Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

The current rumors are that it's Holland's job if he wants it. So we want to hire a guy who put his own team in salary cap hell (and whose success was primarily in the pre salary cap era and hasn't done much since), to fix our salary cap hell. Lather, rinse, miss the playoffs, repeat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    The current rumors are that it's Holland's job if he wants it. So we want to hire a guy who put his own team in salary cap hell (and whose success was primarily in the pre salary cap era and hasn't done much since), to fix our salary cap hell. Lather, rinse, miss the playoffs, repeat.
    I'm not sure Holland is the right guy either. But he has won a Stanley Cup in the cap era, and the Detroit rebuild isn't off the rails. And he would insist that its HIS show to run.

After Chiarelli, Holland would seem like Jesus.

Keith Gretzky may well be the best guy for the job, but he won't get hired because they won't sell any tickets.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I'm not sure Holland is the right guy either. But he has won a Stanley Cup in the cap era, and the Detroit rebuild isn't off the rails. And he would insist that its HIS show to run.

Keith Gretzky may well be the best guy for the job, but he won't get hired because they won't sell any tickets.
    Just reminding you that Chiarelli also won a cup during the salary cap era as well.

vCash

Keith Gretzky was in charge of the Bruins 2015 draft, where they had 3 consecutive first round picks and chose, Debrusk (good pick), Senshyn and Zaboril, while passing on Aho, Connor, Chabot, Boeser and Barzal, to name a few.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Either way I would be surprised to see Holland end up coming here.

I think they will hire Hunter.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

whomever it will be.. the number one stipulation will be they can not outright fire the OBC ( which is sorely needed). IMO this all falls on Katz being a jock sniffer rather than a real owner that the oilers need.

vCash

Apparently I'm wrong and Holland is likely to take the job, as per Dreger.

edit: Yup. Definitely happening.

Watching Twitter explode into "Jesus" and "Satan" caps should be entertaining.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 05-05-2019 at 11:54 AM.

vCash

I was right. It was ever-so-entertaining to watch Twitter explode over Holland. Honestly, I don't blame Oiler fans. As one myself, I don't trust that any of this will be fixed by anybody. I'll feel that way until I am proven wrong.

vCash

I am surprised Holland came. I can understand why the Oilers wanted him, I just didn't see the upside for him. He's leaving a City and organization that he is been with for over 30 yrs. It's his home, his family is happy there, he's comfortable with the organization and he'd be completely uprooting his life. He was so comfortable that before he could say yes, he had to meet the wife of is dead boss face to face to probably say sorry to the family for leaving and hug it out. So I didn't think it would happen.

I am not sure if he is the right guy for the job but what I do think is, Holland doesn't leave everything he knows, risks tarnishing his legacy and comes to Edmonton to be a puppet and be told "here are your right hand men Kenny" and be forced to keep Mac T, Howson, Sutter and the rest of the day to day guys. I don't see it. He's going to come here and want to bring in his own guys and if there is one guy who has the experience and pedigree to be able to tell management to fire a few of the guys who really, really need to go, it would be him. I hope it happens which would be a positive.

- - - Updated - - -

I was right. It was ever-so-entertaining to watch Twitter explode over Holland. Honestly, I don't blame Oiler fans. As one myself, I don't trust that any of this will be fixed by anybody. I'll feel that way until I am proven wrong.
    I would like to know who Oilers fans would have found acceptable because one thing I have noticed is it didn't matter who the potential candidate was, Oilers fans and bloggers carved them up.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Obviously, anyone that accepts this job is incompetent and shouldn't have the job.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Obviously, anyone that accepts this job is incompetent and shouldn't have the job.
    You are exactly right. Based on what I have read over the last month or so as some of the candidates got leaked. Every single candidate was terrible, didn't matter who they were. What I learned over this GM hunt is:
    - If the candidate was a former GM. If he made even 1 bad trade or signing, that meant he is a horrible contract negotiator, no clue how to manage the cap, and is completely incapable of assessing players on the pro side. If he ever made 1 bad pick, that means he doesn't know how to draft what so ever.
    - If he is an assistant GM. He either doesn't have enough experience. If he has lots of A.GM experience, he must be horrible at his job because no one else hired him. If he is an assistant GM of a good team, he didn't do anything, it was all the GM. If he has a scouting background, he better hit on every single pick over his entire scouting career, otherwise, he can't draft.
    - The GM can't be old or young.
    - He better not have any ties what so ever to anyone that has ever worked or played with the Oilers. If he does, it's automatic disqualification.
    - He better not have any ties to Hockey Canada.

So I would love to know who this mythical person is that would have been acceptable to Oilers fans. Even Steve Yzerman hasn't been perfect in all his trades and signings as well as he has Hockey Canada ties. So I would have to think that he wouldn't have been accepted either.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 05-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Mahat Ma Christ may qualify
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

I'm sure Ed Hervey can do hockey
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'm sure Ed Hervey can do hockey
    He really was the only reasonable option.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    He really was the only reasonable option.
    Yeah, but winning isn't everything.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am surprised Holland came. I can understand why the Oilers wanted him, I just didn't see the upside for him. He's leaving a City and organization that he is been with for over 30 yrs. It's his home, his family is happy there, he's comfortable with the organization and he'd be completely uprooting his life. He was so comfortable that before he could say yes, he had to meet the wife of is dead boss face to face to probably say sorry to the family for leaving and hug it out. So I didn't think it would happen.

I am not sure if he is the right guy for the job but what I do think is, Holland doesn't leave everything he knows, risks tarnishing his legacy and comes to Edmonton to be a puppet and be told "here are your right hand men Kenny" and be forced to keep Mac T, Howson, Sutter and the rest of the day to day guys. I don't see it. He's going to come here and want to bring in his own guys and if there is one guy who has the experience and pedigree to be able to tell management to fire a few of the guys who really, really need to go, it would be him. I hope it happens which would be a positive.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to know who Oilers fans would have found acceptable because one thing I have noticed is it didn't matter who the potential candidate was, Oilers fans and bloggers carved them up.
    Just what the Oilers need is yesterdecades GM. Here is one guy's opinion.

The Oilers need to look to the future not the past. But what can anyone expect when the NHL's worst owner is presiding.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Yeah, but winning isn't everything.

vCash

I'll wait and see. The Oilers could have done worse. I have heard conflicting reports on how the Detroit rebuild was going. There seem to be 2 camps: One that says it was a train wreck, another that says that you lose a lot during a rebuild but that the cupboards are pretty well stocked with good young talent.

I just hope he can work some salary cap magic. THAT is the big issue, afaik.

vCash

I'd be curious to know how much of the Wings not being good right now can be traced back to the organizational goal and more so their dying owners goal of just keeping the playoff streak alive. I heard guys in the organization talk about the importance when it was going. Media people covering the team would talk about it. Even the players including their key guys like Zetterberg talking about how important keeping the streak alive was. It wasn't about winning the cup, just about making the playoffs. If you have an owner who's goal is to just make the playoffs and do whatever it takes to keep some streak alive, you are probably going to not trade a UFA at the deadline like you should because he might get you in. Your team realistically isn't good enough to win but if you spend a few assets to bring in a player, you can squeak in. When Stamkos was thinking about being a free agent, they went hard after him when in reality, the rest of their team wasn't that great. Then spent a bunch of money on a guy like Nieslen. As soon as Mike Illitch died, the Wings immediately went into rebuild mode and start stock piling picks and not going big game hunting.

vCash

Anyone notice how bad Katz looked today? What's up with that, d'yathink?

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Things having gone well for the Oilers since Katz bought the team. He has probably ran the Oilers as more of a fan than a business. BUt I wish the guy well in his fight for his life.

I saw lots of tweets with people making fun of his looks. You don't have to like what he has done while owning the Oilers but it's pretty low class to make fun of a person's looks.

vCash

^Twitter can be a mean place some days(most days).

I thought he looked sick when I saw the press conference but didn't want to speculate.

I too hope he recovers from his sickness. It looks like it has taken a toll on him in a big way.

vCash

People shouldn't speculate. They should ask. Like some smart guy did earlier in this thread.

vCash

People shouldn't speculate. They should ask. Like some smart guy did earlier in this thread.
    Someone did ask. John Shannon.

I wasn't at the conference to ask.

And people will always speculate things. Just human nature.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Someone did ask. John Shannon.

I wasn't at the conference to ask.

And people will always speculate things. Just human nature.
    The Oilers should have made an announcement prior to the conference or at least leaked it through a media guy. Pretty stupid that they didn't.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Angelus, what do you think of the Ken Holland hiring?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Angelus, what do you think of the Ken Holland hiring?
    I'm pretty meh on it. His cap management has been pretty awful so I don't know what makes people think he can fix our cap problems. I think he's more a product of a couple lucky picks (Zetterberg, Datsyuk) and having Lidstrom patrol the blueline for 15 years rather than a great GM.

But at least we can all agree he won't do dumb **** like trading Hall for Larsson.

My biggest issue with it is that Nicholson did the exact same thing as last time. Hired a Hockey Canada buddy who has won a Cup as a GM. After all the preaching about doing an extensive search and getting the best guy for the job, he did the exact same thing. And you know what they say about insanity.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    The Oilers should have made an announcement prior to the conference or at least leaked it through a media guy. Pretty stupid that they didn't.
    Not if he asked them for it to be private.

I wouldn't want people telling the world that I was that sick. That's a personal choice.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Not if he asked them for it to be private.

I wouldn't want people telling the world that I was that sick. That's a personal choice.
    If my appearance changed that much, I would want everyone to know why. It's a fair point, but it's also speculation.