Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

Of all the games to get free tickets to, last night was a good one!

Crushed playoff hopes aside, it was fun to see the opposition goalie get absolutely trashed instead of the other way around.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Nicholson: "If RNH and Drai had scored 10-12 more hat tricks, we'd be in the playoffs."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Nicholson: "If RNH and Drai had scored 10-12 more hat tricks, we'd be in the playoffs."
    you're right it's all their faults and that McDavid guy like can he not play 54 minutes a night? Wimp....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

It's looking very much like the Oilers will miss the playoffs by 5 to 7 points. So, what would it take to take 5 of those losses and put them in the win column?

While not the only move I'd make, I think you need to trade Kris Russell. $4m is too much for a 4th LD. Gets you cap space back or even better some depth in your bottom 6 forwards.

Then on from there. But that has to get done. Too many bone headed plays as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    you're right it's all their faults and that McDavid guy like can he not play 54 minutes a night? Wimp....
    Give the Oilers brass some time and 97 will get the Hall treatment.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 03-27-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    It's looking very much like the Oilers will miss the playoffs by 5 to 7 points. So, what would it take to take 5 of those losses and put them in the win column?
    This is an off year though. Normally it would take 96+ points to make the playoffs so they're still far away in my mind. They have a -32 goal differential. Calgary is +55. Think about how much improvement is required just to be on par with Calgary.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    This is an off year though. Normally it would take 96+ points to make the playoffs so they're still far away in my mind. They have a -32 goal differential. Calgary is +55. Think about how much improvement is required just to be on par with Calgary.
    Roughly 87 goals.

I blame Toby.

vCash

The problem is the defense and the bottom 6. Yet Oilers fans always over-rate their own players, even in the face if the evidence. As an Oiler fan if the Oilers should trade one of their 4 LD (Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Russell) and they'll say they like all of them. But if they are that good then why are they -32?
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

It's one thing to trade those players. It's another thing to win the trade. That's one of the main things that Chia was terrible at (that, and overpaying for size/character/culture). How many trades did he actually win?

Nobody is untouchable for the right price. Hell, you could even trade McDavid, but the return better be something beyond spectacular (would Crosby AND Malkin be enough?).

vCash

It's one thing to trade those players. It's another thing to win the trade. That's one of the main things that Chia was terrible at (that, and overpaying for size/character/culture). How many trades did he actually win?

Nobody is untouchable for the right price. Hell, you could even trade McDavid, but the return better be something beyond spectacular (would Crosby AND Malkin be enough?).
    Well, they need cap space. Maybe I'm crazy, but $4M for a 4th LD who makes bone headed plays a lot is too much. Sometimes it is addition by subtraction.

vCash

Well, they need cap space. Maybe I'm crazy, but $4M for a 4th LD who makes bone headed plays a lot is too much. Sometimes it is addition by subtraction.
    And that's fair. But win the trade. Maybe in this case winning simply involves not taking on an equally bad contract in return. (Caggiula was a good example. Trading him wasn't a bad idea by itself. Trading him for Manning was terrible.)

vCash

And that's fair. But win the trade. Maybe in this case winning simply involves not taking on an equally bad contract in return. (Caggiula was a good example. Trading him wasn't a bad idea by itself. Trading him for Manning was terrible.)
    Sure. I'd say, though, that if you have Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera all on your LD, you can trade Russell for either a pick or a useful bottom 6 forward and win that trade without too much trouble. If you get a useful bottom 6 forward you'd still likely save $2M in cap space.

And, I mean that's just to start. You still need a top RD. Right now their top 2 are Larsson and Benning. Not good enough. That should be your #2 and #3.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Just in case you missed the Bob Cole HNIC opening this Saturday, here it is:

vCash
    Blog Entries

How do you know it's April?

Because the Leafs are out!

(Yes, they made it farther than we did...but hey, this suffering Oilers fan will take any victory he can get.)
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I saw a couple of polls of Canadian fans of other teams, whether they would support the Leafs as the last Canadian team in the playoffs. It's amazing how little support there is for the Leafs outside of Toronto. Maybe the Toronto Sports Network has done a little too much to promote their home team.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I saw a couple of polls of Canadian fans of other teams, whether they would support the Leafs as the last Canadian team in the playoffs. It's amazing how little support there is for the Leafs outside of Toronto. Maybe the Toronto Sports Network has done a little too much to promote their home team.
    interesting to hear this. I'm a Bruins fan and was getting sick of the Toronto slant to EVERYTHING but thought maybe I was just looking at it through my Bruins colored glasses.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Marchand has more heart than half the Leafs combined.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Marchand has more heart than half the Leafs combined.
    Now that he's not treating the opposing teams like lollipops, I would agree.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I would fall into one of those Canadians who would rather just about anyone else win that the Leafs. What is there to like about the Leafs? Their games are rammed down our throats whether we want to watch them or not. Our sports station talk about them non stop and their media do nothing but bash Western Canadian teams. I can't stand the Flames but I would cheer for them over the Leafs any day.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

With no Oilers in the playoffs again, my only real interest in the playoffs was cheering for Calgary and Toronto to lose. I half-heartedly wanted to see Vegas and Winnipeg advance. The teams I wanted to lose are out, the teams I wanted to win are out, so now I can turn my attention to who will be the next GM for me to complain about, and which draft pick we'll screw up next.

vCash

On the plus side, with Las Vegas out, the Oilers can get that interview in with Kelly McCrimmon for the GM position.

Personally, when the Oilers aren't in it, I rarely watch playoffs after the first round, which I always find the most exciting hockey. Last year was a bit different with the Las Vegas run. I may catch some Islanders games as my younger brother is a die hard fan, but I'm itching for some football.

vCash

I'm sure TSN will still lead with leaf news during sportsdesk and future Stanley cup pregame shows....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    On the plus side, with Las Vegas out, the Oilers can get that interview in with Kelly McCrimmon for the GM position.

Personally, when the Oilers aren't in it, I rarely watch playoffs after the first round, which I always find the most exciting hockey. Last year was a bit different with the Las Vegas run. I may catch some Islanders games as my younger brother is a die hard fan, but I'm itching for some football.
    A secondary positive is that there aren't reinforcements going down to the Barracuda who could potentially be the farm teams next opponent (assuming they take care of their own business). I want to see the Condors go on a run in the playoffs. Last time I remember the farm team going on a run, a couple years later young players from that team were huge help on the Oilers cup run in 2006 (Stoll, Bergeron, Torres)

vCash
    Blog Entries

It's hard to know if McCrimmon would be the right guy for the job. But I gotta say, I love the way Vegas plays. They are fast, transition the puck extremely well, and use their sticks properly. They should have won easily last night and in game 6. So if he had a lot to do with assembling that squad, I think we could do a lot worse.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

It's hard to know if McCrimmon would be the right guy for the job. But I gotta say, I love the way Vegas plays. They are fast, transition the puck extremely well, and use their sticks properly. They should have won easily last night and in game 6. So if he had a lot to do with assembling that squad, I think we could do a lot worse.
    That's the Oiler way.

vCash

Now I realize it was Rod Pederson that is starting this, but Ken Holland??

vCash
    Blog Entries

No no no no no no no no NO.

Had a great run back in the day, but failed to adapt his methods - especially once other teams clued in to the European draft pipeline.

So of course, the Oilers will hire him.

vCash

It doesn't matter who they hire. By now there should have been other moves in the organization. Yet there has been nothing. What good is it to hire a new GM only to surround him with the usual gang of idiots. Does anyone believe that the new GM will have free reign.

Waste.
    Of.
    Time.

Daryl Katz is the worst owner in sports.

vCash
    Blog Entries

It doesn't matter who they hire. By now there should have been other moves in the organization. Yet there has been nothing. What good is it to hire a new GM only to surround him with the usual gang of idiots. Does anyone believe that the new GM will have free reign.

Waste.
    Of.
    Time.

Daryl Katz is the worst owner in sports.
    Worse than Harold Ballard?

(Mind you, that's kind of like comparing a plane wreck to a train wreck... Different levels, but both equally bad.)

vCash

I didn't say worst in sports history. LOL!