Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

The potential upside of this vastly outweighs keeping Lucic on the roster IMO.

vCash

I would be shocked to see Calgary do that unless we added one hell of a sweetener...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post

For the record James Neal is probably cooked. That said, he's only a year removed from 25 goals, is slightly cheaper and can actually be bought out.
    I don't think Neal has any sort of NMC attached to his contract. If that is true, it is also a bonus if we want to shop him sometime in the future.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

yeah, pretty tidy work from Holland there. It's still a boat anchor, just a bit lighter.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

I cannot believe he pulled that off...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I don't think Neal has any sort of NMC attached to his contract. If that is true, it is also a bonus if we want to shop him sometime in the future.
    He doesn't have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft. It's not bonus heavy so it can be bought out. It's a much better contract for the Oil to take on.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Can also put him on waivers and/or send him to the minors.

In the end both players might be done, but only one has a contract you can work around.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Pretty low risk move for the Oilers. Why the hell would Calgary make that deal? Hell, Neal didn't work out in Calgary, but he's not far removed from 20+ goals a season.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Neal was terrible last year, had significant off ice issues and this saves the Flames $11,000,000 in real dollars.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Cautiously optimistic about this deal. I'm not banning on Neal having a huge rebound year, but if he does that makes this deal sweeter. It's more that we've got someone that we can buyout of need be or at least an anchor we don't actually have to protect in the expansion draft. I think that's a win for Holland.

vCash

I'd try like hell to convince JP98 to come back and then run this:

Benson-McDavid-Neal

Benson's AHL #'s suggest he can play and right away and if Neal bounces back these are the types of players you need McDavid to elevate.

Drai-RNH-Puljujarvi

JP has always had great numbers when he plays with good players and giving RNH Draisatl gives you two real lines.

Nygard-Maroody-Kassian

Huge question mark line, but you give Maroody come fast boots on either side and hope he picks up half a step over the summer, he's really their only RHC.

Granlund-Khaira-Chiasson

I have no idea why they signed Chiasson on July 1st.

Still leaves Archibald/Brodziak/Cave/Gagner all fighting, there's a ridiculous amount of 4th line talents on this team.

Klefbom/Nurse

Nurse is gonna get paid but I want to see if he can play RHD - with his style of skating the puck out I believe he can.

Jones/Larsson

Russell/Benning

No true second pairing there but probably the best way to play it stylistically.

All kinds of things would still have to go right to make this work, including the kids stepping up (Benson/Maroody/Puljujarvi/Jones) and Neal bouncing back.... and the goaltending is still a potential nuclear bomb, but this is a good deal and opens up options.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Lucic had to go and I do not know bout the financial implications but James Neal was awful last year, at least as bad as lucic. Like stinky bad and he has had attitude issues as well in his career. I'd be very cautious about saying this is a big win for the oilers.

We now have two of the worst players from Calgary last year their goalie (even though he was good in the playoffs and neal)

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Lucic had to go and I do not know bout the financial implications but James Neal was awful last year, at least as bad as lucic. Like stinky bad and he has had attitude issues as well in his career. I'd be very cautious about saying this is a big win for the oilers.

We now have two of the worst players from Calgary last year their goalie (even though he was good in the playoffs and neal)
    Lucic needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Flames should have fun with that.

Even if Neal is as bad as Lucic, you buy him out next year. It's a huge win.

vCash

I do not understand this at all from Calgary’s perspective?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I do not understand this at all from Calgary’s perspective?
    Lucic Makes $16M over the next 4 years in real dollars.

Neal makes $23M over the next 4 years in real dollars (I'd read $27 earlier, but that was wrong).

Add in that Neal and the HC didn't get along and Neal was getting into all kinds of trouble in Calgary and it adds up a bit.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

3rd round pick and $750k retained is pretty rough, but still something they had to pull the trigger on. Thanks Tracksuit.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Price was high to rid themselves of that contract. I liked it better a few minutes ago.

vCash

If they give up the third it means Neal got at least 20 goals and out scored Lucic by 10+.... so if we give up the third we're probably not buying Neal out. Was a nice dream when it was reported one for one, but this isn't bad.

Looks like either we give up a third and Neal is a useful player, or we buy him out a year from now if he's a bust. Not ideal to be doing a 6 year buyout but that Lucic contract was damn poison.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

It's a terrific trade for Edmonton and after Neal scores 22 for us it will look even better.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens