Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

God I feel so sorry for McDavid.

How can one franchise be so far out to lunch? I wonder how much the " too many cooks in the kitchen" plays into effect. MacT, 6rings, gretz, Nicholson, Chai, hitch....

vCash

Honestly, I don't know why I'm putting any effort into caring about this joke any more. Someone make a compelling argument for a new sport and a new team for me to follow.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Honestly, I don't know why I'm putting any effort into caring about this joke any more. Someone make a compelling argument for a new sport and a new team for me to follow.
    I'm hoping for Connor to get traded. Then I have a new team.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

They will need to board up the building before that trade occurs. Then after the trade maybe the could sell 10,000 used arena seats to someone.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 01-22-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Hinch actually wins
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

right now if Connor asked for a trade I woudn't even be mad at him. He deserves better.

- - - Updated - - -

right now if Connor asked for a trade I woudn't even be mad at him. He deserves better.

course with all the damage Chia has done..to save his ass he might consider trading him.

vCash

well that meeting worked out well..

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Next idiot up... it's the Oilers way!
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

No decent gm candidate will take the job.
    Only non members of the 'Club' get fired.
    There will be no change with this team because the clown show providing info and support for the gm is still there.
    Don't get all giddy oiler fans.

vCash

This is SO true!

vCash

Make McDavid GM. It's the right thing to do.

vCash

Live stream of the presser

vCash

Until Nicholson, MacT, Lowe, Howson and Gretzky are gone, they will not get a dime of my money. They are all to blame.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Until Nicholson, MacT, Lowe, Howson and Gretzky are gone, they will not get a dime of my money. They are all to blame.
    they are giving the reins to the guy who is responsible for the debacle that is the 2015 Bruins draft where they passed up on Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Boeser, Beauvillier and Konecny for DeBrusk, Senyshyn and Zaboril. ALL of the players listed have more points than all 3 of the Bruins players combined. This was Keith Gretzkys baby......... good luck with that.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    they are giving the reins to the guy who is responsible for the debacle that is the 2015 Bruins draft where they passed up on Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Boeser, Beauvillier and Konecny for DeBrusk, Senyshyn and Zaboril. ALL of the players listed have more points than all 3 of the Bruins players combined. This was Keith Gretzkys baby......... good luck with that.
    Debrusk is a good player but yeah, they f--ked that up about as bad as the Oilers at 16.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Debrusk is a good player but yeah, they f--ked that up about as bad as the Oilers at 16.
    No doubt DeBrusk is good, but they could have gotten the other 2 in round 2 and came away with a couple of other REALLY good players. I was high on Chabot and was super pumped he made it to the Bruins pick, then just as quickly disappointed they didn't take him.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

This is SO true!
    I was watching Sportsnet on Wednesday. I think it was on McCown's show. They had Nicholson on. They asked him about the Koskinen deal and if that was all Chiarelli's. He said no. They had been discussing internally for quite some time about what they would do with Talbot and Koskinen moving forward as both would be UFAs in July. He said the organization made the decision quite awhile ago that Koskinen would be the guy and made the deal with him. He said they also let Talbot know what they were doing before the Koskinen deal was announced.

vCash

And now by them showing their hand this early in advance of the trade deadline, they have not only overpaid for too long an unproven, and I’m sure will turn out to be average at best goalie, they also now have driven Talbots trade value even lower than it already was. Could of actually been a bargaining chip if other teams came inquiring about him.

vCash

Even if we retained half of Talbot's salary, I can't see him having much value. A non contender won't bother, and a contender probably doesn't want even half that contract for a back-up, unless we take salary coming back, which we don't want or need.

vCash

With Talbot being a free agent this year, he would be a fairly cheap rental when you pro-rate his salary for the balance of the year. I could see a contending team with back-up uncertainty looking to add him. That's not a huge list, but considering we don't plan on re-signing him, anything for him would be a good trade.

vCash

With Talbot being a free agent this year, he would be a fairly cheap rental when you pro-rate his salary for the balance of the year. I could see a contending team with back-up uncertainty looking to add him. That's not a huge list, but considering we don't plan on re-signing him, anything for him would be a good trade.
    I haven't been paying much attention to the rest of the league but is there a team with good underlying numbers but inconsistent goaltending near the playoff cut? If so, a team like that may give him a try (with retention) hoping the different environment could have him perform to 2017 levels.

edit to add:

Maybe a Colorado as Varlamov hasn't been overly strong compared to usual and they have lots of cap room.
    However, I don't know how their defense has looked. Or St. Louis?

The problem though is they wouldn't want to help someone they are battling with for the wild card spots.
    Last edited by bone; 01-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I haven't been paying much attention to the rest of the league but is there a team with good underlying numbers but inconsistent goaltending near the playoff cut? If so, a team like that may give him a try (with retention) hoping the different environment could have him perform to 2017 levels.
    It may take him a while to rebound. It took Dubnyk a couple years to get whatever was in the "Edmonton water" out of his system before he rose to become a Vezina & Hart Trophy nominee.

vCash
    Blog Entries

San Jose has had pretty bad goaltending lately. But Talbot isn't even better than most team's backups. Why would anyone trust him? .894 this year. His value is pretty much nil IMO.

Someone taking a flier on him next year might make out well. He put up a couple years of great numbers here and then a couple not so good years.
    Last edited by Angelus; 01-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

It may take him a while to rebound. It took Dubnyk a couple years to get whatever was in the "Edmonton water" out of his system before he rose to become a Vezina & Hart Trophy nominee.
    Dubnyk, when playing 30+ games, put up .916, .914, .921 as an Oiler. Then MacT said he didn't trust him and he dropped an .894 and was chased out of Edmonton.

My point is that he was good here. He didn't just leave and suddenly find his game. He was legit while he was here and for some reason was hated on.

vCash

Dubnyk, when playing 30+ games, put up .916, .914, .921 as an Oiler. Then MacT said he didn't trust him and he dropped an .894 and was chased out of Edmonton.

My point is that he was good here. He didn't just leave and suddenly find his game. He was legit while he was here and for some reason was hated on.
    Oh I agree with you (and I was one of the guys who dumped on him every once in a while). I think it's less about the talent and more about the environment. A player needs some time to readjust to a proper hockey culture after leaving this poop show.

vCash

San Jose has had pretty bad goaltending lately. But Talbot isn't even better than most team's backups. Why would anyone trust him? .894 this year. His value is pretty much nil IMO.
    I could see why no one would trust him, but a team with typically good defense but bad goaltending may take a flyer for the playoff/cup run hoping that his number are moreso a reflection of the team defense in front of him rather than his overall ability.

He could be one of those that just needs a change of scenery. When he doesn't get scored on early in a game, he actually plays pretty well more often than not, and even then he usually settles down and plays okay in the 2nd and 3rd. Maybe a team that can help ease him into the games could settle him down. If so, he could take a team on a bit of a run.

May just be wishful thinking, but with salary retained, I could see someone taking on half his remaining cap hit to bolster their goaltending depth. Currently on 50% retention he only cost a team about $800K on the cap and that number drops about $11K per day.

vCash

Someone taking a flier on him next year might make out well. He put up a couple years of great numbers here and then a couple not so good years.
    As for the San Jose situation. That'd actually be a really good example of a team that'd be interested. Both goalies sub-.900, but they have a really good team. I could see Cam rebounding well with a team he knows can bail him out if he flubs one early and as the confidence would build perhaps he shores that up.

In terms of cap, demoting Bell would take another $250K off the impact of adding Cam and they have that space.

However, they probably want to help Jones out of his funk because of the contract and they've already burned their 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks. Can't imagine they'd want to move many more.
    Last edited by bone; 01-25-2019 at 11:58 AM.

vCash

I could see why no one would trust him, but a team with typically good defense but bad goaltending may take a flyer for the playoff/cup run hoping that his number are moreso a reflection of the team defense in front of him rather than his overall ability.

He could be one of those that just needs a change of scenery. When he doesn't get scored on early in a game, he actually plays pretty well more often than not, and even then he usually settles down and plays okay in the 2nd and 3rd. Maybe a team that can help ease him into the games could settle him down. If so, he could take a team on a bit of a run.

May just be wishful thinking, but with salary retained, I could see someone taking on half his remaining cap hit to bolster their goaltending depth. Currently on 50% retention he only cost a team about $800K on the cap and that number drops about $11K per day.
    It would be nice if it worked that way, but that's not how the cap works in the NHL. It's not how much you spend in a year, it's what your cap hit is at any given moment. So even though a returning team might only pay that actual amount of money for Talbot, he would still count for over 2 million towards the cap even with half retained. It's the same reason that the prospect of Sekera returning screws us. If we knew for sure he want returning, we could use his cap space. But if and when he does return, we are instantly over the cap and have to shed salary.

vCash

It would be nice if it worked that way, but that's not how the cap works in the NHL. It's not how much you spend in a year, it's what your cap hit is at any given moment. So even though a returning team might only pay that actual amount of money for Talbot, he would still count for over 2 million towards the cap even with half retained. It's the same reason that the prospect of Sekera returning screws us. If we knew for sure he want returning, we could use his cap space. But if and when he does return, we are instantly over the cap and have to shed salary.
    I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

Cap is tracked daily, that is why teams often try to load up on cap space by doing daily demotions to accumulate space late in the year. Using the San Jose example, by staying below the cap most of the year, they've accumulated enough cap room to acquire a $3.7M dollar contract. If they made zero changes between today and deadline they'd have enough space to take on a $6.7M contract (though these numbers are not likely the final numbers as they only have 21 players on the roster, and the 22nd is on IR)

LTIR relief on the other hand can't be accumulate which is why the Oilers have been screwed in replacing Sekera's cap hit this year unless they'd know he would never return this season.
    Last edited by bone; 01-25-2019 at 12:30 PM.