Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

^That's fair too.

But if you've had a loved one go through a bad health scare and they ask you to keep it in the family, that may have been in play too.

Either way, I hope he's on the road to recovery.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    If my appearance changed that much, I would want everyone to know why.
    What you want everyone to know isn't what everyone necessarily wants.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Absolutely shameful missed call on the OT winner from SJ tonight. That's the kind of garbage which makes the "California fix" conspiracy theory look legitimate.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Big news today: Craig MacTavish is officially off to Russia to be the new head coach of Lokomotiv.

Still lots of work for Holland and co. to accomplish... But just having one OBC member out of the picture is absolutely huge.
    Last edited by OK14; 05-16-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I wish it were Lowe instead.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

St. Louis Blues are off to the SCF. What a miraculous turnaround from January...

vCash

More please...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Just for optics' sake, this was incredibly important.

But now the real question will be about the future of Howson and Green.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Likely making room for Playfair, Lamb, and/or Hakstol.

Not that I agree with that, just going off Twitter speculation.

vCash

I've heard about Playfair because of the Arizona connection but where are the Hakstol rumors from?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I've heard about Playfair because of the Arizona connection but where are the Hakstol rumors from?
    A Philly sportswriter tweeted it:

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Should be a lot of change in the next 48 hours....

If they're picking at 8, somebody impactful will be there. One of Cozens or Dach would be my preference and Broberg would be an absolute disaster. A lot of the US national kids are terrifying because they were playing with Hughes and Turcotte and often against inferior competition; Whalstrom and his Draft +1 should be a cautionary tale for a lot of teams and while Caufield/Zegras are intriguing, oh boy could it turn sour. With the achillles injury Krebbs would be on my DND list, personally. Those don't age well for most the part.

Beyond that, Ken's Holland work really starts the next two weeks. Tippet was a safe pick and he should be at least average.

The to do list:

1. A goalie who can play at least 40 games and push for 50. Mrazek is being rumored and that would be a nice start.
    2. Have to, unfortunately, shop JP. If he can be used as the main piece in a trade that gets you to 4 and Bowen Byram you do that. If he can fetch another similar player, say Jack Roslovic, do that.
    3. Kris Russell should be dealt for a "middle 6" forward. Ansimov?
    4. Find out if there's another bad contract that Lucic can be shed for. Eriksson would be unfortunate but maybe if you add JP you can get Sutter?
    5. DO NOT BUY ANYONE OUT - Gagner, Manning, Lucic.... you gotta wait 'em out.
    6. Find another way to add at least two more top 9 F.... maybe you sign Connolly or Donskoi and look at a deal for Conner Brown?
    7. Figure out what Nurse would want to sign for 8 years. If he'll do $6,000,0000 pull the trigger. I'd also look long and hard at playing him on the right side.

I don't think Holland needs to hit any home runs, but he needs a couple walks, a couple hits and a real nice rally for 4 runs.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1207651

Something like that is probably a strong playoff team and would have somebody like Dylan Cozen in the pipeline with Evan Bouchard coming in on the back end.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Using the 8th OV on a guy who is 2 years away from being 2 years away with the description of thinking he's a second pairing defenseman at his ceiling is less than smart.

Lavoie is a nice value pick.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Should be a lot of change in the next 48 hours....

Guess not.

I'm okay with the pick, TBH. The NHL draft has proven over and over again that outside of the top 3 picks it is ALL a crapshoot.

What I don't get is picking a 15th ranked guy at 8 when you could have traded down and still got him.

But, Holland knows more about it than me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. For a year or so.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Yeah, not trading down there is the unforgivable part. We saw a trade up shortly after so it was in the cards to get it done. That said, it certainly looks like they drafted a guy 2 years away from being 2 years away from being a #4 D. I'd much rather see a guy with a higher ceiling taken that high in the draft and there were tons of them there. I wasn't nearly as high on a lot of the USNDT guys as most so I don't mind that we didn't go that direction but I suspect one of Zegras/Boldy/Caufield make this look ugly in short order.

Loved the second round pick, huge value there.

Rumors right now are Connolly, Donskoi, Zuccarello and Mrazek. All of them make sense depending on the dollars.

As always, we wait, hope for the best but remain wary of it turning out like always.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Yeah, not trading down there is the unforgivable part. We saw a trade up shortly after so it was in the cards to get it done. That said, it certainly looks like they drafted a guy 2 years away from being 2 years away from being a #4 D. I'd much rather see a guy with a higher ceiling taken that high in the draft and there were tons of them there. I wasn't nearly as high on a lot of the USNDT guys as most so I don't mind that we didn't go that direction but I suspect one of Zegras/Boldy/Caufield make this look ugly in short order.

Rumors right now are Connolly, Donskoi, Zuccarello and Mrazek. All of them make sense depending on the dollars.

As always, we wait, hope for the best but remain wary of it turning out like always.
    And how is this cap space created?

vCash

Zuccarello to the Oilers? No chance.

vCash

I don't think Broberg is 4 years away. But anybody who thinks that any pick at #8 was gonna play this year (or next) is dreaming. Like I said, its a crapshoot. He may be a top pairing D, he may not make the NHL. Nobody knows.

I was surprised that Holland didn't get more done over the weekend. But, that tells me that other teams were lowballing him because they know he's not dealing from a position of strength. He is right to wait them out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    And how is this cap space created?
    They have $8,333,000 right now.

Need a backup goalie and 4 forwards. Get a couple guys in low and there's some room. Can/will make some more by demoting Brandon Manning. Don't need more than $1,000,000 in season.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

With how thin the UFA defensive crop is, I have to think that Russell will have some value. Braun when for a 2nd and 3rd and he's making 200k less, he is a right shot but is a defensive dman. It's rumored that Myers might get a 7 yr deal at 7 mill or more. He was on the Jets 3rd pair and while slightly better than Russell and right handed, he's not almost twice as good. Having the extra year maybe makes it slightly harder but if I was the Oilers, even if I had to retain 1 mill, I'd trade Russell for almost any pick. He's not a bad player but with even 3 mill, there is your really good back up goalie paid for.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I have a very bad feeling we're going to hear about an Andrej Sekera buyout in about 23 hours.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

And we did. Dumb.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Holland is who I hoped he wasn't.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

The 29th best GM in the NHL?

vCash

Holland is who I hoped he wasn't.
    I don't get it either. You keep Russel but buy out Sekera?

But hey, our goalies are set to be Koskinen and Smith.

Looks like I'll be watching Netflix this fall. The Oilers will miss the playoffs. And nobody will give a crap that Ken Holland is looking 5 years down the road.

I didn't expect an overnight fix for everything. But if Holland doesn't know that the Oilers MUST make the playoffs this year OR ELSE, then he's been vastly over rated. They need to improve. Not regress then improve.

vCash

So far Ken Holland has reached at #8, signed two fourth line wingers, bought out at worst his 4th best defenseman and signed the worst goalie in the league last year. Holy ****.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

So far Ken Holland has reached at #8, signed two fourth line wingers, bought out at worst his 4th best defenseman and signed the worst goalie in the league last year. Holy ****.
    And Lucic is still an Oiler.

Holland, to me, is clearly looking 5 years down the road. Thing is, Oiler fans are out of patience. So will the owner be when the ticket sales stop and McDavid demands a trade out of the worst franchise in sports.

vCash

Edmonton Oiler Top 9 Wingers: Draisatl (isn't he a C?)
    Edmonton Oiler 4th line wingers: Lucic, Gagner, Kassian, Granlund, Khaira, Chiasson, CapSpace™

Superbowl Champs 2013.