Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Oilers Season Thread

vCash
    Blog Entries

NHL 2017-18 Oilers Season Thread

Hockey is back!

"No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Re: 2017-18 Oilers Season Thread

Word on the street:

McDavid is stronger, faster and has a better shot.

130 points?
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

2017-18 Oilers Season Thread

30% more than last year is really optimistic. I'd set the over/under at 110.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    30% more than last year is really optimistic. I'd set the over/under at 110.
    I'll have to find the article, but the on ice SH% in high danger area's was actually *below* average last year.

Plus the NHL is apparently going to start calling penalties again.

Apparently.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I'll have to find the article, but the on ice SH% in high danger area's was actually *below* average last year.

Plus the NHL is apparently going to start calling penalties again.

Apparently.
    I'll believe it when I see it.

I will say this though...if McDavid gets 130, the Oilers are winning their division and he's going to have a 2nd straight Hart.

vCash

I'll believe it when I see it.

I will say this though...if McDavid gets 130, the Oilers are winning their division and he's going to have a 2nd straight Hart.
    McDavid is so far off the bell curve he makes predictions impossible.

Yes, he's that good.

I'm 29 and I have no recollection of a better hockey player outside of *maybe* Dominek Hasek 97/98/99.

Hasek took a team that had no business being in the SCF there.

McDavid can do the same, even if he's only on the ice for 35% of the game.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Best I've ever seen and I've watched a lot of hockey in my life.

Based on this first period in Edmonton, we just might see a tonne of penalties this year. They are calling EVERYTHING. Good news for the Oilers who should have a top 5 PP and the league's best player at drawing penalties.

vCash

And if guys stop taking those penalties, then......

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Yeah. If they are going to call the stickwork like this early in the year, McDavid is going to blow the door off of predictions. Tons of penalties, means a lot of PowerPlay points for McDavid, once the players adjust and stop the stickwork, more room for MacDavid, leading to more 5x5 points. Could bode well for the Oilers this year as long as they can improve their PK from last year (which I'm a little skeptical about).

vCash

I like that the rules are being called more consistently. The question is, will that hold up past a couple of pre-season games, or will the whistles disappear again as the season progresses, particularly in April when they tend to do?

vCash

I would just like to see the rules called consistently and have it STAY that same standard. Even if they decided to scale back a little with penalties, have it stay that way all year and into the playoffs. What I hate is the season standard then the complete lawlessness that is playoff hockey. If you decide it's a penalty in the regular season then keep it as a penalty in the playoffs.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I like that the rules are being called more consistently. The question is, will that hold up past a couple of pre-season games, or will the whistles disappear again as the season progresses, particularly in April when they tend to do?
    Players will adjust so the whistles will definitely disappear. It will be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs though.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Oilers/Maroon talking extension. How much is Chia going to overpay now? I'm in favour of keeping Maroon but only at the right price.

Credit to woodguy:

Pretty staggering difference when playing with McDavid compared to not.

Had you saved $1M in each of the Lucic/Drai/Russell contracts, you could use that to pay him. Of course, some people don't understand how overpaying a player by $1M can hurt a team.

But now, I don't think you can afford him. And if you sign him anyway, it probably costs you RNH.
    Last edited by Angelus; 09-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.

vCash

Dammit Angelus beat me to the punch.

I think he's actually a pretty damn good player even away from 97.

That said... 3 years at 3.75 has to be the max. I don't see Patrick doing that on the only contract he'll ever get paid on.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Chia will pay north of 4/per.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Your Blood Pressure must be thru the roof worrying about what Chia will pay out next

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Your Blood Pressure must be thru the roof worrying about what Chia will pay out next
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

What are peoples thoughts on the Oilers as we head toward the close of the pre-season?

I've been shocked, frankly, by the play of Yamamoto. I watched the guy a bunch playing in Victoria...and I knew he had the skills and speed to play at the NHL level. What has shocked me is how he has been able to translate his hockey IQ to the big show. Still think he needs to head back for another year but it's been very encouraging to see him do what he has done so far...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

I'd be really cautious about burning a year of his ELC when we'll need those bargain contracts a lot more starting next year. The first week of pre-season is a lot different than the second week of pre-season, which is different than the intensity of the regualr season. If he keeps shining through these last few pre-season games, I'd be open to giving him a few games in the regular season to give him a taste and see how he handles it, but we'd better be damn sure he is the first or second best option at right wing before starting the clock on his ELC. (And if he's the third best option, I wouldn't waste a year playing him third line).

vCash
    Blog Entries

I've been saying for a long time now that the Oilers have to go for it this year. This is their window. Before McDavid's contract kicks in.

So it's hard for me to say send him back when he might be the best RW we have.

Give him 9 games. Re-evaluate.

The good news is that because this guy wasn't a top 5 pick, the bonuses built into his contract are nominal.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the Oilers as we head toward the close of the pre-season?

I've been shocked, frankly, by the play of Yamamoto. I watched the guy a bunch playing in Victoria...and I knew he had the skills and speed to play at the NHL level. What has shocked me is how he has been able to translate his hockey IQ to the big show. Still think he needs to head back for another year but it's been very encouraging to see him do what he has done so far...
    We are 6-1-1 and you don't hear much from the hockey press, especially TSN (their busy telling me how well the leafs youth movement will do this year and why is Montreal struggling) but early indications look promising. Offensive production sure seems to be there, granted it is preseason, and McDavid is shooting the puck more and using his speed more effectively in open ice. Yamamoto has been a real surprise.... the little guy is playing LARGE and doesn't look out of place out there. I think it will be tough to decide for Chia/Mac when they send him back down (which is likely the smarter move for now). I still think we need to be stingier on defense and not give up the blueline/mid ice play as easily. I sure as hell am not encouraging "the trap" but good teams know how to clog up the neutral ice and make it harder for you to get out of your own end (take that standard mid ice passing lane away more). Goaltending has been decent but not spectacular by any means. Talbot should be rested and ready to pick up exactly where he left off last year.

I would agree that this is the year they need to push hard and go for the cup. in the next 2-3 years they will be paying the piper for contracts so they need to win NOW! What kind of pressure (if any) it puts on the younger bunch to excel will remain to be seen.
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoses View Post
    We are 6-1-1 and you don't hear much from the hockey press, especially TSN
    Preseason is entirely meaningless. The top 2 teams in preseason last year were Colorado and Detroit.

vCash

New freaking Jersey is second overall in the pre-season. You can't tell me you think that is going to last once the puck drops for real.

The Oil should compete this year. Anything less than appearing in the finals should be considered a failure. That said, we were extremely lucky in staying healthy last year. A key injury to one of our major players, or even multiple minor injuries to players where we lack significant depth (RW, D, and G) could derail the season quickly. Hopefully Sekera comes back earlier rather than later and doesn't take too long to get up to game speed. Hopefully Yam and Pul can continue their strong play in the regular season.

vCash

Preseason is entirely meaningless. The top 2 teams in preseason last year were Colorado and Detroit.
    Correct but still.... it shows you where the interest/bias is in terms of reporting. Some teams matter more than others.
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash
    Blog Entries

They couldn't even make it out of preseason with Drai on his own line. Good thing we had to pay 8.5M for that big centerman.

vCash

They couldn't even make it out of preseason with Drai on his own line. Good thing we had to pay 8.5M for that big centerman.
    It’s just one practice. If they start game one like that then I’m with you. Could be just as much a chance to see if RNH/Luc/Yam can play together.

vCash

McLellan basically said at the start of camp that he wanted to get those two guys together at some point in the preseason. So I guess this is it.

We have a lot more moving pieces than we did last year so I suspect you are going to see far more blendering of the lines than you saw last season...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

I think it's just as much to see how Strome looks at C.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Good thing preseason is entirely meaningless...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Cmon!!! I disagree with you entirely on hockey decisions (I thank Christ you aren't our gm even though you've publicly stated you could be!), but even you are smarter than this post!!!!!