account has added more to this thread than Chia ever added to the Oilers.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Poor Mookiefan has gone crazy trying to get back on this site.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Oilers get 3 out 4 points with McDavid out.

I guess we know who was holding the team back.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Oilers get 3 out 4 points with McDavid out.

I guess we know who was holding the team back.
    Just imagine the right shooting D they could get for him. Might even be able to get someone like Dougie Hamilton.

vCash

The only one I know that could get us out of this mess is Walter White.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Just imagine the right shooting D they could get for him. Might even be able to get someone like Dougie Hamilton.
    I keep wondering about Hamilton. A mobile 6'6" 230# right hand shooting d-man has to be one of the rarest and most sought after commodities in the NHL. Seems like if a team having him traded him they would be immediately creating a hole in their lineup that is very difficult to fill. He was drafted 9th overall in 2011 (2nd d-man after Larsson who went 4th) yet he's already been dealt twice in 3 years and was rumoured to be available again at this year's trade deadline?!?!?!?

vCash

Must be at least a half dozen of them sitting down on lot at the Used GM Emporium. The cap mess, lack of depth on the NHL club and a farm system also thin on talent and depth is something that not even the legendary Sam Pollock could fix in one offseason.

Who is out there anyways? Chiarelli, Hextall and Gillis?

vCash

and a farm system also thin on talent
    yet that "talent" just went what was it? 17 wins in a row ?

vCash

Zack is looking for Milan money now. LOL

I'm thinking I could even make it in the NHL. Just put me on McDavid's line.
    Last edited by Uncle Bobby; 03-08-2019 at 09:49 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    yet that "talent" just went what was it? 17 wins in a row ?
    Farm team success should never be taken as indication of a team's talent down on the farm. More often than not what makes a farm team successful is their core of career minor league journeymen, many of whom aren't even property of the parent club. I'm a Red Wings fan. 2 years ago their Grand Rapids affiliate won the Calder Cup. 2 years later very little of that roster has made an impact on the team currently sitting 29th overall in the NHL. Tyler Bertuzzi is probably the biggest contributor.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Zack is looking for Milan money now. LOL

I'm thinking I could even make it in the NHL. Just put me on McDavid's line.
    Ah yes! The fire hydrant theory where even a fire hydrant could score 30 on Gretzky's line. It worked for BJ MacDonald. Also worked for Warren Young when he lined up with Mario. Not sure what it says about Lucic that he can't benefit the same. He certainly skates like a fire hydrant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Farm team success should never be taken as indication of a team's talent down on the farm. More often than not what makes a farm team successful is their core of career minor league journeymen, many of whom aren't even property of the parent club. I'm a Red Wings fan. 2 years ago their Grand Rapids affiliate won the Calder Cup. 2 years later very little of that roster has made an impact on the team currently sitting 29th overall in the NHL. Tyler Bertuzzi is probably the biggest contributor.
    100% agree. The difference this year however with the Condors is that many of the teams leaders are the prospects instead of the journeymen. Rookies Marody (22) and Benson (21) are leading the team in scoring and Yamamoto (20) has taken over from Currie's spot on their line and performed very well. Defensively, their top players are sophomores Jones (21) and Bear (21), first year player Lagesson (23) is also playing a major role as is rookie Day (24) who's on an AHL only contract. In net, rookie Starrett (24) is on a heater.

As you said, most of the times a successful AHL team does so on the strength of some AHL vets getting help from the NHL prospects. But this year's Condors are getting major contributions from the actual NHL prospects. Guaranteed, many won't turn out, but it is at least an encouraging sign.